Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn1225
Stats: 255/175/145
WOE: Was LC'ing, now JUDDD Newbie
Low Carbers, how did you make the switch?

This question is more for those who went completely off LC.

I get myself worked up and excited to make the switch to JUDDD but the day before I start I get all nervous and back down. I'm so worried that the numbers on the scale are going to shoot up if I switch diets. I know I can't handle LC and JUDDD at the same time though. So I was hoping to see if anyone whose completely switched from LC to JUDDD would let me know how they made the switch - if it was immediate or gradual, and what effects were noticed. Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.
Jenn1225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1225 View Post
This question is more for those who went completely off LC.

I get myself worked up and excited to make the switch to JUDDD but the day before I start I get all nervous and back down. I'm so worried that the numbers on the scale are going to shoot up if I switch diets. I know I can't handle LC and JUDDD at the same time though. So I was hoping to see if anyone whose completely switched from LC to JUDDD would let me know how they made the switch - if it was immediate or gradual, and what effects were noticed. Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

OK.. imagine yourself being embraced by a whole bunch of comforting and supportive arms as I tell you this: The numbers on the scale ARE going to shoot up if you add many carbs back into your diet.

But, as we all sing cheerfully,... it's only water weight. LOL

Here's the thing about it: That early large weight loss we experience when we start eating low carb is only *on loan* with no repayment as long as we continue to remain without many carbs in our diet. Since carb fuel is stored within our liver and muscles along with water, (water weight), then as long as we live a life depleted of carb fuel, we'll probably weigh a few pounds less than we otherwise would. BUT, we will probably not look any different as far as *fat or skinny* goes, and it's unlikely we would wear a different clothing size, just because of a bit lower weight from water loss.

It's not FAT. You have to just come to terms with the fact that our natural system of storage for fuel is FAT for long term, and carbs for immediate short term, so most humans, always, carried their fuel supply with them. Carrying water weight is pretty normal, and pretty much as Mother Nature designed us to work. Being depleted of water weight is probably the abnormal human state, meaning that the beast isn't able to find any tubers to dig, buds or berries or blossoms or nuts or fruits or plant flesh of any kind to eat.. because those would be most of our natural carb sources in the wild state.

Most of us just bite the bullet and endure the increase on the scale, and then start losing weight from that point, and believe me when I tell you, it is so very worth it, and you will lose the FAT on JUDDD, and that is what is going to make you look fabulous in your clothing from every angle!

We have become so conscious of a NUMBER on a scale that the regain of mere water sends us into despair, and then we come to terms with it, and finally we say... ppffffttttt! It's only water weight! Pass me another piece of bread!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
WOE: JUDDD
Jenn, I can totally relate to your trepidations. I had my reservations as well. Note that I went completely off LC right away 100% .... I'm just a kinda "go for it" type and didn't want to draw things out. I know others do it gradually but, I didn't. One reason was also because it was my birthday weekend and Halloween and I just thought, one appeal of JUDDD was that there are no forbidden foods and I really wanted a WOE that allowed me to just eat the way I wanted to eat without all the fuss with forbidden foods and having to justify why I couldn't eat foods that I really missed like oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, and of course potatoes, and real baked foods and deserts. Some people go low carb, some moderate carb (which is what I mostly am on UDs) and just don't eat foods that don't work for their systems.

So, if you just jump in feet first you WILL have water weight gain ... but it is not fat ... it is just the normal water that your body needs to refill your glycogen stores. It comes right back off. Here is a quote of mine from my first week progress report:

NOTE: I have been Officially JUDDDing since 11/01/11 and I'm 1.5lbs from goal!

I do want to let everyone know how it was getting there this first week. I came here during my 5th week of Atkins induction. I did Atkins in 2001 and had great success. I kept my weight between 150 - 152 until last year when I had some medical problems. During my 5th week of induction this time around I realized that I had been stuck in the 165lb range for 3 1/2 almost 4 weeks. UGH! So during that week I investigated on the internet and came across JUDDD. I am officially done with my first week and for those coming from low carb I do wanted to let you know that for me, this first week has been a roller coaster ride on the scale. Here are how my numbers went since starting JUDDD: (also please note that I am dealing with a very messed up metabolism after medical treatments)

Started: 165.5
After first UD: 164.4
After first DD: 166.6
UD: 168.8
DD: 168.8
UD: 166.8
DD: 165.7
UD: 165.4
DD: 163.9

I think that some of it is just adjusting to having higher carb intake and I'm ok with the ups so long as the downs come. I'd much rather deal with that than to have to deal with forbidden foods and hating it. So while at first glance it looks like I only lost a little weight ... during the week I lost more but, most of all, I am at a new low, no longer stuck in the 165s and loving the way I'm eating. Woo Hoo!

