Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Food Sensitivity/Allergy? - trying to figure it out

The last two days, I've been feeling fine, and then within 10 - 20 minutes of finishing a Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger & value fries (with ketchup), I get itchy nose, eyes, sneezing, phlem, runny nose, etc.

I had that meal yesterday for a late lunch and today as well. Same reaction both times. I'm going to figure this out. I think it's either the buns or the potatoes.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Could be whatever seasoning they use, too. Those aren't my personal MSG reaction, but it could be something along those lines.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
The first thing I thought of was MSG!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/134/135, 52 yo
WOE: LCHF Primal
Start Date: 12/02
Here are the ingredients in that burger alone. There are SO many things that could be causing that reaction. (Wendy's burgers also contain "pink slime", or ammoniated trimmings from off the slaughterhouse floor, which are typically very high in e-coli and salmonella. They pour ammonia over the floor waste to kill most of the bacteria, then they put it in the burgers. No other country in the world allows this practice. We do, for some odd reason, and it goes into fast-food and school lunch program burgers. Yum.)

Cleaner eating might make your body happier.

JBC (Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger)

Jr. Hamburger Patty
Ground Beef. Seasoned with Salt.
American Cheese
Cultured Milk, Water, Cream, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Citric Acid, Sorbic Acid (preservative), Artificial Color, Enzymes, Soy Lecithin. CONTAINS: MILK, SOY.

Applewood Smoked Bacon
Pork Cured With: Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.

Mayonnaise
Soybean Oil, Egg Yolk, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Mustard Seed, Natural Flavors, Calcium Disodium EDTA (to protect flavor). CONTAINS: EGG.

Ketchup
Tomato Concentrate (made from red ripe tomatoes), Distilled Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Salt, Spice, Onion Powder, Natural Flavoring.
Mustard
Water, Distilled Vinegar, Mustard Seed, Salt, Turmeric (color), Paprika, Spice

Honey Mustard Sauce
Soybean Oil, Honey, Water, Dijon Mustard (distilled vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, white wine, citric acid, tartaric acid, spices), Sugar, Distilled Vinegar, Egg Yolk, Salt, Mustard Seed, Egg White, Xanthan Gum, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate (preservatives), Titanium Dioxide, Spice, Garlic (dehydrated), Onion (dehydrated), Natural Flavor, Lemon Juice from Concentrate, Calcium Disodium EDTA (to protect flavor). CONTAINS: EGG.

Crinkle Cut Pickles
Cucumbers, Water, Salt, Vinegar, Lactic Acid, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Natural Flavors, Polysorbate 80, Turmeric (color).
Red Onion
Red Onion.
Tomato
Tomatoes.
Lettuce
Lettuce
Sandwich Bun
Enriched Flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, niacin, iron, folic acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vegetable Oil (contains one or more of the following: soybean, cottonseed, canola), Yeast, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Contains 2% or less of the following: Dough Conditioners (contains one or more of the following: sodium stearoyl lactylate, calcium stearoyl-2-lactylate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, mono and diglycerides, DATEM, enzymes), Yeast Nutrients (may contain one or more of the following: monocalcium phosphate, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, ammonium sulfate), Turmeric, Paprika, Annatto, Natural Flavor, Calcium Silicate, Calcium Propionate (preservative). CONTAINS: WHEAT.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
The more I learn about food, the less I want to eat out.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I agree!! Wow
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
ITA.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
They pour ammonia over the floor waste to kill most of the bacteria, then they put it in the burgers.
I'm not defending "pink slime", but what I've read in a few places is that the "meat" is forced through a tube and exposed to ammonia gas. It may be scraped off the floor, but I don't think they actually pour liquid ammonia onto it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us...pagewanted=all

Anyway, I've also read that the majority of this stuff is in frozen hamburger patties. Fresh ground beef may be safer.

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-23-2011 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: add link
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/134/135, 52 yo
WOE: LCHF Primal
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I'm not defending "pink slime", but what I've read in a few places is that the "meat" is forced through a tube and exposed to ammonia gas. It may be scraped off the floor, but I don't think they actually pour liquid ammonia onto it.

Safety of Beef Processing Method Is Questioned - NYTimes.com

Anyway, I've also read that the majority of this stuff is in frozen hamburger patties. Fresh ground beef may be safer.
Interesting. I hadn't realized that the ammonia was in the form of gas rather than liquid. It is in most of the fast food burgers and supermarket ground beef now sold in the US, according to this article: Yummy! Ammonia-Treated Pink Slime Now in Most U.S. Ground Beef | Environment | AlterNet

Luckily for all of us, with a little effort it's not hard to find real meat from real farmers.

And if you don't have time to find real meat, then at the supermarket, pick up a hunk of chuck and ask the butcher to wash it and then grind it for you. There's no need to buy hamburger or ground beef. A piece of chuck that's rinsed then ground for you will have far less bacteria contamination--and no pink slime! Hamburger sold in the US is legally allowed to contain up to 15% pink slime. But if it's labelled 100% ground chuck (or ground sirloin) it can't contain the slime.

Last edited by tiva; 12-24-2011 at 05:33 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote