Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12
Help/ advice please

Ok this is my second attempt at Judd and I need some advice please. I did very well yest on my DD but today on my UD my old habits of binging/purging surfaced again. Atkins is the only way I have found to kill the beast (ED) I have struggled with for years and years! I'm feeling pretty lousy and very confused right now I know a lot of the women on this message board have suffered from Ed and wanted some advice on what to do really. Should I go back to lc? Should I keep moving fw with Judd and see what happens? Errrr
I liked the idea of Judd for now especially to be able to eat all the holiday goodies but I could go back to lc and allow one day of indulgences this month. It works for me it's just kinda boring. Anyone?? Thanks in advance
laceymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceymichelle View Post
Ok this is my second attempt at Judd and I need some advice please. I did very well yest on my DD but today on my UD my old habits of binging/purging surfaced again. Atkins is the only way I have found to kill the beast (ED) I have struggled with for years and years! I'm feeling pretty lousy and very confused right now I know a lot of the women on this message board have suffered from Ed and wanted some advice on what to do really. Should I go back to lc? Should I keep moving fw with Judd and see what happens? Errrr
I liked the idea of Judd for now especially to be able to eat all the holiday goodies but I could go back to lc and allow one day of indulgences this month. It works for me it's just kinda boring. Anyone?? Thanks in advance

I know those with a history of disordered eating will be in here to offer their suggestions, but I do think it might be helpful if you would post here exactly how you are eating/what you are eating that you think might be bringing on this impulse and compulsion.

For instance, what calories are you eating on your Down Days, and are you having any trouble sticking to your number? And do you think that low number is making you go overboard on your following UD?

Are you actually going far, far overboard on your UDs? Do you purge because of the nutrient make up of the food you are choosing or because you think you ate too much of it?

Could you be choosing to purge because you distrust that JUDDD's Down Days will be enough to compensate for your freedom to eat more on your Up Days... like you are unable to feel JUDDD can control it and so you have the need to control it yourself?

I'm so sorry. There are several here who have dealt, and are still dealing with, their own eating patterns, and who have been successful on JUDDD, and are finally beginning to feel a little more comfortable and able to trust in JUDDD, and in letting go of their compulsion to control their eating in the binging/purging manner.

Hang in there.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RileyWorm
laceymichelle-
i had problems with bingeing on UD while doing JUDDD as well. could you try low-carbing, while also JUDDDing? i find that low-carb helps keep my eating habits in check. i am still on a sugar frenzy from thanksgiving and the cravings are finally subsiding, a week later.
RileyWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
No advice, just empathy.

I had no history with bingeing, but I developed that behavior on JUDDD.

Strangely enough, my solution to this problem was not to return to low-carb (or at least not as low carb as before), but to go to a calorie-counting system where I track micro and macro nutrients. Since doing that, I've found stability even though I'm eating what most people on LCF would consider to be VERY carb-y foods (beans; Barilla pasta; fruit).

If you're curious, the software that I'm using to track is called Cron-o-Meter. It's available free online. I like it because it tracks macro-nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.

I hope you find a solution that works for you!! :-)
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emky
Stats: CW:144 GW:130
WOE: Atkins + Shangri-la
Start Date: January 2014
I had to go back to low carb because JUDDD caused my binge/purge ED to return in full force. It was *bad*- I have never felt so out of control and miserable in my life.

My advice? If you've already started having issues with this program and binge eating, then it is time to give it up. NOTHING is worth sacrificing your health- not even the promise of a carb-friendly WOE that you could lose weight on. Screw it, I say- it's better to be FAT than it is to be stuck in the vicious cycle of B/Ping.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by emky; 12-01-2011 at 11:48 AM..
emky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emky View Post
I had to go back to low carb because JUDDD caused my binge/purge ED to return in full force. It was *bad*- I have never felt so out of control and miserable in my life.

My advice? If you've already started having issues with this program and binge eating, then it is time to give it up. NOTHING is worth sacrificing your health- not even the promise of a carb-friendly WOE that you could lose weight on. Screw it, I say- it's better to be FAT than it is to be stuck in the vicious cycle of B/Ping.

Just my 2 cents.
But being able to overcome your disorder is even better then simply trying to quiet it and keep it asleep. I'm only saying that while JUDDD won't be for everyone, if those here who have binge/purge disordered eating can help her, laceymichelle may be able to join their ranks, and that would be the best Christmas gift of all this year.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm VERY confused and torn Btw. The two plans right now. I'm prob over thinking this. But I will and want to continue with Judd. If I have another episode I'm going back to LC. Thanks again
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hi, I have never struggled with an ED but just wanted to give you a
I am sort of combining both JUDDD and (relatively) LC (due to diabetes and a suspicion that refined carbs set off cravings for me) and an alternative schedule...

My "days" go from about 5pm to 5pm rather than from when I wake up,
so my DDs are shorter than regular JUDDD and I have at least one "Up Day" meal every day.
Do you think that sort of schedule would prevent bingeing?
Maybe someone else who has struggled with ED could advise.

