Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
My first JUDDD challenge

This Thursday is a down day for me. I really want to keep it a down day. I've accepted an invitation to dinner at my father's girlfriend's home. She invited my family for a casual pizza night. They've been dating for awhile, and I think it is getting more serious. I've only met her a few times and this is the first time she's invited us over. I really like this woman and I don't want to insult her or hurt her feelings. I am not a "save my calories til the end of the day kind of person' - I would be a grouchy mess. I have 200 calories planned for DD dinners. How do I navigate this evening?

Do I tell her/my dad about JUDDDD and just explain? I don't want them to think I'm weird, with weird picky eating habits....

Do I just pretend to eat and eat my regular dinner before or after?

She is a wine collector and has/serves really nice wine and I know I'll be offered wine.... I don't want to say no to everything without some kind of explanation.

I need a plan!

Last edited by LightlyStarched; 01-03-2012 at 09:30 AM..
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post
This Thursday is a down day for me. I really want to keep it a down day. I've accepted an invitation to dinner at my father's girlfriend's home. She invited my family for a casual pizza night. They've been dating for awhile, and I think it is getting more serious. I really like this woman and I don't want to insult her or hurt her feelings. I am not a "save my calories til the end of the day kind of person' - I would be a grouchy mess. I have 200 calories planned for DD dinners. How do I navigate this evening?

Do I tell her/my dad about JUDDDD and just explain? I don't want them to think I'm weird, with weird picky eating habits....

Do I just pretend to eat and eat my regular dinner before or after?

She is a wine collector and has/serves really nice wine and I know I'll be offered wine.... I don't want to say no to everything without some kind of explanation.

I need a plan!
You could make today a MD, Wed. a DD, and Thurs. an UD.

Or you could keep today a DD, make Wed. a MD, Thurs. an UD.

Or you could keep today a DD, make Wed. an UD, make Thurs. a MD.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
This is the perfect time for use of a Medium Day (MD)!!! Half-way between your DD calories and your UD calories.

You could then eat MD calories on Thursday, which would leave you plenty of calorie allotment for her sweet get-together, which sounds like it will be *casually special*, and kind of important to your dad and this nice lady.. and to you as well, as you say you really like this woman and seem to be very happy for your father's happiness.

Then you could push your DD onto Friday, instead of having it on Thursday, so you'd do the DD... just a day later, and continue your normal schedule from that point on.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I really don't want to start juggling days. I need rigidity right now. I am afraid that if I start "wiggling" the plan, I will wiggle it out of existance. Especially as I am just starting it - maybe after a few successful months I can juggle days.

And I need Wednesday to be an up day for another reason. So Thursday is definitely down. Maybe I can just put together a small plate of pizza toppings as a salad..? It is build-your-own pizza that she's grilling. I could do that and just eat part of it.

Last edited by LightlyStarched; 01-03-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I really don't want to start juggling days. I need rigidity right now. I am afraid that if I start "wiggling" the plan, I will wiggle it out of existance. Especially as I am just starting it - maybe after a few successful months I can juggle days.

And I need Wednesday to be an up day for another reason. So Thursday is definitely down. Maybe I can just put together a small plate of pizza toppings as a salad..? It is build-your-pizza that she's grilling. I could do that and just eat part of it.
Then I would try to hold off on eating at all on Thurs. as long as possible (at least til noon if not later) by drinking hot liquids such as coffee, tea, broth... Then having low calorie protein when I needed to eat - such as egg white scrambled with veggies, or shrimp sauteed with veggies, etc. I would try to save as many calories as I could for the dinner you're attending so I could have a portion of what your host is making (or build your own pizza salad like you described) along with small amounts of the wine. I would also allow myself up to 700-800 calories on that particular DD too, if I needed it.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I am just going to have to have pizza and wine, huh? Like you'd need to twist my arm or something.

So, I can either save up cals and just eat dinner.....or have my regular dd bfast and lunch and a moderate dinner and call it a medium day. I guess the medium day option is best. So if Wed is up, and Thurs is medium, I make friday medium too? And Saturday is up again? or down?

And what do I bring for a hostess gift? She has better wine then I can afford, lol.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I am just going to have to have pizza and wine, huh? Like you'd need to twist my arm or something.

So, I can either save up cals and just eat dinner.....or have my regular dd bfast and lunch and a moderate dinner and call it a medium day. I guess the medium day option is best. So if Wed is up, and Thurs is medium, I make friday medium too? And Saturday is up again? or down?

And what do I bring for a hostess gift? She has better wine then I can afford, lol.
If you're making Wed. an UD, Thurs. a MD, then you just go right into the next day in your normal rotation after a MD. So Friday would be a DD. Sat is UD, etc.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Sophie & Pat. I'm a little nervous about having a DD after a MD (Will I feel super hungry and deprived??) but I guess I'm game. I just don't want to get into the mindset that I can turn any day from DD to MD - I would take advantage and think of any excuse. I am weak!!

Any suggestions for what to bring? Flowers? A plant? A sweet?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:

Flowers?

ETA--I didn't see that you posted again.
Yes, I would bring flowers.
Plants are nice if you know someone is a "plant person"; however, if they are not, then the plant will either turn into a chore or die.

If you bring a sweet or dessert, the hostess may put it out for the guests and therefore it wouldn't be a gift just for her.

Last edited by piratejenny; 01-03-2012 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: ETA
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Quote:
I can certainly understand that, because I'm much the same way. But I also think learning to be flexible is something that we need to do. I find that seeing things as black and white led me to binges in the past, in any plan. For example I'm low carb and eat a cookie, oh noes... well now the diet is shot so I eat the whole bag and I hate myself. Or I'm doing a protein fast and am allowed 500 calories of protein for the day, but I am too hungry and eat something off plan and OH NO again the whole thing goes out the window.

If you can stick to 500 calories and go to pizza night that's great, but just don't set yourself up in a "I'm either 100% good or 100% bad" mentality and think you blew it if you couldn't stick with it, IMO!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
ITA with Julie.

The beauty of JUDDD is that unlike most diet plans, it's flexible. I had strings of UDs in December -- I didn't even bother with MDs -- and still lost five pounds.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And, this situation is exactly why I do "MUDDDing" rather than JUDDDing.
I don't drink much, but I usually can't afford more than $8-12 for a bottle of wine,
so I wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to enjoy some really good stuff!!!

This is what I would do:
(and of course, disregard if you think it's too much tweaking and would cause you to derail)

Wednesday: Up Day Breakfast, Up Day Lunch (use about 2/3 of your usual UD calories)
Down Day Dinner

Thursday: Down Day Breakfast, Down Day Lunch, Up Day dinner

Friday: full Up Day, or continue rotation if you'd rather some other day be an Up Day

Ooops...I see you said Wednesday needs to be an Up Day, too...is that for lunch or dinner?
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

This is what I would do:
(and of course, disregard if you think it's too much tweaking and would cause you to derail)

Wednesday: Up Day Breakfast, Up Day Lunch (use about 2/3 of your usual UD calories)
Down Day Dinner

Thursday: Down Day Breakfast, Down Day Lunch, Up Day dinner

Friday: full Up Day, or continue rotation if you'd rather some other day be an Up Day

Ooops...I see you said Wednesday needs to be an Up Day, too...is that for lunch or dinner?
This! This looks great! Have you read any of Dr. Eades' blog? He and his wife experimented with alternate day fasting. Only, they started and stopped the days in the afternoon. So at some point during any day they did have a meal. This seems kinds like that. I need Wed lunch to be "up".

Everyone has been so helpful. And Julie, you're absolutely right about "rigid" thinking and trying to be 100%. I am way guilty of that and its been my downfall far too often.

Last edited by LightlyStarched; 01-03-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Old 01-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
This! This looks great! Have you read any of Dr. Eades' blog? He and his wife experimented with alternate day fasting. Only, they started and stopped the days in the afternoon. So at some point during any day they did have a meal. This seems kinds like that. I need Wed lunch to be "up".

Everyone has been so helpful. And Julia, you're absolutely right about "rigid" thinking and trying to be 100%. I am way guilty of that and its been my downfall far too often.
I read on Dr. Eades' blog from time to time, and in fact, have an open tab where I've been reading on it all day

Yes, trying MUDDDg to get you through this special event! There is always that option plus any other kind of IF (intermittent fasting) you want to do to make your woe work around your life. Then you can go back to regular JUDDD if you want.

I tend to shake things up constantly. I just had a full regular 36+ hour DD yesterday, and today I'm back to MUDDDg, yet I usually do an IF *everyday* - that is, not eating til at least 14-15 hours have gone by from the time I ate the night before. Maybe that's why I started dropping more weight around Christmas without trying (I'd been in maintenance for over a month) - my body can't keep up with the endless confusing cycle of FD feasting and coasting and then WHAM! Total famine, then back again!

Have fun at the dinner Thursday! Sounds wonderful!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-03-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I need Wed lunch to be "up".
Well, that would work out perfectly for you, then!

Yes, I have read Dr. Eades' blog.
I came up with MUDDDing "accidentally" after making a really yummy dinner (on a DD) for my vegetarian son, then went in search of whether anyone else did more of a 24-hour schedule rather than "regular" JUDDDing. I didn't come across it at that time, but I think I read that entry about a year ago, and just re-read it a few days ago when I was reading about IF.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Quote:
Have you read any of Dr. Eades' blog? He and his wife experimented with alternate day fasting. Only, they started and stopped the days in the afternoon.
Yup, that's actually what got me into intermittent fasting last year. Well not just their article but a whole bunch of sites like Leangains, Fast 5, the Warrior diet... I read a whole bunch of articles on it.

Honestly I was not afraid of the down days because I'm so used to intermittent fasting by now that my body is used to me not feeding it until after lunch. So I guess since I don't eat until after noon, my fasting is more like 36 hours, with a 8-10 hour or so "up day" window. Once you get that ghrelin under control you just don't get hungry in the mornings anymore, so that makes it easy! Now evenings are another matter, I always get the munchies then. I'll just have to keep that in my budget and leave room for a 100 calorie "tv snack".

Last edited by Hazelsmrf; 01-03-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I think PJ's MUDDD is the perfect fit for what you need right now! I have used it, too, by mistake and it has worked out well for me! I just didn't know I was doing it almost every Saturday night until she pointed it out to me!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I did not MUDDD yesterday. I UPPED, BIG UPPED! We were at a Safari type zoo all day and no outside food allowed. So I had a bacon cheeseburger, and a waffle cone with mint chip ice cream, and dinner was whatever we had so baguette with olive oil, salami & cheese. And some other junk, lol. So I am planning to just keep to minimal/nothing today. Dh said he'd help me. We can make a pizza "to share" and he'll eat it all. What a nice guy! I'm hoping maybe some of the girlfriend's kids will be there and it will be a larger crowd so no one will see I'm not eating. And I'll ask if I can bring home my leftovers.

We'll see.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Good luck today!

It's probably too late, but since you said she's big on wine, I thought a pretty bottle stopper would make a nice hostess gift!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote