Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
Eating Light and Getting Heavy

Found this blog last night and love everything on it, but this article I wanted to share with my JUDDD friends.

This is exactly how I feel about light, substitute and frankenfoods and it is so refreshing to see that someone else feels the same (and has been successful eating real foods)

Eating light and getting heavy | Can You Stay For Dinner?
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I agree/disagree with her thinking.
I'd rather have a grilled cheese with light bread and 2 wedges of laughing cow cheese than half a sandwich with "real" cheese and bread for the same calories, kwim?
I do love real food, but I don't see any real issue with slimmed down versions of real foods (light whole grain breads that are really just sliced thinner versions of the regular ones, for example).
A lot of the low-carb bread products use the same ingredients in smaller amounts and add fiber, flax, etc which is not a 'bad' thing, imo.
She apparently followed Weight Watchers? Which is a great program! And many of their cookbooks have recipes that would fit in well with JUDDD (lol I wish I'd kept all the old WW cookbooks I've had over the years!)
I just don't really agree with the whole "eating less is all it takes to lose" philosophy as being the only way to lose.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Thanks, good article.

Before I came to LC, I had been eating full-fat, real foods for over a year (until I slipped up and started packing on the weight with sugary foods, being too sedentary, etc. so that my insulin resistance got the better of me).

Then on LC, I ate all manner of full-fat, real foods again (just didn't get to enjoy the other food groups I used to love - like good breads ).

When I started JUDDD, I had to get used to buying low fat, lite, low cal versions for DD. I also started using them on UD to save calories since I had a calorie ceiling.

After a while, I realized I was not getting enough satisfaction or fullness on DD - my body was craving what I wasn't getting - the proteins, for example. So when I started having more real whole foods on DD, just less of them, I started doing better. And doing FD in maintenance, I wanted to go back to the full fat, whole foods that I enjoyed before. I feel better about what I'm eating.

That's just my experience. I don't actually measure, but I estimate if I eat the whole, full-fat real foods 75% of the time, and still let myself have high carb, fast food, frankenfood at times, I'm doing well for myself.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I've pretty much gone to just eating the real thing.. whatever it is. I have a few *alternate* versions of some spreads and syrups, but for the most part these days, I'm over having half the refrigerator devoted to the real thing and the other side storing my low cal & and low fat versions. Now I just eat real food. It's easy enough to eat the naturally low calorie foods on DDs, so I don't need to cut much further by using franken products.

Example.. I still eat shirataki noodles, but they aren't a franken product. They are a real noodle, made from a real plant source, and eaten in daily life in other parts of the world. They just happen to be so low cal that they work for us too. Win-win.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

If you read her blog alot of her recipes are veggie based and whole food based. She has an entire entry on how she eats salads every day, but changes it up with putting the previous nights leftovers etc. She did lose the weight following weight watchers, but in other posts (and in this one) that during her journey she moved more towards whole foods.

I agree that sometimes having lighter bread etc is a nice way to get more bang for your calorie buck, but sometimes people go very overboard. I think there is a happy medium. I do use lower fat milk, cottage cheese etc, and a few other things like light soup in my arsenal, so I am not saying it is all bad, but it is a good reminder that the food that nature provides sometimes is already a low cal option.

Overall good choices with real foods, veggies, whole grains with an emphasis on health is the best way to go.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Administrator

WW for the most part is "real" foods, which is great and why I wish I'd kept the old cookbooks lol
Old 01-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I don't buy any "lite" or "diet" or "fat free" foods -- they all taste like chemicals to me. But I don't have a problem with things like oat fiber, extra fiber, etc.
And:
Quote:
I just don't really agree with the whole "eating less is all it takes to lose" philosophy as being the only way to lose.
Yeah, I couldn't disagree more. It's all very complicated and those complication vary person to person, body chemistry to body chemistry. If all it took was to eat less, then we would all be thin.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Here is the part that stuck out to me

The problem with all of these extremes- of eating and exercising, is that you’re not learning to live long term. You’re not discovering balance in the process of losing weight. And we both know that though we’re able to create an at-home version of a burrito that’s 300 calories, burritos are 800 for a reason. They are delicious and should be eaten in their full glory- without sacrificing cheese, without having to go low carb on the tortilla, without having to measure the rice and beans as though your life depends on it. We don’t need to process the food to make it smaller and more compact, to make it fit into our hungry bellies. The joy that comes from arriving at a place of moderation and balance and wholeness is worth taking the long, natural route.

