Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Most come onto the JUDDD forum here and read about our wonderful plan and then go to the JUDDD site (and maybe others) and do the calculator and out when they see that their DD calories are really low (as is the case for most of us, me included )! I almost didn't even try JUDDD because the site calculator told me I needed to eat no more than 330 calories on my DDs, at the lowest percentage of 20% with little or no exercise!

NO WAY!! I knew I would never make it if I could only eat this little bit! I wrote to Pat (SoHappy) and she suggested I start at a calorie number somewhere between 40 and 45 percent on the site calculator. This brought my DD calories up to 700 and that I KNEW I could do.

I did and the rest is amazing weight loss history!! So......don't let that number scare you. YES, I KNOW Dr. J recommends that we keep our DD number, at least for the first 2 weeks, no higher than 500 calories and I think that is a great thing, IF you can do it. IF not then why not up them a bit, especially if you only have a little bit to lose to get to your goal weight (I only had 6 pounds to get to the goal of 145)? And the funny thing is I never got up to that 700 calories anyway, but it was nice knowing I could if I wanted to! And it also gave me the knowledge that this plan is flexible enough to work in a way I felt comfortable with!!

I think this may help those who see that number, like I did, and run for the hills!! AND it could mean the difference between trying JUDDD or not!
But what did you use for your up day number? Did you use the number the calculator gave you, or did you just eat what you wanted like some others do here.

My up day number is 1544, and I am still hungry eating that small amount. I have raised my down day number to 500 and my upday number to 1810, and it's not too bad.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I am considering this plan, with the knowledge that my maintenance level calories are around 1700: MWF DDs @400 cals, TTHSun @2000 cals, and Sat. at 1500. This would give enough of a deficit to lose 3-4 lbs a month. That would be perfect (to me).

11,900 maintenance for one week -

8,700 cals (the plan I'm trying) = 3200 deficit

I expect to eat less on some days, and more on others, but hope to equal out to around a lb loss per week. That is, until Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 09-20-2013 at 03:49 PM..
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
My concern with starting with higher DDs is it may inhibit the production of SIRT enzymes and for me, being SIRT saturated gives me amazing appetite suppression. Without the power of the SIRTs I would be starving on 700 calories with little hope of the SIRTs ramping up. But of course the most important part of Juddd is that you stick with it so if starting higher makes it work that is what is truly important. I hope Dr. Johnson's new book will shed more light on SIRT production and the calorie levels that are needed for maximum benefits.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

I thought I read in the book that Dr. J said that 500 calories is low enough to have good SIRTs.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

I think Carly meant Beeb's suggestion of 700 or more. However, I feel if you need to work down to a lower DD, even if it means eating 1000 on DDs, it's better than not trying this WOE. When you do get to 500 and lower consistently, you will start getting the SIRTs.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I was referring to Beeb's/ Linda's original post. Like I said, though, the most important part of juddd is that one can stick with it so if it helps to start with higher DD that is good. I know 700 would be hard for me without the benefit of SIRT production so that is my only caution about skipping induction.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hi there!

My DD number started out at 322. I have done this since I started JUDDD and I have had no problems with this number. I have tried several different ways of doing it and they all work. It is not as bad as it sounds.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #68
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
But what did you use for your up day number? Did you use the number the calculator gave you, or did you just eat what you wanted like some others do here.

My up day number is 1544, and I am still hungry eating that small amount. I have raised my down day number to 500 and my upday number to 1810, and it's not too bad.
Hi there! I am not doing JUDDD anymore but just some info for you: I never did induction at all. I started my JUDDD journey doing 700 calorie DDs and 1700 calorie UDs. When I calculated the DD/UD calories it was a crazy DD number like 357 or something like that! I freaked out, wrote to SoHappy and she suggested I start higher and see what happened, which I did. I never worked my way down past that 700 calories but it usually was a little less on a regular basis, anywhere between 600 and 700 but never over. Most UDs was very close to the 1700 calories and when I wanted to stop losing and was still going strong I upped the DDs to 800/850 and the UDs to 1800. I maintained well on that until I decided I could stop counting my UDs and that is when all heck broke out!

I think JUDDD is a wonderful WOE and know it's a great fit for a lot of people!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 09-22-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Most UDs was very close to the 1700 calories and when I wanted to stop losing and was still going strong I upped the DDs to 800/850 and the UDs to 1800. I maintained well on that until I decided I could stop counting my UDs and that is when all heck broke out!
So what "heck" broke out? You started gaining weight?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

She's explained it a few times, and maybe here in this thread, but I think it was because she started bingeing and felt it was brought on by JUDDD. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that, Beeb.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
She's explained it a few times, and maybe here in this thread, but I think it was because she started bingeing and felt it was brought on by JUDDD. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that, Beeb.
You are very right! I NEVER and I mean NEVER had a binging problem until I was about 6 months into JUDDD and then it was an all out war with food for me! Because I had never binged before I didn't know what was happening and why my relationship with food was so terrible until I went to see someone who told me I had Night Eating Syndrome, binging all night and sometimes even waking up to eat, which I didn't do, thank goodness! At this point I KNEW it was JUDDD related for sure.