Last edited by Lori-s; 01-02-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
I did some bouncing around and didn't even keep on a good rotation (I'm a bad role model). But I lost quite a bit when I started in October. I dove right in to the carbs. But as Pat said, if you do go up at first, it's only water. It will be so worth it!

Here were my first 8 days on JUDDD:

26 445 118.6 Down
27 1174 115.8 Mid
28 1515 115.6 Up
29 315 116.4 Down
30 970 115.4 Mid
31 2000 115.8 Up
1 400 115.8 Down
2 1832 113.6 Up
Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi Jenn,

I started by adding carbs like bread (for a sandwich) and some potato chips, and mostly kept to LC otherwise. My bday was right around the time I started JUDDD, though I didn't overdo the carbs then like I could have. But it wasn't long after when I started just eating whatever I wanted, not the least bit concerned about the carbs.

I was keeping track of things on ****** though, and even on my highest carb days, I noticed they were still between 75 - 200 carbs per day, depending on the day. I stopped tracking things on ****** when I went to maintenance in November, but I also noticed about 4 - 6 weeks into JUDDD that I started to naturally want more of the high fat/protein foods I had on LC.

In other words, I seemed to get over going hog-wild on the stuff I'd denied myself on LC all the time, and started to want more natural, whole foods and less processed stuff again.

I think I'm finding a balance now. I still eat carbs without worry, but I do try to include more of the foods that help me look and feel good, like the natural fats and protein foods, and I have what I think are reasonable portions of the carby stuff.

Hope our responses help you
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I immediately gained six pound of water weight, then easily lost those + six more over the following three weeks.

A large part of the "weight" you lose when you start Atkins is just an illusion -- it's just water, not fat.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I am one of the few that added carbs in like whole grains, breads, etc. right from the start, and didn't gain a pound and steadily lost. I still eat at a moderate LC level on my DDs but my UDs are sometimes a carb feast!

Besides the usual 1 to 2 pound water gain after each UD, which has always happens and when I was in "losing mode" took a few of it's oz/pound friends with it, I have not seen any gain from adding carbs back in.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
i added carbs in right away, although i was only two weeks back into my LC diet when I did this, I had some bounce up, but it went back down fairly quickly. I have lost over 20 lbs on JUDDD in 76 days. although i started with quite a bit to lose, but it does work.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
I added my carbs back slowly, starting with lower carb veggies and fruits. My starting dd were about 30-40 carbs a day, UD carbs about 70-80. I lost steadily from the start. Now I am at goal and maintaining, I do Dd's and fd's (free days) my dd's tend to be about 50 carbs, my fd's I don't track, but will probably be at least 300 carbs. I keep a steady weight, never fluctuating more than a pound or 2.
Many juddders DO bounce up a bit with water weight, but we ALL keep going down, as long as we keep doing juddd!
Give it a go, and keep a good food track and weightloss graph, and keep posting here, we are all happy to help you with any questions!
Hugs
Jo
X

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
I added carbs back in right away. I was experiencing dramatic hair loss and complete lack of mental clarity, both of which are abnormal for me. I was becoming depressed as well.

In six month of low carb, I went from 188 to 156, size 14 to a snug size 12.
I started JUDDD on 11/18, and have gone from 156 to 142, size 12 to size 6.

I have lost an incredible amount of INCHES in this short time, and my body fat has dropped 6%, and continues to drop. I stay busy in everyday life, but I do not formally exercise on a regular basis.

I will never, ever go back to low carb. I no longer believe that it is normal in any way to eliminate an entire macronutrient from my diet. I wish I had started with JUDDD, and there are probably many others here who will tell you the same thing.

It will be up to you to "bite the bullet", so to speak. I still eat healthy, but I do enjoy my homemade goodies, which includes french bread, cookies, and the like. I do not make these a mainstay of my diet, but I certainly enjoy them. I like my red wine and dark chocolate, too

Good luck with your decision. I know it can be hard, but for me, it is the best thing I have ever done for my physical and mental health.

When everything feels like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top....

