Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsdewinter
Stats: 149.9/146.6/116 - 5'4
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 26/12/2011
And the fatty returns (never been to this forum but have tried JUDDD before!)

...well half-heartedly I must admit.

Hi everyone!

First time on this forum and have been snooping around for a bit and I like what I see.

I want to lose 10 - 15 kgs (22 - 33lbs) and I`ve got +- 3 months to do it..and I really have to this time be able to get there and not gain it all back (lost that weight last year but gained it back before the summer of this yr

I`m just a bit worried about getting all my calories in for my UDs..according to the JUDDD website I`m supposed to eat 2200 cal which sounds like SUCH a massive amount (and although I really do love to eat it still sounds harder getting that many calories in than sticking to 500cals on DDs).. apparently JUDDD doesn`t really work unless you really stick to it 100% and do eat the recommended amount on UDs...what are your thoughts?

And has anyone been successful using JUDDD for shedding just a `little` bit of weight (10-30 lbs)??
mrsdewinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
I wanted to lose 21lbs. I have lost 14lbs since Oct. 27th with 500/600 DD's and 1600/1800 UD's. So to answer your question....YES!!

Welcome to JUDDD
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
apparently JUDDD doesn`t really work unless you really stick to it 100% and do eat the recommended amount on UDs...what are your thoughts?
This is a concept that seems to have crept into JUDDD recently--and is completely erroneous.

Way back when I began JUDDD 3 years ago, I was concerned about my UD calorie recommendation (as were some others) because I came to JUDDD due to my metabolic problems that require me to severely restrict calories. I knew I could not lose unless I did 400 cal DDs and no more than 1400 cal UDs, but the calculator recommendation for my UDs was much higher.

At that time, Dr. Johnson answered e-mail on his website (I don't know whether that's still the case), and I contacted him to ask about the UD number--which for me was much too high. He answered that the UD number was basically a 'limit' not a recommendation, and he probably should not have given a number at all because it is supposed to be about a person's 'maintenance level.'

So I used my 1400 cal for UDs, sometimes less (about 1200), and I lost steadily (only about a pound a week, but that's good for me, as I'm post-menopausal and hypothyroid). I had no stalls at all and got to goal with JUDDD, losing my final 100 lbs and have been maintaining with JUDDD.

So everyone needs to find an UD calorie level that is comfortable and allows the individual to lose. For some it might be as high as the 'recommended' UD, but for many, it may be lower. There is NO value (according to Dr. J) in forcing oneself to eat to a higher level than is comfortable.

One loses on the average between DDs and UDs--i.e., the total calorie intake for the week, and it's the deficit that allows for loss.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
[QUOTE=mrsdewinter;15273630
I`m just a bit worried about getting all my calories in for my UDs..according to the JUDDD website I`m supposed to eat 2200 cal which sounds like SUCH a massive amount [/QUOTE]

Are you very active?? 2200 is my UD limit and I weigh 100lbs more than you do?? Perhaps revisit the website or a few of the other calculators.

Even if you are very active - it may be a little high for your weight.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
What Leo said. Keeping DD low, and keeping a sharp contrast between UD/DD calories is critical. Something like 3x or 4x seems to be healthy and productive. So, Leo's 1400/400 = 3.5x. And Leo is in (gosh I am truly impressed) maintenance!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I should add that my endo was very impressed with my ability to lose (given my metabolic issues) and he approved my caloric level and thinks that JUDDD is an amazing concept. Because I have to eat basically <1000 cal a day to lose, it was much too frustrating to do on a daily basis. But with JUDDD, it was easy, given the alternate days.

My endo told me that he has patients with metabolic problems that cannot eat more than 750 cal a day to lose, and he planned to recommend JUDDD to them.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karen925
Stats: 192/mid 120's maintaining; 5'8", 49 yrs
WOE: low calorie low carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Oct 2009 low calorie/low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
So everyone needs to find an UD calorie level that is comfortable and allows the individual to lose. For some it might be as high as the 'recommended' UD, but for many, it may be lower. There is NO value (according to Dr. J) in forcing oneself to eat to a higher level than is comfortable.

One loses on the average between DDs and UDs--i.e., the total calorie intake for the week, and it's the deficit that allows for loss.
This is the core truth. Calculators and other people's numbers are meant to be only a guide of where to start. I took three sites numbers averaged them together, then subtracted 100-200 calories, because I had heard that these sites over estimate. Very quickly, I found what my calorie/carb limits where for me. I use that information as my DD/UD limits. I never stalled when losing. My body is very efficient. I needs less calories than I think it should:-)
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I've seen it mentioned several times to newbies, that you must make sure you're calculating for pounds and not kilograms in the calorie calculators. It sounds like that high number may be a result of that common error.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsdewinter
Stats: 149.9/146.6/116 - 5'4
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 26/12/2011
Hi everyone,

thank you for the advice and welcomes! First UD today and went a little bit over board...but as far as I can tell from fellow juddders that`s normal when starting juddd..

[QUOTE=MintQ8;15273630
Are you very active?? 2200 is my UD limit and I weigh 100lbs more than you do?? Perhaps revisit the website or a few of the other calculators.

Even if you are very active - it may be a little high for your weight.t [/QUOTE]

I excercise 2 - 4 times a week (usually 40 mins of HIIT) but I just double checked and the JUDDD website is actually recommending 2046 cals on UDs, I`m gonna stay on the safe side though and try not to go over 1800 on UDs (which I`ve kinda managed today )

thanks for making me double check though!

Thanks leo, kel, gotmesomegold and karen! Good advice that I`ll try to follow the best I can!

x
mrsdewinter is offline   Reply With Quote