Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   What Did YOU Do To Get To That JUDDD "Magic"? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/748978-what-did-you-do-get-juddd-magic.html)

Beeb 12-13-2011 08:24 AM

What Did YOU Do To Get To That JUDDD "Magic"?
 
I am starting this thread in hopes to help those who are NOT seeing the "magic" of JUDDD as so many of us have seen. Maybe if we all put our heads together and give examples of what has worked for us it could give others an idea of what they may or may not need to change, or re-arrange with their JUDDD WOE. :hugs:

I NEVER ate above my DD calories. And I ALWAYS ate very close to my UD calories. I think, for me, this is why I had such great success. I didn't feel the need to "cheat", per say, on my DDs because I knew I could have it on my UDs and I just saved that yummy morsel for the next day. This helped to keep me in my calorie range for my DDs and it still does.

These few things helped me so much. What about you? What have YOU done that makes our JUDDD WOE a great success for you? :)

janetsbreeze 12-13-2011 08:40 AM

I will be watching this thread closely. Thanks for starting it Beeb!

betty301 12-13-2011 09:16 AM

I'm one of the people that hasn't found the magic yet, lol.

I faithfully stick to my calorie #s. Everyone has given me great advice/suggestions.
I've gone UP in my cals but I feel I am one of those with a naturally slow metabolism(regardless of my thyroid) and maybe I need LOWer cals. I've gone down 5 lbs in scale weight in 2 months.

I'm not sure.

I could watch carbs and get low-moderate fat instead before lowering cals further to see if that does the trick.

Mommie22boys 12-13-2011 09:20 AM

I just had this A-Ha moment the other day...posting in the daily progress board has helped me identify a pattern. It helped me see that when I eat up to my UD numbers, I truly see better results than when I am a couple hundred shy of my UD calories. I strongly suggest posting in the daily board so you can see what patterns you have that might otherwise go unnoticed. That, and ALWAYS eat up to your calories on those UDs!

dasiey 12-13-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betty301 (Post 15246045)
I'm one of the people that hasn't found the magic yet, lol.

I faithfully stick to my calorie #s. Everyone has given me great advice/suggestions.
I've gone UP in my cals but I feel I am one of those with a naturally slow metabolism(regardless of my thyroid) and maybe I need LOWer cals. I've gone down 5 lbs in scale weight in 2 months.

I'm not sure.

I could watch carbs and get low-moderate fat instead before lowering cals further to see if that does the trick.

Maybe if you pm Leo41 she could help you. I know she deals with thyroid and metabolism. Also look at the thread people that have been juddding for more then a year she has posted there.

betty301 12-13-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasiey (Post 15246076)
Maybe if you pm Leo41 she could help you. I know she deals with thyroid and metabolism. Also look at the thread people that have been juddding for more then a year she has posted there.

Thanks, I have been:):shake:

And she's given wonderful suggestions. WE're a lot alike..

I'm going to lower cals carbs(my roots! lol)

I am more carb sensitive than I care to admit and my metobolism SUCKS, LOL!

A couple years ago, I had to drop BELOW 1,000 cals to lose. But I lost 30lbs in 5 months(with a thyroid problem)

so that could be a clue right there. My caloric levels are also lower than I care to admit to lose weight.
Cause I sure have been MAINTAINing on JUDDD, lol.

betty301 12-13-2011 09:55 AM

actually, I'll lower carbs FIRST before lowering overall Cals..

just so I have something to compare.

pjsam1156 12-13-2011 10:38 AM

What has worked for me so far (10 lbs lost) is tracking all UD and DD cals in my iPhone on ************. I honestly don't think I would be doing this well if I had to write things down, look up the cals later, etc. It is so convenient. Sticking close to those numbers has been good; I haven't had to be exact. And like mommie22boys said--tracking all my numbers in an excel sheet (and/or posting it here) REALLY helps you see how everything works (or doesn't work:hyst:)together.

Low Carb Librarian 12-13-2011 10:58 AM

I don't know if I have truly been touched by the magic yet either... I lost a lot at the beginning that I just could not seem to lose on LC... So I am happy about that. I maybe on a new downward trend. I have been tracking my calories on UD & DD.

I will be looking back to see what all you successful JUDDDers have to say!

vilanteira 12-13-2011 11:10 AM

I didn't start to see the scale move at all until I made sure I was eating under my DD calorie limit and eating all the way up to my UD calorie limit (and sometimes even a little more). I think for me the larger the difference between my DD and UD calories that I can push it, the better I lose. Of course, all of this was only possible when I started keeping track of every single bite I take more diligently.

dasiey 12-13-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betty301 (Post 15246124)
actually, I'll lower carbs FIRST before lowering overall Cals..

just so I have something to compare.

Thats what I did and it worked. I am watching cals. and carbs, and its working.

Dottie 12-13-2011 11:33 AM

Well not exactly magic, but the fact that I can enjoy foods that I would have considered a cheat on my previous plans and still maintain or lose is pretty magical to me:)

betty301 12-13-2011 11:51 AM

I'd really love to believe that I don't have to stay low low LOW carb forever and ever..only while trying to lose.

I've been maintaining/bouncing with some pretty moderate carbs and yummy fattening foods(cheeeeesecake:p:yummy:)

JKat 12-13-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vilanteira (Post 15246297)
I didn't start to see the scale move at all until I made sure I was eating under my DD calorie limit and eating all the way up to my UD calorie limit (and sometimes even a little more). I think for me the larger the difference between my DD and UD calories that I can push it, the better I lose. Of course, all of this was only possible when I started keeping track of every single bite I take more diligently.

May I ask where you started your calories. Did you go by the calculater on JUDDD web site or did u just trial and error it all the way through.

I track on ****** mobile. It really makes it easy because the mobile and web follow each other. I still am trying to have a plan the day before especially for updays which seem to be more of a challenge for me than DD.

ravenrose 12-13-2011 01:03 PM

another approach that might help is to figure out what the people who are successful with JUDDD and those who aren't have in common, as groups. it is probably just as much a metabolic difference in the people as how they work the plan...

how many very obese and long time obese people are successful with JUDDD as opposed to low carb? how many successful JUDDDers used it to take of those pesky last pounds after losing a lot another way? how many diabetics use JUDDD successfully? stuff like that.

handbells 12-13-2011 01:10 PM

I stick as close to my UD calories as possible (it's hard!)
I stick to my DD calories
When I see a loss, I make sure to recalculate my calories

I eat whole foods, edging towards gluten free, and I do not count carbs.

So far, so good!

Knittering 12-13-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

how many very obese and long time obese people are successful with JUDDD as opposed to low carb? how many successful JUDDDers used it to take of those pesky last pounds after losing a lot another way? how many diabetics use JUDDD successfully? stuff like that.
Those are good questions. It seems like most of the people here don't have a lot to lose (especially when compared as a group to the general Atkins followers.)

vilanteira 12-13-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKat (Post 15246474)
May I ask where you started your calories. Did you go by the calculater on JUDDD web site or did u just trial and error it all the way through.

I track on ****** mobile. It really makes it easy because the mobile and web follow each other. I still am trying to have a plan the day before especially for updays which seem to be more of a challenge for me than DD.

I used the JUDDD site calculator from the beginning, but my DD number was 364 calories and even when I decided to just go with the suggested 500, that was still hard for me for the first week or so, so I struggled, mostly because I didn't figure out until later that I need protein and sufficient fat (not veggies or anything too carby), even on a DD.

My UD calories also came from the JUDDD calculator, which gave me 1818. I pretty much never eat below that, and have gone over by a bit or even more from time to time to try to push my limits since I don't want to have to eat less and less when I reach goal. I've found that as long as I lower my DD calories as much as possible (most of the time it's more like 375-475 for me now), and push up my UD calories as much as possible, I continue to lose.

I definitely like to plan ahead the day before for both DDs and UDs. It really helps a lot.

KeirasMom 12-13-2011 03:13 PM

This has me wondering then, if I should go by the UD calories I got on the different calculators. They were all really close to each other right around 2350, and I was thinking I'd stay around 2000 because that number seemed high to me. But you make a valid point Vilanteira. I don't want to have to drop lower and lower where I can't maintain when I lose the weight.

Anybody have suggestions? This is still my first UD so, I'm sorry to be a pest, but I'd really, really like this to work!

Thanks so much.:o

Mommie22boys 12-13-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15246208)
What has worked for me so far (10 lbs lost) is tracking all UD and DD cals in my iPhone on ************. I honestly don't think I would be doing this well if I had to write things down, look up the cals later, etc. It is so convenient. Sticking close to those numbers has been good; I haven't had to be exact. And like mommie22boys said--tracking all my numbers in an excel sheet (and/or posting it here) REALLY helps you see how everything works (or doesn't work:hyst:)together.

:goodpost: Using ************ has been the most WONDERFUL way to keep track of what I'm eating!! I can look things up as I am sitting at a restaurant or standing in line at Subway to decide what I want. Lots of times i'll plug something in and see what it does to my calories before I decide if I want it. Just because most people will eat a whole bagel at once, doesn't mean I have to...once I look it up and see how many calories one of those things packs, i'll just have half (or whatever food you may be contemplating having).

theredhead 12-13-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommie22boys (Post 15246967)
:goodpost: Using ************ has been the most WONDERFUL way to keep track of what I'm eating!! I can look things up as I am sitting at a restaurant or standing in line at Subway to decide what I want. Lots of times i'll plug something in and see what it does to my calories before I decide if I want it. Just because most people will eat a whole bagel at once, doesn't mean I have to...once I look it up and see how many calories one of those things packs, i'll just have half (or whatever food you may be contemplating having).

Tracking calories is really helping me make better decisions, too. I love ************, even if I AM a little obsessive about it, lol.

Beeb 12-13-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15246936)
This has me wondering then, if I should go by the UD calories I got on the different calculators. They were all really close to each other right around 2350, and I was thinking I'd stay around 2000 because that number seemed high to me. But you make a valid point Vilanteira. I don't want to have to drop lower and lower where I can't maintain when I lose the weight.

Anybody have suggestions? This is still my first UD so, I'm sorry to be a pest, but I'd really, really like this to work!

Thanks so much.:o

I would like to suggest you try those 2350 UD calories for a couple of UDs and see what happens. If you don't lose or gain a bit then you know to lower them again, but until you try you will never know if you should be eating more to get things moving along at a better pace or not. ;)

And never a pest, questions are how we all learn so ask away!! :hugs:

handbells 12-13-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 15246577)
another approach that might help is to figure out what the people who are successful with JUDDD and those who aren't have in common, as groups. it is probably just as much a metabolic difference in the people as how they work the plan...

how many very obese and long time obese people are successful with JUDDD as opposed to low carb? how many successful JUDDDers used it to take of those pesky last pounds after losing a lot another way? how many diabetics use JUDDD successfully? stuff like that.

I'm a long time obese person and JUDDD is the only thing that has worked for me so far. I've tried low carb (gained, even with no cheats), weight watchers (lost a pound in a month and then gained it back with more. again, following plan, no cheats), precision nutrition (also caused gain. Was doing that one with DH. He lost weight. I was eating the exact same things as he was, just in smaller amounts), portion control (neither gained, nor lost), fad diets in magazines...

In 5 weeks of JUDDDing, I've lost 8 pounds.

janetsbreeze 12-14-2011 06:18 AM

I just feel better, more in control on JUDDD. My DDs are great and easier with each one.

Kissa 12-15-2011 03:41 PM

I read here, did my best to do what you all suggested and here I am, below goal and maintaining. Easily and happily.

This is a small miracle and I love you all.

MintQ8 12-17-2011 09:33 AM

After my first 2 weeks on JUDDD I was down 11.6lbs. My body was definitely ready to release some weight!! I had just had 3 months of leaving parties!

I have finished another week now - but haven't weighed myself - as I've been travelling. Where I am now is a different set of scales and TOM is due to visit - then it will be Christmas with a mix of UD, MD (the odd DD) some intermittent fasting etc - so doubt I'll weigh myself till the 2nd or 3rd of January!! However, clothes are fitting better!!!

PS - see stats - I'm a big girl!

Oh yes - have stuck under 500 cals on DD (as a general rule!) and have done my utmost to stick to UD cals (sometimes over - and sometimes under - but do worse on those days)

dazygyrl 12-22-2011 06:45 AM

i have yet to see the magic. :confused:

i'm like priatejenny, i think it is....i don't want to be in maintenance just yet, but i don't track cals on UDs. i don't track b/c on DDs i eat very little to nothing...meaning i either eat 300 cals or less OR i fast all day and eat nothing. so i have a pretty wide gap in my cal's from an UD to a DD. i still have not seen any magic as far as LOSING weight.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 AM.