Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbert
Hunger

I just started this because I suffer from diet fatigue and feel the JUDD plan will address that. I'm finding I am hungry on my down days. Apparently I just crave a bit more food because on my UP days I am not feeling hunger at all (and I sometimes have to think about how to add some calories). How do I battle this hunger..some of it must be mental since I know I am limited on my cals for the day. Is this normal when starting JUDD?
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I'm sure it's normal, however for me in the past what has worked for me is to concentrate on protein or protein/fat. I find it hard to overeat egg whites. Or really for 500 calories you could eat like 7 hardboiled eggs, that would keep you pretty full all day. I find it helps if I don't eat until afternoon as well, it's HARD the first few times you do it but then if you consistently fast in the mornings, you stop being hungry in the mornings. So even on my up days (of which I've only had 2) so far I have not eaten before about 2pm, I want to keep that "no hunger in the mornings" thing going since it's SO helpful on down days.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Welcome qbert!

How many calories are you allowing per DD, and what is a typical menu for you?

Quote:
Is this normal when starting JUDD?
Definitely. My first few DDs were really hard and I was second-guessing the wisdom of this plan. Now I'm rarely hungry at all during my DDs.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
What Hazel said. For some of us, more protein is the answer to not feeling hungry constantly on DD.

Also, are you saying that you find yourself hungry on DD and then not so hungry on UD, as though your body has its hunger signals backwards? If so, I went through that as well at first, and I think other people reported it too. It goes away with time, especially when you start fueling yourself well on the UDs.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

hunger

Yes, exactly. I find I am thinking about eating and feeling hungry on my DD and my UP days I find I only need a little meal and I am not hungry at all. But I need to eat more on the UP day so that my cal count is not too low. I do admit that for me, there is a mental component - when you can't have it you want it more type of thing. Of course I am thinking about what I can have the following UP day - haha.

I just started but I am aiming for 500 DD (and I have had to add 30 or so cals to that on occasion. On my UP days, well, I am getting between 1600-1800 on average. I do exercise. I'm not noticing any fatigue when exercising on either DD/UP. I'm making an effort to eat more on my UP days cause I am used to eating less calories daily.

Although I haven't weighed myself, I think I look like I may have lost a little. I don't look like I've gained at all. Today I am cooking some chicken and will try adding that protein throughout the day and see if that helps. Protein shakes don't really satisfy me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
What Hazel said. For some of us, more protein is the answer to not feeling hungry constantly on DD.

Also, are you saying that you find yourself hungry on DD and then not so hungry on UD, as though your body has its hunger signals backwards? If so, I went through that as well at first, and I think other people reported it too. It goes away with time, especially when you start fueling yourself well on the UDs.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you've been having protein shakes on your DDs, that could be the problem.

For some reason, my body doesn't register liquids as food, and despite the calories in a shake, it's always as though I have had nothing.

Moreover, when I first started JUDDD, from the low calories on DDs, I realized that artificial sweeteners make me hungry! I'm one of those people whose bodies consider anything sweet the same as pure sugar.

Once I switched to whole foods, focusing on protein (as others have mentioned), DDs were much, much easier.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Welcome, qbert. Glad you're with us.

I think it's pretty normal to feel hungry on DDs when you first start on JUDDD. Most of the time we come from plans (or none at all) where we just eat whenever we're hungry. An amazing number of us don't even know how to accept the feelings of being hungry before mealtime but waiting to eat until mealtime. We come from a society that snacks all the time, is so terrified of being out somewhere and getting hungry and not having anything available to eat, that we carry food in our purses and cars.. just in case. We see people actually admit that they can't stand to feel hunger. And, gee.... look where we've ended up. LOL So once again, welcome to the JUDDD forum, where I think you are going to be able to learn how to deal with your eating and with food in a whole new WONDERFUL way that allows you to eat anything you want to include in your meal plans, and slim yourself down to a lovely new body weight.

Part of not feeling hungry on Down Days is a matter of your brain & tummy getting into a whole new habit about eating. But that takes a bit of time to happen sometimes.

Part of not feeling hungry on Down Days is finding out what foods keep you feeling full and completely satisfied and even WELL FED. For some, that's protein, protein, protein. For others, myself included, it lots of food mass, and so huge bowls of amazing salads and plates heaped with veggie stir frys satisfy me. Undoubtedly you will experiment with your DD meals to find out what food choices satisfy you and keep the hunger at bay.

Also, most of us have to find out when it's best for us to eat on our DDs. Probably most of us don't even eat for the first time until midday sometime.... just drink hot coffee or tea during the morning hours. An occasional person eats breakfast, and even eats most of their calories early and then little for the rest of the day. And lots of folks hold off eating and enjoy their fasting until evening, when they give all of their DD calories to a wonderful and gloriously delicious Down Day Evening Meal. (Remember those Olive Garden TV ads that touted all of their fabulous meals.. *many of them under 500 calories*..)

