Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Does anyone else weigh weekly? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/749327-does-anyone-else-weigh-weekly.html)

KeirasMom 12-15-2011 05:40 AM

Does anyone else weigh weekly?

I see all these daily weight trackers and envy those of you who are able to do that, but I get entirely too frustrated and obsessive if I weigh every day. :annoyed:

Does anyone else weigh weekly?

I'm on day 4 of JUDDD and haven't weighed yet. I will wait until Monday with Sunday being a DD.

SlowSure 12-15-2011 05:54 AM

I weigh weekly, both self and DH. It works that way for us as we tended to over-react to fluctuations and length stalls were demotivating.

ArmyWife102006 12-15-2011 06:13 AM

I weigh weekly too (usually if it falls after a DD, so this week I weighed on Tuesday and last week I weighed on Monday). Usually if you wait for the beginning of an up day to weigh it works out pretty good, and you also don't have to see all your fluctuations during the week.

handbells 12-15-2011 06:49 AM

I too, weigh once a week. Sometimes twice, but that's very rare.

Knittering 12-15-2011 06:53 AM

I also weigh weekly. I'm far too easily discouraged by ups and downs on the scale to weigh every single day.

Leo41 12-15-2011 07:26 AM

Throughout my weight loss, I've weighed only weekly. On JUDDD, I usually weigh on Saturday mornings, since Friday is always a DD for me.

Not only are daily fluctuations much too depressing for me, they are misleading. It takes 48-72 hours for your body to respond to what you've eaten with a number on the scale, so weighing daily doesn't tell you anything about how specific foods affect you, etc. Weighing daily is frustrating and provides no real useful data, IMO.

Moreoever, in women, water fluctuations are often driven my hormonal shifts (even in someone post-menopausal like me), so a 3-lb gain that is totally hormonal water retention means nothing in terms of my WOE, since it's not something I can control.

Because of this, I not only weigh weekly, but I post my weight on my appointment calendar. This enables me to track trends. For example, on JUDDD, I lost just about a pound a week, but there were two times when I lost nothing for 3 weeks and then 4 lbs in the final week of the month. I was losing that lb a week, but water replacement was keeping the scale from showing it. It's keeping a record that keeps me from 'freaking out' even when weighing only weekly.

KeirasMom 12-15-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 15251036)
Throughout my weight loss, I've weighed only weekly. On JUDDD, I usually weigh on Saturday mornings, since Friday is always a DD for me.

Not only are daily fluctuations much too depressing for me, they are misleading. It takes 48-72 hours for your body to respond to what you've eaten with a number on the scale, so weighing daily doesn't tell you anything about how specific foods affect you, etc. Weighing daily is frustrating and provides no real useful data, IMO.

Moreoever, in women, water fluctuations are often driven my hormonal shifts (even in someone post-menopausal like me), so a 3-lb gain that is totally hormonal water retention means nothing in terms of my WOE, since it's not something I can control.

Because of this, I not only weigh weekly, but I post my weight on my appointment calendar. This enables me to track trends. For example, on JUDDD, I lost just about a pound a week, but there were two times when I lost nothing for 3 weeks and then 4 lbs in the final week of the month. I was losing that lb a week, but water replacement was keeping the scale from showing it. It's keeping a record that keeps me from 'freaking out' even when weighing only weekly.

Thanks Leo. That really makes sense to me. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I was starting to feel like maybe I was the only one who didn't get anything positive out of daily weigh-ins. Whew. It's nice to know there are others. :hugs:

I am, however, quite interested to see what Monday's weigh-in will bring. I'm doing really, really well with my eating, so I hope to see a loss.

betty301 12-15-2011 10:26 AM

I'm going to start weighing weekly for the reasons Leo described.

I never even WAS a daily weigh-er so I don't know why I started, lol.

Meek75 12-15-2011 10:59 AM

Yes. I weightweekly/monthly and prefer it over daily.

pjsam1156 12-15-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 15251036)

Thanks for the info!! I always wondered about how long it took for eating to show up on the scale--that's why I was confused when people would say they didn't understand losing after a UD--which happens to me periodically.:confused:

Tyl 12-15-2011 11:58 PM

i am weighing weekly. my work schedule is just too confusing to my body, so i wait until the weekend to weigh.

LouLou 12-17-2011 03:12 PM

I try to only weigh weekly too! It makes me a little crazy to see the scale all over the place. :stars:

Alcestis 12-17-2011 05:25 PM

I haven't owned a set of scales for years because they make me crazy and obsessive, but I weigh once a month at my doctor's. Next appointment isn't until January 13th....