It has taken me from the stopping of my JUDDD WOE in November, 2012 until now to get a handle on my binging. In the mean time I have gained 20 pounds since then and am now just starting to see it go away.

Even with all this said, though I still think JUDDD is an amazing WOE and I recommend it to anyone WITHOUT an eating disorder. My only suggestion is if you find yourself binging on your UDs to try to get to the top of your calories (which is recommended) then please take stock and see if JUDDD is still a good WOE for you. Also, please continue to count your DD AND UD calories. It really does help to keep things rolling along the JUDDD highway smoothly!

The saddest thing is this: My body felt wonderful on JUDDD, but it was a terrible fit for my mind!

Last edited by Beeb; 09-23-2013 at 07:44 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gillygum
Stats: 5'6 - 150+/132.2/120
WOE: experimenting
Even 700 calories I have an extremely difficult time staying under. What am I doing wrong?? I get so hungry that I can't sleep and get cranky. Any tips?
gillygum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygum View Post
Even 700 calories I have an extremely difficult time staying under. What am I doing wrong?? I get so hungry that I can't sleep and get cranky. Any tips?
I answered you here.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:41 AM   #74
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
You are very right! I NEVER and I mean NEVER had a binging problem until I was about 6 months into JUDDD and then it was an all out war with food for me! Because I had never binged before I didn't know what was happening and why my relationship with food was so terrible until I went to see someone who told me I had Night Eating Syndrome, binging all night and sometimes even waking up to eat, which I didn't do, thank goodness! At this point I KNEW it was JUDDD related for sure.

It has taken me from the stopping of my JUDDD WOE in November, 2012 until now to get a handle on my binging. In the mean time I have gained 20 pounds since then and am now just starting to see it go away.

Even with all this said, though I still think JUDDD is an amazing WOE and I recommend it to anyone WITHOUT an eating disorder. My only suggestion is if you find yourself binging on your UDs to try to get to the top of your calories (which is recommended) then please take stock and see if JUDDD is still a good WOE for you. Also, please continue to count your DD AND UD calories. It really does help to keep things rolling along the JUDDD highway smoothly!

The saddest thing is this: My body felt wonderful on JUDDD, but it was a terrible fit for my mind!
I really hate that JUDDD didn't work for you, Beeb. You were such a great motivator! I do want to point out, however, that overeating, or bingeing is *not* encouraged by Dr. Johnson, and probably not by anyone else who's written anything about ADF. People are encouraged to not *restrict* calories lower than they would eat naturally, if it falls way below their recommended UD numbers, which many people try to do because they are so used to dieting and restricting. And some of the JB's have recommended "eat all your UD calories", but that wasn't in the book. Not if it meant stuffing yourself beyond satiety. If I'm wrong about that, I'd be glad for someone to correct me.

Again, I'm glad you found the WOE that works for you.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
Interesting that you say, Beeb, that you never did induction - do you think it could have added to the binge eating 6 months later? I do not totally understand the SIRT - or how we "know" they are working for us? Of course I never read the book either. Is it just the appetite suppression that we can notice, and the other benefits not as noticable?
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I really hate that JUDDD didn't work for you, Beeb. You were such a great motivator! I do want to point out, however, that overeating, or bingeing is *not* encouraged by Dr. Johnson, and probably not by anyone else who's written anything about ADF. People are encouraged to not *restrict* calories lower than they would eat naturally, if it falls way below their recommended UD numbers, which many people try to do because they are so used to dieting and restricting. And some of the JB's have recommended "eat all your UD calories", but that wasn't in the book. Not if it meant stuffing yourself beyond satiety. If I'm wrong about that, I'd be glad for someone to correct me.

Again, I'm glad you found the WOE that works for you.
back to you! You are very right in what you said here but the restriction on DDs was the start of the binging, and then what seems like a "free for all" for me on the UDs when I stopped counting the calories on those UDs. In the book it even says there is no "need" to count UD calories so I figured why not just stop counting them? NOT smart for me at all!

When I went back to counting my UD calories again it was too late, my mind was a bingers mind and I had to stop all dieting. And yes, it wasn't in the book to "eat all your UD calories" but seasoned JUDDD BUDDDs suggested this to keep the weight loss going. It worked for me, that is for sure, and it worked very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
Interesting that you say, Beeb, that you never did induction - do you think it could have added to the binge eating 6 months later? I do not totally understand the SIRT - or how we "know" they are working for us? Of course I never read the book either. Is it just the appetite suppression that we can notice, and the other benefits not as noticable?
I have never done induction on any WOE and they all worked for me, but that is just me, not anyone else and I KNOW for a fact that JUDDD was the ONLY WOE that caused a binging issue to come about. No other WOE did this to me, even though I never did their induction phase either. I truly do not believe doing induction would have made a difference. It's not a one size fits all world, as we all know, and JUDDD just wasn't a good fit after awhile for me. It's a great WOE, just not for me.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

I fall into the category of having to count, because I can eat all my UD calories and more, without bingeing. Of course, I am trying to find a way to eat all I want, and still lose. Dieter's dilemma from the beginning of (dieting) time.