Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
keeping track of calories/cooking

The hardest thing for me so far with this woe is cooking. I'm not a recipe follower, so I am not going by a list of measured items that I'm trying to match. Instead I cut up two zucchini, for example, and weight them, throw them in the soup, move onto the next item, etc. So I end up with this longish (depending on what I'm making) list of ingredients by weight, all in grams. At the end I weigh the whole thing and scoop out my serving and weigh that and figure out the cals. It's enough to make me want to only eat out of a box.

Sooo, I want to make this easier. I was thinking I should enter all the ingredients I use in ************ by the gram. And then for my "recipes" I would have to call them "veg soup #1" etc and enter the servings as the total number of grams in the soup. So if I was having 317 g of soup for my serving, I'd enter 317 servings fo my daily calorie counter.

Is that how you all do this? Or do I need to scrap this and follow a recipe?

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Ha! I identify with this, especially when I'm making my favorite veggie stir fry. I use fresh mushrooms, broccoli, carrot, onion, and green pepper. I also weigh all ingredients. I've been known to pop a little piece in carrot into DH's mouth and tell him to eat it... it was a bit more than my recipe called for.

The best way I've found to do this is to make a big batch of something and then measure it out into servings, in separate containers for the refrigerator or freezer. Then do my figures, and note the calories for each serving. So it's done once, and then all 8 servings are the same size, so it's done for all of those times too.

And if you have your recipe, each time from then on you can weigh out and put in the correct amount of ingredients, and it's already figured from the first time, and it's always the same forevermore.

Leftover odds and ends of veggies that are over my recipe weight limit get chopped up into DH's salad or eaten somehow on my following UD.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
My usual methods were more careless than most.

Often I would "eyeball" the amounts of items in what I was making, though usually I would measure with a measuring cup, but I know it's not as accurate as weighing.

I used ****** to track calories, which I understand is primitive compared to some of the other programs out there, but it was just what I already had set up and was used to. If I created a custom food in there, like something I fixed at home, I could just pull it up again and adjust the amount the next time I made it.

Finally, if it was just getting too complicated or time consuming to figure out each item that went into a dish, I would just use the generic food on ******. For example, "meat lasagna". I might have different items than what they had in it, but I would use their meat lasagna as a starting point.

HTH.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I reserve any sort of casserole dish for up days and then do what SophietheCat describes -- use the generic info. Most of the time the food I cook is easy to figure though, as my DH does LC and we eat mainly grilled meats, roasted veggies, and salads for dinner.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
We eat out a lot and not always at places that have nutritional information available. I also use the generic items a lot and have been pretty successful, so I think it's working.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote