Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Counting calories when eating out? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/749660-counting-calories-when-eating-out.html)

oneoftwo 12-17-2011 01:35 PM

Counting calories when eating out?

I am curious how other's count calories when eating out? I think this will be one of my biggest issues unless I go to a chain type restaurant where all the calories of meals are listed

Dottie 12-17-2011 01:36 PM

I usually look it up on the net before I go so I at least have a ballpark idea:)

oneoftwo 12-17-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15256285)
I usually look it up on the net before I go so I at least have a ballpark idea:)

But what if you go to someone's house to eat or a restaurant that is not a chain?

Knittering 12-17-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

But what if you go to someone's house to eat or a restaurant that is not a chain?
This is why I figure any days I spend away from home will have to be UDs or MDs. There's just no polite way to interrogate your hostess or insist on chicken broth with slivered veggies only. :)

oneoftwo 12-17-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 15256303)
This is why I figure any days I spend away from home will have to be UDs or MDs. There's just no polite way to interrogate your hostess or insist on chicken broth with slivered veggies only. :)

HA ! Very true.

Of course today is my first UD and we stopped at my husbands new restaurant he works at (he is a exec chef) and had lunch there as a surprise with the kids. No clue what my calorie count is but that has been my only meal today beyond coffee so I think I am safe since my UD is 1,600

Karen925 12-17-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneoftwo (Post 15256286)

Menus are usually posted on line. I would much rather do my figuring at home than at a public venue. It does not take too long to then know what to order and what not. If it is a gala, which I am often a planner, I ask for the menu ahead of time, and figure out the values. Passing up carbs is a good way of trimming calories. Also, knowing what I am eating ahead of time allows me to really enjoy the people I am with more.

Depends on how close the friend is to me as to how much I would explain. For me, while I was losing, that was my goal, and I acted accordingly. I either brought a dish I could enjoy, ate very light rest of day, and/or said, " No thank you." I can up with discreet but effective ways of stopping food being pushed onto me.

We entertain a lot and are often in a public social setting. If I ate everything people fixed, as a courtesy to them, I would be fat again. Not what I care to do.

LouLou 12-17-2011 02:46 PM

I carry the Calorie King book with me! Its very slim and fits in my purse. If I can I look it up online too!

MintQ8 12-17-2011 02:47 PM

I try to get some idea on line based on the type of food they might serve - and then through the rest of the day eat as a little as I can get away with!!

Or make it a MD - I will be looking into the Fast5 too! Just had a quick read on that - seems you have to fast for 19 hours and then you eat in 5 hour windows? Although it seems to say that it doesn't work for the first three weeks?

tiva 12-17-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MintQ8 (Post 15256458)
Or make it a MD - I will be looking into the Fast5 too! Just had a quick read on that - seems you have to fast for 19 hours and then you eat in 5 hour windows? Although it seems to say that it doesn't work for the first three weeks?

Fast-5 worked well for me right from the start. When some people start intermittent fasting, they overcompensate by overeating during the eating windows. If you're careful not to do that, fast-5 will help you lose weight right from the start. It's easy to combine with other WOEs--JUDDD, low carb, whatever (I combine fast-5, LC, and JUDDD).

MintQ8 12-18-2011 05:27 AM

Thanks for the info - good to know!

I think that I intend to follow Fast 5 on Christmas Eve & Boxing Day - basically making my days MD - but only eating in that 5 hour window.

Beeb 12-19-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouLou (Post 15256453)
I carry the Calorie King book with me! Its very slim and fits in my purse. If I can I look it up online too!

Now THIS is an excellent idea!! Thanks, Lou!! I don't always get cell service or my phone is being a witch so I can't use it to look up calories, so this will help a lot!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MintQ8 (Post 15256458)
I try to get some idea on line based on the type of food they might serve - and then through the rest of the day eat as a little as I can get away with!!

:goodpost: and yes the Fast 5 maybe an answer or even the MUDDD WOE here http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-muddding.html as a solution for times like you are asking about, oneoftwo!