Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Trip to the Asian Market... suggestions? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/752684-trip-asian-market-suggestions.html)

Jenn1225 01-06-2012 08:41 PM

Trip to the Asian Market... suggestions?

I'd hate to drive all the way to the market and miss out on getting some awesome DD ingredients. So far the only thing on my list is "glass noodles."

rubidoux 01-06-2012 09:12 PM

I would get a good soy sauce, fish sauce, basil, mint, cilantro, kai-lan (chinese broccoli, yum!), and I'd eat them all with shiritaki noodles on a down day.

mrsdewinter 01-07-2012 04:42 AM

dried seaweed - v low calorie and great as a snack!
edamame beans - again low calorie, great source of protein and great as a snack.

mrsdewinter 01-07-2012 04:48 AM

and just remembered:

miso soup (check out different brands/types for calorie content though)!
great for dds and you can even add a little bit of fresh tofu (low cal!) if you need sth to chew on.

x

KeirasMom 01-07-2012 05:52 AM

fresh ginger and wasabi!
I get the wasabi powder and mix it as I go, but I eat tons of it. Sometimes I sprinkle wasabi powder and a little salt on cucumber slices. It's soooo :yummy:

I got some shirataki dumplings last time I went and I did not like them at all. The noodles are much better.

Seaweed (Nori) for sure. They have flavored ones packaged for snacking, or you can get them by the sheet. I cut up the sheets and put them in broth with shirataki and veggies for a nice asian soup.

My favorite thing to do at the Asian market is just browse. We have a really good one here that's also a fish market. It's always packed, but so fun to look around!

Dottie 01-07-2012 06:11 AM

If they have it, Red Boat fish sauce is just fish and water, no added chemicals crap.
Loads of sodium in most of the sauces though.

SoHappy 01-07-2012 06:49 AM

Shiratake noodles, soy sauce, hot chili sauce, oyster sauce, couple kinds of tea, miso paste, roasted seaweed sheets, pork & shrimp dumplings, various interesting cans of *stuff*, and our has fresh veggies of several kinds that aren't in our main stream groceries.
I love my jar of ground juicy ginger. They have many wonderful kinds of noodles, so fun to try them all. Yellow tofu.

Knittering 01-07-2012 07:42 AM

Everything listed above and baby bok choy, ground chili peppers, little cans of curry paste, Asian radishes -- actually, check all their veggies, they probably have better prices than the regular grocery market.

Jenn1225 01-07-2012 08:21 AM

Wow you guys are amazing! Thank you!

laceylady 01-08-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15305376)
Seaweed (Nori) for sure. They have flavored ones packaged for snacking, or you can get them by the sheet. I cut up the sheets and put them in broth with shirataki and veggies for a nice asian soup.

I just bought these today to try. I had some chicken salad so I put a bit onto a piece of the seaweed -- not much flavor but it would sure save some calories with 40 in 10 small sheets! Something different... and perhaps I'll use them for something other than a wrap. How do you use the small ones?

KeirasMom 01-08-2012 04:38 PM

The small ones with no flavor are made to use to pick up rice (my best friend is Japanese) and eat it, sort of like they use bread in the middle east and India.

The small flavored ones are eaten straight as a snack. I've had a couple of kinds and like them, but some people have a problem with the strong flavor. I like to lay the square on my tongue and let it hydrate, if that makes sense, then chew and swallow. :yummy:

laceylady 01-08-2012 04:47 PM

I guess I have some experimenting to do! :-)