Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   12 Midnight Tomorrow....Throw Money In The Door BEFORE You Walk In! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/751653-12-midnight-tomorrow-throw-money-door-before-you-walk.html)

Beeb 12-30-2011 10:24 AM

12 Midnight Tomorrow....Throw Money In The Door BEFORE You Walk In!
 
I read this on the Playground here and I can't find the link now but it said that to bring good money luck into your house for the New Year you need to throw money into your house at 12 Midnight or afterward BEFORE you walk in the door! Some people leave the money outside and then walk out the door at midnight and throw the money in and walk back inside.

I plan I putting a small bag of money in DF car and when we get back from the club we will throw the money in the door first before we go in!

What the heck, it can't hurt, right?! :dunno::up::clap:

Dottie 12-30-2011 10:37 AM

So... if I throw in a picture of Catherine Zeta-Jones, will I look like her by the end of the year? :hyst:

Beeb 12-30-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15283188)
So... if I throw in a picture of Catherine Zeta-Jones, will I look like her by the end of the year? :hyst:

Why would you? You are beautiful just being Dottie!! :hugs:

Dottie 12-30-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15283333)
Why would you? You are beautiful just being Dottie!! :hugs:

aww :hugs:

julietcc 12-30-2011 12:07 PM

So can I just put a baggie of coins on my patio tomorrow evening, go out and party, then chuck it back into the house at 2 AM? I want to do this right :laugh:

mayleesa 12-30-2011 12:20 PM

all right i can do that....sick or not i'm throwing money in the door!!!

Dottie 12-30-2011 12:34 PM

oooh interesting site with traditions from around the world:
New Year's Traditions and Customs Around the World

Dottie 12-30-2011 12:37 PM

Along the same lines, do you have a superstitious meal for New Years Day?
Here in the south, we do: meat (sausage, pork, corned beef, etc - a rich, fatty meat) with cabbage (can be saurkraut, kimchi, whatever -cabbage based) and black eye peas.

itsmeshelly01 12-30-2011 12:49 PM

i am gonna do this!!! Thanks Beeb!

sazzie 12-30-2011 12:57 PM

Oooh, we will be doing this! I read that thread also, and gave it half thought, but why not.

I think I'll put some post-it notes also for good health and spiritual blessings.

sophiethecat 12-30-2011 02:00 PM

We have not one single NYE or NYD tradition that must be eaten or performed where I'm from :confused: I've heard though that you should eat saeurkraut on NYD. :up:

LadyKT 12-30-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15283547)
Along the same lines, do you have a superstitious meal for New Years Day?
Here in the south, we do: meat (sausage, pork, corned beef, etc - a rich, fatty meat) with cabbage (can be saurkraut, kimchi, whatever -cabbage based) and black eye peas.

I don't, but my dad eats pickled herring....:sick::sick::sick:

dasiey 12-30-2011 02:07 PM

Love it. So why not try it.

theredhead 12-30-2011 03:08 PM

I actually thought to include Black-Eyed peas on the New Year's Eve menu this year. I'd never heard of that southern tradition until I got married and my in-laws threw a party.

I've never heard of throwing money in the door, but it can't hurt. My DH lost his full-time job 2 1/2 years ago and now works 5 part-time jobs to get by. It's not fun, and I hope it gets better this year.

sophiethecat 12-30-2011 03:27 PM

Yes - Black-eyed peas! Those were the other things I heard about, back when I lived in Pittsburgh, PA - blackeyed peas and sauerkraut for good times on NYD!

deb81 12-30-2011 04:00 PM

well along the same lines......don't eat chicken on new years day.....
Your luck will fly out the window????? That was my mom's thing :)

julietcc 12-30-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb81 (Post 15283995)
well along the same lines......don't eat chicken on new years day.....
Your luck will fly out the window????? That was my mom's thing :)

Good to know!

vilanteira 12-30-2011 04:48 PM

I can't for the life of me remember, but a friend once told me that there was a tradition of wearing all new clothing on New Year's Day, but I can't remember what culture that belongs to?

I will definitely try throwing the money! I could sure use some luck there. :)

Beeb 12-30-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb81 (Post 15283995)
well along the same lines......don't eat chicken on new years day.....
Your luck will fly out the window????? That was my mom's thing :)

OH, I forgot about this one!! Grandma always said the same thing! We are Italian and we always ate black eyed peas and herring on NYE!! Can't stomach either one of them so that tradition died when Grandma did, but I still do the No Fowl on NYD and now I got the new money tradition!! :jumpjoy:

Beeb 12-30-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julietcc (Post 15283482)
So can I just put a baggie of coins on my patio tomorrow evening, go out and party, then chuck it back into the house at 2 AM? I want to do this right :laugh:

YES!! As long as the money is the first thing that enters the house on NYE/NYD before anything or anyone else does, that is the idea!!

kris4chloe 12-30-2011 08:10 PM

ok but what if everyone is already in the house. we plan on staying in for NYE, and hopefully some of the little kids will already be asleep. i can leave the money and go out and come back in, but will that have the same effect??

