Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mississippimom21
WOE: lc
Start Date: 12/27
Considering JUDDD, can someone answer a few questions please?

I have just started doing lc, only about 5 days ago, it is going well, but, I did not do induction, I'm not a big meat eater, I mostily ate junk food so now I am eating health junk, if there is such a thing pepperoni, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, water, ham, SF cocoa.........well, you get the idea. I get no support from my family, but I am determined to lose 35 pds and get off my cholestrol and sugar meds. I have already cut out sugars, breads, and such. I did have 1/2 of a potatoe one day because I was feeling so bad, beleive it or not, it helped.

I want to make sure I understand this woe. One the down days (for the first 2/3 weeks) I would keep my calories under 500. On the other days I can eat what I want as long as it is in my calorie range for my weight/height?

and if I am going to combine lc and JUDDD, how does that work?

thanks for any tips you can give me!

tonya
mississippimom21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

BUMPING, maybe SoHappy will see it? or some other JUDDD/LC member
Old 01-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I suggest you run an internet search on 'johnson up day down day' and read about JUDDD. Use the calculator there. Read a lot of the threads in this forum. Understanding drives success.

But, in a nutshell,

On DD you eat as close to a fasting level as your body will tolerate. This tells your body "Oh no, we need to move to starvation mode!" Don't push it, don't get shaky or sick. Average seems to be about 500 calories.

Special note: for best results, DD needs to be at least 24 hours long. 36 is optimal.

The next day is an UD. You eat on average 3 to 4 times as many calories as you did the day before. This tells your body "Never mind, it's all right. We got plenty of food."

The next day, another DD induces starvation mode again.

After an average of two weeks the continuous change from famine to feast activates starvation mechanisms in your body that carry over from DD to UD. Which means the your body gets very, very good at burning calories, appetite is suppressed so DDs get easier (and eating enough on UDs can become a problem), and most bodies burn fat instead of muscle. Effectively, you are in ketosis but every other day you get to gobble.

The trick is, you have to continue alternating DD/UD to keep that starvation mechanism activated. Too many UDs days in a row will shut it down. Too many DDs in a row will throw you into full starvation mode like any very low-cal diet. Every other day alternation is best.

Some important side notes:

Intermittent fasting (IF) can be dangerous for some diabetics and people with other medical conditions that make a steady stream of energy necessary. If you are diabetic, watch your blood glucose very, very carefully.

Intermittent fasting can be very, very healthy for bodies that are not under medical stress. Research shows it is associated with slower aging and stronger internal organs (especially the digestive tract). It does wonderful things for metabolic syndrome. Many JUDDDers come to love and feel really energized their DDs.

JUDDD has a built-in maintenance plan. Once they reach goal some people are able to maintain by increasing DD calories and keeping UD calories as they were. Many people increase their UD calories, keep DD calories low, continue to get the positive physical results from IF.

Lots of people combine JUDDD with lc successfully.

In JUDDD meal planning is hugely important. Otherwise it is easy to slip.

In JUDDD + lc, meal planning is critical. Otherwise it is easy to eat too little on UDs.

Many JUDDDers begin by eating lc. But, as their metabolic syndrome adjusts they find they can eat some or all carbs (as long as they keep DD/UD alternating). Of course, some of us have to stay lc. It depends on what is happening inside the body.

Because of this up/down pattern, weight tends to bounce up and down too. It is really best to choose one day a week to weigh. Daily weighing can be really interesting, but it has very little to do with that weekly weight loss.

How did I do guys? Did any of that make sense?
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 01-01-2012 at 03:36 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thank You Nancy! You get a A+. You answered all of my questions and then some!
I will be sure and keep check on my sugar levels. I take metformin (the lowest dose) twice a day and eat what I want and my A1C is always good, so I'm sure if I start eating right I can get off these meds!

thanks again!
tonya
Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Nancy - great explanation - I'll also go and try to find some of the threads re LC & JUDDD.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
U did good nancy!! U hit on all the most important pts
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Nancy,
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
Excellent, Nancy
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
NANCY! You did wonderful in explaining our JUDDD! This should be added to the sticky I posted that has Pat explaining JUDDD, also! Maybe we can do this, Dottie? Is it possible to add this to that closed sticky about what JUDDD is all about? Or should we just leave it here for others coming on board to see so it won't get lost in that sticky? TIA Dottie!

WTG, Nancy JUDDD BUDDD!!

Last edited by Beeb; 01-01-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Yeah I figured out how to do it lol.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hi, Tonya. I think you are really going to enjoy using JUDDD as it is a very simple plan which enables you to diet for weight loss 50% of your days, eat at *non-dieting* calorie levels the other 50% of your days, (and isn't it lovely to just not be on a diet half the time!!!), benefit your physical and mental health from the fasting DDs, and happily fulfill and elevate your spirit by enjoying anything your little heart desires on your feasting UDs.

I do disagree with Nancy where she stated that JUDDD triggers starvation mode on DDs though... and perhaps we all have our own beliefs about this, and we just differ in our beliefs and thoughts here... but one of the strong benefits of dieting for weight loss on the JUDDD plan is that it does NOT trigger *starvation mode*, which is just a term used to encompass the process of metabolic slowdown which our body resorts to for protection against starvation in times of few calories. The remarkable thing about alternating between days of fasting and feasting is that the metabolism is NOT caused to slow down. *Starvation Mode*, as some term this process, is NOT triggered. Yay!

When caloric intake is kept fairly even-keel, as the hours and days of your week pass, your metabolism is set to about that range. So your days may vary a few hundred higher or a few hundred lower, but when there are no extended periods of continuing fasting contrasted with the periods of high-calorie feasting, your metabolism will be set to about that mid-range level. So as folks lower calories and eat at those lowered calories most every day, that lowered metabolism is what they experience as their reward. The powerful contrast between extremely low calorie fasting for upwards to 36 hours on JUDDD, contrasted with the (often) high calorie Up Days where eating is usually within a daytime window of about 12 hours or so, seems to help pound that ceiling of calorie tolerance up a bit. Many of us are happy to see our metabolisms functioning at a better clip than they have in years!

There are many different *alternating* calorie plans which overall will lower your weekly calorie intake. The Zig Zag plan is one. JUDDD is one. The alternate *MUDDD* plan here at LCF is a third, and there are many more alternating *bouncing* calorie plans out there. Do be aware though... that they may or may not include the real Fasting Component in how they are done. Some promote the benefit of fasting. Some merely help you eat at lowered calorie levels without ever getting too hungry, but are not actually into fasting. And lots of folks aren't! LOL The fasting part is the part that most folks don't like and want to avoid.

If you truly follow JUDDD I believe you will become a slim and trim lady of correct body weight and increased physical and mental health! It takes a little getting used to, but it's not long before you are hooked, and then the benefits will really start in.

Welcome to the JUDDD Forum! Good luck, and happy JUDDDing!

And as to Low Carb or not... we all get to eat whatever foods we do best on and enjoy the most. JUDDD doesn't care about what foods you eat... only that you eat at your correct calorie numbers overall and hold to your alternating Up and Down Days.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
I wanted to also add about weighing...I don't know that it's "best" to weigh only once a week. I think weighing daily can be extremely informative so that one can see what patterns may emerge based on your daily eating patterns and numbers. Daily weighing made me see that I needed to adjust my personal UD numbers so that I was eating more. I noticed that I was more likely to lose weight following an UD if my calories were a little higher.

That said, if you cannot deal with seeing the crazy up-down action on the scale that daily weighing on JUDDD tends to produce, then weekly weighing may be your best choice.

Good luck!!!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Pat! It is great to see you again! Over the holiday I found myself hoping you were having a great time.

What you say is true, I was imprecise. I wrote what happens to our bodies on DDs the right way, read it over, and decided there was just too much information (a tendency I have to fight). So, I selected a phrase that, I hoped, would communicate a basic concept. Then I tried to balance it by explaining most of us feel really, really good on DDs. I should have made up a phrase with no pre-existing meaning. My only excuse is I live in the ET zone - it really was 04:00 in the morning so all brain-cells may not have been fully activated.

Tonya, are you getting a feeling for how great and supportive our JUDDD family is here? Welcome home, this is a truly amazing group.

And, if you want to understand what happens to your body on DDs (and much more about why alternating days causes us to lose weight, I encourage you to do an internet search on Intermittent Fasting, or read The Alternate-Day Diet by Dr. James Johnson.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 01-01-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Hey Pat! It is great to see you again! Over the holiday I found myself hoping you were having a great time.

What you say is true, I was imprecise. I wrote what happens to our bodies on DDs the right way, read it over, and decided there was just too much information (a tendency I have to fight). So, I selected a phrase that, I hoped, would communicate a basic concept. Then I tried to balance it by explaining most of us feel really, really good on DDs. I should have made up a phrase with no pre-existing meaning. My only excuse is I live in the ET zone - it really was 04:00 in the morning so all brain-cells may not have been fully activated.

Tonya, are you getting a feeling for how great and supportive our JUDDD family is here? Welcome home, this is a truly amazing group.

And, if you want to understand what happens to your body on DDs (and much more about why alternating days causes us to lose weight, I encourage you to do an internet search on Intermittent Fasting, or read The Alternate-Day Diet by Dr. James Johnson.
Ha! We are both probably thinking alike after all. LOLOL

And we're certainly both in agreement about how supportive this JUDDD family is. Just with other diet plans, there are variances here too in how easily it *works* for some, etc. Some of us zero in right at those calculator numbers, and it's perfect, some of us have to go with Up Day calorie numbers that are quite a bit lower than that generic number that the calculators spit out, and some of us are blessed to be able to eat quite a bit over our given number and still have the metabolism to handle it.

And certainly in agreement about reading the little plan Dr. Johnson laid out, and then on to a whole lot of other more recent studies too. This is such an interesting research field with new discoveries coming all the time. As in, sadly, there is a lot more to it than just activating the SIRT-1 gene that Johnson spoke of as the Skinny Gene. LOL Wish it were as simple as that, but it turned out not to be. Sigh.....

And yet, JUDDD works for weight loss and improved health quite effectively when the calorie numbers are correct, and I delight in knowing that at this stage of my life I can eat really, really well of the foods my heart and spirit enjoys on my Up Days, and enjoy the sleek lean-belly restful DDs for what they bring to my life as well. Great plan.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Hi, Tonya. I think you are really going to enjoy using JUDDD as it is a very simple plan which enables you to diet for weight loss 50% of your days, eat at *non-dieting* calorie levels the other 50% of your days, (and isn't it lovely to just not be on a diet half the time!!!), benefit your physical and mental health from the fasting DDs, and happily fulfill and elevate your spirit by enjoying anything your little heart desires on your feasting UDs.

I do disagree with Nancy where she stated that JUDDD triggers starvation mode on DDs though... and perhaps we all have our own beliefs about this, and we just differ in our beliefs and thoughts here... but one of the strong benefits of dieting for weight loss on the JUDDD plan is that it does NOT trigger *starvation mode*, which is just a term used to encompass the process of metabolic slowdown which our body resorts to for protection against starvation in times of few calories. The remarkable thing about alternating between days of fasting and feasting is that the metabolism is NOT caused to slow down. *Starvation Mode*, as some term this process, is NOT triggered. Yay!

When caloric intake is kept fairly even-keel, as the hours and days of your week pass, your metabolism is set to about that range. So your days may vary a few hundred higher or a few hundred lower, but when there are no extended periods of continuing fasting contrasted with the periods of high-calorie feasting, your metabolism will be set to about that mid-range level. So as folks lower calories and eat at those lowered calories most every day, that lowered metabolism is what they experience as their reward. The powerful contrast between extremely low calorie fasting for upwards to 36 hours on JUDDD, contrasted with the (often) high calorie Up Days where eating is usually within a daytime window of about 12 hours or so, seems to help pound that ceiling of calorie tolerance up a bit. Many of us are happy to see our metabolisms functioning at a better clip than they have in years!

There are many different *alternating* calorie plans which overall will lower your weekly calorie intake. The Zig Zag plan is one. JUDDD is one. The alternate *MUDDD* plan here at LCF is a third, and there are many more alternating *bouncing* calorie plans out there. Do be aware though... that they may or may not include the real Fasting Component in how they are done. Some promote the benefit of fasting. Some merely help you eat at lowered calorie levels without ever getting too hungry, but are not actually into fasting. And lots of folks aren't! LOL The fasting part is the part that most folks don't like and want to avoid.

If you truly follow JUDDD I believe you will become a slim and trim lady of correct body weight and increased physical and mental health! It takes a little getting used to, but it's not long before you are hooked, and then the benefits will really start in.

Welcome to the JUDDD Forum! Good luck, and happy JUDDDing!

And as to Low Carb or not... we all get to eat whatever foods we do best on and enjoy the most. JUDDD doesn't care about what foods you eat... only that you eat at your correct calorie numbers overall and hold to your alternating Up and Down Days.
nice to see/hear from you JUDDD guru!

Tonya!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
nice to see/hear from you JUDDD guru!
ITA...Pat, your help and advice is priceless!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

A GREAT BIG THANKS to all of your ladies! I am so excited! I actually started yesterday with a down day and today is my UD;0) Can't wait to see what happens! will be posting more in the coming days!

tonya
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Andrea I agree with you that weighing daily is very helpful info. I do weigh daily but have picked either thurs or friday (depending on DD) to be my official weigh in day for the week. The one thing I have learned with judd is that I have huge weight changes after an up days.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought the thread about 'do you lose after DD or UD' was a lot of fun! We do seem to settle into patterns...but they are certainly not the same pattern