Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I fell asleep again last night without Benadryl. I took a bit longer to fall asleep this time, but still fell asleep within an hour. I guess I do miss the effortless passing out from Benadryl and need to retrain myself to learn how to fall asleep naturally, it's hard, my mind just races and things like counting in my head or other just don't work for me.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
I fell asleep again last night without Benadryl. I took a bit longer to fall asleep this time, but still fell asleep within an hour. I guess I do miss the effortless passing out from Benadryl and need to retrain myself to learn how to fall asleep naturally, it's hard, my mind just races and things like counting in my head or other just don't work for me.
So to hear this is helping you, Julie! I bet your body won't miss the Benedryl one bit.

Edited to change "Hazel" to Julie, I forget and use usernames sometimes, lol.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-12-2012 at 01:33 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Edited to change "Hazel" to Julie, I forget and use usernames sometimes, lol.
I respond to both equally, I've been using Hazel as an online handle for ummm... 17 years now!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Sorry, don't mean to turn this into a thread about my gallbladder, lol, but I wanted to get this recorded since I've been mentioning the problem here... was so excited about being able to eat without any problems yesterday! First time in weeks that I felt really really good after eating!

First of all, this is TMI, but Friday night I had my lemon/honey/evoo tea before bed and woke up about 2 - 3 a.m. in severe agony from the most horrible intestinal crampage I've ever had. It was low in my abdomen and felt exactly like the most horrible menstrual cramps I used to get when I was younger, same feeling exactly only it obviously was not menstrual, it was intestinal. So I think it was the same hormone (prostaglandin?) acting on the smooth muscle to cause cramps.

I finally got to leave the bathroom and lay in bed with my lower abdomen and lower back hurting from the cramps I'd endured. But it was over and I fell asleep. Woke up a little sicky feeling, as I'd been most mornings since the new year.

Strangely, everything felt better when I actually got up and started moving around. I have maintained a normal appetite through all that, but yesterday I felt the least sick I have since the New Year - almost normal.

Had a nice breakfast of a waffle with butter, syrup, and 2 sausage links. And no sick feeling! I didn't get my hopes up too much. The day was just getting started after all.

Ate at Bob Evans with family at 4 p.m. Was nervous about it since I've been having the gallbladder symptoms, particularly after a heavy or fatty meal, and I had no apples or anything with me (they seem to help my gb). But since I'd had breakfast at 10 a.m. with no pain, I ordered...

I had 1/2 of a huge cheeseburger with mayo, all of my french fries slathered in ketchup, and zucchini bread.

Normally a meal like that (meat, cheese, fries) would make me have nausea and malaise or flu-like symptoms where I would have to take to the couch for at least an hour. Or at the very least, uncomfortable pressure/ache under the rib and some nausea.

I waited for the inevitable, hoping, hoping.... three hours passed and no ache or nausea!

Then went to family's and later had over the course of the evening - 3 plates of food - ham, mashed potatoes & gravy, homemade noodles, green beans, corn, mac & cheese, and later some cake & ice cream.

I DID eat an apple after the 2nd or 3rd serving, just in case. But no problems!

I still felt a bit of pressure or sensation in that area that let me know there hasn't been a total cure yet, and I will still go get it checked out this coming week. But yesterday was the first time since New Year's Day (14 days) I haven't had either constant ache or nausea and flu-symptoms after eating.

Last night we got home late and I didn't have time to have my lemon/evoo/honey concoction, but I will have some later this evening.

I wish a doctor could just test and tell me exactly what all has been going on, but I have a feeling it's a combination that my liver was sluggish and the gallbladder was sludge-y.

OK, enough rambling on my problems.... sorry for that.

So... anyone else still having honey at night?
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I wonder if, during that night of cramps, you flushed some stones out of your gallbladder with your concoction, and that's why you've been feeling better? I hope the good feelings continue!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
If it's any help, and if your home is set up this way--I turn on the TV when I go to bed, something non-stimulating like House Hunters, and it keeps my mind from racing and I fall asleep. I can set a timer on my TV so it will shut off by itself, or sometimes I wake up an hour later and shut it off--but by then, I have no trouble falling back asleep.
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
Sophie, please do me and of course yourself a favor and go to the doctor about your gallbladder. The gallbladder can do similar to the appendix in that it can become congested (with or without stones) and eventually infected and rupture. I've been worrying about you and want you to be healthy and pain free.

SORRY FOR THE THREAD HIJACK
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
If it's any help, and if your home is set up this way--I turn on the TV when I go to bed, something non-stimulating like House Hunters, and it keeps my mind from racing and I fall asleep. I can set a timer on my TV so it will shut off by itself, or sometimes I wake up an hour later and shut it off--but by then, I have no trouble falling back asleep.
That won't work for me, I can't sleep with ANY noise. In fact I have to wear ear plugs to bed just to drown absolutely everything I can out. White noise is OK (and the reason I wear the ear plugs, because then my breathing becomes kind of like white noise in my head) , but if there are people talking or anything like that I won't fall asleep with it on.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Hazel, just wanted to share my rx for insomnia (I've suffered since I was a teen and now my poor dd is following in my footsteps. This works for her too).

I use Rescue Remedy (made by Bach) each night on going to bed. 4 drops on the tongue. Most nights, this is all I need and I'm snoozing in 15 minutes or less. During ovulation or TOM, it might not be enough, and I then take Hyland's Calm's Forte 4 Kids (it must be the kids formula, the regular calms forte did nothing for me), 4 pellets dissolved under the tongue.

It just shuts my brain off and lets me relax and sleep. Both are natural/homeopathic and I have no problem taking them each night. My 5 yo even uses the calms forte sometimes if she has trouble going back to sleep after a bad dream.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I have some Rescue sleep spray - did not do much, did not know about the drops, do they work better?
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'll look into it... homeopathy though you say? I do not have a good track record with homeopathic remedies, I don't really believe in them so maybe that makes them not work.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: irene61189
Stats: 163/163/140
Start Date: 01/11/2012
1 mg of melatonin sublingual works great for putting me to sleep. I have been using this for several years now. Takes about 30 minutes (I usually watch a sit com) then I'm out like a light.
irene61189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Melatonin doesn't do anything for me unfortunately, i've gone through a whole bottle of it but I still needed to take Benadryl while I was taking that.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I don't use the sleep spray, just the regular Rescue Remedy. Melatonin did nothing for me but give me a raging headache after about a week of use.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #75
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Melatonin and Calm's Forte do nothing for me. I take Benadryl to sleep.

I also have very bad car anxiety and we take a lot of car trips, so I've tried to find something "natural" for my anxiety. The only thing I've found that works is Valerian root which is also supposed to help with insomnia, though it only helps me not stress as much, doesn't really help me sleep.

I tried Kava Kava root for anxiety too, and ended up having a bad allergic reaction to it.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sampsonsw
Insomniac

I too take the Diphenhydramine 50 for years now for sleep. I also have the raw honey[wildflower] which I use on toast , smoothies etc. I also at night have been eating it on a slice of high fiber bread with peanut butter but still take the sleep aid. I also have tried the chamomile tea before bed. Didnt seem to work well never went into a deep sleep. So now Im thinking I will try the honey at night in warm water nothing else for a few days and see what happens.

I would also like to make the break from coffee, tried before and get awful headaches.
sampsonsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Thanks for this thread, Jenny. You come across the most interesting things. I've seen vague references to The Hibernation Diet, but it was lost in all the many plans, diets, programs and such out there. Does anyone else feel that a Scottish accent (the video) gives credibility? Somehow, it does for me!

Wanted to report that I tried this last evening, had the honey plain, only about 1/2 tablespoon. Our honey is from the healthy food store and has the honeycomb in it - that's good, right? It does not say "raw" on it. It does say "organic". I have some expensive Manuka Honey in the cabinet unopened, but I am saving it for more urgent needs someday, in case anyone gets MRSA or a wound.

I must report a long, involved dream with many players, many venues, all the same long story. It started out just interesting, but ended up, at 4:58 a.m., as a bad dream from which I only awakened when "I", in the dream, put my head in my hands to cry!

Not unusual for me to dream, but this was a movie, lol. I did feel rested, never did get back to sleep, which would have been less than an hour to go.

If it's true that we can gauge how much quality sleep we get by how much dreaming we do, then I got quality! If it's true that remembering the dreams signals healthy short-term memory that night, then I had it.

You certainly can't say that you dread having a little honey in the evening, so I'll try this again tonight and hope I'm one of the type 1 people in Jenny's listing, who feels better after the first night.

