Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Who has done JUDDD for longer than a year?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/748373-who-has-done-juddd-longer-than-year.html)

KeirasMom 12-07-2011 03:53 PM

Who has done JUDDD for longer than a year??

I'm doing Atkins, and have always had pretty good success, but this time it's going a little slower for me. I'm curious about JUDDD and have read quite a bit about it online, but have not seen any long term success stories.

In short, are there any of you out there who have been doing JUDDD for over a year and are still seeing results or maintaining and happy with the program?

Any input would be much appreciated.
TIA,
Dawn

ouizoid 12-07-2011 06:07 PM

Leo has done JUDDD for a number of years and has lost and maintained a huge amount of weight--She is our big long-term success story--

SoHappy 12-07-2011 06:31 PM

I'm in my second year of JUDDD, having been low carb (mostly) for several years here but unable to lose weight on it. Then lost weight by general calorie counting before losing the rest on JUDDD.

I maintain now fairly easily. I was pretty good about tracking my UD calories as well as my DD calories during much of this past JUDDD experience, but am able to be more relaxed about my UD calories these days... IF... I weigh every single morning to keep tabs on how my weight is doing. Having been FAT once seems to be all it takes for me to be able to regain weight fast if I don't stay on top of it!

These days, if I begin to approach my personal top weight for happy maintenance, I watch my food choices much more carefully on UDs, and if I have the tragedy happen of actually hitting or exceeding my maintenance ceiling, I tighten up on my JUDDD calories severely until I'm back down into low range territory again.

I still keep to low or fairly low DDs though, and that allows me to have more lavish and expansive UDs, which I enjoy.

This is a time of year I still have to be careful, even on JUDDD, because I don't count anything but calories, and I let the carbs fall where they may. And despite it all, I always manage to get in my share of Christmas cookies, etc.

This makes me think maybe I should tighten up on my UDs for a bit and get down a smidge more. (sigh...) Truthfully, I don't think this ever ends. :laugh:

Leo41 12-08-2011 01:33 AM

I have been doing JUDDD for three years this month, maintaining for the past few months. However, I came to JUDDD because of specific medical issues that require me to eat very low calorie, and JUDDD provided a way to do that effectively. I don't believe that JUDDD is for everyone--and it's a particularly bad choice for anyone with a history of ED.

Basically, I'm post-menopausal and hypothyroid--and my endo also believes I have a 'genetically slow metabolism.' Thus when I began low carbing at about 340 lbs, I could only eat about 1400 cal to lose a pound a week. After I'd lost about 80lbs, I stalled for a long time before I realized that my smaller body required even fewer calories.

I had already reduced my intake to 1200 cal, but that wasn't low enough, and via experimentation, I realized that I could not lose unless I stayed at 1,000 cal or slightly below. Trying to do that on a daily basis was too frustrating.

That's when I discovered JUDDD. I lost the remainder of my weight via JUDDD/low carb, keeping my DDs at 430 initially and then lowering them to 350 as I lost more weight (re-calculated). My UDs were 1200-1400.

I remain low carb because I'm extremely carb sensitive--and this is the healthiest WOE for me. It was not 'fast' loss--I lost just about a pound a week, but I was not looking for 'fast'--I wanted success.

I'm finding that maintenance has challenges of its own, and I'm still trying to find a perfect combination of DD/UD for ongoing maintenance.

JKat 12-08-2011 03:11 AM

:jumpjoy: U guys are amazing!!!! I want to be able to get myself back on track and follow through. You both give me inspiration. I keep telling myself I can do it!

priyarh 12-08-2011 05:05 AM

This is a great topic. I have always wondered if anyone has been doing it for years as JUDD seems like a new WOE. Its good to know that people have been doing it for a long time and are havinig good results..

KeirasMom 12-08-2011 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15233590)
I'm in my second year of JUDDD, having been low carb (mostly) for several years here but unable to lose weight on it. Then lost weight by general calorie counting before losing the rest on JUDDD.

I maintain now fairly easily. I was pretty good about tracking my UD calories as well as my DD calories during much of this past JUDDD experience, but am able to be more relaxed about my UD calories these days... IF... I weigh every single morning to keep tabs on how my weight is doing. Having been FAT once seems to be all it takes for me to be able to regain weight fast if I don't stay on top of it!

These days, if I begin to approach my personal top weight for happy maintenance, I watch my food choices much more carefully on UDs, and if I have the tragedy happen of actually hitting or exceeding my maintenance ceiling, I tighten up on my JUDDD calories severely until I'm back down into low range territory again.

I still keep to low or fairly low DDs though, and that allows me to have more lavish and expansive UDs, which I enjoy.

This is a time of year I still have to be careful, even on JUDDD, because I don't count anything but calories, and I let the carbs fall where they may. And despite it all, I always manage to get in my share of Christmas cookies, etc.

This makes me think maybe I should tighten up on my UDs for a bit and get down a smidge more. (sigh...) Truthfully, I don't think this ever ends. :laugh:

SoHappy, you give me hope, lol. I'm glad that you're able to maintain with diligence. And you look fabulous! I'm really thinking about giving this a go on Monday. My husband's on board with starting it as well. :jumpjoy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 15233963)
I have been doing JUDDD for three years this month, maintaining for the past few months. However, I came to JUDDD because of specific medical issues that require me to eat very low calorie, and JUDDD provided a way to do that effectively. I don't believe that JUDDD is for everyone--and it's a particularly bad choice for anyone with a history of ED.

Basically, I'm post-menopausal and hypothyroid--and my endo also believes I have a 'genetically slow metabolism.' Thus when I began low carbing at about 340 lbs, I could only eat about 1400 cal to lose a pound a week. After I'd lost about 80lbs, I stalled for a long time before I realized that my smaller body required even fewer calories.

I had already reduced my intake to 1200 cal, but that wasn't low enough, and via experimentation, I realized that I could not lose unless I stayed at 1,000 cal or slightly below. Trying to do that on a daily basis was too frustrating.

That's when I discovered JUDDD. I lost the remainder of my weight via JUDDD/low carb, keeping my DDs at 430 initially and then lowering them to 350 as I lost more weight (re-calculated). My UDs were 1200-1400.

I remain low carb because I'm extremely carb sensitive--and this is the healthiest WOE for me. It was not 'fast' loss--I lost just about a pound a week, but I was not looking for 'fast'--I wanted success.

I'm finding that maintenance has challenges of its own, and I'm still trying to find a perfect combination of DD/UD for ongoing maintenance.

Wow, Leo, what an inspiration. I can't even imagine how restrictive this is/was for you. Thank you so much for the response. Quick question(s): I have not been able to get the book yet, but have read as much as I can on-line. I'm hoping to get a Kindle for Christmas, so I'd prefer to wait to buy the book so I don't have to buy it twice. :o Can I start with the basic principals, and rely only on calories, or is there much more to it? Do I have to use only shakes and bars in the first 2 weeks, or can I use other foods if I'm diligent about weighing and measuring them? Any advice would be great! I'm amazed and so proud of you for your transformation.

stardustshadow 12-08-2011 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 15233963)

Thank you for sharing your story! This is very interesting to me! You have done an amazing job and lost a lot of weight, and that is incredibly inspiring! I am investigating what people who have had success losing a larger amount have done, since I cannot really compare my own situation to someone who, say, had only 20 or 30 pounds to lose (or less!). I need to know that there is a chance for something to work for someone like me, who has a broken metabolism (diabetic, have always had a weight problem, despite everything). So thank you for sharing!!

shirlc 12-08-2011 06:08 AM

I, too, am really glad to see this thread...I've wondered if there are any long-term success stores. I believe I read that Dr. Johnson, who wrote "The Alternate Day Diet" has maintained since 2003.

I am amazed that in the beginning I didn't think I could do the DDs and now find them so much easier than the UDs!!!

pjsam1156 12-08-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15234148)
Quick question(s): I have not been able to get the book yet, but have read as much as I can on-line. I'm hoping to get a Kindle for Christmas, so I'd prefer to wait to buy the book so I don't have to buy it twice. :o Can I start with the basic principals, and rely only on calories, or is there much more to it? Do I have to use only shakes and bars in the first 2 weeks, or can I use other foods if I'm diligent about weighing and measuring them? Any advice would be great! I'm amazed and so proud of you for your transformation.

