Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Struggling on DD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/747550-struggling-dd.html)

Idreamofweightloss 12-01-2011 03:15 PM

Struggling on DD
 
I need some ideas because I am really struggling on my DD. I have looked through the recipes thread and theres a few I think I would like but what I really need are just basic and easy things.

FremenChick 12-01-2011 03:19 PM

What helps me is packing in as much nutrition as possible.

My go-to is liver. Liver is a great source of lots of nutrients most people lack in their diets anyway, and they are pretty low cal, being mostly protein. For some reason eating a little liver with my a meal is more satiating.

Idreamofweightloss 12-01-2011 03:27 PM

I should mention that I am trying to do lc with JUDDD since when I do eat carbs it causes major cravings for me.

Dottie 12-01-2011 03:29 PM

Veggies, big salads w/low-cal dressing are a good way to go. I keep celery and carrot sticks on hand as well as broths for something warm.

ouizoid 12-01-2011 03:34 PM

I just made a huge asian salad: lettuce, cabbage, shredded carrots, green onions, mushrooms, peppers and cukes--I recently discovered Walden Farms asian dressing--boy is it good!

for lunch I had a bowl full of roasted brussel sprouts--fill up on veggies-

oneoftwo 12-01-2011 03:34 PM

Maybe stick with you usual hcg menu stuff on DD's ??

oneoftwo 12-01-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

I recently discovered Walden Farms asian dressing--boy is it good!
I will have to try that one, I tried their ranch and hated it !

sophiethecat 12-01-2011 03:35 PM

I found that eating as much protein as I could really helped.

Do you like shrimp cocktail? That's a filling, low-cal, high protein option.

Another thing is make an omelet with the egg substitute and whatever veggies you like, such as mushrooms, onions, green pepper, seasonings, etc. You could add some Steak-Umms to it, or some turkey bacon for even more protein.

And something else that was protein-filled and good for me was Great Value Salisbury Steak and Mac & Cheese dinner. I had to add salt to it, but eaten slowly, I thought this was quite satisfying and filling.

pjsam1156 12-01-2011 03:45 PM

veggie omelets or laughing cow cheese on wasa crisp 'n light crackers (only 20 cals each)

SoHappy 12-01-2011 03:57 PM

easy and cheap: a big egg white scramble.

Weigh out 1 oz of chopped onion, 1 oz chopped green pepper, and 1 oz sliced fresh mushrooms and cook them until tender in a bit of water on your stovetop, in a non-stick pan... then add a spritz of spray oil and stir in 4 egg whites.

Scrambled egg white omelette, for only 100 calories.

Make five times during the day, whenever you're hungry, for only 500 calories.

It's low carb and filling. Vary the low-carb veggies a bit if you want.

And you can save the egg yolks for your UDs, using them in custards or lemon curd, adding a couple into your UD breakfast eggs, etc.

onceNforall 12-01-2011 03:59 PM

I find Egg Beater omelets with mushrooms and spinach very filling....also love HB eggs. If I'm gonna be out and about in the car I take an EAS low carb shake (110 cal) with me and sip it ....also keeps me satisfied for quite a while.

piratejenny 12-01-2011 05:09 PM

For me, for some reason, eating a big salad doesn't help me feel full.
I find warm food and cooked veggies to be more satisfying.

I mostly do chicken broth with different veggies--
you can eat a LOT of cauliflower or spinach for 50-100 calories!
I like to grate veggies like zucchini, chayote, carrots, etc
because the texture, when cooked, is very satisfying and somewhat noodle-like.
ETA: dissolving a teaspoon of glucomannan (or, for a few calories, some unflavored gelatin)
into my soups/broth seems to make them more filling.

Egg whites are another major food group on DDs.
I haven't cooked liver, ever!, in my entire life, but I have dessicated liver pills and I try to take 4 with any meal that is low in protein.
I feel pretty good when I remember to do this!

I also like to get about 8 thin slices of lean ham or turkey cold cuts (60-80 cal) and one cheese stick (80 cal), split lengthwise. I stack 2 slices of meat (optional: in a lettuce leaf),
put a little mustard and a piece of cheese in the middle, and roll them up. Eaten with a few baby carrots and/or celery sticks, this is a nice meal!

Avoiding caffeine, dairy, and wheat products on my DDs seems to help minimize hunger and cravings.
Plus, I don't like low/non-fat dairy and I tend to eat my wheat products with butter, mayo, or cheese, so I'd rather just save them for UDs!

Idreamofweightloss 12-01-2011 05:17 PM

Great tips yall. I think on my next DD I will try the egg white omlet. I am already done eating for today.

itsmeshelly01 12-02-2011 06:03 PM

If you haven't gotten oat fiber out psyllium guys you should get some. The best ting I have found to really keep me fill is the pumpkin muffin. Also homemade protein shake with protein powder and psyllium is very filling and zucchini. I love snacking on zucchini. And then big salads for dinner with canned shrimp. Walgreen gas geisha canned baby shrimp. A can is 100 calories. That on to of spinach, romaine, mushrooms and low cal dressing is very yummy.

kris4chloe 12-03-2011 09:38 AM

my DD go to's are veggies (i have a big stash of frozen veggies such as green beans, squash blends, broccoli). i cook them, then stir fry them quick with spray olive oil and seasoning (usually a little garlic too)

broth based soups. love the progresso french onion soup. whole can is only 100 calories

or i sip just chicken broth or diet swiss miss (cant do coffee black)

oatmeal is another good one

also lean protein, such as chicken breast and egg whites are good. i hardly ever do any carbs etc. i just can't justify spending money on alot of the specialty stuff because it will go bad before i get to use it, such as the low calorie bread etc. i try to eat more whole foods.

leonak 12-03-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 15220679)
If you haven't gotten oat fiber out psyllium guys you should get some. The best ting I have found to really keep me fill is the pumpkin muffin. Also homemade protein shake with protein powder and psyllium is very filling and zucchini. I love snacking on zucchini. And then big salads for dinner with canned shrimp. Walgreen gas geisha canned baby shrimp. A can is 100 calories. That on to of spinach, romaine, mushrooms and low cal dressing is very yummy.

If you haven't gotten oat fiber out psyllium guys you should get some. What is this you are talking about? also where do i buy this?

Thanks

piratejenny 12-03-2011 03:11 PM

I think shelly meant oat fiber or psyllium. :)

both available on Netrition
(oat fiber is a special product, different from oat bran, and not really available in stores)

psyllium is more widely available, found in any grocery store or pharmacy.
Metamucil is made from psyllium.

leonak 12-03-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15222436)
I think shelly meant oat fiber or psyllium. :)

both available on Netrition
(oat fiber is a special product, different from oat bran, and not really available in stores)

psyllium is more widely available, found in any grocery store or pharmacy.
Metamucil is made from psyllium.

Thanks for the info, thought I better ask as I need all the help I can get for h visiting "the smallest room in the house":dunno::cry::dunno::stars::p:laugh::high5::c ry:

I just bought Metamucil and it was expensive, are the store brands just as good?

piratejenny 12-03-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonak (Post 15222712)
I just bought Metamucil and it was expensive, are the store brands just as good?

Yeah, it's a pretty basic product, like salt or sugar...i don't think there could possibly be much difference between brands!
If you haven't opened it yet, and the price difference was significant, perhaps you could exchange it to save some money.

Some of the Metamucil is flavored, though...did you get the unflavored?

leonak 12-04-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15222763)
Yeah, it's a pretty basic product, like salt or sugar...i don't think there could possibly be much difference between brands!
If you haven't opened it yet, and the price difference was significant, perhaps you could exchange it to save some money.

Some of the Metamucil is flavored, though...did you get the unflavored?


I got a small container, 6.1 oz it is sugar free and orange. It does "help" me, cost was $4.97 at Wal-Mart. I did see cheaper brands but thought I would try the smallest container first and this was it. I am rather mixed up about this because the container says 30 doses and the directions say a serving is one rounded tsp. There is a whole lot more then 30 tsp in it - I am correct in that tsp stands for teaspoon or :dunno:

piratejenny 12-04-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonak (Post 15223463)
I got a small container, 6.1 oz it is sugar free and orange. It does "help" me, cost was $4.97 at Wal-Mart. I did see cheaper brands but thought I would try the smallest container first and this was it. I am rather mixed up about this because the container says 30 doses and the directions say a serving is one rounded tsp. There is a whole lot more then 30 tsp in it - I am correct in that tsp stands for teaspoon or :dunno:


Yes, a tsp is a teaspoon...but a "rounded" teaspoon could be closer to 1.5 teaspoons.

For a lot of the Down Day recipes on these threads, people are probably using plain, unflavored psyllium. I'm sure the orange psyllium would taste fine in certain flavors of protein shakes and muffins, but the unflavored will be more versatile.

sophiethecat 12-04-2011 10:48 AM

So you guys are cooking with Metamucil? :) I may have to get some of the unflavored kind and try adding it to things. :high5:

mainemom 12-04-2011 11:44 AM

One of my favorite DD meals is 8 Soy Crisps (50 cals) spread w/a wedge of Laughing Cow lite cheese (35 cals) and a cup of either lite progresso veg soup (cals vary, but usu about 50 or 60 for a cup) or a cup of miso soup (40 cals). Very satisfying.

mainemom 12-04-2011 11:47 AM

Also, since I hate cooking 2 meals, I try to plan the meals I cook for the family on my DDs more on the LC side, or something I can adapt/subtract cals from. Like baked chicken breasts in pasta sauce - I just don't put the cheese on top of my portion. Or a grillled salmon night. Conversely, I'll sometimes make a highly carby meal that my family has been craving - like spaghetti and meatballs w/garlic bread, and I'm happy w/a whole sliced tomato and cottage cheese.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 PM.