And then too, many of us just can't hold to that small number right off the bat. I tried but often had to eat more than that before the day was over. I was a weinie. So some of us have to start out at a bit higher calorie number on our DDs, and then make a real effort to bring that DD number down as we get into it. And that works too.. only slows you down a bit at the beginning.

I expect you will find out what works the best for you very shortly. Good luck with whatever your choices are. JUDDD works! If you follow the plan, and if you have your calorie numbers set fairly correctly, I expect you will be eating very, very well while the excess weight gradually melts off of you and you become slim and in great health.

Glad you're with us!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for the advice. JUDD seems to be the right fit for me mentally and I won't feel constant deprivation since I'm looking for a "way of life" plan. I seem to need/crave the most calories by the end of the day so I am already hoarding as many as I can for later in the day. I do eat breakfast though, even if it is a small one.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
to our JUDDD family! And as many have said, and so well, too that DD hunger will go away with time and it is important to eat up to or at least very near your UD calories to not be so hunger on the DDs (at least that is how is works for me ). Give yourself some time and patience and you will see it getting easier and easier. DDs are not my favorite days but are needed to keep me at this wonderful weight I now am. A bit of hunger is a trade off I gladly accept to feel and look the way I do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
If you've been having protein shakes on your DDs, that could be the problem.

For some reason, my body doesn't register liquids as food, and despite the calories in a shake, it's always as though I have had nothing.

Moreover, when I first started JUDDD, from the low calories on DDs, I realized that artificial sweeteners make me hungry! I'm one of those people whose bodies consider anything sweet the same as pure sugar.

Once I switched to whole foods, focusing on protein (as others have mentioned), DDs were much, much easier.
And this ^^^^ is me, also. I have to "eat" my calories or I just don't feel like I have eaten anything. I also have stopped using artificial sweeteners because they did nothing but trigger me to eat. Even on my UDs I tend to watch eating things with AF in them and I never add it to my coffee/tea anymore on either day.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 01-06-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
i am just adding in that it does get easier. Some DD's are easier then others, I have had a few DD's around ovulation or TOM that have been a bit rougher.

My go to is broth, beef and chicken. The Wylers bouillon cubes are only 5 calories each and I find I can use the double the water (2 cups to 1 cube) in a big lidded coffee mug and sip that and it works. Wyler's makes lower sodium cubes if that helps.

Some do this and add a little bit of cream to make it creamier but i like the clear broth.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with Kristi, hot broth helps me a lot on DDs when I'm hungry. (Lately, I haven't been.) I like it with crushed-to-powder hot chilies and then thickened a little with gluc. If I'm really hungry I'll add a serving or two of chop suey veggies (15 calories per serving.)

Gluc pudding is great too -- I make it with almond milk and it comes out to about 40 calories per cup.

And don't forget those recipes for oat fiber muffins! They are very low calorie and HUGE.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post

Gluc pudding is great too -- I make it with almond milk and it comes out to about 40 calories per cup.

And don't forget those recipes for oat fiber muffins! They are very low calorie and HUGE.
Do you have a link for those recipes? The gluc pudding though... I can't imagine that anything called Gluc tastes very good
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

They are both in the sticky thread at the top -- Down Day Recipes Only.

The gluc pudding is very tasty! And the oat fiber muffins are even better. There's lots of other goodies in that thread too, I recommend going through it and copy/pasting the ones that appeal to you. I haven't made anything on it that I haven't liked.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
They are both in the sticky thread at the top -- Down Day Recipes Only.

The gluc pudding is very tasty! And the oat fiber muffins are even better. There's lots of other goodies in that thread too, I recommend going through it and copy/pasting the ones that appeal to you. I haven't made anything on it that I haven't liked.
Interesting, I had never heard of Glucomannan until this. I always just used xanthan gum to thicken my stuff on low carb. SO I guess it just thickens water and then you add whatever flavoring, so it's just something to make you feel like you're eating something of substance without actually eating something of substance? Like eating jello?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I find Gluc a lot easier to work with than xanthan gum -- I could never get anything to come out right with that stuff. Yes, it thickens the water (or whatever you put it in) and adds fiber to what you're eating. You can use it to thicken things slightly or a lot (as with the gluc pudding -- really good with almond milk and Divinci syrup.) I like my broth with veggies about the consistency of hot and sour soup and it works perfectly for that. It also seems to fill me up more than just plain broth? But maybe that's just psychological. Actually, I shouldn't say "just" psychological, since I'm convinced that changing your eating habits is 85percent a head game.
So far: 0/10
Old 01-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #16

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
The glucomannan capsules are good for appetite suppression too, if you need them. I'm trying to transition into not eating breakfast at all and I've taken these the last two DDs and haven't been hungry until lunch time.