Goal Weight achieved 02/25/2012 on JUDDD- and still losing!
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Once you get over the "honeymoon" period where "yeah I can eat carbs!", you will probably settle in to a "I can eat carbs, but I don't really want them today" attitude lol.
I don't find carbs are an issue- and I thought they would be! But I do find that carb combinations are, for me. Like I can't have fried chicken AND dairy the same day or I retain water that's hard to get rid of. Something about that combination just messes me up.
You'll have to figure out if you have specific carbs, or combos, that you need to avoid

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I am trying to stay on the lower end of carb intake as I find I feel better that way. I do eat more carbs now than I ever ate on a strict LC diet - up to 100 on some days.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thank you guys so much. I really needed to get input like this to kind of ease my fears. I'm still pretty nervous about it but what the hell, if I don't like it I can always go back to LC. So I'm starting today UD here I come =D lol now... any suggestions on what my first DD should be?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
Administrator

Lean protein and bulky, low cal veggies will help keep you full. Get some good, low calorie broths as well, to fill in if you're hungry between meals
Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NP8559
Stats: S141/C131.6/G115/ 5'0
Start Date: 12/22/2011
Can someone explain what JUDDD is to me and what is stands for? I am currently on atkins but I keep hearing about JUDDD.
NP8559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

JUDDD is a diet where you eat how you want one day than at 20-25% your suggested calorie intake the next. For me that means I have to stay at about 500 calories on a down day. I'm sure other people will explain it more thoroughly. (I'm new, just starting today lol)

I found a great recipe on the DD redcipe thread for a 11 cup soup I'm going to try . Its 780 calories total but I doubt I can eat all 11 cups lol. I think that coupled with snacking on 100 cals of popcorn throughout the day will work.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP8559 View Post
Can someone explain what JUDDD is to me and what is stands for? I am currently on atkins but I keep hearing about JUDDD.
WHAT IS JUDDD? COME INSIDE AND SEE!!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Since i'm still somewhat new, I'm trying to find a balance - I was absolutely unbelieveably starving on LC. That isn't a way for me to live. So I try JUDDD. My DD's are a mess - i can't go a day with starving myself (did too many years of that as a fat ballerina!) and my UD's are overboard. I think if I allow myself good carbs, like wraps & pasta, but not bad carbs like sugar, I should be okay. I may even end up upping my DD's to 750. But that whole fasting thing, I can't do it. I won't do it. I just need to find a *healthy* balance. Sadly, that goes against a lot of JUDDD ideas where you can "eat what you want" on UDs. I can't. I am not that person. My sugar addiction comes full swing (as i've proven to myself!) when I do. But I also can't keep complete low-carb either. Now, to find that harmonious "balance".....

Add me as a friend! Facebook

BodyCombat Certified (5/13/13)

Last edited by LadyKT; 01-03-2012 at 12:32 PM..
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NP8559
Stats: S141/C131.6/G115/ 5'0
Start Date: 12/22/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
Since i'm still somewhat new, I'm trying to find a balance - I was absolutely unbelieveably starving on LC. That isn't a way for me to live. So I try JUDDD. My DD's are a mess - i can't go a day with starving myself (did too many years of that as a fat ballerina!) and my UD's are overboard. I think if I allow myself good carbs, like wraps & pasta, but not bad carbs like sugar, I should be okay. I may even end up upping my DD's to 750. But that whole fasting thing, I can't do it. I won't do it. I just need to find a *healthy* balance. Sadly, that goes against a lot of JUDDD ideas where you can "eat what you want" on UDs. I can't. I am not that person. My sugar addiction comes full swing (as i've proven to myself!) when I do. But I also can't keep complete low-carb either. Now, to find that harmonious "balance".....
I agree, I don't think I can successfully do JUDDD. I have been farily happy on Atkins, the only thing that makes me unhappy is when I self sabotage myself. Virtually every recipe or dish I like I can make low to NO carb! I have stuff to satisfy my sweet tooth, pasta dish, and even a great dinner roll recipe. Thanks for the info though....
NP8559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
In six month of low carb, I went from 188 to 156, size 14 to a snug size 12.
I started JUDDD on 11/18, and have gone from 156 to 142, size 12 to size 6.
Wow, that is amazing!
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #21

Quote:
I think you can be very happy and successful with JUDDD within parameters you need to set for yourself. JUDDD is a whole lot more adaptable than it appears from the outside looking in.

I expect most folks are at LCF, in all of the diet forums, because they are looking for weight loss. A few are here looking for better health, regardless of any weight issues at all. And the more we read the posts of others, the more we notice that not anyone seems to follow any written diet plan the same way. And yet, if they follow a plan well enough, they can usually find success on it.

So, first of all.. While the fasting concept is strong in JUDDD, the plan is also set up to show that everyone gets to decide at what percentage of Up Day calories they are going to hold their Down Days to. And while Dr. Johnson recommends that everyone start out at 500-calorie DDs, my experience here and that of many others shows that success can still be had by increasing DD calories above that number.

In fact, Dr. Johnson's website calculator gives us a large range of percentages of UD calories to choose for our DDs, even up to 35% still being considering weight loss mode. So for a person whose UD number is about 2000, that would give them 700 calorie DDs, and most would find that pretty easy to do every other day.

And if that still isn't low enough for you, the diet site then goes on to include 40% and 45% of Up Day calories as what they call *Weight Loss/Maintenance Mode*.. although I'd expect weight loss to be pretty slow if you're combining that percentage of calorie consumption along with full calorie non-dieting Up Days.

But the number of calories you decide on for your DDs is up to you. Since 500 is recommended, that's the number that most JUDDDers try to go for during their weight loss weeks, but.. in truth.. I think that number was probably sort of *pulled out of a hat* so to speak. LOL

So if you are seeking only some weight loss from JUDDD, you likely won't care much whether you benefit from any of the health benefits of alternate day fasting, and may well decide to eat at higher calorie levels on your Down Days.

You said that your inability to be able to respond well if you eat sugars or certain choices which don't work for you ".....goes against a lot of JUDDD ideas where you can eat what you want on UDs.....", but the truth is, on JUDDD you can absolutely eat what you want on UDs. But it's YOU who decides what that diet is going to be. You're free to eat anything at all in the world. Presumably we will all make good and intelligent choices. So while I'm free on the JUDDD plan to eat shellfish, if I, personally, am allergic to shrimp, JUDDD still offers the freedom, but I will decline. And that freedom in food choices is there for all of us, but we all decline those foods we don't like or don't do well on or don't think benefit us. JUDDD actually offers us the freedom to plan menus that enrich our relationships with food while helping us moderate our attitudes toward eating.

The sad truth is that if we have gained too much body fat and want to lose it, we are likely going to have to restrict somewhere, or restrict something, or restrict in some manner that isn't completely pleasant. Certainly for myself, JUDDD offered the least *restricting* with only every other day having to be restricted rather than every single ongoing day. I do know that some don't do well if they have to restrict the amount of food they get to eat, even every other day, and that would make JUDDD kinda' hard to do. LOL But I found that having to sharply restrict my diet to cut out most carbohydrate was the woe I was unable to abide.

I hope you find a way to adapt JUDDD to the way you wish to live your days and enjoy your meals. I find it such a relaxing and freeing way to eat that I often forget that there was once a time in my life when I didn't feel free to participate in all of the celebrations and holidays and parties and festivals because I was always having to say no to the food offerings. These days, I just make sure I arrange my UDs so that they coincide with these rich and joyful occasions and enjoy life.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alibaba
Stats: 240(pregnant)/176/165
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 5/12/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Wow, that is amazing!
Yeah - those are my DREAM results!!!
alibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

I hope you find a way to adapt JUDDD to the way you wish to live your days and enjoy your meals. I find it such a relaxing and freeing way to eat that I often forget that there was once a time in my life when I didn't feel free to participate in all of the celebrations and holidays and parties and festivals because I was always having to say no to the food offerings. These days, I just make sure I arrange my UDs so that they coincide with these rich and joyful occasions and enjoy life.
Thanks Pat! I think what i'm doing is over analyzing it way too much (it's a flaw of mine, can't help it!) and really, on DDs all I have to do, is eat less. It's really simple. I just have to keep it simple, that's all
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Thanks Pat! I think what i'm doing is over analyzing it way too much (it's a flaw of mine, can't help it!) and really, on DDs all I have to do, is eat less. It's really simple. I just have to keep it simple, that's all
LOLOLOLOL Yup, basically.. that's all there is to it!

Somehow, that's such a profound little statement.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Wow, that is amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba View Post
Yeah - those are my DREAM results!!!
Thanks! I really can't believe how quickly all of this has happened for me. I realize now that my body needs carbs to function properly, and to be happy. I have also learned that this woe is not only about weight on the scale, but more so about inches lost. Once I bumped my UD numbers up just a bit, the inches really started melting off. I think others on this board have experienced the same result.
I am thrilled!
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote