Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Sophie, what do you mean by MUDDD?
It's a variation on JUDDD with a 24 hour schedule. Our pal, Pirate Jenny, started it. You can read all about it here: 24hrUD/24hrDD experiment
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
After my moment of silliness back there I can report that I didn't eat the toast and peanut butter!

Seriously, I think eating carbs was, and is quite a big deal for me. Yes, even a fear.

Today I ate a pasty. This is a strange but wonderful invention from the West of England. But to simplify it I suppose you could call it a savoury pie. It is something I have missed so much over my 10 years of LC eating. But, strangely, it was so not worth the almost 500 calories.

So I won't be doing that again in a hurry. But I have not overcome the fear of Carbs. Possibly even added to it.

LOL a pasty! My mom makes these! No one has heard of them in the US (I have no idea where SHE learned to make them!). She played with the idea of opening a pasty restaurant. I think they are really good now, but I disliked them as a kid!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
LOL a pasty! My mom makes these! No one has heard of them in the US (I have no idea where SHE learned to make them!). She played with the idea of opening a pasty restaurant. I think they are really good now, but I disliked them as a kid!
I had one years ago, but before that I'd never heard of them My friends who brought them for us said they are quite popular in parts of Michigan.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I had one years ago, but before that I'd never heard of them My friends who brought them for us said they are quite popular in parts of Michigan.
Maybe THAT is how she knows about them!! She was born/grew up in Michigan (and later, Wisconsin)!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Isn't the original idea of JUDDD NOT to count cals and all that on an UD?

when did that change??
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Thanks Sophie!
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Sophie, what do you mean by MUDDD?
MUDDD can be found here

kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post

when did that change??
I don't know enough to answer this..but I am curious too!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Quote:

when did that change??
It is, but I think where the confusion comes into play is: Eat until satisfied. You can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat just because you were good the day before or will be the day after. Unfortunately, you can undo your DD with a huge UD. Calories in vs calories out. Same as with exercise. It is not an excuse to eat just because you did that day.
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Something to look forward to, is when you get to maintenance if you don't want to count calories ever again, you can do FD. I don't count calories then and I don't really count them on DD either because by now I pretty much know what/how much to eat, and it's especially easy doing MUDDD. My entire 500 - 700 calories might be eaten at one meal and keep me satisfied before I switch back to FD eating later in the day.

You reminded me, that was one of my biggest fears/dreads about DD too for some time.

There is a natural appetite suppressant that will start after you've been eating this way for a while. I don't have the app. suppression every day - depends on hormones with me and how I've eaten on the FD. But I definitely don't feel the urge to stuff myself on FD. When it's FD time, it's almost like the DD didn't happen, and I'm no hungrier than I would have been on a regular ol' day of eating. I might feel real hungry and ready to eat, but I find I'm not stuffing myself - I still get full at a normal amount of eating, if you see what I mean.

If you can keep this up until weight loss is done, you may find DD easier long before then, or you'll look into other ways to alternate calories and enjoy it. I'm at that point, and am finding maintenance is a breeze. I do FDs, and combined with Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, it's almost like there's no dieting. I can truly work my woe around my life now instead of trying to plan my life (events) around my woe. I can definitely keep the FD and MUDDDg up indefinitely because it's so flexible and easy. So even though you may want to stick with regular JUDDD always, at least know that if you ever find it tiresome, that there are other beneficial fasting options to look into.

I've experienced health benefits from JUDDD - weight loss, reduced inflammation, acne, allergies. I think "stressing" the body with this calorie restriction is actually good for it.

I go up to 700 - 800 if I need it.

700 calories isn't bad. You can gradually lower it - there are tips I picked up from the board and from my own experience on DD that helped me. Things like whether you can skip b'fast easily so you can save calories for later in the day and evening... and including more protein foods if those help you feel fuller for longer.

Do the best you can - that's all you can do. Right now there is so much going on for everyone, but in a couple weeks things should hopefully settle down, and you can focus more on keeping to the plan. But right now LIFE is giving you parties and family and friends and all this stuff going on, so just enjoy it. I mean, do the best you can with JUDDD during this time, but don't let this be another stressor.

Some people do a weekend like you're describing by alternating UDs and MDs... or by fasting as much as they can during the day until the actual event where they'll be eating (making the party their only eating time of the day so as to still get fasting benefits). Make the DDs you do get during the week good ones - at or below your DD calorie limits.

You might find that you came through the holidays without a big gain like someone would have had if they'd just gave up altogether.
Sophie--you are awesome!! what would we all do w/o people like you on these threads?
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
Lol @ the pasty! Was it a greggs cheese n onion one? My ds's eat these all the time!
Haven't had one in years.... but now I can, if the craving strikes!
You ate one, you survived, and it didn't trigger a mad urge to eat more, in fact the opposite!
I think you are doing awesome in conquering your fear of carbs... you WILL get there!

Hugs
Jo
X
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
My DS used to live in Montana where they had pasties. I was told the miners used to take them down in the mines for their lunch. I can't remember if I ever had one or not. I know I meant to! DS really liked them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
Quote:
Well I opened a can of worms there, .

Yes, the Cornish tin miners did take them down the mines and they can be delicious. Mine was just a poor choice.

Fancy them being popular in Michigan, who would have thought it.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #42
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:

when did that change??
This is quoted from Dr J: "So if you are trying to lose weight on the Alternate Day Diet, you should exercise caution and keep an up to the minute food log to remain conscious of what you are eating".

I personally took this as I should pretty much follow the suggested calories that were given to me on the JUDDD site calorie calculator for my UDs I know if I gave myself free reign to eat what I wanted I would have eaten way more than I needed. This in turn would have not helped me to lose weight even if I had restricted my DD calories to the bare minimal.

When someone says "caution" I tend to listen.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I'm scared of gaining weight on JUDDD. I gain 3 lbs on my UD and lose 2.8 lbs on my DD, which means that by the end of each week, after 3 UD and 3 DD, I'm up by 0.6 lbs. This happened each week when I tried JUDDD for a month in the early fall, and it's happening again, even with LC (but not as LC as I usually do).

So now I'll try JUDDD with strict LC, and also with intermittent fasting--eating only within a 5 hour eating window each day.

I just have 2 more lbs to lose, but boy are they being stubborn.

I do between 500 and 600 for DD, and between 1600 and 1700 for UD, with an hour of exercise most days.

Last edited by tiva; 12-14-2011 at 03:23 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
This is quoted from Dr J: "So if you are trying to lose weight on the Alternate Day Diet, you should exercise caution and keep an up to the minute food log to remain conscious of what you are eating".

I personally took this as I should pretty much follow the suggested calories that were given to me on the JUDDD site calorie calculator for my UDs I know if I gave myself free reign to eat what I wanted I would have eaten way more than I needed. This in turn would have not helped me to lose weight even if I had restricted my DD calories to the bare minimal.

^^^^This is me exactly!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
I'm scared of gaining weight on JUDDD. I gain 3 lbs on my UD and lose 2.8 lbs on my DD, which means that by the end of each week, after 3 UD and 3 DD, I'm up by 0.6 lbs. This happened each week when I tried JUDDD for a month in the early fall, and it's happening again, even with LC (but not as LC as I usually do).

So now I'll try JUDDD with strict LC, and also with intermittent fasting--eating only within a 5 hour eating window each day.

I just have 2 more lbs to lose, but boy are they being stubborn.

I do between 500 and 600 for DD, and between 1600 and 1700 for UD, with an hour of exercise most days.
It really seems that people who only have 5 or less lbs to lose have a really hard time on any plan. Keep trying different stuff--hopefully, something will work eventually. I did read on here by a couple of people that they only lose if they stay under the 500 mark on DDs--if you can try that, maybe it will help. Just a thought.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
It really seems that people who only have 5 or less lbs to lose have a really hard time on any plan. Keep trying different stuff--hopefully, something will work eventually. I did read on here by a couple of people that they only lose if they stay under the 500 mark on DDs--if you can try that, maybe it will help. Just a thought.
Thanks! I'll stick to this for the full 2 weeks, and then maybe I'll try PirateJenny's MUDDD, which sounds more a bit workable for me, and less prone to dramatic weight fluctuations.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Thanks! I'll stick to this for the full 2 weeks, and then maybe I'll try PirateJenny's MUDDD, which sounds more a bit workable for me, and less prone to dramatic weight fluctuations.
back tiva and hope you find a JUDDD way that works for you this time!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelena View Post
1) I'm scared it'll stop working, and then I don't know what to do cos I can't seem to stick to anything else

2) I'm scared I'll just stop JUDDD one day. I know the beauty of this it is that you can eat what you want every other day, but I've been thinking lately about it the other way, that it's eating practically nothing every other day. Can I keep this up forever? Will I end up self-sabotaging? I dno.

3) Is this actually bad for my health. I know excess weight is one of the worst things for health, but I'm afraid this diet maybe have a negative aspect compared to traditional 1200cals a day. I'm a medical student so I'm naturally curious about the science behind JUDDD, and I'm not entirely convinced. But like I said, even if there is a negative, it's surely outweighed by the positive of losing the weight.
1 & 2: Sophie beat me to it, but I also thought of the MUDDDing schedule for you when I read this post.

Although many people on this board love JUDDD because they feel they could do it the rest of their lives, I felt somewhat miserable/stressed by the end of my DDs. I also have the problem of waking up once or twice, not being able to go back to sleep for at least an hour, and feeling very hungry. I feel that the MUDDD schedule is much more flexible for me, and that I truly could do it for years or even the rest of my life.

3: Many studies show that short periods of fasting improve health and increase lifespan. The body only kicks into the dreaded "starvation mode" after 48 hours of fasting or inadequate calories. Eating regularly, strange as it sounds, stresses the body! For humans, digestion is a process that requires a lot of time and energy, causing inflammation and an immune response. When we eat less frequently, it seems our bodies turn some of that energy to repairing themselves. And, I don't know if this is "junk science" or not, but I know one of the pro-fasting arguments I used to hear all the time (when I worked at a health food store) was that the body will feed on unhealthy/mutated cells as a source of protein before breaking down muscle.

I would even say that the benefits of this WOE outweigh losing weight! That is, there is a reason to continue doing it once ideal weight has been
achieved.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel7298 View Post
It is, but I think where the confusion comes into play is: Eat until satisfied. You can eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat just because you were good the day before or will be the day after. Unfortunately, you can undo your DD with a huge UD. Calories in vs calories out. Same as with exercise. It is not an excuse to eat just because you did that day.
But what if you are not like that??

I've maintained my weight for years by eating until satisfied, eating healthy foods and NOT tracking cals.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

well to ME, that means to write everything down. When you have to write it down(and possibly share it in public like here, or with a trainer,) you automatically become more mindful.

So where/when did everyone start counting cals on UDs?
I'm not knocking it, just curious. I count cals because it's something new to me and I'll continue doing it cause it's kinda fun.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
But what if you are not like that??

I've maintained my weight for years by eating until satisfied, eating healthy foods and NOT tracking cals.
Betty--for me, it came down to the fact that I was eating way too many cals on my UDs and not knowing I was.
When you think about what your UD and DD cals add up to (in my case 1700/500 = 2200, divided by 2 = 1100), my "each day" cals of 1100 are what I would need to eat per day to lose weight on say, a weight watchers or that type of diet.
So, since (before I started counting) I was eating about 1900-2000 on UDs, if you do the same math, that comes out to about 1250 cals per day, which, because I'm so short, would not allow me to lose--I was only maintaining at that level. I hope this wasn't too confusing.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

yes I understand.

obviously, I've been eating at a level over the last couple years to allow me to maintain.
which is why I am tracking to see what level I have to be at to LOSE!!

Maybe I'll try an experiment when I get back from xmas vaca..and do two weeks of tracking cals/carbs on UD's, two weeks tracking JUST carbs and two weeks not tracking anything on UDs!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
yes I understand.

obviously, I've been eating at a level over the last couple years to allow me to maintain.
which is why I am tracking to see what level I have to be at to LOSE!!

Maybe I'll try an experiment when I get back from xmas vaca..and do two weeks of tracking cals/carbs on UD's, two weeks tracking JUST carbs and two weeks not tracking anything on UDs!
The only way I knew to start w/a "daily total" of 1100 is that is the amount they made me use the last time I was on WW--which was 15 years ago!!
Well good luck on the experiment! You are way more ambitious than I!
My fam and I are going to Disney over Christmas--so the Lord only knows what's going to happen to me! I hope I can maintain--but, I'm not so sure--we eat A LOT at Disney
Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

well since you know ahead of time it will help to plan ahead mentally.

Disney though, HOW FUN!!! it's only a week..worry about it next year!! haha

j/k
Old 12-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #55

Quote:
well to ME, that means to write everything down. When you have to write it down(and possibly share it in public like here, or with a trainer,) you automatically become more mindful.

So where/when did everyone start counting cals on UDs?
I'm not knocking it, just curious. I count cals because it's something new to me and I'll continue doing it cause it's kinda fun.
I have always tracked, from day one. It's what Pat suggested in her many posts when I first looked through the JUDDD threads and figured with her suggesting it might be a good idea to do what she did when she was losing. Now that I've lost and am maintaining I don't track UD cals anymore, BUT I'm still mindful of not eating too much or too many crazy things. I eat until full and JUDDD is the ONLY WOE that helped me to know how to do this. On LC I was NEVER full, and that was a problem since eating LC meant I could pretty much eat as much as I wanted. I ate and ate and ate!! I ate WAY too much and am surprised I lost anything on LC. I just ate and ate waiting for that "I'm full" feeling, which never came until JUDDD!

And Pjsam, just go have the time of your life! JUDDD will be here when you get done and will be right there to get you back on track!!

Last edited by Beeb; 12-15-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have always tracked, from day one. It's what Pat suggested in her many posts when I first looked through the JUDDD threads and figured with her suggesting it might be a good idea to do what she did when she was losing.
I started when Pat suggested it as well, which was after I complained on a thread that I had lost 4 lbs. in the first week and then stalled for 3 weeks! But, I have to admit--there's NO WAY I would be "okay" with keeping track of everything if I couldn't keep track of it all on my iPhone after looking everything up in ************ If I had to write everything down and look it up manually???I don't know anyone lazier than I am!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Quote:
I have always tracked, from day one. It's what Pat suggested in her many posts when I first looked through the JUDDD threads and figured with her suggesting it might be a good idea to do what she did when she was losing. Now that I've lost and am maintaining I don't track UD cals anymore, BUT I'm still mindful of not eating too much or too many crazy things. I eat until full and JUDDD is the ONLY WOE that helped me to know how to do this. On LC I was NEVER full, and that was a problem since eating LC meant I could pretty much eat as much as I wanted. I ate and ate and ate!! I ate WAY too much and am surprised I lost anything on LC. I just ate and ate waiting for that "I'm full" feeling, which never came until JUDDD!
I was the same way. I always felt cheated because I didn't get appetite suppression on low carb. I could eat a side of beef, lol!
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
I also never got that appetite suppression every talked about! It really made me feel like I was always on a diet. I always had to count, watch, not eat too much cheese or diary or whatver. This week has really scared me because I feel a freedom I have not felt.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #59

Bumping this as "food for thought"! I have thought of this thread often when I read someone who is interest in our JUDDD WOE and they state they are afraid to try it.

Maybe this will help those feeling this way and just hanging on the edge, afraid to jump in the JUDDD pool with us!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I am glad you brought this thread back to life. for all my fears are listed in the many many posts.. fear of carbs, fear its just a fluke and will stop working.. to live in fear is no fun.. and i want to live!1 and enjoy food... and not be afraid any more Thanks Beeb..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote