Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Fessing up,..and i hope I'm not the only ome...

But lately (like for the past week or so) I been having way more UD then DD I KNOW the holiday season is NO excuse and i also know that i CAN have anything i want food wise ( just have to wait till my UD to do so..) ..

My eating has not been too too terrible, but it certainly has been off track..This week I've had only 2 DD and had 5 UD I also went to 3 parties this week. I did not want to stand out, or stand around only drinking water, while everyone else was partaking in the festivities..So i nibbled on a little of this and that. I did not gorge myself, but certainly went over my DD allotment..

Last Saturday i went to a big xmas gathering. It was a DD for me and i was determined to stay on track. Well, I was kinda miserable and a little embarrassed cause several people asked me "Why i was not eating?" I ended up telling a fib..OK, lie...that i had a tooth ache..I mean it was either that, or explain Juddd and that i was on a DD and so on...I did not think it was the right time or place though

Anyway the host, being as gracious as she was, fixed me a plate of food, including other goodies ,for me to have once i felt better....I should have trashed that plate asap, but no....I ended up eating most of it later on once i arrived home and blowing yet another DD in the making

Tonight is DH's office party and Saturday is the Church's gathering, Sunday afternoon is the hospitals employee's party.. and then next week.... don't ask....I think we have 5 invites not to mention that we are hosting Christmas eve here... and my mother-in-law is having a big tado at her home xmas day...

It is to the point that i either need to just stay home, or actually go and make excuses...

I'm really not trying to be a wimp and i have to (and DO!!) take full responsibility for my actions...Just need to get back in rhythm again...and JUDDD my way into the new year!!

Ask~~~.Believe~~~Receive....

*Look* *Speak* *Act* ...in the direction you want to go, be or do...
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
I'm new to this woe but plz don't be so hard on yourself! The holidays are rough on us all! Just do the best u can on dds if u eat more than u planned tomorrow is another day! This woe is way more forgiving than the others ive tried hugs!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
This is exactly me. I start with my DDs being so good and I feel great. Then something will happen (bad day at work, hormonal) and I start eating like I can't stop.

This has been only going on a week, so I think I can get it under control but I don't want to begin binging behaviors. I can easily see myself going down that road.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes. Me. I do.
For the last week, I have been struggling with my DDs. The day starts out fine - I feel great. But something happens at work or I am hormonal and the day ends with me eating a bunch of crap, making it an UD.

I so don't want this to turn into a binge behavior and I can see myself going down that road.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
This is a really hard time of the year to stick to a strict eating plan. Like it or not, food is a HUGE part of our culture, especially during the holidays. Just hang in there -- it's only a few more weeks and then everything will be back to normal.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsbreeze View Post
Yes. Me. I do.
For the last week, I have been struggling with my DDs. The day starts out fine - I feel great. But something happens at work or I am hormonal and the day ends with me eating a bunch of crap, making it an UD.

I so don't want this to turn into a binge behavior and I can see myself going down that road.
janet,

i hear ya...My fear is that i may become way to comfy with having more UD than DD...I weighed this morning and have, to my amazement, :stars actually ..maintained... I honestly DON'T know how??, because i have eaten all sorts of junk this week...

I fear that this false "positive" may lull me in the wrong direction...and one day real soon, i'll pay the price and wake up to a 5 pound gain!!

I need to and want to LOSE, not maintain...
Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
Same here. I think it all has to do with the time of year. Once the holiday parties, etc are over, we all will be back in the groove.
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGenesFit View Post
Same here. I think it all has to do with the time of year. Once the holiday parties, etc are over, we all will be back in the groove.
Oh I LOVE your "user" name!!, and Thanks, good to know that I'm not alone..
Old 12-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think you are right. Once I am not surrounded by cookies and candy, and stressed out over everything I can get back to normal.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Holidays are tough on any plan!
I think being able to maintain while enjoying your goodies is pretty cool
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
You're doing your best, and like everyone has said - it's a crazy, busy time with tons of food traditions. It's just once a year and will all be over before we know it.

How long have you been doing JUDDD, btw?
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
OK, first off big for you all and don't make yourselves about what is going on. Yes, it's the holidays, and yes we have lots of functions that involve food.

Do what you can, when you can and then when it's all over on Jan 2nd come back and start again.

BUT, here is something to "chew" on. I realized a while ago that food is NOT what the functions I attend are all about. It's about getting together with all those I like/love to be around and having FUN. Once my focus shifted from "going to a party, going to EAT and be merry" to "going to a party to LAUGH/ENJOY my friends/family and be merry" it became a lot easier to just say "No thank you, I'm really not hungry right now". Or to just pick, a little tiny bit here and there to give the "illusion" I was eating like the rest of them, if I so choose to not draw attention to myself.

It's all a mindset and how you look at it. Once you figure out the mindset that works for you, NO food or function will rock you off your foundation!

Now, don't sweat it, enjoy the holidays!!! JUDDD will be here when you get back, always will!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

I been doing Juddd since October. I lost the majority of my weight doing a very strict LC. I re-gained 20 solid pounds over the past year. I went back to strict LC-ing, lost some of those pounds and then found juddd.

What i love about juddd is how good, empty and light i feel on my DD. I also LOVE how my stomach area has flattened out with this woe...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastednuffime View Post
I been doing Juddd since October. I lost the majority of my weight doing a very strict LC. I re-gained 20 solid pounds over the past year. I went back to strict LC-ing, lost some of those pounds and then found juddd.

What i love about juddd is how good, empty and light i feel on my DD. I also LOVE how my stomach area has flattened out with this woe...
You've been on JUDDD about the same time as me Definitely long enough for the benefits to kick in (I call them the fasting benefits, and Dr. J. would reference the SIRT1 gene) If I remember right, he said in the book that the gene remains active for at least 2 weeks if one went off the diet completely (not that I'm advising to go off completely or anything!) But I'm just saying that even with less DD you are getting now, I think the "magic" of JUDDD is still there working for you in the background, helping you not gain a bunch of weight back, and since you are still getting some DD, it will remain active til the holidays are over and you get back on track again.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
You've been on JUDDD about the same time as me Definitely long enough for the benefits to kick in (I call them the fasting benefits, and Dr. J. would reference the SIRT1 gene) If I remember right, he said in the book that the gene remains active for at least 2 weeks if one went off the diet completely (not that I'm advising to go off completely or anything!) But I'm just saying that even with less DD you are getting now, I think the "magic" of JUDDD is still there working for you in the background, helping you not gain a bunch of weight back, and since you are still getting some DD, it will remain active til the holidays are over and you get back on track again.

Sophie,...

THANK YOU!!! for explaining this

Just knowing this makes me not want to ever take that "Magic" for granted

I am so looking forward to the holidays being OVER!!!...as "Grinch-ish" as that sounds
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wallee
I agree, just do the best you possibly can and then after the holidays jump back in with both feet! This is a terrible time of year for all of us struggling with our weight. I have a work dinner tonight and it really should be an UD for me but tomorrow is my MIL's christmas so that HAS to be an UD, more like a FD. I'm doing my best to keep today a MD but even that will be tough, ugh!! Its a process and we've all just gotta do our best, we WILL get through this ok and in January we'll be good to go with some serious JUDDD!!
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I know this wasn't intended for me, but it's a bit of a relief to read it. Good to know that I haven't undone everthing I've been working toward. I've been JUDDDing for about a month now and have really enjoyed my DDs. They were easier that my UDs. I just seem to sabotage myself lately and I need to get a handle on it.

Also glad to know that I am not the only one struggling this time of year! Like Beeb said, so much revolves around food, but does that mean I have to eat everything in sight? NO!
If I maintain through the rest of the month, I will be more than happy. I will have still lost weigh on JUDDD and more so that on Low Carb where I was stalled for months.

Janet's Second Wind
Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karen925
Stats: 192/mid 120's maintaining; 5'8", 49 yrs
WOE: low calorie low carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Oct 2009 low calorie/low carb
The Christmas season involves exposure to many additional food treats,
and handling that without an enormous weight gain is just as difficult for me now, as it has been in all of my previous Christmas seasons.

This quote is from a long time maintainer in another forum who is sustaining a very large weight loss. I agree with her sentiments.

I offer my own experience of starting my weight loss shortly before the mad rush of eating (Oct 6, 2009) which is customary in our culture. For me, I had had enough of being fat. I was not yet obese but was 5# from it. I was tired of trying (doing NoS at the time) and getting no where, or so it seemed. I am so glad I decided to start losing at this crazy time. I think putting off until after the holidays to start managing these difficult situations is wishful thinking. It will not get easier and but rather more difficult because one is then heavier than before. It takes effort to figure out how to manage the holidays to lose pounds, which I did haltingly figure out, as well as to maintain which is very simialr to losing. Avoiding figuring this out does not get better with time.

I have found, and refering back to JUDDD principles, "Writing before Biting" is incredibly powerful. If you do not know, ask ahead of time. If you cannot do that, then do not eat it. Losing the weight and now keeping it off is a tiptop priority in my life. It ranks right up there with my spiritual, financial, and familial areas. Everyone of these other areas involve planning and daily careful thought. My weight management does as well.

The odds of any of us keeping the weight off is 3-5%. That means there is over a 95% chance of relapse. Developing sound strategies for eating challenges is a very important task not to be dismissed. I ask you to think about this time of year as an opportunity for learning and succeeding. Goodness knows, there are eating challenges every month of the year.

As always, you are free to decide your path and I wish you every success. I just wanted to offer another point of view to consider.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I think being able to maintain while enjoying your goodies is pretty cool
That is really cool!
So many people gain while feeling guilty, or maintain while NOT enjoying the goodies...I hope you will all maintain (or even lose a little), enjoy the goodies, and not feel guilty! JUDDD really is the bestest!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Dr. J. ... said in the book that the gene remains active for at least 2 weeks if one went off the diet completely (not that I'm advising to go off completely or anything!) But I'm just saying that even with less DD you are getting now, I think the "magic" of JUDDD is still there working for you in the background, helping you not gain a bunch of weight back, and since you are still getting some DD, it will remain active til the holidays are over and you get back on track again.
Oh, thank you for that reminder!

And, I think if you know you're going to have a dinner or party to go to, but you follow your Down Day plan leading up to it, then you will still get some of the fasting benefits (it could be about 24 hours since your dinner the previous Up Day) and of course you are eating a lot less calories over the whole day. Even if you have one big festive meal planned for several days in a row, you could do a sort of Intermittent Fasting for those days (eat in a window of about 5 hours) instead of eating/snacking all day long; I believe it's supposed to activate the same gene and have similar benefits to JUDDD.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastednuffime View Post
janet,

i hear ya...My fear is that i may become way to comfy with having more UD than DD...I weighed this morning and have, to my amazement, :stars actually ..maintained... I honestly DON'T know how??, because i have eaten all sorts of junk this week...

I fear that this false "positive" may lull me in the wrong direction...and one day real soon, i'll pay the price and wake up to a 5 pound gain!!

I need to and want to LOSE, not maintain...
I think you need to give yourself a bit of a break. Its done and over. You enjoyed the parties and still maintained. Sit back and take that as a win! Make today a good day. Think about your week. Do you have a party to go to this week and then manipulate your days to accomindate your parties. You have done fantastic in the face of parties and cookies ect.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
That is Even if you have one big festive meal planned for several days in a row, you could do a sort of Intermittent Fasting for those days (eat in a window of about 5 hours) instead of eating/snacking all day long; I believe it's supposed to activate the same gene and have similar benefits to JUDDD.
Yes, this is often how I work out those eating events that come one day after another! I mix up the type of fasting (do intermittent fasting, Fast 5, etc. as I put in my signature - "modifications") to still get the benefits, and then when I can, I go right back to the JUDDD (MUDDD for me!) schedule

Last edited by sophiethecat; 12-16-2011 at 09:54 AM..
Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
I was going to suggest looking at Fast 5 - or something like that. Also, just do DDs when you can. It's only a short time - and Kissa used to have a great quote in her siggy - It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that matters - but what you eat between New Year and Christmas!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
but what you eat between New Year and Christmas!!
Oh, I love this!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
I was going to suggest looking at Fast 5 - or something like that. Also, just do DDs when you can. It's only a short time - and Kissa used to have a great quote in her siggy - It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that matters - but what you eat between New Year and Christmas!!
Isn't that true!!!

I also read something a little earlier in the day that said don't use the word TRY, but use the words I WILL and not add try to it. If you keep saying I WILL do such and such (not eat something) often enough you will begin to believe it.

All so easy to say and write, but oh so hard to do.

I am also eating more these days with one event after the other, but I am not gaining so all is well.

Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I am trying this. Fasting, or at least with DD numbers between my big event type meals.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Ok, I am trying this. Fasting, or at least with DD numbers between my big event type meals.
I think I will try something like this as well. I posted somewhere else that we are spending Christmas at Disney World because my DD is down there doing the college program. (she comes home Jan 6 after 5 1/2 months down there!)
Anyway, my husband has made reservations at a restaurant every day--but for only one meal. We have a reservation for dinner on Christmas eve, breakfast on Christmas, lunch the next day, etc. So, I think I'll either save most my cals for whatever the big meal will be that day, or I'll use a Fast-5 type thingy for each reserved meal.
Thanks for all the suggestions--you guys are great!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Oh, I love this!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LouLou
Stats: 170/168/140
Start Date: 11/14/11 restarting 1/2/12
Thanks for this post too! I am little concerned about Christmas. I have always keep the rotation between UD and DD. Next week I have to modify it because Christmas would be a DD. What is the Fast 5 everyone talks about?

I am glad we have such supportive people to help us through all of this. Weight has always been an issue for me and sometimes trying to get it off and keep it off gets old!. This time I will keep it off. Losing focus is what gets me all the time. So my advice is stay focused your goal!

You can do it!
LouLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouLou View Post
What is the Fast 5 everyone talks about?
As far as I know, you just confine your eating to a 5-hour window (2pm-7pm, for example) every day/24-hour period.

I can't explain it further since I haven't tried it myself--
there may be other guidelines I don't know about--
but if you Google "Fast 5 Diet" the official website (and many others) will come up.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Yes, I've done Fast 5 in the past, and there's really nothing more to it than confining your eating to a 5-hour window each day. The hard part is not overeating, like with any other plan.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote