Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,910
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Something I don't understand about JUDDD maintenance...

The calculator on the JUDDD website says your DDs are 50-60% of your UD calories. But if UDs are maintenance calories, wouldn't that still leave you with a significant deficit, and make you continue to lose weight?

Or are UD calories higher than maintenance calories, so that it evens out over 2 days?



For example, if your maintenance calories are 2000/day,
then would you be eating 2000/1000?
or 3000/1000?

I'm a LONG way off from maintenance...but this part just doesn't make sense to me!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,708
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Oh, that's a good question. I've been maintaining within my 2lb window by eating up to my maximum maint calories on Up days and about half that on my down days. ( cause I'm a Down Day Wimp)

So that for me is around 1800 for UP day
and 50% would be 900 for down day. I've not lost any more weight, so Wow, even though I'm in a deficit. But I think my food choices have some effect cause I'm eating a lot more carbs, even though I'm eating 60% fat half of the time.(UD)

You are right, it doesn't really make sense cause I'm at an average 1350kalories. I think eating plan must have something to do with it but that's just my ignorant opinion at the moment.
__________________
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
julietcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 4,221
Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
I posed that exact question about 3 weeks ago. I think we decided that you should find your maintenance calories and then up your UD calories so the UD and DD average out to your maintenance calories (or up both numbers so they average out). Basically the maintenance #s on the JUDDD site don't make sense because if you eat maintenance calories on up days, then restrict calories on DD, you would continue to lose weight!

I think my maintenance numbers might only be about 1400 so I would do 700 and 2100, for instance, or 2200 and 600. I stopped counting my up days so I'm not really sure.
__________________
Julie
44 years old
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,910
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Thanks for the answers!
I was sure it had been asked before but didn't know where to find it!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 710
Gallery: sherrymyra
So I'm not the only one confused. lol. I am wondering the exact same thing.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
julietcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 4,221
Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
When I put my height, age, and weight in the JUDDD calculator I get 1466 and 880 which averages 1173. This is at 60%, the last, most lenient one I can pick. I think I would continue to lose at that average.

Other calorie calculator sites say my maintenance calories would be anywhere between 1377 and 1488 average per day. I always put little or no exercise because I don't do cardio or anything right now.

So I think the JUDDD calculator is inaccurate when you are at goal.

I'm doing my own maintenance thing right now where I keep my DD to 600 and eat whatever I want on UD without counting (free days). I'm guessing I'll rarely eat over 2200 calories so my average will still be 1400 or less.
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I have had this problem and actually eat more calories now on both UDs and DDs to keep from losing weight then I was eating when I was losing.

I don't know why but eating below 700 (my DD cals when I was losing) and below 1625 (my UD cals when I was losing) make me continue to lose weight.

I am eating up to 800 but never below 700 on DDs now and I'm not counting on UDs anymore, just eating what I feel I would need to eat to get in about 1,800 calories that seems to help keep my weight at 134/135.

So far it's working well.
__________________

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 710
Gallery: sherrymyra
With the JUDDD calculator it says 1478 normal and at 25% then is 370. Averaging that out it would be 924 per day. So that is kind of where I have been aiming to lose. UP 1478 and DD 370 or so.

Now I looked at this other calculator which said I need 1345 to maintain weight and 845 to lose 1 pound per week.

So I get 1478 normal (from JUDDD site) and the 1345 needed to maintain weight (from other site). That is a difference of 133 calories.

It seems that the JUDDD calculations may be more correct for me at this point. I can't imagine eating only 845 calories per day if I were on a diet with a calorie reduction each day.

Does this sound logical?
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymyra View Post
With the JUDDD calculator it says 1478 normal and at 25% then is 370. Averaging that out it would be 924 per day. So that is kind of where I have been aiming to lose. UP 1478 and DD 370 or so.

Now I looked at this other calculator which said I need 1345 to maintain weight and 845 to lose 1 pound per week.

So I get 1478 normal (from JUDDD site) and the 1345 needed to maintain weight (from other site). That is a difference of 133 calories.

It seems that the JUDDD calculations may be more correct for me at this point. I can't imagine eating only 845 calories per day if I were on a diet with a calorie reduction each day.

Does this sound logical?
Yes, you are thinking right here. I used the JUDDD calculator with no problem and lost fine on the numbers it gave me. BUT, I also use a DD calorie between 40% and 45% to start with because I knew that eating 500 cals or less would be setting me up for failure before I even gave JUDDD a chance. As the DDs went on I actually did eat at 500 and below, but it was nice to have that added "cushion" just in case.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:41 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyrone Georgia U.S.A.
Posts: 1,223
Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Could it be that Dr. Johnson ment it like this. Say you start out at 300 lbs with a
UD calorie count of 2400 and a DD of 600 calories. Then 100lbs lighter and at maintience
if you ate 2400 on a UD and 800 on a DD wouldn't that be an average of 1600 calories
which should be about right for you maintaining your new 200lb body. So you would
then be eating more than maintence on your UD. Or now that I have lost 40 lbs am I
suposed to run the calcultor again for new UD and DD calorie goals? At least in one
old study that Dr. J talks about where they were not trying to lose weight just look
at the health effects of this WOE. The subjects who usualy ate 1600 cal. a day ate
2300 on a UD and 900 on a DD.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
melissaconatser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: KY
Posts: 121
Gallery: melissaconatser
WOE: Giving JUDDD a try!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
Could it be that Dr. Johnson ment it like this. Say you start out at 300 lbs with a
UD calorie count of 2400 and a DD of 600 calories. Then 100lbs lighter and at maintience
if you ate 2400 on a UD and 800 on a DD wouldn't that be an average of 1600 calories
which should be about right for you maintaining your new 200lb body. So you would
then be eating more than maintence on your UD. Or now that I have lost 40 lbs am I
suposed to run the calcultor again for new UD and DD calorie goals? At least in one
old study that Dr. J talks about where they were not trying to lose weight just look
at the health effects of this WOE. The subjects who usualy ate 1600 cal. a day ate
2300 on a UD and 900 on a DD.
I am no where near maintenance, but I have wondered about this as well. Right now, my target calories average 1250 per day. I have always heard that going below 1200 is dangerous and can lower your metabolism. I need to go back to the calculator, because I can't remember if I used my current weight or my goal weight to get my numbers. I just worry that is if I am at 1250 per day now and lose weight that I will have to lower my numbers further to lose more or maintain, which would put me below 1200 per day. I want to heal my metabolism and have it speed up, so would I want to gradually increase my calories now, while trying to lose, so that my body adjusts to having more calories? I'm kind of confused, but then, I have never really understood all the caloric needs, BMR and all that.
melissaconatser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
dazygyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,920
Gallery: dazygyrl
i use the livestrong site (my daily plate) when i track on DD's. i plugged in my goal weight and it gives me a maintenance calorie intake of 1850/day (so over 2 days that would be 3700 calories). when i get to maintenance, i intend to drop that to about 3400 over 2 days, so my UD/DD will be 1200, DD; 2200, UD (but won't really count on UD, they will be FDs; will monitor DDs more closely though).

i'm not quite at goal yet, so my UD's are less....i still don't count, but am just being mindful of portions.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyrone Georgia U.S.A.
Posts: 1,223
Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I don't hear anyone here talk about inches lost ect. The reason I bring that up is
I believe some of the studies done on us humans using this WOE indicate that the
weight lost on this WOE is almost 100% fat. Most people actualy gained a pound
or 2 of muscle mass. This is unheard of to gain some muscle just by eating less every
other day sounds like science fiction! But a DD looks almost like a fast to the body
and fasting boost your growth hormone and one thing it does is help build muscle mass.
Which all has me thinking if you lost 20lbs on this WOE the inches lost might be more
than if you did it some other way.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
melissaconatser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: KY
Posts: 121
Gallery: melissaconatser
WOE: Giving JUDDD a try!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
i use the livestrong site (my daily plate) when i track on DD's. i plugged in my goal weight and it gives me a maintenance calorie intake of 1850/day (so over 2 days that would be 3700 calories). when i get to maintenance, i intend to drop that to about 3400 over 2 days, so my UD/DD will be 1200, DD; 2200, UD (but won't really count on UD, they will be FDs; will monitor DDs more closely though).

i'm not quite at goal yet, so my UD's are less....i still don't count, but am just being mindful of portions.
I checked my daily plate (a several other sites), and my maintenance calories at goal are similar to yours.

My question is, what are your target calories while losing?

And, how are you doing with not counting? I have to count on DD, but I have a hard time tracking on UD, just because some things I eat are homemade, with no specific recipe, so hard to come up with an exact calorie count.
melissaconatser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
dazygyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,920
Gallery: dazygyrl
i do count on DDs.

i'm doing ok without counting. probably slower than it could be, but i start too feel too obcessive and too focused on food, when my GOAL is to not HAVE to be focused on food, ya know? so i compromise and only count on DDs. i keep DDs to 400 or so.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
mattsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny SoFla
Posts: 608
Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
I don't hear anyone here talk about inches lost ect. The reason I bring that up is
I believe some of the studies done on us humans using this WOE indicate that the
weight lost on this WOE is almost 100% fat. Most people actualy gained a pound
or 2 of muscle mass. This is unheard of to gain some muscle just by eating less every
other day sounds like science fiction! But a DD looks almost like a fast to the body
and fasting boost your growth hormone and one thing it does is help build muscle mass.
Which all has me thinking if you lost 20lbs on this WOE the inches lost might be more
than if you did it some other way.
You are absolutely right!! I have lost 5 inches just from my thighs (1 each), hips (1) and waist (2). (I just started on JUDDD 11/13/11.) I know for a fact that my bodyfat has gone down, because my scale measures it, and although I have one of the old ones that only measures from the waist down, it is really moving down! (And I only take the measurement of the body parts I listed. They are my big problem areas ) I am not an avid exerciser, and have been less so lately.
All this is bodyfat I could NOT get to leave on low carb, and I never "cheated".
__________________
Lisa


When everything feels like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top....


Goal Weight achieved 02/25/2012 on JUDDD- and still losing!
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sazzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,422
Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Interesting thread with a lot of good questions which brings up some important points.
As I am releasing my fat, my main concern is the two day daily average being so low. Don't want my body to get used to this.

I agree that if we were to eat 1250 or whatever calories for our daily consumption, that wouldn't be high enough. That would average to 1100 calories for the UD/DD days.

If we were able to increase that maintenance number as we go along, then that wold be a reasonable goal until we get to the point of a decent maintenance level. Mine would be approximately 1400-1500 calories. Certainly doable.

I, like others want to increase our metabolisms, so this is an ongoing journey that I plan to stay for the duration.

Am I misinterpreting something? Maybe someone could set me straight here?!
__________________
Gracie




Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.