Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   DD meal idea's when cooking for your family? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/749761-dd-meal-ideas-when-cooking-your-family.html)

oneoftwo 12-18-2011 04:37 PM

DD meal idea's when cooking for your family?

I was curious if anyone has any DD dinner meals they make that their family also enjoys?

pjsam1156 12-18-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneoftwo (Post 15258241)
I was curious if anyone has any DD dinner meals they make that their family also enjoys?

I don't eat what my fam eats for dinner on DDs. If I cook, I have some soup or a turkey sandwich on light bread and they eat whatever I made. Then I put the dinner leftovers in a plastic container and take them for lunch the next day.:D

oneoftwo 12-18-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15258283)
I don't eat what my fam eats for dinner on DDs. If I cook, I have some soup or a turkey sandwich on light bread and they eat whatever I made. Then I put the dinner leftovers in a plastic container and take them for lunch the next day.:D

Thanks, my husband works nights so we only get to eat as a family 2 nights a week, so for those nights I like everyone to eat together :)

KeirasMom 12-18-2011 05:06 PM

My family is having takeout and I am having a lean cuisine for dinner. We will eat together, just not the same things. My husband does most of the cooking and he'll be starting JUDDD on Tuesday, so we'll start having the same things as well, with added items for our daughter.

SlowSure 12-18-2011 05:35 PM

Seafood/fish curry. I make up a tomato-based curry sauce (no coconut milk/cream) with non-starchy vegetables and cook fish and seafood (eg prawns or shrimp) in it. I will serve myself the curry sauce and vegetables with seafood. Family members will have the curry, a portion of fish, a little of the seafood but they will also have flatbread or rice on the side with some fresh chutneys/raitas.

Chicken and provencal vegetables (roast tomato, red peppers, aubergines, courgettes herbs): the family have a larger portion of chicken and might have focaccia/pasta or baked potato as a side dish.

Fish pie: the body of the pie is a tomato sauce with chunks of white fish/smoked white fish and topped with mashed cauliflower (my portion of the pie & I tend to mark this with a line of finely chopped parsley) or mashed potato for the remainder of the pie.

Karen925 12-18-2011 06:01 PM

I do not serve casseroles anymore. I separate the protein/veggie and carbs. If needs be, I serve the main dish over a carb substitute while family has rice/pasta/bread. Ex. Spaghetti sauce over spaghetti squash for me. Sauce over pasta for them. I have found tasty veggie based foods for all of the carbs. Tasty for me that is. It took time to find them, but it was worth the effort.

Knittering 12-18-2011 06:16 PM

This is a tough one, isn't it?

So far I've been making my husband fatty, protein-heavy salads on my DDs because then I don't have to deal with the smells of food being prepared. He's on a strict low-carb diet so no casseroles or anything like that. For now it's working -- one night we eat the same stuff, the next night I turn the leftovers into something else for him.

DD eats only carbs (*sigh*) and eats much earlier than we do, but this is gonna be more of a challenge when she's older and we all want to eat as a family.

Dottie 12-18-2011 07:22 PM

I cook for them separately on DD's. If it's on the weekends, I just make sure there's enough leftovers or sandwich stuff to let them fend for themselves. Now if I could just get them to wash the dishes...

Speck333 12-18-2011 07:30 PM

Hmm. I've had no problems at all. DH is low carb, too, and I don't make special or extra ("carby") foods for my kids (ages 8 and 6) for dinner. Haven't for several years.
On down days, I make a lean protein for dinner (chicken breast, lean pork chops, ham steak, lean beef roast, or lean tri tip steak) and salad. I eat a small (4 oz) serving of protein and giant romaine lettuce salad and light dressing. The rest of the family has protein and salad, too. Couldn't be easier!

sophiethecat 12-18-2011 07:38 PM

I don't really run into this with MUDDDg, but when I was doing regular JUDDD, I would often have whatever my usual DD food was while they ate a regular dinner.

Or, I would make that a cooking-free night for myself and would have DD food while they had "easy, staple foods" in our home, like frozen pizza & hot wings, cheeseburgers, etc. Because in reality, I didn't always like making a big meal I couldn't take part in, though sometimes I did this, and just put back my portion for the next day.

But, if I were to have the same thing I was fixing for them, one example would be baked salmon steak (Walmart has these in individual portions for 100 calories each), along with some veggie sides and/or salad.

Most often, I would just take small portions of the regular food I made them, no matter what it was. Eaten slowly, I could usually be satisfied like this.

Karen925 12-19-2011 07:16 AM

I would like to add soups made from bones are a weekly meal. Very easy to up calories or carbs for other family members. I do not add starches or creams to my soups. Sometimes a dollop of sour cream if it is taco soup. Beans are left to the side as well.

I have 7 children, a SIL, and 2 grand babies. It is a challenge to eat in a way that is good for all. I do not have time to make everyone a separate meal. Eating in a way to maintain my weight loss can be done, but not without prior thought. Just like when I was losing.

pjsam1156 12-19-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneoftwo (Post 15258293)
Thanks, my husband works nights so we only get to eat as a family 2 nights a week, so for those nights I like everyone to eat together :)

I wasn't clear--like Keirasmom said--we eat together, just not the same things.:)