Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   But I'm scared! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/748147-but-im-scared.html)

Knittering 12-05-2011 05:50 PM

But I'm scared!

I really want to try JUDDD. I've actually planned to give it a try for three Mondays in a row but I just can't bring myself to do it because I am so freaked out about the calorie restriction of down days. Especially the first down day. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get past this?

Or do I need profession help? :laugh:

Beeb 12-05-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 15227568)
I really want to try JUDDD. I've actually planned to give it a try for three Mondays in a row but I just can't bring myself to do it because I am so freaked out about the calorie restriction of down days. Especially the first down day. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get past this?

Or do I need profession help? :laugh:

I think you need to figure out WHAT you are scared of. DD become easy/peasy and most of us look forward to the simplicity of them. Yes, the first couple of DD are a little rough, but after that the wonderful magic of JUDDDs appetite suppression kicks in and most of us find we just don't feel like eating anyway! UDs are totally different, at least for me, but I'm suppose to eat on UDs and look forward to being able to eat what I want because then I'm hungry, when I'm suppose to be. :up: I also think LC is a lot more scarier! I remember starting LC and thinking "OMG, I can't eat this/that anymore"! It was very frustrating for me in the beginning and it never got much better.

I suggest you read some of the newbie's posts on here, it may help to take some of that "fear" away! ;):up:

LeahGraceG 12-05-2011 06:18 PM

Hi --

I'm a breastfeeding mom who does JUDDD -- not sure if you're BFing, but I believe we were expecting at the same time! :)

I have found that JUDDD is definitely working for me, but I have adjusted my DD calories to add the 500 we are supposed to need for BFing, so I eat more like 1,000 on a DD. OK, on some DDs I am a "wimp" and eat more like 1,300. But at any rate, I have really enjoyed the freedom that JUDDD gives me to eat what I want without worrying constantly about carb counts. I am still careful, mostly because I feel better when I eat fewer carbs, but in general I find it to be a really forgiving plan. I even lost weight over Thanksgiving, when I felt I had eaten WAY too much in general and botched my DDs overall. I've lost 4.2 pounds in the 4 weeks since I started JUDDD-ing, which is far more than I had lost in the previous month of eating whatever I wanted and hoping that BFing would take the pounds off.

So that's my story. Hope it offers some perspective!

piratejenny 12-05-2011 06:51 PM

I was scared, too!!! :hugs:
I was curious about JUDDD for 10-12 months before I decided to try it.

I was "scared" because I don't mind being a little hungry, but I hate feeling weak and shaky...
At 500 calories/day, I was sure I would feel that way;
my parents used to force me to fast when I was pretty young
(started when I was about 8 years old--and it was just for hippie reasons, lol, not religious or anything)
AND IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very turned-off to fasting and severe calorie restriction.

I have a few bullet points on Why JUDDD Is Not Scary,
because I like to tell my friends about it
--not for weight loss but so they can be healthy and cure their arthritis and asthma and stuff--
but I want to do it in such a way that they might actually consider it.

So!
Why JUDDD Is Not Scary

*500 calories is just the induction phase. You won't necessarily be doing that forever, especially if you exercise/are active.
*You don't have to start at 500 calories. A lot of us started at higher calories and worked down.
My first week, I'd say I was at around 50%--not on purpose, but because I'd do okay all day and then get really hungry at night.
*If you "mess up", you can try again tomorrow (or the next day). You're not trying to get into ketosis, so it's not going to take days to get back on track.
*If you want to go out to dinner with some friends or something, you can switch your days around or even occasionally have two UDs in a row (gasp!!!).
*Dieting every day sucks. Dieting every other day is not so bad!
*Many people can tolerate more carbs, desserts, drinks, etc than they could on a "regular" diet.
*If you eat one thing you're not "supposed" to, there's no reason to go off the rails (and try to eat everything you can get your hands on because you already blew your diet today and tomorrow you're going to be "good") because you can have those other things you've been missing on your next Up Day...or in a couple weeks...or whenever! Because you can work just about any food into this plan (if you don't have diabetes or allergies).

