Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Thanks for the additional advice!

I hear you but I do think I need to start my DDs at 700 or 800 calories because I'm breastfeeding a little muncher.
Ah, I missed that. Yes, definitely increase your numbers then
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I JUDDD!
This is working for me when Low Carb stalled for months and months. My DD menus are virtually all the same. I discovered Campbell's Soup to Go, which is right at 70 calories, Healthy Choice soups at 110 calories and Fage fat free yougurt - 1 cup is 130 calories. My menu revolves around all three, adding in some fruit or a salad to round my calories up to 500. becuase I know what I am eating ahead of time, my DDs are much easier. I can't imagine doing this without a plan.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsbreeze View Post
I JUDDD!
This is working for me when Low Carb stalled for months and months. My DD menus are virtually all the same. I discovered Campbell's Soup to Go, which is right at 70 calories, Healthy Choice soups at 110 calories and Fage fat free yougurt - 1 cup is 130 calories. My menu revolves around all three, adding in some fruit or a salad to round my calories up to 500. because I know what I am eating ahead of time, my DDs are much easier. I can't imagine doing this without a plan.

DITTO!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LouLou
Stats: 170/168/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 11/14/11 restarting 1/2/12
I to think I wasn't giving the WOE a chance. I haven't lost much but I think I wasn't being as careful as I should have been on my DD. I am hungry some days but its fun (kinda of ) to figure out what and how much you can eat. I am trying to really stick to my 500.

My next question is exercise! Is everyone exercising too?
LouLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsbreeze View Post
I JUDDD!
This is working for me when Low Carb stalled for months and months. My DD menus are virtually all the same. I discovered Campbell's Soup to Go, which is right at 70 calories, Healthy Choice soups at 110 calories and Fage fat free yougurt - 1 cup is 130 calories. My menu revolves around all three, adding in some fruit or a salad to round my calories up to 500. becuase I know what I am eating ahead of time, my DDs are much easier. I can't imagine doing this without a plan.
So true, so true!!

You seem to have your DDs mapped out rather well.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Hey Knittering ! I hope you do try and do Like JUDDD. I'm crazy but I think it's kinda Fun!! Imagine the look on BF's face when I told him I wanted a slice of Pizza Hut Pizza( My favorite) and I didn't follow that up with "but I can't/should" I just said Gimme. When he looked at me sideways, I just said "I'm on an Up day" He rolled his eyes and said nothing, but the understanding came when he offered me some cookies and I said " Nope I'm on a Down Day , but put them in a baggie for me tomorrow"

It's So Freaking Freeing! Haha. Now, the Scary Bit ( or to me the Annoying bits) are when you don't have any plans for down days. I never though I'd find myself buying Low Fat anything, but I have found some things work. Like the lean ham slices. I never thought of them as low fat, but I like them and they are only 75cal.

To take away some of the fear, I did what I did for Low Carb. Made a list of the foods I like to eat, the convenient ones and my favorites,and I just went down the list to see which of what I already like qualified as low cal. Some of my food choice were already low cal and so would be easy to just use that.

For example today: I love LOVE Spicy Kimchi. I have Frozen Shrimp from HCG Rounds. I have Turkey Broth. Spicy Shrimp & Kimchee Soup. I love that and two Huge servings is just under 400Kcal. Alright!

Okay, but beware of the 100 Kcal Snack Pack items. Some are MUCH Better than others. Comparison of three: Special K 100cal Fruit Crisp - tastes like a mini poptart; super sweet, crispy Yummy but really sweet and 1g protein or fiber 2g fat, nice for a sweet tooth IF you are already full; FiberOne 90 Calorie Brownie - Very Yummy, Very Fluffy, Some Fiber 1g protein, 3g fat, ...and no substance, Honestly It tastes really good, but it's mostly air, not very satisfying; Ritz Crackerfuls ( mutigrain cracker with flavored cream cheese filling) 130 Kcal - Hearty, Savory, Crunchy and dense, 5g fiber, 2g protein, 7fg fat but it feels like you've actually eaten something. I tend to pair the Ritz Crackerful with the Slice of Ham for a 205 Calorie meal when I don't feel like cooking.

Don't be afraid cause if the down day is bad, just eat a bit more, if it' bad cause you ATE TOO much more then you get to try again in a day. Don't try to make up for a down day with a second Down Day, Just go to Up and then try a better down.

All sorts of Sugar free Deit products out there, they are yours to try if you want.

I personally like to have My Up days as HIGH FAT, so that I can go a long time before eating on my Following Down Day.

Forgot to mention, my goal with JUDDD is to maintain my weight. I'm not losing but I'm not trying to. I'm gonna let myself enjoy the HOlidays without worrying (much) about diet and such. But I will still try to make my foods lower in carb and sugar if I am able. I can't claim my family will so my JUDDDing will be most useful when I'm visiting family who don't care if they have Huge gains on the Holidays. New Year, We all will be Dieting, but I'll not have the extra weight to get off before I reach virgin territory,Ha!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 12-07-2011 at 02:55 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouLou View Post
I to think I wasn't giving the WOE a chance. I haven't lost much but I think I wasn't being as careful as I should have been on my DD. I am hungry some days but its fun (kinda of ) to figure out what and how much you can eat. I am trying to really stick to my 500.

My next question is exercise! Is everyone exercising too?
LouLou: I didn't lose until I kept strict to my UD cals by tracking them. I try not to go over at all; but I've gone over a bit on DDs and I still lose--eventually. My body seems to hold onto everything for at least a week straight--I don't see any results until after at least 7 days at a time. But, I'm used to that now, so I stopped freaking out.

I only go on the treadmill for 30 min about 3 times a week. too lazy to do anything more
Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Hi metqa! I didn't know you were doing this!

I'm really hoping this works out for me because I LOVE pizza and want to eat it again. At least occasionally. Life doesn't seem worth living if I can never have pizza again (and I don't count that gross cauliflower crust thing. Ugh.) This should help with the holidays, too. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are both going to be UP days for me!

Good idea about making a list of foods that work. I did the same thing yesterday and realized that there are more low-cal foods that I like than I realized.

Those Ritz crackerfuls sound awesome, I'll get some tomorrow!
Quote:
Don't try to make up for a down day with a second Down Day, Just go to Up and then try a better down.
I was wondering about that. Thank you.
So far: 0/10
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
I am starting to marrow. Thank u all for sharing what works for you. Its a great thread and has been very helpful.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hey, Michelle - I asked almost this same question a few weeks ago and these great JUDDD Budds helped me out. When I calculated my DD cals, they were about 300!! I thought no way cld I eat that little. I decided to go up to 500 and seem to be averaging a little over a half pound a week. I also came from LC, and lost the bulk of my weight eating LC. As I near my goal, and maintenance, JUDDD has allowed me to add some beloved carbs back in like oatmeal, tomatoes, cottage cheese, an occasional potato or sweet. I do try to keep my wheat intake down, as I think gluten does a number on me, and I really do feel better eating lower carb. But I've developed, w/the suggestions of so many on this forum, a list of "go to" DD foods that help me thru the day. Now I find the DDs easier than the UDs, and kind of clean feeling. I do find myself eating higher carb on DDs, but still try to incorporate as much protein as I can. Personally, I really like the protein shakes - I drink the Pure Protein (vanilla is my fav) canned shakes, at 120 per can. I drink these in late morning, and in the afternoon, I like a cup of soup - veggie, broth or miso, or sometimes some tuna and a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese on a few rice crackers or soy crisps. Then I usu. have enough cals left over in the evening to have a bit of dinner w/my family. On those nights I try to cook something a bit lower on the calorie side, or something I can modify a bit for myself, like leaving cheese off the protein or leaving out the pasta/rice and upping my veggies. My first couple DDs were hard. I did feel empty and a bit lightheaded, but you CAN eat, so it's not like a true fast. Like someone else said, a 50 or 100 cal snack really gets you over that hump. Good luck and welcome. You'll do great once you get into that groove.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #42

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
It is certainly exciting to read this thread and see that there are several folks gathering up their courage to start following the JUDDD plan of calorie cycling. Good luck to all of you! If you find your correct UD calories, specific and accurate for YOU, and don't exceed them too often or too much, and then stick to 500 calorie DDs, or try to get down that low if you can't eat that low cal at the beginning, I can almost guarantee that you will lose weight! AND, you will be able to enjoy some fabulous foods on your UDs that you have been missing for a long time. LOL It's sure fun!

And the other thing I can almost guarantee is that you will see some of the biggest bounces in scale weight of any eating plan you've ever been on! If you add some carbs back in after having skipped them for the time you've been on low carb, you're almost bound to gain some water weight, but we mostly just say PFFFTTT to that. No biggie! It's the FAT we are wanting to lose, and you can do that on JUDDD while only having to diet every other day. Can't beat that!

Good luck to everyone! Woo Hoo!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #43

Hey So Happy!
Yup Knittering, I'm JUDDDing and it's so fun to me.
Oh What So Happy Said is So True. the scale will bounce up and down, like a rubber ball. That's another reason to do what you quoted me, Don't Double Down Day! Even if you gain on a down day, Don't fret it. Boy I've gained on Down Days something fierce, but it always slides back down, even if slowly.

today I might have actually stayed right at 500 Kcal for once! I hover around 600-900 if I'm not paying attention. My DD are harder than UP because I SuperFat the Updays!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Are there *any* restrictions on your down days or your up days except calories? Like, can you have a glass of wine as long as you count it? or ?

And how do you get the appetite control if you're not low carbing and have ketosis? I'm a bit confused by that. It does sound alot more appealing to get thru the holidays without a gain before starting my next round!
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
There are no restrictions on what you eat as long as you stay within your calorie range each day. The logical exception to that would be that many of us came to lc eating because we have carbs triggered binges. I think it is best to reintroduce carbs very slowly and watch for triggers. When your body is in fasting mode on a DD, a small amount of food should satisfy.

For most people, over time these triggers vanish and the former trigger food becomes just another something tasty.

Research has shown intermittent fasting causes an appetite suppression very similar to ketosis - from the end-user's pov, the results are the same.

In fact, many people who have been on JUDDD awhile report DDs are a breeze, that the hardest part is eating enough calories on UD since they just aren't hungry. (Eating enough calories on UD is critical.)
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
It is certainly exciting to read this thread and see that there are several folks gathering up their courage to start following the JUDDD plan of calorie cycling. Good luck to all of you! If you find your correct UD calories, specific and accurate for YOU, and don't exceed them too often or too much, and then stick to 500 calorie DDs:
So Happy...I have done this before without success. When calculating your UD calories where should I begin. Any suggestions on how to figure this out??
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much for all the great info guys.

I talked to my doctor yesterday afternoon and she gave me the go-ahead for this so long as I keep my DDs at at least 800 calories. I can drop to 500 once the little muncher starts eating solids in addition to breastmilk in a few months.

Of course I don't have a kitchen scale yet so I won't be *really* doing this until the blasted thing arrives. I've been estimating portions based on my years of WW experience but we all know how estimating works when it comes to dieting! LOL.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #48
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Thanks so much for all the great info guys.

I talked to my doctor yesterday afternoon and she gave me the go-ahead for this so long as I keep my DDs at at least 800 calories. I can drop to 500 once the little muncher starts eating solids in addition to breastmilk in a few months.

Of course I don't have a kitchen scale yet so I won't be *really* doing this until the blasted thing arrives. I've been estimating portions based on my years of WW experience but we all know how estimating works when it comes to dieting! LOL.
and so glad to see you here, finally!! I just KNOW you are going to love JUDDD and I also rely on my WW experience from the past to help me and it really does!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
Are there *any* restrictions on your down days or your up days except calories? Like, can you have a glass of wine as long as you count it? or ?

And how do you get the appetite control if you're not low carbing and have ketosis? I'm a bit confused by that. It does sound alot more appealing to get thru the holidays without a gain before starting my next round!
no restrictions on what you eat--I think that most of us have found, though, is that, let's say I have a glass of wine--there's a lot of food you can have for those same 150 cals that would keep your belly fuller than if you have the wine. Otherwise, do whatever works for you!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinjob
Stats: 157/156/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: November 7, 2011 (Did Atkins first in 2001)
I've been JUDDDing for 4 weeks and I have to be honest, I dread my DDs. I starve through them. My DH hates this woe because he hates watching me starve myself and be miserable and deprived on the DDs, but overall ir's working and the UDs make up for those awful DDs. So does being able to eat carbs again. As they say, everyone is different, so I haven't grown to like the DDs like others on this board but I suffer through them for the weight loss because I know that when I hit goal I can bring up my DD cals to maintain and it won't be so bad at all.

Just my very honest two cents. If I can do it, anyone can!
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Skinjob, what are your calories on your DDs?
I got so used to everyone talking about DDs being 500 calories that I completely forgot that's just suggested for induction!!!
Since you're "starving", have you tried recalculating or going up to a slightly higher percentage?
The calculator gives me 476 at 20% and 833 at 35%.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

How many calories do you get for your DDs, Skinjob?
Do you like spicy things? I had a bunch of broth with slivered mushrooms, green onions, bamboo shoots, and ground chili peppers throughout the day. I think the heat of it helped me feel fuller.
--

I just went shopping and bought a bunch of the stuff recommended here, yay. I feel much more prepared for tomorrow's DD than I was yesterday. Sadly I couldn't find oat fiber so that will have to go into my next Netrition order.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

My DDs are somewhere between 500 and 700. I guess after eating up to 3000 cals a day on Atkins, getting used to 500 has been really hard! And yes I do love spicy things! Put hot sauce in my broth a lot!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Does that help you?
I don't blame your husband, watching my partner go hungry every other day would be so upsetting. Do you eat low carb on your DDs?

(And ooh, I see that you're in NYC! It is as amazing as I dream it would be?)
Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
I've been JUDDDing for 4 weeks and I have to be honest, I dread my DDs. I starve through them. My DH hates this woe because he hates watching me starve myself and be miserable and deprived on the DDs, but overall ir's working and the UDs make up for those awful DDs. So does being able to eat carbs again. As they say, everyone is different, so I haven't grown to like the DDs like others on this board but I suffer through them for the weight loss because I know that when I hit goal I can bring up my DD cals to maintain and it won't be so bad at all.

Just my very honest two cents. If I can do it, anyone can!
There might be hope, yet. I'm in week 7 now and finally don't feel like I'm starving on DDs.
I still don't like them much, but I don't suffer through them like I was before.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
There might be hope, yet. I'm in week 7 now and finally don't feel like I'm starving on DDs.
I still don't like them much, but I don't suffer through them like I was before.
That's encouraging. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Does that help you?
I don't blame your husband, watching my partner go hungry every other day would be so upsetting. Do you eat low carb on your DDs?

(And ooh, I see that you're in NYC! It is as amazing as I dream it would be?)
Like anywhere, you take it for granted when you've lived here a long time but I do love it. You should visit sometime.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #58

Wow, I know I sometimes feel a bit hungry on Down Days and I sometimes eat a bit too much but My Good Up days are usually so full of Fat that I feel normal through most of the down days.

Have you considered the composition of your macronutrients on Up Days may not have staying power? I mean, we know fat is more filling, have you tried increasing your fat on Up days to carry you through DD.

Here is a suggestion, try planning for a really high fat meal for your last meal for your Up Day and see how long you can go after waking up the next day before you feel hungry. If it's longer than usual, you may just need more fat to hold you over.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
Hi Skinjob - that must be awful for you.

Can I also ask what are you eating on your DD - I weigh 100+lbs more than you (but will admit to being quite sedentary at the moment, except for shopping) and find that for the most part I can get away with 300 - 450 cals on a DD. I realise everyone is different and has a different metabolism - but if you're not eating satisfying foods on a DD - this could be causing you to feel hungry??

I also second Metqa's suggestion about a fatty meal/high cal at the end of an UD - it makes a difference to me re how easy my DD is.

I know there's lots of advice already - but just trying to think:

B: I tend to have a frothy coffee later in the morning - as I find it better to eat later in the day - and the skimmed milk and luxuriousness of the coffee tide me over for a very long time. But if you need breakfast - a boiled egg lasts forever (70-90 cals). Or some WW Bread (50 cals per slice) with some Low Cal spread (or an egg and a piece of bread - upt to 140 cals)
L: I like to make my lunch up of nibbly food or soup. So for example - GG Crackers (or another Low Cal Cracker) some FF Philly Cream Cheese, celery sticks - etc. Or a home made soup/or low cal bought one. again maybe 150 cals (max)
D: I love shirataki noodles - with some low cal tomato spicy sauce, or as a chinese/asian stir fry. (normal max 120 cals). However you may not like that sort of meal.
Small Steak - 120 Cal
Sweet Potato 2"x5" 103 cals (may be a little higher)
Green Beans (loads) 60 Cals

Total: 573 as a maximum

Sorry if I'm repeating stuff you already know - but I just want to help and try and understand. For example you may be exercising heavily - or be under stress etc!!!

I hope this gets easier for you. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mint, that menu looks great!

Yesterday was the first DD that was completely effortless. I ate well and didn't feel at all deprived and have been JUDDDing for three weeks now.
I know to expect a few hunger pangs but I don't feel ravenous. For me, it really is a mind set. I know that while I might be hungry for that right now, tomorrow I can have it.