Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbert
How close do you have to eat to your UP day calories?

I get a generous amount of UP day calories, I know I will not reach the max most of the time unless I'm eating out. If I'm 500 below the max is that going to mess up the plan? How close should I be eating to max on my UP days?
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I try to get close but I've found my downfall is to try and "force" calories late in the day. I tend to make bad food choices in that situation. I'm still working on that lol.
Most days, if I just eat as hunger dictates, I get within 300-400 cals of it. If it's more below than that, I'll have a serving of nuts, half an avocado, or something to get some "compact calories" in
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
For me, I don't lose if I don't eat very close to the upper limit of my UD calories (or even go over.)
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6/239.2/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 9 June 2013
I truly haven't tried dropping them! I eat to satiety - which normally takes me + or - 200 cals (on Feast days - more!)

Oh yes - and pesky wine!!! often takes me over!

I do have a lot to lose - so maybe it is easier for me?

Last edited by MintQ8; 01-08-2012 at 07:47 AM..
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I always eat up to my UD calories. I had trouble a couple of times, but no trouble now. I did, however, lower my UD calories by nearly 150 from what the website recommended. I also always stay well below 500 on DDs. It seems to be working for me.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Dr. Johnson describes the UD calories as a 'limit' rather than a recommendation, understanding that no calculator can actually determine an individual's caloric requirements. The key to JUDDD is the DD number.

I lost over 100 lbs on JUDDD eating far below the calculator number for my UDs because I already knew what calorie level I needed for loss.

If you can lose eating to your UD number, that's fine, but, IMO, 'forcing' food to meet some arbitrary number is contrary to any sensible concept of weight management.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #7

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Dr. Johnson describes the UD calories as a 'limit' rather than a recommendation, understanding that no calculator can actually determine an individual's caloric requirements. The key to JUDDD is the DD number.

I lost over 100 lbs on JUDDD eating far below the calculator number for my UDs because I already knew what calorie level I needed for loss.

If you can lose eating to your UD number, that's fine, but, IMO, 'forcing' food to meet some arbitrary number is contrary to any sensible concept of weight management.
And yet, for many of us, that exact concept and practice has helped our metabolic function so that we are able to now eat at calorie levels that were previously our undoing.

I guess if you can't push it, then you can't push it. And if you don't ever try the practice of eating up to your limit, and then eventually trying to keep increasing that limit a bit too, that is fine too. It's certainly everyone's choice as to whether they want to or not. But for many of us who follow that practice, it has paid handsome dividends in that we don't have to live our lives at low calorie levels even on our UDs.

It's at least worth a try. If someone truly follows this practice over the months they do JUDDD, and it doesn't help them, then Oh, Well... But if they are pursuing this practice of pounding their cycling up against a set Calorie Ceiling, and it's able to keep increasing metabolism as a result, it's a nice thing to have happen.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Administrator

My comment about "forcing" food is my mental block nothing to do with the JUDDD plan. My choices are the issue, not the numbers lol. Instead of 2 walker shortbread cookies, I should have an ounce of almonds. KWIM?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
My comment about "forcing" food is my mental block nothing to do with the JUDDD plan. My choices are the issue, not the numbers lol. Instead of 2 walker shortbread cookies, I should have an ounce of almonds. KWIM?
Yup.. I know. Regardless of the food plan or the calorie/carb, etc. numbers, healthful food choices are always a good thing to keep in mind. But I like that on JUDDD I sometimes get to choose the shortbread cookies too. LOLOLOLOL

Incidentally, we're getting together with three of DH's grown children and their spouses next weekend. They want me to make them the peach cobbler recipe that you gave to me awhile back.. (it was your mom's or grandmother's ?) I'm cracking up as I type this, but I'm going to make it!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Administrator

Oh that's a good splurge though. It was my grandmothers recipe and it is soooo good! I hope you enjoy it!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Oh that's a good splurge though. It was my grandmothers recipe and it is soooo good! I hope you enjoy it!
Ha! I'll bet we will. You said it was... sweet, Sweet, SWEET, so that should do the trick.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
From my experience and many of those I have read about on our JUDDD forum eating up to or at least close to your UD calories seem to work the best in losing weight.

This is a choice we all have to make; whether to eat as much as the calculator recommends or not. This is totally up to us but I have found in my weight lose journey with JUDDD that eating up to my calories helped the weight to come off very easily.

And the one thing I love about JUDDD is I didn't have to starve to lose the weight I did, nor have I had to lower my calories on either day to keep it off. As a matter of fact I eat more calories now than when I was losing.

This may not work for everyone but for me it's working like a charm!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 01-08-2012 at 07:39 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
Hey, anyone who doesn't want their excess UD calories I'll take them! hahahaha. No, seriously this WOE has really shrunk my appetite even on UDs; however, I still manage to eat every last 1,800 cal!!!
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I think my UP day cals are a bit too high for me but I think it's because I exercise and that upped the calories. I'm going to eat as close as possible within reason and see how that goes. The DD before keeps my appetite very supressed on the UP day. But boy, I still want food on my DD once late afternoon rolls around. I actually get hunger pains sometimes. Going to try lots of broth this afternoon.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert View Post
I think my UP day cals are a bit too high for me but I think it's because I exercise and that upped the calories. I'm going to eat as close as possible within reason and see how that goes. The DD before keeps my appetite very supressed on the UP day. But boy, I still want food on my DD once late afternoon rolls around. I actually get hunger pains sometimes. Going to try lots of broth this afternoon.
As to that UD calorie number and the influence of exercise on the number given you... most of us use the *no exercise* choice when we calculate our UD calories because of this thought: Why do we want to exercise and hopefully burn a few calories (to our benefit!) and then turn right around and eat a bunch more calories to put it all back on???

It would be one thing if we were lean and strong and needed to know how much extra to add in for that weight maintenance number, but we're not in that situation yet if we are still trying to lose some more pounds. So it's usually not a good idea to calculate using an exercise level to give you more calories and a higher calorie number. I think it just slows down your weight loss.

As long as you are happy with your rate of weight loss, that's all good, but if you become irked that your weight loss is a bit slower than you're very happy with, you might want to recalculate your UD calories, using that *no exercise* choice in the exercise part of the equation.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Ahhhh...good tip. I shall recalculate without exercise!

Recalculated - much better, I can eat all these calories or close to it. But my poor DD! Boo Hoo - lots of broth for me on those DD.

Last edited by qbert; 01-10-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert View Post
Ahhhh...good tip. I shall recalculate without exercise!

Recalculated - much better, I can eat all these calories or close to it. But my poor DD! Boo Hoo - lots of broth for me on those DD.
LOL, gbert. You can still eat at 500 calories on your DDs.

But by this time two weeks from now, you may want to be fasting on your DDs completely.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
F

And the one thing I love about JUDDD is I didn't have to starve to lose the weight I did, nor have I had to lower my calories on either day to keep it off. As a matter of fact I eat more calories now than when I was losing.

This may not work for everyone but for me it's working like a charm!
Same here! In fact, I have recently been losing more than I intended and that's after maintaining on higher calories than I used to lose in the first place!

I would rather eat (and drink) the higher UD calories as high as I can and still lose weight in weight-loss mode, than limit myself. It can be tempting to lower the calories to lose, but in the end I'm glad I stuck with the higher numbers because I think it helped my metabolism. Because like I said, once I lost all the weight I wanted and went onto maintenance, I was able to eat FDs and maintain! And still lose a little more weight, even.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote