Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!
 
Agee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 1,724
Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
Need to temporarily rethink JUDDD due to hypoglycemic episode

Hey all - I've been working on this WOE for almost 3 weeks, and while the 1st week was great (down 2.7), 2nd week predictably so-so (stayed the same), Xmas eve eve and Xmas eve were both (planned)UDs followed by 2 unplanned UDs, followed by a successful DD (finally!).
Then yesterday was an UD, and this morning I woke up 2 lbs above what I started at almost 3 weeks ago. Big BOO!
But that's not what's making me rethink - I am certainly willing to give it a couple more weeks to try to regain momentum...but TODAY, A DD, I had a seriously hypoglycemic moment at about 11 a.m.
Headache, almost blacked out, everything.
I ate some lunch. Not what I was planning as part of a DD, but not too terrible. Still, this won't be a DD. Maybe a MD?
I have insulin resistance and before I was medicated (Victoza) this would happen to me, but it hasn't since starting my meds a year and a half ago. Because of insurance reasons, however, I've been without my meds all of December. I can get them on Jan. 1, but until then I can't afford them. Luckily I only have a few days left.
Grr.
Anyway, this isn't about sucky insurance, but about how to manage the IR + JUDDD.
I'm thinking that for the rest of the week I should do a pretty strict LC and just do MD/UD. Once I get my meds I can try to go back down to the <500 cal thing.
Thoughts?
Anyone in this same/simlilar boat?
A
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,466
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Are you eating more carbs while JUDDDing? And what had you eaten before your episode and how long before was it that you ate? I would think that you'd be best off staying away from carbs if you have recently added some back.

My situation is a little different because I inject insulin, but I woke up a little low this morning and I'm bummed because I normally wouldn't eat until much later in the day and it kind of messes up my plans regarding how I was going to use my calories. Learning how to work with low blood sugars is always a struggle for me whether I'm following a diet plan or not, though.
__________________
jayne, type I diabetic and mama to two sweet boys (9/03 and 2/09)

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
Agee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 1,724
Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
Yes, I'm definitely eating more carbs. I wasn't really LCing before, but I wasn't eating sugar or potatoes very often, and on JUDDD I seem to have given myself a little more leeway. So clearly I can't be doing that!
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,801
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Instead of doing a 500 calories for your DD's, how about 650-700 and adding more protein and a little fat?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
Agee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 1,724
Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
That's a good idea. I think for right now - while I'm waiting for my meds - I'm going to do LC and do UD/MD the best I can. What happened today was kind of scary.
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyrone Georgia U.S.A.
Posts: 1,215
Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Well having diabetes and or insulin resistance and using meds sure makes life a little more
interesting doesn't it. I am a type 2 diabetic and take Byetta which is in the same class of diabetic drugs as the drug Victozia. But Byetta is taken twice a day where Victozia is taken once a day. I have found that when doing JUDDD I don't even need to take my Byetta on a DD. After all it's suposed to be taken before the 2 largest meals of the day
and on a DD there are no large meals. But Agee if you only have insulin resistance did your Dr. try you on Medform first ? it's a whole lot cheaper and is usualy the drug of choice for insulin resistance if you arn't bothered by the diareia it sometimes causes.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agee View Post
Then yesterday was an UD, and this morning I woke up 2 lbs above what I started at almost 3 weeks ago. Big BOO!
But that's not what's making me rethink - I am certainly willing to give it a couple more weeks to try to regain momentum...but TODAY, A DD, I had a seriously hypoglycemic moment at about 11 a.m.
Headache, almost blacked out, everything.
I ate some lunch. Not what I was planning as part of a DD, but not too terrible. Still, this won't be a DD. Maybe a MD?
I have insulin resistance and before I was medicated (Victoza) this would happen to me, but it hasn't since starting my meds a year and a half ago. Because of insurance reasons, however, I've been without my meds all of December. I can get them on Jan. 1, but until then I can't afford them. Luckily I only have a few days left.
Grr.
Anyway, this isn't about sucky insurance, but about how to manage the IR + JUDDD.
I'm thinking that for the rest of the week I should do a pretty strict LC and just do MD/UD. Once I get my meds I can try to go back down to the <500 cal thing.
Thoughts?
Anyone in this same/similar boat?
A
I have Type 2, and am taking Metformin...
I had a couple of mild hypoglycemic episodes (shaky & tooooo hungry) after going too long without eating on DDs; was trying to save up my calories for dinner, so by 5 or 6pm had only had a few slices of ham and/or maybe a cheese stick or two (low-fat).

For about a week, I've been doing Atkins Fat Fast (1000-1200 calories, 75-90% calories from fat) for my DDs and have been feeling much better.

This has also helped me cut back on carbs, which I'd been eating too much of on JUDDD.

Unfortunately, with the higher calories, I'm not sure how weight loss will go
(since I went off-plan for a couple days with Christmas, I haven't seen a pattern yet).
__________________
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." --Ace Rimmer
"Really, how is eating a piece of cake bad? Being bad is murdering someone.
That's bad. Don't do that." --Sarah Michelle Gellar
****************************************
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
Agee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 1,724
Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
Quote:
But Agee if you only have insulin resistance did your Dr. try you on Medform first ? it's a whole lot cheaper and is usualy the drug of choice for insulin resistance if you arn't bothered by the diareia it sometimes causes.
I tried Metformin (ER), and it was 6 weeks of the most violent diarrhea I've had in my life.
So now the Victoza, which I really, really like. But it's expensive, and like I said - insurance complications/end of insurance year makes me have to wait until Monday to fill.
I should have been doing JUDDD LC, anyway. I don't think carbs are good for anyone, especially people like me! I'll have to figure out what works.
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
stardustshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,338
Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I have heard so many great things about Victoza. I really wish I could try it for the weight loss, but my doc won't let me (my diabetes is too well controlled). AH well....glad you like it...too bad it is so expensive. They produce it in Denmark (Novo Nordisk is headquartered here). I have a lot of friends who work there and have heard so many great things about the drug!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agee View Post
I should have been doing JUDDD LC, anyway. I don't think carbs are good for anyone, especially people like me! I'll have to figure out what works.
Yes, I think LC JUDDD is the way to go for us diabetics.
Some of the JUDDDers, though, say they get too hungry on DDs if they don't eat carbs on UDs.
I get hungry on DDs all the time, ha! no matter if I do carbs or low carbs or "MUDDD" or what...
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,466
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Yes, I think LC JUDDD is the way to go for us diabetics.
Some of the JUDDDers, though, say they get too hungry on DDs if they don't eat carbs on UDs.
I get hungry on DDs all the time, ha! no matter if I do carbs or low carbs or "MUDDD" or what...
I have a pretty solid appetite and I'm right there with you, Jenny! But carbs always make me want more carbs. I don't know if that's true "hunger", but it sure is hard to get out of it once I've succumbed.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.