Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alibaba
Stats: 240(pregnant)/176/165
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 5/12/14
Anyone lose weight after an UD?

I ate 2000 calories yesterday, and still was a full pound lighter than the pervious day. How is that possible? Probably just a one time fluke, since the general trend seems to be a gain after up days. I'm not complaining, just seems weird.
alibaba is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
On and off. I've started weighing after DD's but a lot of times when I was weighing daily, I'd lose on an UD and either stay the same or gain on a DD lol.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
OK I just looked at the spreadsheet I keep. Since starting JUDDD October 26, my weight was lower about 8 times after an up day. I like the theory going around that on DDs, your body is holding on to water and fat just in case it will be starving a long time. Then when you eat on an up day, it releases it all because it knows all is well.
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
I've only had 2 UD and have lost a half pound each time. Haven't lost after a DD so far.
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The number on the scale on any given morning does not reflect what you ate the preceding day--unless it happens to be water retention from some substance. For example, I'm highly sensitive to MSG, and if I accidentally have some in a restaurant, I can show a 5 lb gain the next morning, but that's simply water bloat.

It takes out bodies a while to digest food, making use of the nutrients involved with that food takes even longer, and releasing or storing fat takes even longer than that. So the time from eating to scale number can be 48 to 72 hours--or longer.

It may take longer because our bodies are involved in processes that we don't control. For example, at times we may lose fat, but the body may fill those empty cells with water temporarily. We don't see a loss on the scale, and then perhaps a couple of days later, the body releases that water, and we see the drop.

One of the fallacies of daily weighing is that it can indicate how specific foods affect us, but, in fact, we have no way of knowing which foods are responsible for the number on the scale--with the exception of something we may have an allergic reaction to as with my MSG.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Leo!

Yes, I've had drops after UD.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karen925
Stats: 192/mid 120's maintaining; 5'8", 49 yrs
WOE: low calorie low carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Oct 2009 low calorie/low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
The number on the scale on any given morning does not reflect what you ate the preceding day--

One of the fallacies of daily weighing is that it can indicate how specific foods affect us, but, in fact, we have no way of knowing which foods are responsible for the number on the scale--with the exception of something we may have an allergic reaction to as with my MSG.
Excellent points. One small caveat, for me, I was able to figure out wheat's in particular, carb's in general, effect on me. But that took several months of careful monitoring and observation. I am not gluten free but I am gluten reduced. Pasta is more problematic than french or italian bread at elevated quantities. These effects are not necessarily weight gain but often are. As I daily record my weight, it becomes easier to incorporate habitual observations of other symptoms Imwish to monitor. Not an either/ or situation for me but and/both. Weigh myself & my food daily and while entering that data include other observations as well. All of this recording, at this point, takes takes a couple of minutes each day. A small price I am willing to pay.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karen925
Stats: 192/mid 120's maintaining; 5'8", 49 yrs
WOE: low calorie low carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Oct 2009 low calorie/low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba View Post
I ate 2000 calories yesterday, and still was a full pound lighter than the pervious day. How is that possible? Probably just a one time fluke, since the general trend seems to be a gain after up days. I'm not complaining, just seems weird.
Loss 2#s following an UD yesterday. Overall trends is the important thing to keep an eye on.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I lost over 2 pounds after yesterday's UD, but I am recovering from a weekend eating free-for-all. Water weight comes off fast, if you are religiously doing your DDs, I think.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
I have - not often - but sometimes. The weightloss is ongoing - and can happen at any time - yay!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
out of 79 days on JUDDD 11 out of 39 UD's I have lost, a couple more I maintained.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
I've had losses after several UDs, as well since starting JUDDD
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Yup, it happens, as you can see from the other posters, and has happened to me, too!

I was just glad to be losing and didn't care whether it was an UD or DD!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba View Post
I think the surprise is because sometimes we lose sight of the fact that weight loss isn't a straight cause and then immediate result affair.

So while your previous DD and even the DD before that one have probably reduced your body fat some as your body was forced to use stored fat for fuel, at that time your body probably filled those empty fat cells with water... just to hold them for awhile, in case you overate shortly and needed to pack some of the overage back into those fat cells as FAT once again.

So you're stepping on the scale and not seeing much difference OR... you seeing mostly the results of filling and emptying your gut of meals in the process of digesting and food moving through you, the results of filling with food fuel and running low on it (if you get my drift here), but what you are seeing shown on the scale isn't the whole story of what is happening.

So when you spend a period of hours releasing extra water from those cells finally, as your body realizes you aren't going to be needing them after all, you finally see that true weight loss shown some happy morning.

The true weight loss from FAT loss is a bit slower for us to notice sometimes, and it's magnified and more noticed when the loss also occurs in combination with a weigh-in after a DD, but it can be enough that it is seen even after the belly-fill of an UD too.

Combine all of this with the body's inclination to retain water off and on throughout a month normally, and the body's inclination to retain water after drinking or eating too-salty foods or after dosing with certain medications, and it's a wonder we can ever depend on what the scale tells us at all. (Which is somewhat true, at that!)

So if you'll weigh each morning and record the weight, and then notice your high and your low of that week, just for fun, but record the average weight of your seven days at the end of the week, you will normally see that average being a smaller number week after week as your JUDDDing continues.

And this happy result is just your life unfolding as you live it, enjoying every other day of not having to be on a diet. Of dining out with friends, of having family over and putting on a fun meal, of parties and celebrations and some completely fabulous Holiday treats.. those that are family traditions, etc. etc. etc.

(Every time I write about JUDDD, I fall back in love with it all over again. LOL)

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-04-2012 at 09:15 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

(Every time I write about JUDDD, I fall back in love with it all over again. LOL)
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
I notice my big losses occur after a truly liberating trip to the throne room - if you catch my drift...
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
I notice my big losses occur after a truly liberating trip to the throne room - if you catch my drift...
LOL Yes! Between the throne and the scale being in there, it is one of the most joyful rooms in my house!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
This has been a very helpful and informative thread!Lots of wisdom and experience here. I have not lost yet after an UD but I'm pretty new. Just read the thread about hanging in there for 2 weeks because that's when results begin to kick in.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote