Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Anyone working out while doing JUDDD? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/751418-anyone-working-out-while-doing-juddd.html)

mrsdewinter 12-29-2011 07:25 AM

Anyone working out while doing JUDDD?

Hey everyone,

curious to know if anyone`s been exercising while being on JUDDD and if it has affected your weight loss at all?

I`m doing 40mins of interval training (walking & sprinting on treadmill and on the elliptical) and although I don`t know if it`s making a huge difference yet I feel a lot more awake and energetic throughout the day!

xx

julietcc 12-29-2011 10:28 AM

It's my New Years resolution to start walking again and use my hand weights. I really need to tone up. I used to be a gym rat, too. I'd love to feel more energetic. Good for you!

KeirasMom 12-29-2011 12:36 PM

My resolution is going to be to move more. I'm looking into skating lessons with my daughter, and trying to find friends to go to the park with and walk my 3 (quite large) dogs. If it's not fun, I just won't do it. I wish I was a little closer to Yosemite. I used to be a pretty awesome snow skiier! I'd love to start that back up again, but I have vertigo, so might not be the best idea. :hyst:

sophiethecat 12-29-2011 12:47 PM

I have been a complete lazy bum since I stopped working out after September. Seems to be my pattern every year to sort of "hibernate" through the Fall and then resolve to get back into exercise after the New Year.

I hope to start doing my Callanetics again, some weights too sometime in the New Year, and then add in some walking when the weather gets springish again.

kel7298 12-29-2011 01:49 PM

I :workout: Monday-Friday for 45 minutes a day always in the mornings.

itsmeshelly01 12-29-2011 05:19 PM

I workout 5 to 7 days per week. Always in the morning. I have turbo jam and kickboxing and weight training dvds. I without anywhere from 45 min to an hour. I also have a gym membership and try to go on the weekends and get on the elliptical and treadmill. I have worked out constantly through my weightless and maintaining. I don't do it to telly help with weightless, I love how it makes me feel and I want to stay healthy and feeling young. I am actually the highest weight I have been in over 2 years right now. It's very frustrating and im at a loss as to what to do about it.

caramel 12-29-2011 05:27 PM

I am a member of a fitness club called Ladies First where they have workout classes like

Ripped
Muscle Camp
Zumba
Kick boxing
Chisel on the Ball etc...
I've done just about all of the cardio/anaerobic classes which last between 50-60 minutes. I didn't think I'd be doing these on my DD however, it actually curbs my hunger.

traceym1 12-30-2011 11:40 PM

Yes,
I do tracy anderson method with my rebounder for cardio and some classical stretch. It helps with hunger, i wait untill late afternoon or evening to eat, since i work nights and nights are my weakness anyways. Also, I went off JUDD for two weeks because of all the goodies around constantly and it feel during PMS time, oh well. But I did not gain any weight or have problems with bloating, which is a first for me. I back at JUDD now but it is nice to know I can maintain with exercise. Plus it helps with depression and motivation. for me anyways

Leo41 12-31-2011 04:26 AM

Like Shelly, I don't work out for weight loss but for feeling good and healthy---and staying toned.

Most of my weight loss, I just swam laps and did some water exercises because I have severe osteoarthritis. But two things happened about a year ago. I injured my shoulder, which prohibited swimming, and I began to experience some bone loss (not yet serious), and wanted to do something more weight bearing.

I discovered strength training. I use the machines at my health club because I fear that I might injure myself with free weights if I don't have the right form (we only have trainers at night and I work out early morning).

I have become almost addicted to the strength work, and my body seems so much leaner at exactly the same weight. For example, I went down an entire pants size, although my weight never changed--just my measurements.

Strength work is recommended for 'old ladies' like me, and I'm loving it.

itsmeshelly01 12-31-2011 05:46 AM

Leo, strength training is very addicting!!! Totally agree! At home, i have 8lb, 10lb and 15lb dumbbells and a set of jullian michaels kettlebell set, which has a 5, 10 and a 15lb kettlebell. I also use 1.5lb weighted gloves when i do my kickboxing. I love it and love having some muscle tone.