:welcome:You only have to rely on calories. That's the beauty of JUDDD:love: Make sure you check out this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...lculators.html It will help you figure out how many cals you should have on UDs and DDs.
You don't have to use shakes and bars the first two weeks. Dr. J recommends that because he wants to make sure people know how many cals they are consuming. You can use "real" food.
Suggestions: Check out some of the threads in this forum--there is a WEALTH of information:D
Use some sort of "tracking" device to track your cals on DDs and UDs. I use ************ on my iPhone, which makes it very convenient to put in anything I eat all day long.
Also check out http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...d-staples.html which has the foods everyone keeps on hand for DDs--VERY helpful.

GOOD LUCK, and GREAT to have you aboard!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

pjsam1156 12-08-2011 07:55 AM

Oh! I forgot!:o Try to read through this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...-scared-2.html
Lots of JUDDDers answer many questions in that thread that may be helpful.
:high5:

KeirasMom 12-08-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15234599)
:welcome:You only have to rely on calories. That's the beauty of JUDDD:love: Make sure you check out this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...lculators.html It will help you figure out how many cals you should have on UDs and DDs.
You don't have to use shakes and bars the first two weeks. Dr. J recommends that because he wants to make sure people know how many cals they are consuming. You can use "real" food.
Suggestions: Check out some of the threads in this forum--there is a WEALTH of information:D
Use some sort of "tracking" device to track your cals on DDs and UDs. I use ************ on my iPhone, which makes it very convenient to put in anything I eat all day long.
Also check out http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...d-staples.html which has the foods everyone keeps on hand for DDs--VERY helpful.

GOOD LUCK, and GREAT to have you aboard!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

Thanks! I've been reading all day, lol. Really looking forward to trying this out.

DD's birthday party is Saturday, so I was thinking about maybe going off plan. I think I may go off LC this weekend, then start with a DD on Monday. I'm quite nervous about the 500 calorie limit. :stars: I suppose I can live on Shirataki noodles and a protein if necessary. :up: All of your DD menus seem so small!

pjsam1156 12-08-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15235817)
Thanks! I've been reading all day, lol. Really looking forward to trying this out.

That's what I did for about a week before I started--I read through tons of these threads--I really learned a lot!:high5:

melissaconatser 12-09-2011 05:25 AM

Quote:

DD's birthday party is Saturday, so I was thinking about maybe going off plan. I think I may go off LC this weekend, then start with a DD on Monday. I'm quite nervous about the 500 calorie limit. :stars: I suppose I can live on Shirataki noodles and a protein if necessary. :up: All of your DD menus seem so small!

I worried about the low calories on DDs for a long time before I decided to give JUDDD a go. I have been on JUDDD since November 13, and I have to say that I almost prefer the down days to the up days. Even though I am a little hungry through the day, I feel better physically and emotionally.

I've never tried the Shirataki noodles, but I can tell you that protein is important for me on DDs. My main DD staples have become laughing cow cheese, steak-ums, chicken broth and the cream of chicken or chicken noodle Lipton Cup of Soup. Surprising enough, if I get very hungry, a hot mug of chicken broth, or even some peppermint tea, is enough to satisfy me for a few hours. Very odd considering I have a huge appetite.

dasiey 12-09-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

After you have been juddding for awhile and you read others dd menus.
You will start thinking you get all that for 500 calories.
Seriously.

MintQ8 12-11-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

I'm quite nervous about the 500 calorie limit. :stars: I suppose I can live on Shirataki noodles and a protein if necessary. :up: All of your DD menus seem so small!

Yesterday, I had a massive meal in the evening:

2 portobello mushrooms stuffed (including a bit of cheese) and a huge pile of mediterranean style vegetables - added to 360. They were shop bought so I know the cal count exactly - but I could have shared that with someone easily (I ate it all because others were eating Pizza & fish & chips) - and added some salad or cooked veggies, like broccoli. Then it would have been about 220 - 240 cals.

KeirasMom 03-05-2012 12:30 PM

Bumping because I've now been JUDDDing for 12 weeks with amazing (for me anyway) results and thought this might help someone just starting to look into JUDDD.

jenericstewart 10-13-2012 07:39 AM

Bumping this because I'd love to see more success stories, especially with those who've lost 75+ pounds or more, which will be my testimony in a year or so. :clap:
I feel like this diet is a well kept secret. This diet really SHOULD scare the CEOs of all the diets-that-cost-money. :hyst:

KeirasMom 10-13-2012 08:55 AM

From this first post, it's been 10 months and I've lost 83 pounds with JUDDD!

You're right, they should run screaming from the testimonials we could provide! :hyst:

calichris 10-13-2012 09:43 AM

Wow! How fun to see this message from the novice-turned-expert Dawn! :) I am three months in and will post here too in July 2013 when it will be one year for me also!

Carly 10-14-2012 02:02 PM

I've been JUDDDing for almost 8 months. I can see this WOE being something that I could continue indefinately.

Kissa 10-15-2012 02:10 AM

It will be a year for me in a weeks time. Wow.

sterlinggirl 10-15-2012 02:43 PM

WOw i just loved to see this thread, its amazing how we were all once that scared newbie:heart: And now look at the sucess Dawn has had, and you other gals as well..:hugs: LOVED this~

SoHappy 10-15-2012 03:03 PM

It is fun to look back and see this, and see how the time has flown, and more people doing JUDDD all the time, with wonderful successes along the way.

I'm starting my third year. Hard to believe.

I mostly maintain these days, adjusting a bit up or down as needed. I have now come to the conclusion that it is always a balancing game. I go through a period where I'm a bit more active, either at the health club or even just doing autumn yard work lately, and I can eat a few more calories, and then I get lazy and cocoon, sitting in front of the computer or with a good book, and I have to bring cals down a little bit.

Just had my annual physical and all my lab work was great, so I can vouch for the health benefits, even for the 'older' gals from this way of weight management.

Still lovin' the JUDDD. :love:

SlowSure 06-20-2013 09:08 AM

Looking at all the successful JUDDD alumnae in this thread is rather moving. Look at you all now. :love: :love:

Goner 06-20-2013 09:43 AM

I love when someone finds an old post, and I realize I "know" these people - They are still posting! Thank you to those of you in maintenance and those of you still losing who have never given up on helping other JUDDD BUDDDS. You are priceless! :heart:

KeirasMom 06-20-2013 09:49 AM

Even with "several" months of maintenance over the last year and a half, I'm down 125 pounds, 115 pounds of that has been with JUDDD. :love:

If this post can help even one person who feels overwhelmed by having a LOT to lose, than I'm more than happy to share my story. I never, ever, in a million years, thought I would find a plan I could stick with and enjoy enough to get me to goal. I've gone beyond my first goal (under 200) and my second goal (175), lowering my goal to 165. When I hit 165, I decided to maintain, and went down to 155-157 in maintenance. I've now decided to go a bit lower, to 145, give or take, and my loss has picked right back up since going back into WLM. JUDDD is the best! :love:

Flutter 06-20-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16479076)
Looking at all the successful JUDDD alumnae in this thread is rather moving. Look at you all now. :love: :love:

:heart: I agree!!! Yay JBs!!!! Incredible stuff!!!!!

Flutter 06-20-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16479150)
Even with "several" months of maintenance over the last year and a half, I'm down 125 pounds, 115 pounds of that has been with JUDDD. :love:

If this post can help even one person who feels overwhelmed by having a LOT to lose, than I'm more than happy to share my story. I never, ever, in a million years, thought I would find a plan I could stick with and enjoy enough to get me to goal. I've gone beyond my first goal (under 200) and my second goal (175), lowering my goal to 165. When I hit 165, I decided to maintain, and went down to 155-157 in maintenance. I've now decided to go a bit lower, to 145, give or take, and my loss has picked right back up since going back into WLM. JUDDD is the best! :love:

You are amazing sweet Dawn!! I am so elated for you!!!! :love::clap:

Doggygirl 06-20-2013 10:15 AM

This is an incredible thread. Thanks to the person who bumped it up!

CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who have reached your goals weights doing JUDDD. I echo the appreciation expressed to you for coming back and posting and supporting all of us :newbie::newbie::newbie:

For most (all?) of us who have ridden the diet roller coaster over the years, I think the FEAR is very real regardless of how many pounds we would like to lose. I am always afraid that my body is different somehow and it just won't work for me. Or that I won't have the "willpower" to do it. Or that cookies will leap off the grocery shelf and sabbotage me. Honestly my brain works like that sometimes LOL!

It is so encouraging to read your posts and have some hope that I can be successful too. Thank you!!!

Beth