Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I'm Freezing

I freeze on my dd does anyone else experience this?

Of course it is very cold in indiana right now.(16 degrees)

just wondering
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Me too Dasiey! I was so cold yesterday (DD) and I'm never cold. I even had to turn up the heat in my house.

But today (UD) I'm back to normal again.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Me too.
I'm kinda thinking it might be the metabolism slowing down a little--not a great sign for weight loss.

I've been trying to jump on my elliptical for a few minutes whenever I notice this. Even just 5-10 minutes (more if I feel like it, but I avoid getting sweaty since that will just make me cold later) of exercise warms me right up for a couple hours.

However, I have not been able to turn on the heat except for a couple of space heaters, sparingly (no job/barely any money); it's mostly been 48-52 degrees in the house. So...I guess I haven't been that cold, considering!

On the other hand, a couple weeks into JUDDD, I noticed that I got very warm after eating on UDs. I used to get sleepy & cold after eating, so I took this as a sign that the food was being converted to energy. I haven't been as aware of it lately...but that could be due to the weather or something else.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I've actually noticed this on UDs as well as DDs, but after JUDDD kicked in and I finally started losing weight (and inches) I've been feeling much colder way more often than ever. Sometimes at work I'm so cold I could barely type from frozen fingers.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: avecrain
Stats: 240/197/160 (5'10, age 22)
WOE: juddd; DD 500 / UD 2400
Start Date: september 5, 2011
I've noticed that I'm colder whenever I'm at a calorie deficit! I think it's more complicated and slower to turn fat into warmth (particularly for the hands and feet) than turning food into warmth, but that's just a guess in my head based on my experience.
avecrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: raquelena
Stats: HW:210 203/175/130
Start Date: Restarted AGAIN July 2012
I was always cold BEFORE JUDDD so now I'm freezing And because I'm a student I don't have the money for heating... can't wait to go to my parent's warmwarm house for christmas! Oh the bright side though...

Central heating could be making you fat and stop you from burning calories | Mail Online
raquelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
It's the Indiana weather! I absolutely HATE cold weather! I had an UD today and still froze my butt off! At work!

I just love this state.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darlingnikki
Stats: start 225/ now 132.2/ goal 125 ??? Height 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD and HCG (not at the same time)
.....BRRRRRRRrrrrrr...
me too.
darlingnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
How much weight have you lost so far? I was *FREEZING* all last winter after losing 30 (while losing the next 20) pounds. I have heard from others who lose a chunk of weight that they freeze all winter due to lost body fat...not as much insulation!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LouLou
Stats: 170/168/140
Start Date: 11/14/11 restarting 1/2/12
I was freezing on Friday and that was a DD for me! My feet were so cold! I never thought of it being from not eating alot. I actually thought it was because my husband turned the thermostat down! Well I think I must apologize now!
LouLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
How much weight have you lost so far? I was *FREEZING* all last winter after losing 30 (while losing the next 20) pounds. I have heard from others who lose a chunk of weight that they freeze all winter due to lost body fat...not as much insulation!
around 12 pounds.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
I'm definitely cold all the time when no one else around me is! I'm in California, too, thank goodness!
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
around 12 pounds.
Well, depending on how much you have to lose in the 1st place (what % of your body mass you have lost) that could be it!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

LouLou what is that in your userpic??

My daughter says whatever it is, she is in
Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I think the reason is that when we cut our calories, our system sees us as threatened and conserves energy to fuel the core--heart, brain, intestines, etc. Whenever I am on a lowcal diet, I get horribly cold extremities--I think what is great about JUDDD and other cycling diets is that we boost our calories/carbs every other day--and revving the metabolism.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Yep, I'm cold espec. on DDs. Makes me ALMOST miss the hot flashes - lol (which are nearly gone now w/my hormone supplementation).
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

That is our adorable lion head bunny! Her name is Oreo. The girls named her that because of being black and white. She usually stays outside but we bring her to play with her.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

She is just WAY too cute.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
I freeze on my dd does anyone else experience this?

Of course it is very cold in indiana right now.(16 degrees)

just wondering
I am freezing every darn day
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I freeze, too. I have a little electric space heater on wherever I am in the house. We can't afford to heat/cool our whole house anymore, so winter's the worst. I love summer so much more!
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
She is just WAY too cute.

I resisted getting a pet for a long time because you know it always becomes the mom's job!!! I fell in love with this bunny. It sounds crazy even to me! She is a great pet. We had her since she was 6weeks old. She is very calm.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
I always used to run so hot and only cold when it was well below 50, but now I am freezing every day. Wearing piles of clothes and thick socks in California.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #23

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Just started and I needed sweats and two blankets while watching T.V. with the family last night. I'm also in California. It's NOT that cold right now!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
It's pretty cold at present but let's just say that I currently pack 3 hotwater bottles about my body while on the exercise bike (I might put 1 aside when I've done about 20km and have warmed up a little). I take 5 hot water bottles to bed (2 for my feet which alternate between being so cold I have little feeling in them or my toes tingling with the cold): I also wear gloves in bed.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

I bought a heated mattress pad. And then to thick blankets on top
I am now warm all night.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
LOVE my heated mattress pad! Best invention ever! Both my kids requested one as a gift when they moved into their own homes--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
The core body temp is slightly lowered on calorie restriction. Here is an article from medical news today.

People who follow calorie-restricted diets have lower core body temperatures, similar to that observed in long-lived calorie-restricted mice, strengthening the idea that eating less helps people live longer, said researchers from the Washington University School of Medicine, in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, in a paper published in the journal Aging recently.

In simple organisms, long-term calorie restriction can double or even triple lifespan. It's not clear how the practice affects the human lifespan, but those who follow it expect to live past their 100th birthday.

Animal studies have also suggested that reduction of body temperature contributes to increased lifespan in calorie-restricted animals; rodents that consume fewer calories have lower core body temperatures, and live significantly longer than littermates on a standard diet.

However, we know nothing about the long-term effects of calorie restriction on core body temperature in humans, wrote the researchers in their background information.

Following a calorie-restricted lifestyle is not just a matter of cutting calories. It is a disciplined approach where the individual reduces calorie intake to around 75% of what might be considered healthy by more conventional standards, while at the same time keeping careful track of vitamin and nutritient intake order to avoid malnutrition. The most disciplined adherents also track other measures such as BMI and body fat, and plan their meals carefully.

Senior researcher Dr Luigi Fontana, a Research Assistant Professor trained in internal medicine and metabolism, with an interest in nutrition, aging and longevity, and colleagues, compared the core body temperatures of 24 volunteers in their mid-50s who had been following calorie-restricted lifestyles for at least 6 years, with that of 24 age-matched volunteers who ate a Western-style diet, higher in fat and calories.

All the 24 calorie-restricted volunteers were practising members of the CR Society, also known as "CRONies" (short for "Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition").

The researchers also compared the core body temperatures of the calorie-restricted group with that of 24 age-matched endurance athletes, to see if it was just being lean (as both groups were) or also following a calorie-restricted lifestyle, than linked most strongly to lower core temperature.

Fontana, who is also a senior investigator at the Istituto Superiore di Sanitą in Rome, Italy, said they found:

"The people doing calorie restriction had a lower average core body temperature by about 0.2 degrees Celsius, which sounds like a modest reduction but is statistically significant and similar to the reduction we have observed in long-lived, calorie-restricted mice."

"What is interesting about that is endurance athletes, who are the same age and are equally lean, don't have similar reductions in body temperature," he noted.

Core body temperature is the optimum temperature for all the organs in the body to work at their best.

To measure core body temperatures, the researchers asked the participants to swallow telemetric capsules. These then transmitted temperature readings from inside their bodies every minute.

The temperature of the human body is not the same throughout, and internal readings ("core temperatures") tend to be higher than readings taken closer to the skin.

Ideally, core body temperature is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 37.7 degrees Celsius, but this varies from about 96 to nearly 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

The researchers point out that the study does not reveal whether calorie-restriction itself causes core temperature to go down, or whether something else is involved.

However, Fontana says reduced temperature is a key to longer lifespan in animals: research shows that it is "consistently true that those with lower core body temperatures live longer", he explained.

Fontana and colleagues referred to evidence from another unrelated study, the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging, that found men with lower core body temperatures lived significantly longer than men with higher body temperatures. The reason for the lower body temperature was probably genetic, they note.

This strengthens the argument that body temperature predicts longevity in humans too, says Fontana.

However, none of these works shed light on how many more years people with lower core body temperatures might live compared to their warmer counterparts.

For now it appears, based on animal studies, that a lower core body temperature is not enough. Rodents whose core body temperature is consistently kept lower by exposure to cold water live no longer than normal rodents.

Fontana says he thinks how you achieve your lower body temperature could be the key.

He reckons that if you spend most of your life overweight, smoking and drinking, and then take drugs to lower your body temperature, you won't live any longer.

However, he said, if you were to practise "mild calorie restriction", stick to a good diet, do some exercise, and then take the temperature-lowering drug, then you might see an effect similar to that seen in more severe calorie-restriction.

The National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, the Insituto Superiore di Sanita/National Institutes of Health Collaboration, the Longer Life Foundation and the Scott and Annie Appleby Charitable Trust, all donated funds and grants to pay for the research.

"Long-term calorie restriction, but not endurance exercise, lowers core body temperature in humans."
Andreea Soare, Roberto Cangemi, Daniela Omodei, John O. Holloszy, and Luigi Fontana.
Aging, Volume 3 Number 4, April, 2011, pp 374-379.

Additional source: Washington University School of Medicine (press release 10 May 2011).
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Well, FWIW...yesterday I decided to do an "Atkins Fat Fast" as my down day and I noticed I was very, very warm!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Well, FWIW...yesterday I decided to do an "Atkins Fat Fast" as my down day and I noticed I was very, very warm!
INTERESting!

I am wondering if my core body temp is lower on DDs, and by how much, because I already have a much lower than normal body temp!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #30

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm really cold today. I asked the office in general if anyone else is freezing and my boss, who knows of my WOE--as does the rest of my office, says, "Well, if you'd eat more than 12 calories before lunch, maybe you wouldn't be freezing!" I replied, "Jeff, with my coffee, gluc capsules, and broth, I've had 15 calories so far, so I should be nice and warm!"

We all had a good
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote