Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emky
Stats: CW:144 GW:130
WOE: Atkins + Shangri-la
Start Date: January 2014
Should I try again?

Okay, so most people probably don't remember the three weeks I did JUDDD this fall. I stopped because my ED (bulimia) returned in full force while on the plan. Adding carbs back (and sugar) REALLY threw me for a loop and overall the thing was just a mess. My UDs became full on binges which I would try desperately to purge. The sad thing is I did actually lose weight while on this effed-up version of the plan.

After seeing what happened to me during that time, my psychiatrist yanked me off of the Wellbutrin I had been taking for a few months. Almost immediately, my thinking became more linear and less erratic. The bingeing/purging was still a problem, but I decided my best shot would be to go back to low carb for a while (specifically, Induction). It helped, but I was still eating wayyy too much. I regained what I had lost on JUDDD and then some. I wondered WTH because I had not had issues with overeating and cravings in the past. It was then that I realized that my weight has gone UP and stayed up for the past year- ever since I began using liquid splenda and finally 100% powdered sucralose. I used it in damn-near everything. I was probably using--I kid you not--at least 20-50 splenda packets-worth of the stuff a day.

I've known for a while now that all artificial sweeteners cause me to have wicked cravings/mess with my body (I end up eating more because my body is not getting the calories it expects from the sweet taste). I decided to look at the research again. Not good. So, 2 days before Christmas I dumped all my expensive, beloved sweetener out. AND all products with AS's in them (walden's farm stuff, sf jello, reduced-sugar ketchup, etc..)

Cut to today- I am 6 lbs lighter even after indulging in some X-mas sweets (made with real sugar) because my brain has actually allowed me to be satisfied after I'm full! This is AMAZING!

So, long story short- I think I'd be able to do JUDDD now without triggering the b/p cycle. I want to use this plan because I still have 20 lbs to lose and I think it would be the quickest way. I'd stay low carb while losing the weight, but my ultimate goal would be a maintenance in which I could enjoy a piece of fruit or some other "natural" sweet item once in a while. I am done with artificial sweeteners for good. Done, done, done. I even stopped drinking vodka and diet cokes at the bar- I'm a martini girl now! I do love me some Grey Goose

What do you all think?
emky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I don't have any experience with that sort of eating disorder or with JUDDD either, for that matter (I'm only on my second day today). But I know that carbs really mess me up and make me spin out of control. I think it was more the carbs than the JUDDDing that was a problem, unless it was just general dieting. I know that counting calories can also kinda set me off, though usually I get obsessive and don't want to eat anything when I count calories. But if you are going to be trying to lose the weight, I kinda think JUDDD would be worth another try.

I'm curious about the wellbutrin, though. Do you think it was part of the problem? I'm wondering why your doc thought it needed to be stopped. And I'm also wondering if it causes weight gain, like SSRI's can.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi Emky!! What I think is that you can definitely do this!! I DO remember when you tried JUDDD in the fall, and I've missed you here! It's great to see a post from you again. That's WONDERFUL that you have lost 6# and you enjoyed the holiday and that included real sugar in moderation. I've heard for some people that AS leads to cravings because the body realizes it's been "tricked" into thinking it had sugar and when it realizes it didn't get it, it causes you to eat more and more. That's cool that you were able to intuitively give it what it wanted, and it settled down and was satisfied.

I can see how going from LC to JUDDD could trigger binges in those who have ED because people usually are coming to JUDDD from strict LC and suddenly they are allowed anything on JUDDD and there are all those sweet, carby things dangling within reach! And so we consider JUDDD a "high carb" woe, when really it's not inherently that, it's just calorie cycling and we get to choose where those calories we are cycling comes from, whether it's all Twinkies or whale blubber, lol.

I don't have an ED, but even I saw myself eat in some ways that alarmed me when on UDs, during the first month of JUDDD. Especially around Halloween when there was all that sugar in the house. I threw back mini sizes of M&Ms, large boxes of Hot Tamales candy, etc. For me, it's not carbs like bread and chips that are my downfall, it's SWEETS like cookies, candy, milk chocolate. Eating those things set off a cascade if I'm not careful. Plus, there were times when I thought I had to eat all the goodies I wanted on UD because I wouldn't get anymore until the day after tomorrow!

But there are three main things I want to get to after saying all that.

One is that for me, my carby eating began to "settle down" after about 6 weeks of JUDDD. Oddly enough, I started to gravitate back toward the healthier whole foods and good fats, and started to shun more of the processed, low cal, low fat foods. No judgments on those foods, it's just that my body seems to naturally want things like high protein, fats, some veggies and fruits, a little bread and starches, and my brain wants them to come from homemade instead of a package most of the time! If I can do roughly 75% "clean" eating after these holidays are over, I will be satisfied. Like I said, it was about 6 weeks into JUDDD when I noticed that moderating effect. I think my skin and hair were also starting to suffer a bit (dryness) from lack of good fats and proteins that I'd been eating all the time on LC but greatly reduced in the first month of JUDDD, so that is of course another motivator for me to get back to more fat and proteins.

Second thing is, I do a version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, and this lets me have a period of UD eating every day, and so I think there's this mental thing going on where I know I can have whatever it is I want EVERYDAY, and so it's helped carby foods lose their grip on me. I think it's human nature to want what we can't have, but once you know you can have it, it loses some power. That's one reason I made it through Christmas with all the cookies, pies, and other sweets that are my downfall without overdoing it. Once they seem "common" - something you can have any day, you don't have to cram them in on UD only. But, I am also in maintenance, and my woe has branched out from UD to FD (free days - no calorie counting, no limits!!) and from regular JUDDD to MUDDD, along with incorporating other intermittent fasting. Funny thing is, again this has had a moderating effect on what and when I eat because even though I'm technically in my FD eating today, I decided to make it a full DD so tomorrow can be FD lunch out with family. But never before could I so casually give up a full day of eating if I didn't have to. I think adjusting to my little fasts and all the shaking up of my routine that seems to naturally happen has also made food lose a lot of its grip on me.

I just wanted to share my experiences because it may prove the same for you or someone else, though we are all different. But there is definitely hope that carbs and other foods can lose their stranglehold on us because the body and brain seem amazingly adaptive when we give it plenty of time and what it needs to fuel it.

Third thing I was gonna say was that you can most definitely do this woe on LC. And your plan to include more carbs in the future sounds very healthy and balanced, and perfect for you!

Go for it! Welcome back!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't want to deter you, but in the 3 years I've been doing JUDDD, I've noticed (and it's actually documented) that the restrictions of DDs tend to cause anyone with a history of ED to relapse. Most therapists advise their clients with ED to avoid any type of restrictive eating plan.

Ironically, such restrictive plans appeal to people with ED histories, so many of them have 'passed through' JUDDD in the 3 years I've been following posts here.

Another "red flag" for me is your desire for the 'quickest' way to lose weight. That is almost always counter-productive, and is especially dangerous thinking for someone with an ED history.

Standard low-carb eating would be, IMO, your best choice, since most people have found that low carb in itself tends to minimize binge tendencies, and the appetite suppression of ketosis will help with more moderate eating.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I don't want to deter you, but in the 3 years I've been doing JUDDD, I've noticed (and it's actually documented) that the restrictions of DDs tend to cause anyone with a history of ED to relapse. Most therapists advise their clients with ED to avoid any type of restrictive eating plan.

Ironically, such restrictive plans appeal to people with ED histories, so many of them have 'passed through' JUDDD in the 3 years I've been following posts here.

Another "red flag" for me is your desire for the 'quickest' way to lose weight. That is almost always counter-productive, and is especially dangerous thinking for someone with an ED history.

Standard low-carb eating would be, IMO, your best choice, since most people have found that low carb in itself tends to minimize binge tendencies, and the appetite suppression of ketosis will help with more moderate eating.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Rubidoux- My weight was stable on the Wellbutrin, except for the bit I lost doing the messed-up calorie cycling. In my case it was having a MAJOR impact on my thinking and behavior. It was hard to see that at the time, but once I had been off of it a week it was obvious that I had kind of lost my mind while taking it. My actions/character became so erratic that I even had to apologize to one of my professors/mentors for how moody, short, and weird I was around her. I began taking frantic walks at night, in the cold (I normally HATE the cold) thinking in loops. It's almost like I'd have an idea and then that thought would explode into 20 little pieces of which I'd thoroughly analyze all. I'd have many different planes of negative, unhappy thoughts going at once--it was crazy. Now, I'm back to feeling and thinking "normally".

Sophie- Hi! I'm glad you remember me. I've actually been following you and the other JUDDDer's posts silently for a bit now; I knew I wanted to try the plan again but I didn't want to try it before I knew I could do it in a healthy way. After all, I don't want to be the one demoralizing ED-weirdo on here, you know?

I like your FDs and I know this is kind of taboo around here, but I want to try this plan with all my UDs being FDs. I think I can get away with this because I'm doing strict low carb AND because my artifical sweetener cravings appear to be gone. I already pretty much *know* I'll lose weight this way--I mean hell, I lost decently in the fall with high-carb, high-sugar 3000 cal+ UDs (tmi but I couldn't purge nearly everything I ate) and the standard 340-500 cal DDs.

MUDDD seems like a good idea for maintenance, but do you think it could work for weight loss? I'm just trying to come up with alternative plans in case I start seeing the b/p cycle rear its ugly head again.

I really am ready to give this thing a go. I actually have the time to take care of myself and many of the things that were stressing me out are done with: school (I have my degrees and --I'm totally bragging to internet strangers here--I graduated summa cum laude- woohoo!), my show, my department responsibilities, and...my best friend turned unfortunate boyfriend. Now that is a story. Thankfully, we're done and he doesn't want to ever see me again. Great. I keep telling myself it's just one less thing to worry about. I almost believe it.

Anyhoo- the only really pressing thing is that I decided just two days ago that I want to do grad school in the fall. Most applications for the program I'm interested in are due by January 15th. I'd better get my stuff together asap. Oh, and there's the little burden of finding a JOB, but whatev.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

Thank you for your honesty. I'm also worried about this, but I want to give it one more shot since many factors have changed for me. Trust me- I am going to give up calorie cycling at ANY sign of a relapse. It's just not worth it. I would have stayed with generic low carb forever, but I gained all the weight I lost on it (in 2009/2010) back after I started eating more last year.

All I know is that I'm NOT happy where I am, I WAS happy when I was at my goal weight, but staying healthy is my first priority. I guess saying I want to lose quickly is a red flag, but I am also okay with losing at a slower pace. Whatever gets me to my goal in a non-ED way, and whatever will sustain that loss in a similar manner is what I'm looking for.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I think you can do this and I you back to our JUDDD family!!

And for the record; All SF stuff makes me want to eat and eat, non-stop! This is the reason I hardly use it at all anymore!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

^^Thanks, Beeb

It's good to know I'm not the only one who can't tolerate artificial sweeteners