That has always been my biggest concern, making this work long term, thats why I couldn't stick to very low carb, because in the real world carbs are everywhere and i couldn't always carry around an arsenal of stuff. I am learning to eat the same thing everyone else is and just not having to eat as much. Learning that if it is something that is considered "bad" that unless it tastes like it is sent from the heavens i am not going to bother. We live in a world of lots of goodies, lots of heavy calories, lots of big dishes. DD's really have helped shrink my tummy and I just no longer can consume the quantity of food I used to and if I push it, I am miserable. I love this, I love that I have been able to do this on JUDDD and that I no longer need to eat like a line backer. I love that I am satisfied on so much less and because of that i want to make every calorie count. I have a few friends at work who are in various stages of having had weight loss surgery and they are all struggling with the same thing, but it is so night to know that i didn't have to go to extremes to alter my body to get to where i was satisfied on less.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
Start Date: 12/26/11
Thanks, Kristi, I'll definetly checkout her website!! I also LOVE Skinnytaste website because she adds calories to her recipes and you can save her recipes in a recipe box! They all use natural foods, too! She even has categories of WW points that also have the calories not just the points.
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4chloe View Post
..........but it is a good reminder that the food that nature provides sometimes is already a low cal option...........
I like this, Kristi. That's my thoughts for my DD eating.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

" DD's really have helped shrink my tummy and I just no longer can consume the quantity of food I used to and if I push it, I am miserable. I love this, I love that I have been able to do this on JUDDD and that I no longer need to eat like a line backer. I love that I am satisfied on so much less and because of that i want to make every calorie count."

Thank you for saying what I was feeling, but I couldn't put my finger on it!! I love DD days for that reason and I choose my UD calories of 1,800 with real food now instead of all junk/processed as much as possible. I look back at my 1st and 2nd UD on JUDDD and I ate spent those calories on junky foods that made me feel bloated afterwards...not anymore!

Beth

Last edited by Wine2; 01-07-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Old 01-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I'll definitely read some more of her blog. I like the sentiment, and I aspire to eat all whole real foods. I don't actually buy anything that is a low fat version of a normal food. If I'm going to eat it, I usually want the real thing. And I think fat is great for my body. (Although I must admit I just ordered some PB2 because I'm hoping it'll make a kickin' asian-style dresssing for shiritaki noodles and salads.) I do use artificial sweeteners, but that is mostly about my blood sugar, rather than weight loss. And that is how I will be living the rest of my life even out in the real world, unfortunately.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4chloe View Post
Here is the part that stuck out to me

The problem with all of these extremes- of eating and exercising, is that you’re not learning to live long term. You’re not discovering balance in the process of losing weight. And we both know that though we’re able to create an at-home version of a burrito that’s 300 calories, burritos are 800 for a reason. They are delicious and should be eaten in their full glory- without sacrificing cheese, without having to go low carb on the tortilla, without having to measure the rice and beans as though your life depends on it. We don’t need to process the food to make it smaller and more compact, to make it fit into our hungry bellies. The joy that comes from arriving at a place of moderation and balance and wholeness is worth taking the long, natural route.

That has always been my biggest concern, making this work long term, thats why I couldn't stick to very low carb, because in the real world carbs are everywhere and i couldn't always carry around an arsenal of stuff. I am learning to eat the same thing everyone else is and just not having to eat as much. Learning that if it is something that is considered "bad" that unless it tastes like it is sent from the heavens i am not going to bother. We live in a world of lots of goodies, lots of heavy calories, lots of big dishes. DD's really have helped shrink my tummy and I just no longer can consume the quantity of food I used to and if I push it, I am miserable. I love this, I love that I have been able to do this on JUDDD and that I no longer need to eat like a line backer. I love that I am satisfied on so much less and because of that i want to make every calorie count. I have a few friends at work who are in various stages of having had weight loss surgery and they are all struggling with the same thing, but it is so night to know that i didn't have to go to extremes to alter my body to get to where i was satisfied on less.
and especially what is bolded I can so relate to this! I had read enough and had enough experience with different diets in the past that I knew what I was going to stick with for life had to be something realistic in the modern world. Yes, back in Paleo times we would have had our perfect diet without excess sugary carbs and Frankenfood, but in 2012 it is all around us and we must learn to live amongst it happily and with as much ease as possible and still enjoy health and long life.

So LC for me would not work for me in the long term. JUDDD allows me to enjoy all things and yet I find myself usually wanting the best things, and still have the "luxury" of indulging whatever whenever too, for enjoyment and ease of living. Plus, JUDDD and other IF comes with a host of other benefits above and beyond.

sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #14

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
not to be a mud sticker...

but I wonder how much of her real whole foods actually are "whole". Does that include eating the skin on the chicken, or cream from the milk, or liver and kidney from the cow?

Back on topic...

I understand the gist of the article, that if you rely upon light items, then what to do in the "real world". Well for one thing, I doubt you'd eat deli sandwiches, and chocolate chip cookies as representative of "real world" eating, and if a person would rather have a huge bowl of fat free sugar free pudding instead of two small cookies and milk, then they are more than happy with that exchange, real world or not.

Sometimes light is a choice a person makes BECAUSE it give more freedom, it's not always as limiting as she claims it to be. If I go to subway, I expect to either eat the bread or not, and I know the bread is higher calories, but I also don't eat subway every day, so for my everyday bread, I enjoy the light, because it's what we do most of the time that has the impact upon our lives.

I'm having trouble reconciling these extreme foods in my mind. In JUDDD, Up days are "free" down days are Low cal, Fat makes me satisfied, Fat is calorically dense. I could just eat fat on Up days and eat less food in general on down days, but if I wanted the flavor of a certain food that is normally calorically dense, and I can have it on a down day without sacrificing later meals, then WHY NOT?