It is never too late or too early to start strength training!

mayleesa 12-31-2011 05:48 AM

i started working out again yesterday because with gaining the water weight it scared me into thinking i will never get this weight off :( so i figured at least i can be toned and fat for my vacation right!?! so i dusted jillian off and started 30d shred yesterday and today i did her no more trouble zones and i plan to alternate the 2 with a hit of her ban fat boost metabolism thrown in every now and then cause i hate that one the most but it works!! so i'm hoping that by adding some of the workouts in it'll at least help me feel better about myself when the scale is NOT my friend!! good luck!!

kris4chloe 12-31-2011 06:07 AM

I was really good about it, but right before Thanksgiving I got out of the habit. My gym membership expires today (I just do better going to the gym, to many kids around here for me to work out peacefully).

I plan on signing up at the gym closer to me this week.

So far I haven't needed the gym for the weight loss, but I need to tone up, I have lost 62 lbs over the past year and my muscle tone is a mess and if I don't get my butt in gear I am going to look like a big sack of sagging skin when I am done losing weight. :hyst:

sazzie 12-31-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 15284802)
Like Shelly, I don't work out for weight loss but for feeling good and healthy---and staying toned.

Most of my weight loss, I just swam laps and did some water exercises because I have severe osteoarthritis. But two things happened about a year ago. I injured my shoulder, which prohibited swimming, and I began to experience some bone loss (not yet serious), and wanted to do something more weight bearing.

I discovered strength training. I use the machines at my health club because I fear that I might injure myself with free weights if I don't have the right form (we only have trainers at night and I work out early morning).

I have become almost addicted to the strength work, and my body seems so much leaner at exactly the same weight. For example, I went down an entire pants size, although my weight never changed--just my measurements.

Strength work is recommended for 'old ladies' like me, and I'm loving it.

As an 'older' woman myself at 71, I can attest to the benefits of weight training.

I also use the machines for my Slow Burn routine so as to avoid any injuries.

I have osteopenia which is a precursor of osteoporosis and so far I've avoided the latter, thank goodness. I also have some arthritis in my lower back and I totally forget I have it when I do my routine consistently. No pain at all, but when I skip a few sessions, the pain comes creeping back.

I've been doing Slow Burn off and on since March '09.

KeirasMom 12-31-2011 09:33 AM

DD and I are taking a roller skating lesson and then doing free skate today for 2 hours! Wish us luck. :hyst: There will be NO photographic evidence of this particular excursion.

Leo41 12-31-2011 01:24 PM

Gracie-
Is the strength training recommended for osteopenia? One reason I began is that I'm hypothyroid, and we're susceptible to bone loss. My last bone scan showed loss for the first time, and the number at my hip was just one point into osteopenia. [My endo wasn't concerned, and a friend told me that she's registered with osteopenia for 10 years without developing osteoporosis.]

I can't walk for exercise because of my arthritis, knees and ankles are very bad, but I thought that the strength work would provide 'weight bearing' exercise.

Do you think that will help? Of course, I plan to continue doing it, but I was wondering if there's anything else I need to do?

(I just remembered that I am going for physical therapy for my shoulder next week, so I will ask the PT about this, too.)

LouLou 12-31-2011 03:58 PM

I have fallen off the wagon (so to speak) with JUDDD and with exercise! I am starting again on Monday! I am going to do Slim in 6. I found that I really like this. It is older workout but I love it> I was trying to do The Firm Express but I just can't! It is to hard for me and I don't want to stick with it. If I was 20 yrs younger maybe( I'm only 44 but it is hard). The Slim in 6 is hard but more toning which I really need and less jumping around! I also love to walk. I have a Biggest Loser walking dvd too that I like! After doing that it is like you walked a marathon. I think it take you a couple of weeks. I might just dust that off too!

