Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I'm going shopping today, what should I get? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/750797-im-going-shopping-today-what-should-i-get.html)

rubidoux 12-27-2011 12:02 PM

I'm going shopping today, what should I get?

So far, I've got laughing cow, cabbage, diet swiss miss, light cream on my list. Is there anything else that you all can't live without? I am trying to stay very low carb if I can, too.

I've seen sugar free creamer recommended, what brand is good? Is it flavored?

Dottie 12-27-2011 12:17 PM

Chicken breasts; pouch tuna in water; turkey meatballs; veggie burgers(about 100 cals each patty); low-cal/carb pasta sauce(I use 1/4 cup at a time for just me, so I freeze the rest in ice cube trays - each slot holds about 2T); unsweetened almond milk; Joseph's low-carb pita bread (60 cals; 8g carbs/4g fiber each).

mattsmama 12-27-2011 12:21 PM

I like the Coffeemate sugar free peppermint for the holiday season. I was only able to find it in WalMart. Otherwise, the Aldi brand sugar free creamers are good, too.

I think Joseph's low carb pitas (BJ's Wholesale in my area) are great for 60 cals each.

If you are still doing low carb, a good little "lunch" is any lean cold cut (2 oz=70 cals or less) spread with 2 Tbsp of one of the flavored Philadelphia brand cream cheeses in the tub. The garden vegetable is 70 or 80 cals for 2 Tbsp, which is quite a bit.

I am finding the Jenny O products to be a great value at Walmart. The Italian turkey sausages are pretty good, and are 160 cals for one link.

Hope this helps! :shake:

SlowSure 12-27-2011 12:22 PM

Depending on whether you like them or have other issues with them, I find both white fish and shellfish (shrimp, prawns, scallops) to be low calorie and delicious.

If you can look at some of the recipes in the DD thread, you'll see frequent mention of oat fibre and it is remarkably useful for making either little pancakes or muffins if those appeal to you.

sophiethecat 12-27-2011 12:31 PM

Walmart sells their brand of salmon fillets in individual pouches, and a serving is 100 calories.

Knittering 12-27-2011 12:59 PM

Canned shrimp and crab
Broth
Choy suey veggies (canned)
Radishes / celery / jicama
Egg Beaters / egg whites
SF Popsicles
Rotisserie chicken

mrsdewinter 12-27-2011 03:02 PM

hearts of palm! i`m sure soe mentioned this in another threads but it tastes amazing and is VERY low cal (according to ****** - 1 cup has 40.9 cals, 0.9g fat, 6.7 carbs, 3.7 proteins). It`s great on it`s on or in salads and tarts (quiches etc)

make sure you buy the sustainable stuff though.. you`ll do the amazon forest some good!

KeirasMom 12-27-2011 04:09 PM

Shirataki noodles. I can't live without my shirataki! :heart:

Lots of fresh veggies and lower calorie proteins.
Eggbeaters egg whites
cabbage, cabbage, cabbage

I love serrano chilis with most of my DD foods. Something about spicy foods makes me feel fuller longer and it's only 2 calories for 1 small chili.

Wyler's beef bouillon (0 calories) or chicken (5 calories)

Rice cakes are good with laughing cow and serrano. Yum!

I could go on. I love finding creative ways to get very few calories.

itsmeshelly01 12-27-2011 04:19 PM

Yogurt nonfat or low fat
Low fat cottage cheese
Canned pumpkin
Raw zucchini its great for snacking
Egg whites
Psyllium husk
Canned shrimp and crab
Tuna, salmon and sardine packets
Unsweetened almond milk, a smoothie is really nice sometimes
Oat fiber
Cabbage slaw