Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Can I join the party? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/752530-can-i-join-party.html)

2BoysMom 01-05-2012 10:25 AM

Can I join the party?
 
So - 8 years ago I started LC, and had wonderful results. Lost 50 lbs, looked and felt great. Kep it maintained within a reasonable amount by staying low carb for about 4 years, but gradually just got really tired of it, started eating things that had formerly been off limits....and you guessed it. I am now within 7 lbs of where I started all that time ago.

I am a half marathon-walker, so get lots of exercise, but am also heading into menopause, so it has gotten harder and harder to stick to anything and/or see any significant progress.

I have been lurking on this board for a while now, and somehow this makes sense to me....and I really like the idea of every other day being much more "open" to the foods that I have loved and missed so much on other plans.

I will say I ran my numbers, and both my low and high limits seem high to me (ballpark of 700/2800) - so I plan to stick more to 600/2500 - at least to start with, and will see where this all leads.

Wish me luck - today is my first down day, and I am trying not to let the hungry monster get in my way too much. Knowing this is only for today, and tomorrow I can have what I want makes it easier, though. Started off with a cup of hot tea with one splenda - and then later in the morning had a very high protein shake. Just taking this one "meal" at a time.

I have my 30th high school reunion this summer, and a wedding to be in this Spring, so I have extra motivation, too. :)

KeirasMom 01-05-2012 10:41 AM

Welcome Marianne. I just got home from Las Vegas last night. DH wants to move there at some future point, but I'm not convinced. :hyst:

Your numbers seem high to me too, but with your activity level, I'm not sure. One of the more senior members may be able to verify.

mattsmama 01-05-2012 10:54 AM

Hi, Marianne! Try those numbers you propose, and see if they work. If not, you can always tweak. I think you will find this is the perfect plan for you!

MLE 01-05-2012 11:01 AM

From one JUDDD newbie to another, :welcome:

2BoysMom 01-05-2012 11:03 AM

Yeah - I have run the numbers several times, and they keep coming back that way - but it just seems so very high to me. Frankly, the 2500 I quoted I plan to keep as my absolute upper limit - on days that I do my longer trainings. On more "regular" days, I'd like to shave maybe another 250 off that - but then again, we will see. I am doing my best not to lock into any mentality at this point until I have experimented a bit.

It's weird, but the up days scare me almost more than the down days. Sure, I am concerned about how to stay that low on DD's and still feel good - but my "diet mentality" just shrieked when it saw those up numbers...

I'm very excited, though!

Knittering 01-05-2012 11:45 AM

:welcome:

I hope you like this plan as much as I do.
Like you, I did very well on LC but just got sick to death of it. Week after week I couldn't motivate myself to stay low carb past Tuesday afternoon. The first couple of DDs were rough but now they're a breeze.

Be sure to go through the list of DD recipes! There are some great ideas in there. I never would have guessed how far 500 calories can go.

lil miss 01-05-2012 11:47 AM

Hi Marianne!

I am new to JUDDD too and officially begin Monday.

Good Luck!

2BoysMom 01-05-2012 11:54 AM

Right back at you lil miss!!

sophiethecat 01-05-2012 12:00 PM

:welcome: to JUDDD, Marianne! :) Hope you love it!

SoHappy 01-05-2012 12:37 PM

Hi, Marianne! I'm so glad you're joining us over here. This is a friendly group, and a really happy, happy, happy bunch of folks as well... because they're experiencing weight loss combined with meals that include anything they want to eat in the world. Pretty fun. And then combined with the health benefits shown from studies over and over again.. what a pleasant way to treat your body and your spirit.

I would guess that the reason you are getting such a high UD calorie number is because when you are entering your stats in the calorie calculator, you are claiming a level of regular and hard exercise for the calculator to give you calorie allowance for.

This may work out for you. Or it may not. Here's one of the problems with all of that. While *regular* people with little excess body fat beyond normal may well be able to eat excess calories to make up for the calories they burn in exercise, most of us *heavier* people seem to burn far fewer calories in exercise, even when we work just as hard and just as long.

So when we're trying to lose weight, and we are exercising to help us lose weight, the last thing we want to do is then turn around and EAT more food to negate the calorie burn of the exercise we just put in!!! LOL

Most of us, even when we exercise on a very regular basis and work out to the extend of sweaty tiredness, still claim that we are sedentary when we enter our stats into the calorie calculators. That bit lower calorie figure that we are given that way seems to be a lot closer to what works best for us.

