Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Article: why intermittent fasting and JUDDD may work well (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/749623-article-why-intermittent-fasting-juddd-may-work-well.html)

tiva 12-17-2011 07:09 AM

Article: why intermittent fasting and JUDDD may work well

Here's a link to an interesting article that suggests some of the reasons that JUDDD may be effective (along with other forms of intermittent fasting): Change your receptors, change your set point*/* Getting Stronger

The author is arguing that hormone and neurotransmitter receptors are critical for controlling your appetite, mood, and health. A person with diabetes has fewer receptors for insulin, and many of those receptors aren't particularly sensitive. A person with depression has fewer receptors for serotonin and dopamine and those receptors aren't working well. Trying to fix these conditions by simply increasing the level of the hormone or neurotransmitter in the blood (ie, giving more serotonin or dopamine or insulin) doesn't work in the long term, because the body responds by decreasing the number of receptors even more. Simple calorie reduction diets also don't work well in the long term, because they too may decrease receptor numbers.

A better long-term strategy is to focus on increasing the number and sensitivity of your receptors. JUDDD, like other forms of intermittent fasting, appears to do that. Intense bouts of exercise, particularly when you're in your fasting stage, do as well.

Dottie 12-17-2011 07:25 AM

Thanks for that! I've always had better workouts on down days, and more energy in general. So I'm not just weird :p ;)

sophiethecat 12-17-2011 08:42 AM

Thanks for posting this, Tiva! So interesting - love this! I haven't finished reading it, so maybe I'll revisit this thread later when I do.

mattsmama 12-17-2011 09:11 AM

What an absolutely fascinating article! Thank you so very much for posting! This explains the calm serenity I now enjoy on my DD's, and in fact, I have had since the very beginning of JUDDD.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.:up:

stardustshadow 12-17-2011 11:13 AM

Very interesting, especially about the receptors!

sophiethecat 12-18-2011 07:27 AM

They mention "Cold Shower Therapy" on the site, and that got me thinking. For some reason lately I've thought about turning down the water colder and colder after my usual hot showers, but I haven't done it yet.

I remember about 10 years ago when DH and I went to visit his brother at the end of October and found that he had no hot water or electric (his roommates moved out and he couldn't pay all the bills)... Anyway, we had to take cold showers (in the dark, with a candle on the sink), and the shock and "pain" of the cold water was horrifying at first. Showers were really fast! :laugh: Strangely, I started to adapt to it before the trip was over. Of course I went back to hot showers when we got home.

Then, about 6 years ago, we went to another country, and where we were staying, the shower was (cold) water collected off the roof. If you wanted hot water, it had to be heated and brought up in buckets. DH and I took cold showers because that was the easiest, and I kind of started to enjoy them... the exhilaration, how good I felt afterward.

That website and others I've found talk about how it's good for mood, mental clarity, immunity, better skin & hair, etc.

I may start turning the water down after hot showers like I have been weirdly wanting to do anyway, and get it colder and colder before I get out. :)

dasiey 12-19-2011 06:31 AM

I don't take cold showers. but I''ve always taken cool showers.
I always thought hot water would dry out my shin.

sazzie 12-19-2011 06:37 AM

Finally had the chance to read this article in full. I definitely do better with my weight training on an empty stomach, contrary to a lot of folks who insist I have carbs before I workout
I do have a protein drink once I'm finished though, and on a DD that's 170 calories.

Thanks for sharing!!

CarolinaCoast 06-04-2013 05:30 PM

Bump

Librarygirl 06-05-2013 04:08 AM

I took a lot of cold showers last week when our a/c was out. :D Felt wonderful and I stayed cool for a couple of hours afterward. :) I enjoy cold showers in the summer when it's super hot outside (and it gets extremely hot here).