Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Anyone lose weight after an UD? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/752364-anyone-lose-weight-after-ud.html)

alibaba 01-04-2012 06:41 AM

Anyone lose weight after an UD?

I ate 2000 calories yesterday, and still was a full pound lighter than the pervious day. How is that possible? Probably just a one time fluke, since the general trend seems to be a gain after up days. I'm not complaining, just seems weird.

Dottie 01-04-2012 06:51 AM

On and off. I've started weighing after DD's but a lot of times when I was weighing daily, I'd lose on an UD and either stay the same or gain on a DD lol.

julietcc 01-04-2012 06:58 AM

OK I just looked at the spreadsheet I keep. Since starting JUDDD October 26, my weight was lower about 8 times after an up day. I like the theory going around that on DDs, your body is holding on to water and fat just in case it will be starving a long time. Then when you eat on an up day, it releases it all because it knows all is well.

belfrybat 01-04-2012 06:59 AM

I've only had 2 UD and have lost a half pound each time. Haven't lost after a DD so far.

Leo41 01-04-2012 07:03 AM

The number on the scale on any given morning does not reflect what you ate the preceding day--unless it happens to be water retention from some substance. For example, I'm highly sensitive to MSG, and if I accidentally have some in a restaurant, I can show a 5 lb gain the next morning, but that's simply water bloat.

It takes out bodies a while to digest food, making use of the nutrients involved with that food takes even longer, and releasing or storing fat takes even longer than that. So the time from eating to scale number can be 48 to 72 hours--or longer.

It may take longer because our bodies are involved in processes that we don't control. For example, at times we may lose fat, but the body may fill those empty cells with water temporarily. We don't see a loss on the scale, and then perhaps a couple of days later, the body releases that water, and we see the drop.

One of the fallacies of daily weighing is that it can indicate how specific foods affect us, but, in fact, we have no way of knowing which foods are responsible for the number on the scale--with the exception of something we may have an allergic reaction to as with my MSG.

sophiethecat 01-04-2012 08:22 AM

:goodpost: Leo!

Yes, I've had drops after UD.

Karen925 01-04-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 15295915)
The number on the scale on any given morning does not reflect what you ate the preceding day--

One of the fallacies of daily weighing is that it can indicate how specific foods affect us, but, in fact, we have no way of knowing which foods are responsible for the number on the scale--with the exception of something we may have an allergic reaction to as with my MSG.

Excellent points. One small caveat, for me, I was able to figure out wheat's in particular, carb's in general, effect on me. But that took several months of careful monitoring and observation. I am not gluten free but I am gluten reduced. Pasta is more problematic than french or italian bread at elevated quantities. These effects are not necessarily weight gain but often are. As I daily record my weight, it becomes easier to incorporate habitual observations of other symptoms Imwish to monitor. Not an either/ or situation for me but and/both. Weigh myself & my food daily and while entering that data include other observations as well. All of this recording, at this point, takes takes a couple of minutes each day. A small price I am willing to pay.

Karen925 01-04-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alibaba (Post 15295850)
I ate 2000 calories yesterday, and still was a full pound lighter than the pervious day. How is that possible? Probably just a one time fluke, since the general trend seems to be a gain after up days. I'm not complaining, just seems weird.

Loss 2#s following an UD yesterday. Overall trends is the important thing to keep an eye on.

theredhead 01-04-2012 09:07 AM

I lost over 2 pounds after yesterday's UD, but I am recovering from a weekend eating free-for-all. Water weight comes off fast, if you are religiously doing your DDs, I think.

MintQ8 01-04-2012 09:28 AM

I have - not often - but sometimes. The weightloss is ongoing - and can happen at any time - yay!!

kris4chloe 01-04-2012 09:49 AM

out of 79 days on JUDDD 11 out of 39 UD's I have lost, a couple more I maintained.

pjsam1156 01-04-2012 09:54 AM

I've had losses after several UDs, as well since starting JUDDD

Beeb 01-04-2012 10:05 AM

Yup, it happens, as you can see from the other posters, and has happened to me, too!

I was just glad to be losing and didn't care whether it was an UD or DD! :up::laugh:

SoHappy 01-04-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alibaba (Post 15295850)

I think the surprise is because sometimes we lose sight of the fact that weight loss isn't a straight cause and then immediate result affair.

So while your previous DD and even the DD before that one have probably reduced your body fat some as your body was forced to use stored fat for fuel, at that time your body probably filled those empty fat cells with water... just to hold them for awhile, in case you overate shortly and needed to pack some of the overage back into those fat cells as FAT once again.

So you're stepping on the scale and not seeing much difference OR... you seeing mostly the results of filling and emptying your gut of meals in the process of digesting and food moving through you, the results of filling with food fuel and running low on it (if you get my drift here), but what you are seeing shown on the scale isn't the whole story of what is happening.

So when you spend a period of hours releasing extra water from those cells finally, as your body realizes you aren't going to be needing them after all, you finally see that true weight loss shown some happy morning.

The true weight loss from FAT loss is a bit slower for us to notice sometimes, and it's magnified and more noticed when the loss also occurs in combination with a weigh-in after a DD, but it can be enough that it is seen even after the belly-fill of an UD too.

Combine all of this with the body's inclination to retain water off and on throughout a month normally, and the body's inclination to retain water after drinking or eating too-salty foods or after dosing with certain medications, and it's a wonder we can ever depend on what the scale tells us at all. (Which is somewhat true, at that!)

So if you'll weigh each morning and record the weight, and then notice your high and your low of that week, just for fun, but record the average weight of your seven days at the end of the week, you will normally see that average being a smaller number week after week as your JUDDDing continues.

And this happy result is just your life unfolding as you live it, enjoying every other day of not having to be on a diet. Of dining out with friends, of having family over and putting on a fun meal, of parties and celebrations and some completely fabulous Holiday treats.. those that are family traditions, etc. etc. etc.

(Every time I write about JUDDD, I fall back in love with it all over again. LOL)

kris4chloe 01-04-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15296697)

(Every time I write about JUDDD, I fall back in love with it all over again. LOL)

:D

pooticus 01-04-2012 10:25 AM

I notice my big losses occur after a truly liberating trip to the throne room - if you catch my drift...

SoHappy 01-04-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooticus (Post 15296774)
I notice my big losses occur after a truly liberating trip to the throne room - if you catch my drift...

LOL Yes! Between the throne and the scale being in there, it is one of the most joyful rooms in my house! :laugh:

Yam-Yam 01-05-2012 05:28 PM

This has been a very helpful and informative thread!:goodpost:Lots of wisdom and experience here. I have not lost yet after an UD but I'm pretty new. Just read the thread about hanging in there for 2 weeks because that's when results begin to kick in.