Additionally, some feel that the UD calorie number we are given is also too high if we are very much overweight and that *additional* body weight we entered is being used in the final calculation... like we're being given a calorie figure that will have is maintaining not just our slim selves within, but is based on our fat weight. So often folks chop a couple of hundred calories off of their total just to make up for that.

And then too, that figure is a great big general average, and since some of us have better metabolic function and others have lousy metabolisms, we often still have to tweak that UD calorie number.

Just mentioning the above for your consideration. I'm very happy to see you over here and believe you will love JUDDD as much as the rest of us do once you've got yourself into the routine of it. Expect some huge weight bounces shown on the scale if you're a daily weigher! LOL It's wonderful to be able to include more carbohydrate foods in your diet on JUDDD, if you're so inclined, but we do pay a bit of a price for it with some water weight gain once again. So we just shrug and take another bite of cookie and continue with JUDDD and lose weight anyway. :laugh:

Joedi 01-05-2012 01:22 PM

Hi Marianne and welcome to JUDDD! Having a high school reunion to go to is a great motivator...just picture what you want to wear, imagine how good you will look and feel...with juddd you WILL get there.
For me, a good UD (or FD, I do free days now in maintainance), with a good supper, make a big difference to how my DD goes. I now start my DD eating at about 6pm (sticking with white coffee/water till then) and having all my cals in the evening really helps to keep the hungry monster at bay. It took a while to work down to this, but it makes my DD's much easier.

hugs
Jo
x

oneoftwo 01-05-2012 02:56 PM

Welcome ! I am pretty new here too and very happy with JUDDD after being scared of carbs after many years on Atkins.

I am curious, what is a half marathon-walker....you walk 13.1 miles? I am getting ready to train for my second half marathon that is in April. I cannot imagine how long it would take to walk that distance?

lil miss 01-05-2012 03:12 PM

So oneoftwo, you were previously afraid of carbs [as am I] does that mean you now eat them on JUDDD?

I too am a half and full marathoner and Pat, what you said really spoke to me, I have run multiple races int he last 3 years and have gained weight all along the way! I guess I shouldnt have been compensating for calories burned!

2BoysMom 01-05-2012 03:16 PM

Thanks!

Hey Pat - I used both 20% and 25% and also tried it using low level of activity and moderate, and still got what I would consider really high numbers. Never went above moderate for the calcs, as I think you are absolutely right - I just don't burn calories as efficiently even through exercise as I did when I was both younger and lighter.

So - when I put in 20% and light exercise, I got 2806/561 and moderate exercise, I got 3164 and 633

When I put in 25% and LE, I got 2806/702 and 25% and ME, I got 3164/791 (holy guacamole on that high number!!)

Now, I know I have quite a bit to lose (40 - 45 lbs), but this still seems much higher than what I see other folks on here have. (And yes, I made sure I was using inches and pounds! ;) )

So - still a little perplexed, but realize this may not be an exact science. So will start with 600/2250 (perhaps as high as 2500 on high mileage days) and see where it takes me.

So far, first down day, am mid-way through my day and am doing ok. Only 364 calories in, am drinking lots of hot tea and water, and feel better than I thought I would.

Had a bit of a headache, but drank some caffeine and took some Tylenol and it seems to be going away.

I really, really appreciate the support!

2BoysMom 01-05-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneoftwo (Post 15301012)
Welcome ! I am pretty new here too and very happy with JUDDD after being scared of carbs after many years on Atkins.

I am curious, what is a half marathon-walker....you walk 13.1 miles? I am getting ready to train for my second half marathon that is in April. I cannot imagine how long it would take to walk that distance?

Yes, a half marathon walker is just what you guessed - walking the 13.1 rather than running it.

In terms of time, I am a fast walker....so my target is usually around 3:05-3:10 hours - best time is 3:02, worst is 3:25 - that was in the middle of the dessert with no coverage from the sun and on an 80+ degree day. I don't recommend that scenario. So, a lot of how well it goes depends on the race conditions, etc....just as it does with runners. (I have walked one full marathon, too, and did that in just over 7 hours - but once was enough for me to experience 26.2 - that is officially off my bucket list now :D )

I am seriously considering moving over to running. I do running for my cross training, and jokingly call myself a wogger (walk a while, jog a while :D ), so want to gradually increase the jogging piece. I plan to start that by running a 5k in March - but am also training for a half marathon in April, so will be interesting to see how this all pans out. I work with a local running/walking group here, so am hoping my coach will be able to help get me there. Getting this weight off should seriously help my time. Lugging 40 or so extra pounds on the course seriously sucks.

SoHappy 01-05-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BoysMom (Post 15301055)
Thanks!

Hey Pat - I used both 20% and 25% and also tried it using low level of activity and moderate, and still got what I would consider really high numbers. Never went above moderate for the calcs, as I think you are absolutely right - I just don't burn calories as efficiently even through exercise as I did when I was both younger and lighter.

So - when I put in 20% and light exercise, I got 2806/561 and moderate exercise, I got 3164 and 633

When I put in 25% and LE, I got 2806/702 and 25% and ME, I got 3164/791 (holy guacamole on that high number!!)

Now, I know I have quite a bit to lose (40 - 45 lbs), but this still seems much higher than what I see other folks on here have. (And yes, I made sure I was using inches and pounds! ;) )

So - still a little perplexed, but realize this may not be an exact science. So will start with 600/2250 (perhaps as high as 2500 on high mileage days) and see where it takes me.

So far, first down day, am mid-way through my day and am doing ok. Only 364 calories in, am drinking lots of hot tea and water, and feel better than I thought I would.

Had a bit of a headache, but drank some caffeine and took some Tylenol and it seems to be going away.

I really, really appreciate the support!

Are you sure you are asking it to give you the answer in pounds instead of kg?

If you would give me your height and age and current weight, I'd be glad to see what I come up with for you.

Just wanting you to have amazing and happy success on JUDDD, so if we know that your numbers are set pretty good right off the bat, that will get you on the road to success immediately too.

handbells 01-05-2012 04:55 PM

Welcome!

Wine2 01-05-2012 05:03 PM

Welcome...I know you'll love it here!

theredhead 01-05-2012 05:12 PM

Welcome, Marianne! I think you're going to love this WOE and these support threads.

So many people discuss their calorie numbers here, and I'm almost always wondering how tall they are, since that can make a big difference. I'm saying this not just to you, but in general. I wish everyone would post their height in their stats or siggy, so we can put things into context.

oneoftwo 01-05-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil miss (Post 15301042)
So oneoftwo, you were previously afraid of carbs [as am I] does that mean you now eat them on JUDDD?


Since starting JUDDD I have not counted carbs at all or restricted them. I have not gained from it and am so happy to just eat what I want and stop being scared of gaining from eating any carbs

oneoftwo 01-05-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BoysMom (Post 15301080)
Yes, a half marathon walker is just what you guessed - walking the 13.1 rather than running it.

In terms of time, I am a fast walker....so my target is usually around 3:05-3:10 hours - best time is 3:02, worst is 3:25 - that was in the middle of the dessert with no coverage from the sun and on an 80+ degree day. I don't recommend that scenario. So, a lot of how well it goes depends on the race conditions, etc....just as it does with runners. (I have walked one full marathon, too, and did that in just over 7 hours - but once was enough for me to experience 26.2 - that is officially off my bucket list now :D )

I am seriously considering moving over to running. I do running for my cross training, and jokingly call myself a wogger (walk a while, jog a while :D ), so want to gradually increase the jogging piece. I plan to start that by running a 5k in March - but am also training for a half marathon in April, so will be interesting to see how this all pans out. I work with a local running/walking group here, so am hoping my coach will be able to help get me there. Getting this weight off should seriously help my time. Lugging 40 or so extra pounds on the course seriously sucks.

Impressive ! Congrats on moving from walking to running too, good luck !

Beeb 01-05-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15301238)
Are you sure you are asking it to give you the answer in pounds instead of kg?

If you would give me your height and age and current weight, I'd be glad to see what I come up with for you.

Just wanting you to have amazing and happy success on JUDDD, so if we know that your numbers are set pretty good right off the bat, that will get you on the road to success immediately too.


My thoughts exactly!! :goodpost: I think your numbers are a bit high too and I'm thinking you are doing the kg, like most of us have done when using the JUDDD calculator for the first couple of times. :doh::dunno:

:welcome: to JUDDD! Hope you love the journey as much as I have and still do!! :high5::shake:

kris4chloe 01-05-2012 07:44 PM

:welcome:

it is a great place and a great WOE, I am sure you will love it.