Beeb 12-30-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris4chloe (Post 15284557)
ok but what if everyone is already in the house. we plan on staying in for NYE, and hopefully some of the little kids will already be asleep. i can leave the money and go out and come back in, but will that have the same effect??

From what I read you can do just that; leave the money outside, go outside and get it, throw it in the house and then go in yourself, at midnight or afterward from midnight! :up:

KOO 12-30-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15283143)
I read this on the Playground here and I can't find the link now but it said that to bring good money luck into your house for the New Year you need to throw money into your house at 12 Midnight or afterward BEFORE you walk in the door! Some people leave the money outside and then walk out the door at midnight and throw the money in and walk back inside.

I plan I putting a small bag of money in DF car and when we get back from the club we will throw the money in the door first before we go in!

What the heck, it can't hurt, right?! :dunno::up::clap:

I did it year before last and had money luck all year. Last year, my dad found my money outside and brought it in:doh: before we all went out at midnight for fireworks. I haven't won a single cent on all the football pools this year.:sad: My daughter and I were talking earlier tonight and said we have to hide it til we are ready to come back in. I want my luck back!!!!!:D

KOO 12-30-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15283547)
Along the same lines, do you have a superstitious meal for New Years Day?
Here in the south, we do: meat (sausage, pork, corned beef, etc - a rich, fatty meat) with cabbage (can be saurkraut, kimchi, whatever -cabbage based) and black eye peas.

We do ham, cabbage and black eye peas. We also have sauerkraut since that is what my dad grew up eating instead of cabbage in PA. I have always insisted the kids take just a dab of each growing up. Now they love all the different foods!

KOO 12-30-2011 08:41 PM

My uncle one year had bags of twelve grapes each for everyone to eat at midnight. I don't remember what it was for but probably luck in the new year.

KeirasMom 12-31-2011 08:44 AM

Okay, I'm game to try it, but here's my situation. DH is working and will be out until 3 a.m. or so, DD is 7 and will most likely fall asleep before midnight. I will also most likely be asleep before midnight.

Does everyone need to be out of the house and then come in after the money, or can we be in bed and let DH toss the coins in when he gets home?

I could sure use some good financial luck this year!

julietcc 12-31-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15285299)
Okay, I'm game to try it, but here's my situation. DH is working and will be out until 3 a.m. or so, DD is 7 and will most likely fall asleep before midnight. I will also most likely be asleep before midnight.

Does everyone need to be out of the house and then come in after the money, or can we be in bed and let DH toss the coins in when he gets home?

I could sure use some good financial luck this year!

I want to know this, too. I'll be coming home at 2 AM but my 17 and 19 year old will be sleeping. As long as I still get the good financial luck :laugh:

Beeb 12-31-2011 12:35 PM

FINALLY found the link to this!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...money-out.html

LadyKT 12-31-2011 01:34 PM

I can't see that link! :cry: But i know i'm gonna laugh at myself throwing money into my apartment before I walk in later tonight. Make it rain! :hyst:

Dottie 12-31-2011 01:39 PM

Here's the gist of it from a link in the above link:
Quote:

And Once Again - the New Year Money Ritual
I posted this last year and can't believe a year has gone by already.

Anyway, here is what you do.

On December 31st, place an amount of money (any amount - it can be change) in a container outside of your place of dwelling (house, condo, apartment)

As soon as possible after the new year has begun, before you do anything, open your door and bring the money inside. If you are expecting visitors after the new year has begun, have them bring the container inside with them.

The important thing to remember is that this container with money must be the first thing to enter your home in the new year!

The belief behind this ritual is that if you do this correctly, then money will always be coming into your home in one way or another during the coming year.


We had a lot of fun posting about this last year. I would like to share with you some of the money that came in for me....

I did get laid off from my job in February, however, I got a good amount of severence pay (worth 3 months pay) mailed to me. (helped me out a great deal)

I got a roommate - while the first one was not so good, the current one is wonderful and now I have a consistent flow of money coming in every month to help me out.

Got a decent tax return this year when I thought it wouldn't be so good due to my having to take out $$ from my 401K earlier in the past year.


So those are my experiences.

Let me stress that this ritual is purely meant for fun. The above could have happened to me no matter what I did on January 1st. I just personally believe that trusting in a litle magic sometimes can't hurt right?

Anyway, have fun with it folks. And if anyone did this last year, feel free to share your experiences.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.