Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

JUDDers-what are some low cal and low carb foods?

Water?
Would love to generate a list for myself and other low carbers who cannot eat sugar and carbs due to illness such as candida or fibromyalgia. can you share what one can eat that is low carb and low cal?
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
eggs of course
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
I've put a few things under the DD recipe's only - and suggested you ask here - LOL!! Good luck!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
The low call muffins, veggies, veggies, veggies, eggs, tuna, homemade protein shakes, homemade soups. Those are a few. Definitely check the recipe thread.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #5

500 cals could go quickly.....many of the recipes I checked were higher carb than I could handle.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
I've put a few things under the DD recipe's only - and suggested you ask here - LOL!! Good luck!
Old 12-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
eggs of course
daisy...how long have you been judding? Is it working?
I guess I could eat 3 eggs on a down day LOL
Old 12-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #8

i guess I could make egg drop soup.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working View Post
daisy...how long have you been judding? Is it working?
I guess I could eat 3 eggs on a down day LOL
Not to long I started 11/13 and i'm down 9 pounds.
Eggs are 70c each. so you could have 7 of them

Egg drop soup would be good also broth is low cal.

turkey bacon or sausage is pretty low cal.

I am not eating low carb at this time.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
I love the angel hair shredded cabbage. You can boil it in broth. Or, my favorite on a DD is to put 2 cups (20 calories) in a frying pan with a little bit of water. Cook long enough to soften and add a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese ( 35 calories). Stir around until cheese is evenly melted and distributed. Can eat just like this or add cooked steak-um meat (100 calories). Very low carb and low calorie!!
jandjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I eat egg whites on DDs.
Or maybe 2-3 egg whites + one whole egg.
I hard-boil eggs, eat the whites and save the yolks for UDs.

Mostly I just have broth, veggies, egg whites, and some cold cuts like ham & turkey.
Low-fat cottage cheese, Laughing Cow-type cheese wedges, and 80-calorie string cheese.
Sugar-free chocolates and mini Luna bars (70-80 calories each) for "treats".

Low- or non-fat protein, low-carb veggies, and no-calorie fibers (like psyllium and glucomannan) are the LC "clean food" staples around here.
Then there are many low-carb/low-cal "Frankenfoods" (I use that term affectionately, not judgmentally ) that can be used to round out your menus.

I don't like low-fat/non-fat dairy, mayonnaise, salad dressings etc and I can't afford to buy them or things like "Pam" in addition to the regular foods we eat.
So mostly I keep it really, REALLY simple on DDs; I don't cook up or buy a bunch of low-cal, de-fatted substitutes...I wait and eat the full-calorie things on my UDs!

But that's just me and my financial situation! You may be able to come up with more variety!!!

And remember--500 calories is just the 2-week induction period! You may be able to increase calories and still lose after that.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-04-2011 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: correct word, punctuation
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
DDs are for being inventive and some of us (me ) eat fat free or low fat foods to get more bang for our calories.

I never eat an egg on DDs but will do egg beaters. I use low cal mayo, or mustard, and other condiments that are 0 cal or very low. I tend to eat more veggies (low cal), some lower cal fruits (1 clementine is only 35 calories, for example) and my protein of choice is usually chicken, turkey or fish which tends to all be low cal. I save the full fat, higher calorie things for my UDs when I can enjoy them more.

There are LOTS of great recipes in our DD recipe threads and also online. I google low calorie recipes and look around when I start to get bored of my food choices. Some sites even let you put in the amount of calories you would like to not go above and they will give you ideas and choices for that amount of calories.

Some think this is too much like work, but I find it creative and fun PLUS it's has always been essential for me to look for food choices and to be about to stretch my calories on DDs because I like to eat. AND it helps to let JUDDD work it's "magic"!!

You would be very surprised how much stir fry with lots of veggies you can get for 100 calories.

Also, I give each meal a certain amount of calories and then look for ideas in that calorie range. It keeps me interested, motivated and on track this way so I stay within my calorie range!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
I find it's easiest to do my DDs by having just liquids until late afternoon. This seems to keep my hunger at bay better than actually eating any actual food.

I usually have coffee for breakfast, a half cube of Knorr vegetarian vegetable bouillon for lunch (1carb), and for a snack after lunch (while I'm still at work), I have been enjoying a diet swiss miss hot cocoa (4 carbs, 1 fiber) mixed with a packet of Nescafe peppermint mocha (0 carbs). So, minus whatever I put in my coffee, I'm looking at 4 net carbs up to that point in my day.

The other thing I sometimes do is break my evening meal (dinner) up into a couple of small dinners so I feel like I'm eating a lot. Some LC options might be: salads with maple grove farms fat free Vidalia dressing (5 carbs/2 Tbls), laughing cow light cheese wedge (1 carb) wrapped in thin turkey slices, Boca vegan burger (6 carbs/4 fiber) wrapped in a leaf of green lettuce or half of a Flatout light spinach wrap (7.5 carbs/4.5 fiber), egg beaters scrambled up with some veggies, pork chops, and shrimp are both pretty low in calories (and carbs, obviously), shiratake noodles prepared however you like (4 carbs/2 fiber per pkg), glucomannan pudding made with almond milk (2 carbs/1 fiber per cup)...I don't really focus so much on carbs now, but these are things that come to mind as I look back through my food logs.

I hope this helps! There really are lots of LC options for DDs. And if you hold most of your calories until later in the day, you won't have to scratch your head for uber low cal LC foods. Good luck!!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
There are LOTS of great recipes in our DD recipe threads and also online. I google low calorie recipes and look around when I start to get bored of my food choices. Some sites even let you put in the amount of calories you would like to not go above and they will give you ideas and choices for that amount of calories.

Also, I give each meal a certain amount of calories and then look for ideas in that calorie range. It keeps me interested, motivated and on track this way so I stay within my calorie range!
Beeb, do you know of any sites that let you put in the carb limit?
I think that's the OP's concern more than just low cal.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
No, haven't found one yet but then again I'm not concerned with carbs anymore. Maybe a google search will help.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
...and, of course, water.
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Roasted Seaweed Snack from Trader Joe's. I will say they are an acquired taste! lol! I usually will eat one or two "sheets" here and there on a DD if I'm feeling particularly hungry. A serving size is 1/2 package and there are two servings in a package. I counted them last week, but can I remember how many there are now? Of course not. 40 maybe? Anyhow, 1 serving is 30 cal, 1g carbs.

The Hungry Girl Girlfredo is pretty good too.
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

omg I tried those seaweed things from trader joes. One bite and i gave them to my son in law.they were an insult to my tongue. But he loves them.

I wish i could have liked them very low cal. and low carb
Old 12-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
If you like seafood, shrimp is low calorie. Walmart has salmon steaks individually wrapped and frozen in a bag, and I think each of those are 200 calories.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chona
Start Date: November 8, 2011
Quote:
Water?
Would love to generate a list for myself and other low carbers who cannot eat sugar and carbs due to illness such as candida or fibromyalgia. can you share what one can eat that is low carb and low cal?
I just bought these--PhillySwirl Sweet Delites. I am not lo carb but I think this would be considered somewhat of a locarb sweet treat. 4 carbs and only 14 calories, too.
Sweet Delites // Our Products // PhillySwirl
Chona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie22boys View Post
I find it's easiest to do my DDs by having just liquids until late afternoon. This seems to keep my hunger at bay better than actually eating any actual food.

I usually have coffee for breakfast, a half cube of Knorr vegetarian vegetable bouillon for lunch (1carb), and for a snack after lunch (while I'm still at work), I have been enjoying a diet swiss miss hot cocoa (4 carbs, 1 fiber) mixed with a packet of Nescafe peppermint mocha (0 carbs). So, minus whatever I put in my coffee, I'm looking at 4 net carbs up to that point in my day.

The other thing I sometimes do is break my evening meal (dinner) up into a couple of small dinners so I feel like I'm eating a lot. Some LC options might be: salads with maple grove farms fat free Vidalia dressing (5 carbs/2 Tbls), laughing cow light cheese wedge (1 carb) wrapped in thin turkey slices, Boca vegan burger (6 carbs/4 fiber) wrapped in a leaf of green lettuce or half of a Flatout light spinach wrap (7.5 carbs/4.5 fiber), egg beaters scrambled up with some veggies, pork chops, and shrimp are both pretty low in calories (and carbs, obviously), shiratake noodles prepared however you like (4 carbs/2 fiber per pkg), glucomannan pudding made with almond milk (2 carbs/1 fiber per cup)...I don't really focus so much on carbs now, but these are things that come to mind as I look back through my food logs.

I hope this helps! There really are lots of LC options for DDs. And if you hold most of your calories until later in the day, you won't have to scratch your head for uber low cal LC foods. Good luck!!
thank you...huge help~!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
thank you Yes, that is what I wanted to know.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbells View Post
Roasted Seaweed Snack from Trader Joe's. I will say they are an acquired taste! lol! I usually will eat one or two "sheets" here and there on a DD if I'm feeling particularly hungry. A serving size is 1/2 package and there are two servings in a package. I counted them last week, but can I remember how many there are now? Of course not. 40 maybe? Anyhow, 1 serving is 30 cal, 1g carbs.

The Hungry Girl Girlfredo is pretty good too.
i will check this out I love seaweed!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #24

can i ask those of you who low carb and Judd what I could expect in the next 2 weeks as far as losses?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chona View Post
I just bought these--PhillySwirl Sweet Delites. I am not lo carb but I think this would be considered somewhat of a locarb sweet treat. 4 carbs and only 14 calories, too.
Sweet Delites // Our Products // PhillySwirl
ooooooooooh, those are actually ZERO carb if you subtract the fiber and sugar alcohols!!!!

Quote:
i will check this out I love seaweed!!!
If you have an Asian market near you, nori seaweed snacks are very popular!
In addition to coming in full sheets for sushi rolls, they also come in cracker-sizes of various flavors. I got a huge pack of 400 spicy, shrimp-flavored snacks for about $6!!! IDK about TJ's prices, but that is much much cheaper than what I found at the health food store.

And of course all seaweed is pretty low-cal/low carb, and really nutritious.
I suggest looking for "seaweed salad mix" (dried or frozen) if you really like seaweed! Some of the prepared salads have sesame oil and sweeteners added as a dressing, so I think getting making your own would be a safer bet.

ETA:
Quote:
can i ask those of you who low carb and Judd what I could expect in the next 2 weeks as far as losses?
Not knowing your starting weight or anything, I can't tell you what to "expect"--
but I gained a couple pounds when I first started, then was down 4 lbs after 2 weeks.
I'm a really slow loser, though; other people (much closer to goal) have posted that they lost 4-9lbs in their FIRST week!

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-05-2011 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: ETA
Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=piratejenny;15225933]ooooooooooh, those are actually ZERO carb if you subtract the fiber and sugar alcohols!!!!

Who knew??? Glad to help!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjsmom View Post
I love the angel hair shredded cabbage. You can boil it in broth. Or, my favorite on a DD is to put 2 cups (20 calories) in a frying pan with a little bit of water. Cook long enough to soften and add a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese ( 35 calories). Stir around until cheese is evenly melted and distributed. Can eat just like this or add cooked steak-um meat (100 calories). Very low carb and low calorie!!
I had this for my dinner tonight...2 oz. cabbage, cooked in chicken broth that I drained off and drank, then added LC cheese. It was great!

Thanks.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I lost 4 lbs the first week. Been slow since then, but I feel like I am losing inches for sure. Clothes fit again.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Proteins
Meats, shellfish and poultry are low in carbohydrates, but fattier cuts of meat are high in calories. For example, 3 oz. of rib-eye steak contains almost 200 calories even though it has no carbohydrates. Three oz. of shrimp, however, have just 84 calories and no carbs. Crabmeat is also low in calories, with just 82 calories per 3 oz. and no carbohydrates. Canned tuna, packed in water, and broiled flounder both have 99 calories per 3 oz. with no carbohydrates. Egg whites are another protein source with no carbohydrates and just 16 calories per one large egg.

Vegetables
Watery green vegetables tend to contain the least carbohydrates. Arugula, spinach, romaine and bok choy contain just trace amounts of carbohydrates and only about 5 calories per cup when raw. Radishes contain 4 g of carbs and 19 calories per 1 cup. Cucumbers contain 3 g of carbohydrates and 16 calories per cup. Alfalfa sprouts have just 1 g of carbs and 8 calories per cup. Celery is also a low-carb, low-calorie snack with 3 g of carbs and 16 calories per 1 cup when chopped and raw. Vegetables that are low in carbohydrates (less than 5 grams per 1 cup serving) include leafy greens as lettuce, Brussels sprouts, endive, spinach, arugula, kale and chard. Incorporate cucumbers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers and sauerkraut into your diet as well.

Other Foods
Canned broth is low in calorie and carbohydrates. Chicken broth, for example, averages about 38 calories and 3 g of carbs. Lemon juice provides 3 g of carbs per fluid ounce with only 8 calories. While most fruits contain a significant amount of carbohydrates, three large strawberries, each measuring 1 3/8 inches across, contain 18 calories and just 3 g carbs. Lowcarbfoods.org touts watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, strawberries, blackberries and avocados as the best options, none with more than 7 grams of carbohydrates per 1/2 cup serving.

Egg White Omelets
Egg whites are low in calories and high in protein. They also do not contain carbohydrates. Scramble four egg whites with baby spinach, mushrooms and 1 oz. of Swiss cheese for about 200 calories and just 3.5 g of carbohydrates. Add a ˝ cup of raspberries to add just 30 calories and 7 g of carbohydrates. Other low-carb additions to egg whites are salsa with a slice of avocado, smoked salmon and cream cheese or diced tomatoes and feta cheese.

Ham and Cheese and Tuna Salad
Avoid spending the money and navigating restaurant menus by preparing a low-carb, low-calorie lunch at home. Make pinwheels by rolling 3 oz. of deli ham and 1 oz. of cheese in large romaine leaves and slicing for just about 200 calories and 2 g of carbs. Include an orange for just another 11 g of carbs and 60 calories. Use endive leaves to scoop up a salad made by stirring together 3 oz. water-packed tuna with 1 tbsp. of capers, lemon juice, chopped celery and 1 tbsp. of non-fat yogurt for about 5 g of carbs and 180 calories.

A Protein with Veggies
Low-carb, low-calorie dinners do not have to include a lot of preparation. Usually 3 to 4 oz. of a grilled or broiled lean protein alongside watery, fibrous vegetables will come in under 300 calories and 10 g of carbs. Purchase a rotisserie chicken and eat the breast alongside a salad made with a bag of pre-washed greens, a ˝ oz. of blue cheese and light balsamic dressing for a dinner of 250 calories and about 4 g of carbs. Bake 4 oz. of wild salmon in a 400-degree oven until cooked through and enjoy with eight asparagus spears for 250 calories and just 5 g of carbs.

It's not about PERFECT. It's about EFFORT. And when you implement that effort into your life...EVERY SINGLE DAY, that's where transformation happens. That's how change occurs. KEEP GOING. Remember why you STARTED.

I have not smoked a cigarette in over 1400 days!
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel7298 View Post
Proteins
Meats, shellfish and poultry are low in carbohydrates, but fattier cuts of meat are high in calories..... Bake 4 oz. of wild salmon in a 400-degree oven until cooked through and enjoy with eight asparagus spears for 250 calories and just 5 g of carbs.
Thanks, kel.