I log the calories for the capsules and they are 10 calories for 3. I also opened them and used them as regular gluc until I got my gluc from Netrition.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I log the calories for the capsules and they are 10 calories for 3
You weren't kidding when you said you log everything!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
Interesting, I had never heard of Glucomannan until this. I always just used xanthan gum to thicken my stuff on low carb. SO I guess it just thickens water and then you add whatever flavoring, so it's just something to make you feel like you're eating something of substance without actually eating something of substance? Like eating jello?
I had never heard of it until here either. Can you generally get it at health food stores, or is that something I have to depend on Netrition for?
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BoysMom View Post
I had never heard of it until here either. Can you generally get it at health food stores, or is that something I have to depend on Netrition for?
The loose powder in the bag you have to order I believe. I couldn't find it anywhere near me.

The capsules are at most pharmacies. I think I got mine at CVS or somewhere like that. They're by Nature's Way in a green and white bottle, but I know other companies make them too.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #20

Quote:
You weren't kidding when you said you log everything!
I can be really obsessive/compulsive. It runs in my family, and I refuse to be medicated, lol! I'd rather be just slightly insane.

When I notice a compulsion, I try to moderate it. When I was matching my hangers to like colored clothing, I mixed all the hangers up on purpose so I wouldn't do that anymore. That kind of weird behavior.

My daughter's worse. She's highly intelligent, but very much OCD. When she learned to snap her fingers, she wouldn't stop, even when they were bloody stumps. We really have to watch her!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsdewinter
Stats: 149.9/146.6/116 - 5'4
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 26/12/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert View Post
I just started this because I suffer from diet fatigue and feel the JUDD plan will address that. I'm finding I am hungry on my down days. Apparently I just crave a bit more food because on my UP days I am not feeling hunger at all (and I sometimes have to think about how to add some calories). How do I battle this hunger..some of it must be mental since I know I am limited on my cals for the day. Is this normal when starting JUDD?
Hey qbert,

not sure if someone's mentioned this before and I know it's really quite simple but lots and lots of water, green tea and brushing my teeth (even though I'm usually to lazy to brush my teeth 8x a day) seems to help a bit...oh and maybe chewing gum (even though I've heard that it causes quite a bit of gas - sth about swallowing too much air while chewing)
mrsdewinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
For real hunger, and I have to tell you, the first 7 weeks I was on JUDDD, I was stomach rumbling hungry on my down days, I popped a gluccomannan capsule and/or drank coffee. This was really helpful. I don't get that "gnaw my arm off" hunger anymore like I did at the beginning, but sometimes, I just have the munchies, so I chew some sugar free gum.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm sure it depends on where you live and what sorts of health food stores you have access to. Where I am -- rural Minnesota -- I have one store and thus am dependent on Netrition for everything.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found it (online) but the store wanted over 30$ for 500 grams, super expensive. And Netrition would probably cost me that in shipping.

Last edited by Hazelsmrf; 01-06-2012 at 06:37 PM..
Old 01-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
No, NO! The beauty of Netrition is that they have a flat $4.95 shipping fee, no matter HOW MUCH you order.

I always save up my order with Netrition....if you have $75.00 worth of purchases, there are several freebies, of which you can choose one....and if you have a $200 order, you get 5% (I believe it's **5**) off....but even if you buy a whole UPS truck's worth of order...the shipping is $4.95.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
No, NO! The beauty of Netrition is that they have a flat $4.95 shipping fee, no matter HOW MUCH you order.

I always save up my order with Netrition....if you have $75.00 worth of purchases, there are several freebies, of which you can choose one....and if you have a $200 order, you get 5% (I believe it's **5**) off....but even if you buy a whole UPS truck's worth of order...the shipping is $4.95.

I love how reasonable the shipping is from Netrition! Also, they have prompt, friendly service. I got an order with one item broken, sent them an email, and they sent out a replacement with no hassle or fuss. I didn't even have to send back the broken item, just tossed it in the trash! Netrition's great!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
But she's in Canada.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Not to Canada
Old 01-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Not to Canada
Bummer! Such a spoilsport!

Sorry - I didn't pay attention to your info! Now I understand your disappointment.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Quote:
Not to Canada
Oooooo...you're so close to the border. Too bad you don't know anyone on the NY side. You could have your order shipped to them then make a run *south* to get your goodies.
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote