Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Coffee creamers? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/752295-coffee-creamers.html)

Jenn1225 01-03-2012 12:25 PM

Coffee creamers?
 
I know this has probably been asked somewhere on these forums but I'm in a bit of a time crunch. What are some low calorie coffee creamers or something I can use as a creamer? I got away with using HWC on the LC diet but I don't know what's available to me now.

Cutting out the coffee is not an option lol we have a mutual love of eachother =).

MintQ8 01-03-2012 12:34 PM

Can't help - sorry!! But I'm sure someone can!

Knittering 01-03-2012 12:39 PM

Just half and half for me -- I don't care for those chemical concoctions. (I also don't mind using a percentage of DD calories on half&half because I usually fast until mid-afternoon.)

Mommie22boys 01-03-2012 12:40 PM

Sugar free coffee creamer. I know coffeemate makes a couple of flavors, and other brands likely do too. Mine is 15 cal/ Tbls.

Knittering 01-03-2012 12:51 PM

Also, I started by mixing my HWC with h&h (and gradually reducing the HWC) until I adjusted to the different taste and texture. It probably sounds silly but not being able to have my coffee with HWC every single day was a huge hurdle for me in trying JUDDD! That was by far my favorite thing about LCing but I think I was drinking about 500 calories worth of coffee a day. No wonder I couldn't lose anything... :hyst:

Beeb 01-03-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 15293950)
Just half and half for me -- I don't care for those chemical concoctions. (I also don't mind using a percentage of DD calories on half&half because I usually fast until mid-afternoon.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommie22boys (Post 15293955)
Sugar free coffee creamer. I know coffeemate makes a couple of flavors, and other brands likely do too. Mine is 15 cal/ Tbls.

I use both but have been drinking my coffee black on most DDs to save calories (was "drinking" almost 100 calories in my coffee/tea:doh:) and put those saved calories toward more food I can chew! ;) So far I'm liking my black coffee! :up:

rubidoux 01-03-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 15294008)
Also, I started by mixing my HWC with h&h (and gradually reducing the HWC) until I adjusted to the different taste and texture. It probably sounds silly but not being able to have my coffee with HWC every single day was a huge hurdle for me in trying JUDDD! That was by far my favorite thing about LCing but I think I was drinking about 500 calories worth of coffee a day. No wonder I couldn't lose anything... :hyst:

I am leaning towards trying this, weaning myself slowly off the hwc that I :love:. Or I might force myself to drink it black for a while in the hopes that I'll get used to it. That would be such a monkey off my back. I've always been worried about the fact that I consume so many calories or carbs with my coffee.

If I liked sugar in my coffee, I think SF coffeemate might be okay. But I really don't want it sweet.

PirateJenny recommended light cream, but I don't think they even have it here in san diego. I used to buy it years ago and I liked it for coffee, but the dairy guy at Ralph's had never heard of it. So weird!

kel7298 01-03-2012 01:30 PM

I use fat free half and half (1 T = 10 cals)on DD's and regular whipping cream (1 T = 45 cals) (not HWC) on UD's.

SoHappy 01-03-2012 02:06 PM

I was lucky in not liking coffee with HWC. That oil slick floating on the top gakked me out. :laugh: But I love coffee with lots of half & half. I also love great teas, so usually stop at a single cup of coffee, if any, on DDs and drink mugs of scalding hot teas of various kinds on those days. I save my coffees for UDs more.

I occasionally enjoy some of the flavored liquid coffee creamers sold alongside the cream in the dairy cases, but don't make much of a habit of including those. Just once-in-awhile the thought of a specially flavored coffee will appeal.

belfrybat 01-03-2012 02:53 PM

On an UD I use half 'n half. On a DD I use 2% milk. Gotta have some whitener in my coffee, but the fake stuff is higher calorie or carb than 2% milk, so I go with that.
When I have it, I use Calorie Countdown (formerly Carb Countdown), but I have to drive 30 miles to get some, so don't always have it on hand.

itsmeshelly01 01-03-2012 04:00 PM

I use either fat free half and half or fat free coffeemate, 10 cals per tablespoon.

Jenn1225 01-03-2012 06:29 PM

Thanks guys! I decided to try unsweetened almond milk for now. Its not too bad at 2.20cals/tbsp (35cals/cup). Its definitely a taste I have to get used to though.

itsmeshelly01 01-03-2012 06:42 PM

I tried that and couldn't do it. Couldn't even taste 1T. I had to use a quarter cup to taste it then it was still 10 calories... lol you should try the fat free half and half. It's a better flavor. I guess it depends on how much you are drinking per day. I usually have about 50 calories per day of cream.

Dottie 01-03-2012 07:12 PM

Sweetened and/or flavored:
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (silk pure almond is 35 calories per cup) + 10 drops ez-sweetz or sweetener of your choice + 1tsp vanilla or extract of your choice @ about 3 calories per tablespoon.

If you want it richer, replace 1/4 cup of the almond milk with half and half @ 80 cals making it 8 calories per tablespoon.

laceylady 01-03-2012 07:29 PM

I just use about 1/2 tsp of powdered in my coffee -- I add DaVinci's SF Caramel in it as well, and it tastes pretty darned good!

Beeb 01-03-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15295199)
Sweetened and/or flavored:
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (silk pure almond is 35 calories per cup) + 10 drops ez-sweetz or sweetener of your choice + 1tsp vanilla or extract of your choice @ about 3 calories per tablespoon.

If you want it richer, replace 1/4 cup of the almond milk with half and half @ 80 cals making it 8 calories per tablespoon.

I just figured out how to make a creamer using 1 cup Blue Diamond Coconut/Almond milk (new product I found), and 1 cup Calorie Countdown FF Milk, sweetener and extract of choice! 2 TBS will be 5 CALORIES!! Thanks for the idea, Dottie!! I may even add a bit of Gluc to thicken it up some, like a HWC texture! :up: Will try it on my next DD and let you all know what happens with and without the Gluc added!

Jenn1225 01-03-2012 08:08 PM

Shelly that would be great but I use A LOT of creamer lol thanks though and I'll keep that in mind.

Thank you Dottie, I have all of that so I'm going to give it a try :).

Dottie 01-04-2012 07:19 PM

I read about the almond/coconut milk but haven't found it yet! Will have to try it:)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:05 AM.