I would also suggest running your numbers through some of the calorie counters in this sticky thread http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...lculators.html

it is always good to see what your BMR calorie requirement is, then use that as a basis and see what they say with activity. The JUDDD calculator is very very generous with the calories.

kris4chloe 01-05-2012 07:46 PM

i want to add i am currently 195 and i do 500-700 DD's (just recently trying out a little bit higher DD's) and 1700-2000 on UD's. I work retail 6-8 hour days and spend quite a bit of walking around.

When I started I was doing 500/2200 if that helps you out a bit.

Does sound like you exercise quite a bit more, so try a little higher, but just see what happens and go from there. :)

2BoysMom 01-05-2012 09:52 PM

Absolutely sure I used pounds and inches - read that was a common error, so made sure, but would be delighted to be double checked. I am 5'5", 47, and my unfortunate starting weight is over there <--------- ugh.

SoHappy 01-06-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BoysMom (Post 15301914)
Absolutely sure I used pounds and inches - read that was a common error, so made sure, but would be delighted to be double checked. I am 5'5", 47, and my unfortunate starting weight is over there <--------- ugh.

I entered your stats into the JUDDD Calorie Calculator and it gives you 1885 calories for your UDs and at 20%, 25%, and 30% of UD, your Down Day calories would be 337 or 471 or 566..... so probably the 500 per day that is recommended we start off with.

Incidentally, I entered your stats as female, age 47, 5'-5" tall, weight of 191, and little exercise/desk job level. So, if you want to add in some calories to cover your exercise, you can certainly do so. But during the time of weight loss, I just always think, *Why would I want to exercise away some pounds and then eat more to put it back on?*.. but I may be alone in my thinking on the subject. :laugh:

I also entered your stats into the freedieting site and it come up with a number of 1805 calories. We all think the JUDDD site is pretty generous with its UD calorie figure, as it's usually higher than that given by other sites.

I don't know how you were using the calculator, but I think there must have been something that didn't work correctly. Anyway, those are the numbers I got for you.

mayleesa 01-06-2012 06:37 AM

Welcome!!! the support here is fantastci!!! as you've seen already!!!

2BoysMom 01-06-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15302294)
I entered your stats into the JUDDD Calorie Calculator and it gives you 1885 calories for your UDs and at 20%, 25%, and 30% of UD, your Down Day calories would be 337 or 471 or 566..... so probably the 500 per day that is recommended we start off with.

Incidentally, I entered your stats as female, age 47, 5'-5" tall, weight of 191, and little exercise/desk job level. So, if you want to add in some calories to cover your exercise, you can certainly do so. But during the time of weight loss, I just always think, *Why would I want to exercise away some pounds and then eat more to put it back on?*.. but I may be alone in my thinking on the subject. :laugh:

I also entered your stats into the freedieting site and it come up with a number of 1805 calories. We all think the JUDDD site is pretty generous with its UD calorie figure, as it's usually higher than that given by other sites.

I don't know how you were using the calculator, but I think there must have been something that didn't work correctly. Anyway, those are the numbers I got for you.

Perfect!! Thanks so much - I think because I was using light exercise I was getting higher numbers, but I am perfectly happy with what you got, so will stick with those - thanks again!!

Beeb 01-06-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15302294)
I entered your stats into the JUDDD Calorie Calculator and it gives you 1885 calories for your UDs and at 20%, 25%, and 30% of UD, your Down Day calories would be 337 or 471 or 566..... so probably the 500 per day that is recommended we start off with.

Incidentally, I entered your stats as female, age 47, 5'-5" tall, weight of 191, and little exercise/desk job level. So, if you want to add in some calories to cover your exercise, you can certainly do so. But during the time of weight loss, I just always think, *Why would I want to exercise away some pounds and then eat more to put it back on?*.. but I may be alone in my thinking on the subject. :laugh:

I also entered your stats into the freedieting site and it come up with a number of 1805 calories. We all think the JUDDD site is pretty generous with its UD calorie figure, as it's usually higher than that given by other sites.

I don't know how you were using the calculator, but I think there must have been something that didn't work correctly. Anyway, those are the numbers I got for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BoysMom (Post 15302935)
Perfect!! Thanks so much - I think because I was using light exercise I was getting higher numbers, but I am perfectly happy with what you got, so will stick with those - thanks again!!


Gotta love Miss Pat!!! :love: So glad she could help, as she ALWAYS does! Looking forward to hearing about your success, Marianne! :high5::hugs:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 PM.