And, if you're really scared....
you could try doing what I do, "MUDDD", maybe just as a transition rather than your permanent plan. On my Down Days I have an Up Day dinner, and on my Up Days I have a Down Day dinner, so my "days" are 24 hours rather than calendar days. I can't guarantee it has the full SIRT1 gene benefits of JUDDD, but I find it more flexible and better for managing my blood sugar.

shirlc 12-05-2011 06:52 PM

I really didn't think I could do this because of the restricted DD calories, either. It helped to read the book and gain an understanding of why this is actually healthy for us. Also, I finally got so fed up with making no progress on low carbing that I felt I had to try something different!

Speck333 12-05-2011 07:44 PM

I was scared, too. Like piratejenny, I can deal with hunger pangs, but if I don't eat for a long time, I get light headed, shaky and even panicky. I just found a food formula that worked and have stuck with it (pretty much) for the last 6 weeks. I'm in my 7th week of JUDDD and finally these down days are just a habit now. I also didn't start with 500 calories, that was insane for me to try in my estimation of myself. I started with 600 and that works well as long as I feed myself fairly regularly throughout the afternoon especially.
Give it a try. The worst that can happen is you're too hungry and you eat! :D

hockey_gal 12-05-2011 08:28 PM

I started on 500 calorie DDs but I used the protein shakes like Dr Johnson suggests. I found that a LOT more difficult than eating "real food". I was also scared bc I didn't want to end up on the diet yo-yo. I lost most of my weight on low carb...but I knew I wasn't going to be able to give up carbs for the rest of my life. I do continue to eat lower carb than I ever did before, but I enjoy dark rye bread on my UDs :)

I would suggest just trying it. What do you have to lose? If you eat 700 calories instead of 500, I'm pretty sure you aren't going to gain a bunch of weight ;)

MintQ8 12-06-2011 03:37 AM

I'm a big girl - see stats! And I started with 500 cals on my DD - and as a general rule - I'm actually between 300 and 450 - and I am not getting hungry, weak or tired! Today is the last day of my first 2 weeks. Considering upping my DD cals to 600 per day, as I have quite a lot to lose - although I'm 10lbs down in 2 weeks (3lbs weren't JUDDD).

It's only one day - make sure you have plenty of LCal goodies around! I have found things like the most delicious flame grilled peppers - in a jar - the whole jar is 19 cals - they're great with FF Philly CC & some GG crackers - for a meal that is filling!!!! for around 50-60 cals!! Dinner - I have some shirataki noodles, 100gms of prawns, some arriabiatta sauce (and am full!!!) for around 120 cals. A boiled egg is a great brekkie if you need one - dependent on size around 80 cals - or perhaps egg white omelettes? You can eat very well one you give it some thought on DD - or some people find it easier to just have broths all day.

I like to have a frothy coffee or two for about 145 cals - my indulgence!

good luck!!

stardustshadow 12-06-2011 04:00 AM

I tried JUDDD a little while back (and I may just try it again)...I was also scared of the DD but honestly, it is NOT SO bAD!! It is all about finding the right foods to eat on that day...the protein rich foods kept me full the longest. I found out NOT to eat fruit in the morning, for example...I would be hungry right away. But an egg in the morning kept me full for a long time!

piratejenny 12-06-2011 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15227723)
I was "scared" because I don't mind being a little hungry, but I hate feeling weak and shaky...
At 500 calories/day, I was sure I would feel that way....

I meant to add,
and on JUDDD/MUDDD I don't get that weak, shaky, desperate hunger...
but to be fair, I "overcame" than on low carb, especially LC/high fat.
I have added back some carbs on this WOE, and I was afraid that would bring back the desperate hunger, uncontrollable cravings for bread and candy, etc; but so far, so good. My first two DDs, I did feel a bit weak and scatter-brained. But since then, even when I've gotten really hungry on DDs, I've felt quite good--physically, emotionally, and mentally. And if I don't, I eat something, usually protein. It often only takes 50-100 calories to feel better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck333 (Post 15227843)
Give it a try. The worst that can happen is you're too hungry and you eat! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_gal (Post 15227950)
I would suggest just trying it. What do you have to lose? If you eat 700 calories instead of 500, I'm pretty sure you aren't going to gain a bunch of weight ;)

Excellent points!!! :up:

dasiey 12-06-2011 05:15 AM

Lots of great post here. They will also help me to keep juddding.