KeirasMom 12-31-2011 06:34 PM

DD and I did go skating today and it was FUN! I also picked up a Leslie Sansone DVD to try next week.

sazzie 01-01-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 15285881)
Gracie-
Is the strength training recommended for osteopenia? One reason I began is that I'm hypothyroid, and we're susceptible to bone loss. My last bone scan showed loss for the first time, and the number at my hip was just one point into osteopenia. [My endo wasn't concerned, and a friend told me that she's registered with osteopenia for 10 years without developing osteoporosis.]

I can't walk for exercise because of my arthritis, knees and ankles are very bad, but I thought that the strength work would provide 'weight bearing' exercise.

Do you think that will help? Of course, I plan to continue doing it, but I was wondering if there's anything else I need to do?

(I just remembered that I am going for physical therapy for my shoulder next week, so I will ask the PT about this, too.)

Leo,

Asking your PT is a very good idea because I find that they are a lot more in tune with what you need rather than an MD.

I have been fortunate in finding an ND here in Florida who has helped me more than any MD out there. I started Slow Burn without his knowledge, but then told him, and his response was that with my history of o/penia and 2 rotater cuff surgeries, that it was a sound decision on my part and to definitely continue with the routine since it would also inhibit any more bone loss. In fact, it could increase!

My strength (especially lower body) sometimes surprises even myself, although the upper body is a lot weaker as it is in most women.

Not sure if you're able to do the leg press with your arthritis, but my trainer has told me that if he were to choose any one machine, the leg press would be it especially for women of my age.
I started over two years ago pressing 40 lbs, and today I can press 180 and it increases by 2-4 lbs. each session.

Only 1 set with 6-8 reps (very slowly) is required; that is the essentially Slow Burn.

So, any type of resistance training is good for us, but asking your P/T what method to use is a very wise idea.

Leo41 01-01-2012 09:29 AM

Thanks for the info, Gracie. I'll let you know what the PT says.

I do all the leg and butt machines and have been surprised that I don't really have any problems with my knees using these machines.

However, I do less weight and more reps. When I first did PT, the therapist told me that 20 reps should be a min., and 30 is ideal. So I start at the highest weight I can manage for 20 reps, and when I'm doing 30 comfortably, I up the weight.

Like you, I do much better with the lower body.

Because of my shoulder problem, the only upper-body I'm doing right now is for triceps, and when I began, I could do only 10 reps at the lowest weight (10 lbs). I'm now doing 25 reps at 20 lbs. It's not much, but it's nice to see improvement.

SoHappy 01-01-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 15281521)
I workout 5 to 7 days per week. Always in the morning. I have turbo jam and kickboxing and weight training dvds. I without anywhere from 45 min to an hour. I also have a gym membership and try to go on the weekends and get on the elliptical and treadmill. I have worked out constantly through my weightless and maintaining. I don't do it to telly help with weightless, I love how it makes me feel and I want to stay healthy and feeling young. I am actually the highest weight I have been in over 2 years right now. It's very frustrating and im at a loss as to what to do about it.

Hi, Shelly! :hugs: So, are you feeling a lot of this high weight number is FAT? I'm just wondering if it isn't the weight of fabulous solid lean glorious muscle. :) Your exercise hours and variety each week makes it seem like you couldn't possibly be carrying a great deal of excess body fat! :laugh:

I exercise some each day at home, mostly hand weights and floor exercises.. the simple kinds like push-ups and leg lifts and crunches, etc. Then at my fitness club I use their weight machines and treadmills, etc. and also enjoy swimming there. I do the pool, then the whirlpool tub, and then the dry sauna. Feel great afterward, that's for sure.

I never worry about whether it's an UD or a DD. I exercise several times most weeks and work it into the days that have us in that part of town anyway especially.

sazzie 01-02-2012 01:00 PM

Leo and anyone else who may be interested:

I neglected to mention that I take MSM powder which has helped me with eliminating arthritic pain to a high degree. It also has some other benefits.

Leo41 01-02-2012 02:01 PM

Gracie-

I took MSM several years ago for my arthritis, and I thought it was 'magic' in terms of pain reduction. Then I read that it can cause cardiac problems, and I stopped it immediately. Shortly afterwards, that actor James Coburn, who was a spokesman for MSM, died suddenly of a heart attack. I think he was only in his late 40s or early 50s.

This may not be a problem for everyone, but I didn't want to take any chances.

I now have total pain relief with diet and exercise and take no meds at all for my arthritis.

sazzie 01-02-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 15290732)
Gracie-

I took MSM several years ago for my arthritis, and I thought it was 'magic' in terms of pain reduction. Then I read that it can cause cardiac problems, and I stopped it immediately. Shortly afterwards, that actor James Coburn, who was a spokesman for MSM, died suddenly of a heart attack. I think he was only in his late 40s or early 50s.

This may not be a problem for everyone, but I didn't want to take any chances.

I now have total pain relief with diet and exercise and take no meds at all for my arthritis.

Wow Leo, I had no idea.......will be doing some research on that.

MLE 01-04-2012 04:17 AM

I am new to JUDDD and intend to continue working out with resistance training/cardio. I am going to experiment with the Leangains approach and do a fasted workout on UD's with BCAA's as recommended on the Leangains site before opening my eating window. If I stop eating on DD's by 9pm, then my 14-16hr. fast period will end between 11am and 1pm, which works well with my schedule. I usually workout between 9am and 11am, while my little one is at preK. I have a scale that measures body fat, too, so I will see how it goes!! The Leangains approach is supposed to work really well at burning fat and keep muscle. Let the experiment begin...

sophiethecat 01-04-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLE (Post 15295575)
I am new to JUDDD and intend to continue working out with resistance training/cardio. I am going to experiment with the Leangains approach and do a fasted workout on UD's with BCAA's as recommended on the Leangains site before opening my eating window. If I stop eating on DD's by 9pm, then my 14-16hr. fast period will end between 11am and 1pm, which works well with my schedule. I usually workout between 9am and 11am, while my little one is at preK. I have a scale that measures body fat, too, so I will see how it goes!! The Leangains approach is supposed to work really well at burning fat and keep muscle. Let the experiment begin...

Good luck, MLE! :) Sounds like a good plan to me! I do something similiar with my eating and since I started, I have dropped even more weight than I intended!

MLE 01-04-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15296073)
I do something similiar with my eating and since I started, I have dropped even more weight than I intended!

Those are encouraging words!! Thank you!!:D

mrsdewinter 01-05-2012 04:20 AM

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your replies - its interesting how others exercise and why!

itsmeshelley,leo and sazzie: congrats on getting on with the weight training! im in my early 20s and really dislike doing weight training even though I know from an earlier experience that strength training makes me drop the kgs even quicker (well, at least I look a lot leaner quicker!). Def gonna start tomorrow (I hope I stick to it this time!)

Keirasmom: that sounds fun! I think I should try out sth new soon - I always end up bored with my exercise routine :/

kel7298 01-05-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsdewinter (Post 15298972)
I know from an earlier experience that strength training makes me drop the kgs even quicker (well, at least I look a lot leaner quicker!). Def gonna start tomorrow (I hope I stick to it this time!)
/

That is wonderful! I actually started Chalean Extreme this past Monday. So far I am liking it, though my butt has different thoughts :console:

Hazelsmrf 01-05-2012 10:37 AM

I am walking 30 minutes a day on an incline on my treadmill, I hate hate cardio, at least I can put a tv show on my ipad and just watch it while I mindlessly walk.

Strength training, here's my plan for this year:

Brain over Brawn (free ebook)
brain over brawn*|* Get the book.

Workout A: Squats, push ups

Workout B: Deadlifts, rows, working up to *gulp* pull ups, one day eventually maybe way way way down the line.