Where on the net are ya'll finding other reading on this?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dee1904
WOE: JUDD
Quote:
First of all, this is TMI, but Friday night I had my lemon/honey/evoo tea before bed and woke up about 2 - 3 a.m. in severe agony from the most horrible intestinal crampage I've ever had. It was low in my abdomen and felt exactly like the most horrible menstrual cramps I used to get when I was younger, same feeling exactly only it obviously was not menstrual, it was intestinal. So I think it was the same hormone (prostaglandin?) acting on the smooth muscle to cause cramps.
Sounds like you may have a blocked bile duct. The pain does not happen all the time just every once in a while. Go to the doctor and get an ultrasound can tell you if you have this. Also if you have pain in the back by the shoulder blades this is an indication as well.
Dee1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #79
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Interesting! I'll have to try this in the summer, when local honey is available at the farmers market Right now the only kind I have access to is the stuff in the bear shaped containers at the grocery store
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Whitlin~
Interesting. There is a lot of info online about this particular diet. I think the most fascinating thing about this particular plan is the connection between gut & brain. I have learned so much researching GAPS and hope to use it to my family's health benefit.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

One week report - My husband and I have continued to take 1/2 tablespoon honey each evening before bed. This is all the calories I can add to my days in good conscience - I know others doing this take more, but I do watch my calorie intake on JUDDD even though I am in maintenance, and I just can't do anything that goes against my plan.

No more unusual dream experiences for either of us after mine the first night. Neither of us has gained any weight because of it. We've both lost slightly, but it could be attributed to so many things - I don't see how I could prove it has to do with the honey, but at least I know the honey didn't make us gain.

Both of us report to each other that we've been sleeping better. My husband says he is convinced it has changed something for him, and wants to continue. He wants to go back to the healthy foods store for more honey. I seem to awaken more refreshed.

So I don't have any proof, but it seems to have been good for us.

Sophiethecat, I hope you're feeling better.

Anyone else continued experimenting with this?
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cool beans!
I haven't tried it for a while.

If you haven't been using raw honey, and if you can get it at the store (or online), I really recommend it. It looks more solid & creamy-white than regular honey, and is supposed to be much more beneficial. It's also really delicious!!! I've seen a couple of exposés on the honeys sold in grocery stores, and they *might* not be 100% honey.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Jenny, I had two choices this time at the healthy foods store, neither with comb inside. (This is an "EarthFare Natural and Organic Foods" - I think it's all right just to say the name here. )

One honey said the word "raw" on it but I didn't think it looked raw, you know? It was as clear looking as the second choice. Can it even be raw if it is clear? By the way, is having comb in the jar, like the one we've been using, any indication that it is raw? It has to be, right? Wrong? The other choice was from closer to my home, and I recognized the name because these folks, with good reputation, sell also at a farmer's market near here in the summer. It happened to be "wildflower" honey. It did not, however, say the word, "raw". (the label was obviously homemade, very few words)

I bought the farmer's market one from nearby because I assumed it would be unprocessed. Well, my husband hates it! Do you suppose this is because it is wildflower honey and he is tasting some unusual flavor he's never had? Or is it processing? He even made a joke about wondering what kind of wild plants they had growing near them and whether some landowner may have changed over to the illegal variety, lol!

I'll have to purchase something else because he says he's not going to bother with this one again. Sigh. No, I don't purchase from grocery stores because I've read that random tests prove some are mostly corn syrup. If I can't be satisfied with this store, their competition, WholeFoods, is in the next town - I could call them at least to ask if they have true raw honey.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmm, maybe I'm wrong and it's just the particular brand of raw honey that I get that is white. It's called YS Eco Bee Farms Raw Honey.

I would think that honey with the comb is raw, but not sure. I mean, maybe they *could* put a chunk of clean comb into the jar and then pour pasteurized honey into it?

Yes, honey can have very different flavors depending on the flowers! I got some buckwheat honey a few years ago that I *hated*!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Cover your neck, top of shoulder, behind ears and temples with Magnesium oil, about an hour before you want to sleep. The additional magnesium will help you in many others ways too
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #86
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Wow I am glad I sleep pretty well because I loathe honey only slightly less than I hate cucumber. And if you knew how much I hate that, aaarrrggghhh!

I take a magnesium tablet at night but the magnesium oil is getting so much publicity right now I might have to try it. They also rave about it for joint pain. My arthritic knee is soooo much better after adding 4500mg of Glucosamine to my supps, but anything that helps in the long term I in interested in too.

Thanks KB.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote