Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Brown shugar sub? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/752631-brown-shugar-sub.html)

Jenn1225 01-06-2012 11:30 AM

Brown shugar sub?

Can somebody tell me what a brown sugar sub is? I see it a lot in the recipes that are posted here and I haven't been able to figure it out lol.

SoHappy 01-06-2012 11:33 AM

Artificial brown sugar, like the artificial sweeteners that are used to replace plain white table sugar. I know there is a brown Sugar Twin, which was disgusting!

I think some people just use a little bit of molasses to give a hint of *brown sugar flavor* when they make stuff.

Is this for a particular DD recipe you are preparing? Otherwise, you could just use real brown sugar and not worry about it.

Jenn1225 01-06-2012 11:48 AM

it's for beeb's muffins

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb
I just used Penguin's recipe and Ouiz's idea and this is what I did:

DRY
1/4 cup oat fiber 0 Cals
1 package Sugar Free Spiced Cider Mix (Mine is called Strurm's but I saw the Alpine in Walmart today, same calories) 10 Cals
1/2 tsp baking powder 0 Cals
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon (less or more to taste) 3 Cals for 1/2 tsp 6 Cals for 1 tsp
Good sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice 2 Cals
1 tsp Ideal Brown Sugar Sub 0 Cals
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder (use 1 full tsp if you want) 0 Cals

blend dry ingredients

WET
1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites 30 Cals
1/4 to 1/2 cup water (eyeball this, starting with 1/4 cup and mixing to get the batter to look like a bit thicker than cake batter, almost like a brownie batter consistency) 0 Cals
* 2 tbs Walden Farms Marshmallow (I keep this in there to keep it from getting too dry and it added a nice flavor, also) 0 Cals

I mix everything in a onion soup crock, but any large mug would do. Microwave about 2 1/2 minutes or until it's not wet in the middle anymore. Serve warm or let chill in fridge. I also made a "frosting" using 1 TBS FF cream cheese, softened a bit in microwave, and mixed with a bit of vanilla DaVinci's SF syrup (or use any flavor you like) 15 Cals. Split the chilled muffin and put this frosting in the middle! YUMMY!!

Total for this muffin with frosting: 63 Cals using 1 tsp cinnamon and 60 Cals using 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

Total for this muffin without frosting: 48 Cals using 1 tsp cinnamon and 45 Cals using 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

Dottie 01-06-2012 11:51 AM

I like the Ideal Brown Sugar that netrition sells. To me it has the cleanest, true to brown sugar taste of all the ones I've tried.

Jenn1225 01-06-2012 11:54 AM

Once I get comfortable with the diet I'll be ok ordering items offline, but for now do you know of anything decent that's sold in stores?

SoHappy 01-06-2012 11:57 AM

In that recipe, since the amount is so tiny at just 1 teaspoon, I'd either use real brown sugar, or skip it altogether, or use 1 teaspoon of dark molasses. I don't think it can add so much at that tiny measurement that you will notice much difference.

Hazelsmrf 01-06-2012 01:10 PM

I've had success with using erythritol or splenda and some blackstrap molasses.

Jenn1225 01-06-2012 01:19 PM

Thanks guys! I'll just go ahead and use the brown sugar I already have. It'll save me some money which is always pretty sweet lol.

Knittering 01-06-2012 01:51 PM

Yeah, one tsp of brown sugar is about 15 calories -- even on a DD, I wouldn't sweat that. :)