But I am doing great on this woe I feel very well and alive
I love it.

Dds I am around 350c but will go up to 500c if I need it, and
sometimes I do.

Uds 1600c but will go up to 1800c if needed. Most the time
I don't need it.

handbells 12-06-2011 05:23 AM

I'm not exactly how I found this particular board, but I am so glad I did! I need(ed) to lose weight and I've tried a lot of other plans, including low carb. I wasn't actively looking for a new plan, just stumbled upon JUDDD.

When I first started (it's been three weeks), I jumped in with both feet! I calculated my calories on the JUDDD site and started with a DD. Crazy, I know! I knew nothing about the 500 calories, just started with what the site gave me (468). I'm not going to lie. That first day was hard. But you know what? I got through it. And it got easier.

PirateJenny makes some excellent points. I would like to add that planning your DD's helps a lot. Try to plan them so you have less than your calorie target so you have some wiggle room :)

you can do it!

melissaconatser 12-06-2011 06:27 AM

I looked at JUDDD off and on for a really long time, but it sounded so complicated and scary. I finally decided to try it, and for me, the DD area actually the easiest part for me. Sure, I get a little hungry sometimes, but it isn't all that bad. I have found that if I eat higher protein items (like laughing cow cheese, turkey, chicken, steak-ums), then I am okay. If I get really hungry, a hot mug of chicken broth or one of the Lipton Cup of Soups does the trick. Hot peppermint tea is also a great one to get me through.

pjsam1156 12-06-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

At 500 calories/day, I was sure I would feel that way;
(started when I was about 8 years old--and it was just for hippie reasons, lol, not religious or anything)
AND IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very turned-off to fasting and severe calorie restriction.

I have a few bullet points on Why JUDDD Is Not Scary,
because I like to tell my friends about it
--not for weight loss but so they can be healthy and cure their arthritis and asthma and stuff--
but I want to do it in such a way that they might actually consider it.

So!
Why JUDDD Is Not Scary

*500 calories is just the induction phase. You won't necessarily be doing that forever, especially if you exercise/are active.
*You don't have to start at 500 calories. A lot of us started at higher calories and worked down.
My first week, I'd say I was at around 50%--not on purpose, but because I'd do okay all day and then get really hungry at night.
*If you "mess up", you can try again tomorrow (or the next day). You're not trying to get into ketosis, so it's not going to take days to get back on track.
*If you want to go out to dinner with some friends or something, you can switch your days around or even occasionally have two UDs in a row (gasp!!!).
*Dieting every day sucks. Dieting every other day is not so bad!
*Many people can tolerate more carbs, desserts, drinks, etc than they could on a "regular" diet.
*If you eat one thing you're not "supposed" to, there's no reason to go off the rails (and try to eat everything you can get your hands on because you already blew your diet today and tomorrow you're going to be "good") because you can have those other things you've been missing on your next Up Day...or in a couple weeks...or whenever! Because you can work just about any food into this plan (if you don't have diabetes or allergies).

And, if you're really scared....
you could try doing what I do, "MUDDD", maybe just as a transition rather than your permanent plan. On my Down Days I have an Up Day dinner, and on my Up Days I have a Down Day dinner, so my "days" are 24 hours rather than calendar days. I can't guarantee it has the full SIRT1 gene benefits of JUDDD, but I find it more flexible and better for managing my blood sugar.

:goodpost:

pjsam1156 12-06-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

So!
Why JUDDD Is Not Scary

*If you eat one thing you're not "supposed" to, there's no reason to go off the rails (and try to eat everything you can get your hands on because you already blew your diet today and tomorrow you're going to be "good")

so, everyone does this??!!:hyst::rofl:

Knittering 12-06-2011 07:59 AM

Wow guys, thanks so much for all the responses. Everyone here is so nice and supportive. :) I've decided to spend some time going through the DD recipes/foods, go shopping, then try my first DD tomorrow. *gulp*

Beeb:
Quote:

but after that the wonderful magic of JUDDDs appetite suppression kicks in and most of us find we just don't feel like eating anyway
I didn't know that JUDDD was an appetite-suppressing diet. I thought only ketosis did that!

Leah!
Quote:

I'm a breastfeeding mom who does JUDDD -- not sure if you're BFing, but I believe we were expecting at the same time!
Yes I remember you from the pregnancy boards. :) Katie just turned four months old and guess what, I'm still 15 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight. :down: I'm still wearing maternity pants, bah. I was hoping someone would know if I should make adjustments for breastfeeding but in my case an extra 500 calories is probably too much. I think I'll try an extra 200 and see how that goes.

In any case, low-carb and breastfeeding has been a terrible combination for me.

Jenny:
Quote:

This is where I'm headed, too! I don't want this to be like low-carb for me when I didn't actually try it for five years after I starting considering it. Sheesh.

Quote:

Same here and I haaaated it.

Quote:

Dieting every day sucks. Dieting every other day is not so bad
That's what I'm thinking.

Speck:
Quote:

I just found a food formula that worked and have stuck with it (pretty much) for the last 6 weeks.
Can you share what that is?

Quote:

The worst that can happen is you're too hungry and you eat!
LOL, so true. :)

Beeb 12-06-2011 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Knittering;I didn't know that JUDDD was an appetite-suppressing diet. I thought only ketosis did that! [/QUOTE]

I actually NEVER got that wonderful appetite suppressing from ketosis and it was only after I started JUDDD that I FINALLY understood what everyone was saying when they were talking about it. On JUDDD I'm just not hungry, and it's amazing to me!! :up:

LC/VLC just made me more hungry and I ate so much more than I now do on JUDDD! Food is NOT a priority anymore and knowing I can eat ANYTHING I want has really helped, too. It's took away that "I can't have and now I want" attitude because I CAN have and now it's just not important! ;)

Knittering 12-06-2011 09:49 AM

Beeb, do you count your calories on up days, too?

LucilleMcgill 12-06-2011 05:34 PM

I am going to start tomorrow too! I am scared but I know it can be done. Wishing you the best!

Knittering 12-06-2011 05:42 PM

Awesome Lucille! Let's concur the fear together! I have plans for broth soups and lots of tea tomorrow. :)

LucilleMcgill 12-06-2011 05:45 PM

That sounds good Michelle. I am thinking of waiting to eat until lunch or a little later. I saved some beef broth from a roast I cooked and I think I'll eat some egg whites too. That's my plan so far :)

sophiethecat 12-06-2011 07:39 PM

:welcome: Knittering! :shake: It might help to set your DD goal as 500 calories but mentally allow yourself to go up to 700 or even 800. It really seems to help if you have that "wiggle room", and you may end up not using it. But if you need it you know it's there. :) And if you're the type who can easily skip breakfast, then it helps to save calories for the end of the day/evening.

Good luck to you and to Lucille! You'll get the hang of this fast! :high5:

Speck333 12-06-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 15228983)

Speck:

Can you share what that is?

Sure thing. Here's my typical down day "formula":
Breakfast is a protein & vitamin powder almond milk shake and coffee. This holds me over from about 8:00 -noon. Then I have a low carb light yogurt cup. Around 2:00 I have a can of Progresso light soup or homemade veggie soup. A couple hours later I'll have another coffee to tied me over until dinner. Dinner is a huge romaine salad with light dressing and 4 oz lean protein. And there ya go! Simple, boring, but I don't have to thing about it and that works for me.

Beeb 12-06-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 15229344)
Beeb, do you count your calories on up days, too?

Not anymore, per say, because I'm in maintenance and can I do a little mental counting in my head most times just to keep myself on track and not over doing my UDs. I just started doing this and it's kind of a test to see if I can keep to the UD calories I know keep me at the weight I am without doing my daily food journal like I ALWAYS do on DDs. DD calorie counting will never stop for me, I just need it to keep on track, but my UDs are FDs now and I'm just eating to hungry. It seems to be working fine!! :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucilleMcgill (Post 15230597)
I am going to start tomorrow too! I am scared but I know it can be done. Wishing you the best!

:welcome: and nice to see you coming on board!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15230838)
It might help to set your DD goal as 500 calories but mentally allow yourself to go up to 700 or even 800. It really seems to help if you have that "wiggle room", and you may end up not using it. But if you need it you know it's there. :) And if you're the type who can easily skip breakfast, then it helps to save calories for the end of the day/evening.

:goodpost: and VERY wise words!! Actually how I started, at 700 but I never made it that high 99% of the time!! I also don't eat until I know I just have to eat something, and most days that's about 1 or 1:30. I then have a little something and save most of my cals for dinner and a little snack afterward. ;)

hopetolose 12-07-2011 02:58 AM

Hello,
I am thinking about trying this again. I tried this the week of Thanksgiving and after for a week and a half and got discouraged because I didn't lose any weight. I was just bouncing up and down. Since I am prediabetic and have to really watch what I eat , think I was eating too many carbs on my UD and the cravings started again. Hope this time I can do better.
Hope

Knittering 12-07-2011 10:28 AM

Thanks for the additional advice!

Quote:

It might help to set your DD goal as 500 calories but mentally allow yourself to go up to 700 or even 800.
I hear you but I do think I need to start my DDs at 700 or 800 calories because I'm breastfeeding a little muncher.

pjsam1156 12-07-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopetolose (Post 15231125)
Hello,
I am thinking about trying this again. I tried this the week of Thanksgiving and after for a week and a half and got discouraged because I didn't lose any weight. I was just bouncing up and down. Since I am prediabetic and have to really watch what I eat , think I was eating too many carbs on my UD and the cravings started again. Hope this time I can do better.
Hope

If it's any help--here's my last week's stats:

30-Nov UD morning 1623 cals 150.6
1-Dec DD morning 618 cals 151.2
2-Dec UD morning 2081 cals 150.2 (pizza for lunch)
3-Dec DD morning 589 cals 151.5
4-Dec UD morning 1755 cals 150.5
5-Dec DD morning 541 cals 151.8
6-Dec UD morning 1812 cals 150.4
7-Dec DD morning ??? cals 148.3:jumpjoy:

notice: my body goes up and down one lb. each day for a week--and then I lose a lb or 2. I must keep track of my UD cals, though, or I eat too much! hang in there!!:D

Beeb 12-07-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 15232426)
Thanks for the additional advice!

I hear you but I do think I need to start my DDs at 700 or 800 calories because I'm breastfeeding a little muncher.

I agree! There is a thread on here where someone is doing this and breastfeeding here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...stfeeding.html and hope this helps
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15232442)
If it's any help--here's my last week's stats:

30-Nov UD morning 1623 cals 150.6
1-Dec DD morning 618 cals 151.2
2-Dec UD morning 2081 cals 150.2 (pizza for lunch)
3-Dec DD morning 589 cals 151.5
4-Dec UD morning 1755 cals 150.5
5-Dec DD morning 541 cals 151.8
6-Dec UD morning 1812 cals 150.4
7-Dec DD morning ??? cals 148.3:jumpjoy:

notice: my body goes up and down one lb. each day for a week--and then I lose a lb or 2. I must keep track of my UD cals, though, or I eat too much! hang in there!!:D

:goodpost: and wise advice!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopetolose (Post 15231125)
Hello,
Hope

:welcome: back if you decide to try again and hope you have better results. I think if you give it a little more time this time it may help, too. ;)

Knittering 12-07-2011 11:15 AM

That's exactly what I was hoping for -- thank you Beeb! :)

hopetolose 12-07-2011 11:20 AM

Thanks for all of the encouragement Everyone. I made it through lunch :) with no problems as yet. My downfall is usually around late afternoon, but am going to try and have something hot to drink about that time.
I think you are right, I probably didn't give it enough time the last time I attempted to do this. I see, pjsam, how your numbers were up and down as well as others have said, so I will try and be patient this time.
Thanks again