For me, I think of low fat versions of stuff to be enhancements, not staples. Fat free cheese is NOT good by itself, but a few shreds sprinkled on a Down Day Dish is an enhancement. I'd never just eat a bite of Fat Free Cream Cheese, but stirred into Rotel Chicken can give me the smooth texture without the extra calories on a down day. But my regular recipes will always use the natural full fat ingredients.

I don't need my bread to be the richest starch densest it can be, the light bread is just fine. I don't need my fruit jams to be jammed with sugar to be "real", I enjoy the reduced sugar jams just as much if more, cause they don't make me feel as bad after.

There is a certain amount of freedom in limiting oneself. this is from the person who puts ghee on her low carb ice cream. . . and pretty much on everything else. Limit what works an enjoy the things you find hard to limit. there is only so much you can eat each day, why not make the most of it with whatever freedoms you choose and whatever limits allow you to choose them more freely. I limit sugar and add fat. What's wrong with that?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Great article, thanks Kris! Very "thought" provoking!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chona
Start Date: November 8, 2011
I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but, haha, I made a joke. I can't resist jumping into the fray. Just some thoughts:
I question the blogger's use of the nebulous and relatively undefined, "real" food. Ever check the sides of the packages of the stuff you're eating?
I write a lot on my blog about what the FDA allows food manufacturers to label under such monikers as "natural flavors" and the like, and trust me, you have no idea how many chemicals and down right inedible substances are used in much of what is sold commercially.
For many products, the supposed 'real' thing has just as many chemicals, modifiers and stabilizers as their diet counterparts. Important to take that into consideration when using terms like "real" food. Many times, it just means high fat and loaded with extra calories.
Just MHO.
As we used to say in WW, nobody got fat just eating carrots.

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."
Gandhi

Last edited by Chona; 01-09-2012 at 06:39 AM..
Chona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chona View Post
I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but, haha, I made a joke. I can't resist jumping into the fray. Just some thoughts:
I question the blogger's use of the nebulous and relatively undefined, "real" food. Ever check the sides of the packages of the stuff you're eating?
I write a lot on my blog about what the FDA allows food manufacturers to label under such monikers as "natural flavors" and the like, and trust me, you have no idea how many chemicals and down right inedible substances are used in much of what is sold commercially.
For many products, the supposed 'real' thing has just as many chemicals, modifiers and stabilizers as their diet counterparts. Important to take that into consideration when using terms like "real" food. Many times, it just means high fat and loaded with extra calories.
Just MHO.
As we used to say in WW, nobody got fat just eating carrots.
I so totally agree with this. I'm another one who believes that regardless of the product, if it is manufactured and packaged, check the label.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
Administrator

So true Chona.
I opt for frozen over canned for veggies if I can't get decent fresh, just to avoid the sodium.
I had switched to bragg's aminos over soy sauce, but after really looking into it, Bragg's isn't gluten free and it's not really lower sodium - it just looks that way because the serving size is so small! (I switched to coconut aminos for those reasons).
So many things that claim natural and organic seem to get away with some pretty iffy stuff!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
So many things that claim natural and organic seem to get away with some pretty iffy stuff!
I hope hope that isn't true of Trader Joe's many "natural" foods that I buy because I'm always telling my family when I serve something that it's, "Trader Joe's NATURAL...BLAH BLAH BLAH!" Oh well...I still love their food and prices! I love Amy's foods too but NOT her prices!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine2 View Post
I hope hope that isn't true of Trader Joe's many "natural" foods that I buy because I'm always telling my family when I serve something that it's, "Trader Joe's NATURAL...BLAH BLAH BLAH!" Oh well...I still love their food and prices! I love Amy's foods too but NOT her prices!
FYI, Beth. I did a little research for you into Trader Joe's. We don't have one here, so I don't shop there obviously. But I know it's a popular chain. On their website is this disclaimer. Mind you, this is only about GMOs, which are a particular bugaboo of mine because the FDA doesn't require any food manufacturer and processor to label whether or not they are used in the production of their products. Of course, socially conscious companies do, which is why I spend my money on their products.
In a nutshell, their labels are fine, but they don't guarantee that all the products they carry are. Hope it helps.

"Our customers can be assured that all products in Trader Joe’s private label are sourced from non-genetically modified ingredients. Our efforts began in 2001, when we determined that, given a choice, our customers would prefer to eat foods and beverages made without the use of genetically engineered ingredients. Our process has been to identify any product containing ingredients that could potentially be derived from genetically engineered crops and work with our suppliers to replace offending ingredients with acceptable alternatives."
Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Hey, thanks, Chona! Good info! It's too bad there isn't a TJ's near you because I swear even their frozen veggies taste fresher than supermarket brands!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine2 View Post
Hey, thanks, Chona! Good info! It's too bad there isn't a TJ's near you because I swear even their frozen veggies taste fresher than supermarket brands!
Sigh... I KNOW. I have even gone so far as to contact the company and send photos and information about vacant property here that could host a store! The closest one is 2.5 hours away. And, yes, DH and I have driven there in the past and spent $$$ to stock up. Same with Whole Foods. Guess I just gotta move!