I'm really sorry you're having trouble.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I'm VERY confused and torn Btw. The two plans right now. I'm prob over thinking this. But I will and want to continue with Judd. If I have another episode I'm going back to LC. Thanks again
This may be a clue right here. I think those who have overcome their eating disorder didn't change their basic low carb dietary choices when they started JUDDD, but remained low carb as they added JUDDD to their low carb plan. This ^ ^ ^ sounds like you give up low carbing when you start JUDDD, and use JUDDD for the freedom to eat carbs when you aren't working into it. (?)

I think the others didn't use JUDDD, with its completely open food choices, to take them off of their low carb plans... rather they continued their low carb diets while using JUDDD to monitor the daily calories of their low carb foods.

And once they were sort of established into the JUDDD cycle, they very, very, very gradually added back in a few food choices that were a bit higher in carbs. I think even to the extent of eating their little carby treat last thing at night before bedtime.

I remember Jo saying once early on that she had eaten in a *big* way, and was feeling too full and bloat-y, and even thought she felt uncomfortable, and she wanted in the worst way to purge, and she just resisted the urge to do so, and found the next morning she was down on the scale!

I certainly don't know how big your overeating might be when it occurs, but unless it's massive and going on for days and days, JUDDD will probably fix it in the next couple of DDs.

Hope some of our fellow JUDDD BUDDDs will see this soon and come in with their own stories and encouragement for you.

Last edited by SoHappy; 12-01-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:

I have never purged, but I started binging on JUDDD the first two weeks. I think it was because I had the mental thoughts of "OH GOODY! I can eat this stuff that I couldn't have yesterday." But, if it's any help to you, someone on another thread said they did the same and had to tell themselves, "Sure, you can have this today, but if not today, then the day after tomorrow and for the rest of your life." I also had to start tracking cals on UDs.

HANG IN THERE! We're all here for you!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I did jump right in with the carbs. Ok I'm putting a stop to that right now.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
I have never purged, but I started binging on JUDDD the first two weeks.
I sort of did the same for the first week or two, also...
I didn't go super high-carb, but I did push it a bit, and bought/ate a few things I hadn't been eating (or had been trying not to eat) on LC.

After that, the novelty wore off.
Now I often think about having pizza, bagels, ice cream, etc,
but since they aren't "off limits" any more, I can easily wait for days or weeks before working it into an Up Day plan, or save it for a social event.
ETA: For example, I have been wanting French fries since well before I started JUDDD on Oct 11, but I still haven't had them!
Tomorrow night my son is having a couple of friends over to spend the night, and I'm looking forward to making tater tots.

I understand your situation is scarier and more dangerous to your health, but maybe part of it is excitement over adding back in much-missed foods,
and it will pass once you fully realize you're not "cheating" and you don't have to justify or hide eating those things?

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-01-2011 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: ETA
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post

I have never purged, but I started binging on JUDDD the first two weeks. I think it was because I had the mental thoughts of "OH GOODY! I can eat this stuff that I couldn't have yesterday." But, if it's any help to you, someone on another thread said they did the same and had to tell themselves, "Sure, you can have this today, but if not today, then the day after tomorrow and for the rest of your life." I also had to start tracking cals on UDs.

HANG IN THERE! We're all here for you!
You aren't the only one this has happened to. Somehow it's easy to get confused between the concept of *You can eat anything* on JUDDD and the thought that *You can eat anything in any quantity* on JUDDD.

It is sort of interesting to think of having the utter and complete freedom to eat anything in the world that you want to eat, while having the absolute ability to relax in the knowledge that you don't have to eat it all now, today, this meal. It will always be there. If somebody eats the last cupcake, there can always be more batches of cupcakes. If it tasted that good today, it will taste that good again on your next UD, and it will forever.

It's the freeing realization that there is no longer a need to binge. To be able to actually get that in your head and believe it... there just isn't any need to binge anymore, and therefore, there is also no longer any need to purge. Wow. Not needed anymore.

I'm not saying I don't experience my own days of overeating to absolute excess, and when I succomb, it's usually on dessert carbs.

But one trick that we can do is. Nothing. Just go on. You don't purge. You don't quit. You just wake up the next morning and continue with JUDDD.

And I do agree with your mention of the help that actually counting your UD calories, and planning out your menus for meals ahead of time is good too. Despite Dr. Johnson saying in one part of his diet instructions that we can eat as much as we'd like on UDs, in other parts he repeatedly tells us to eat our *Normal Calories*... and he gives us that calorie calculator with the number labeled as our *Normal Calories*... so we find folks are a whole lot more successful if they track their UD calories as well as the DD ones.

Pretty easy for me to go too far over when I don't track, although I'm pretty used to good guess-timation after doing this for so many months.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Reading these posts, which are great advice btw, but it kinda makes me Want to go back to lc. With lc I eat eggs, meats, veggies sometimes. I know what I can eat and its simple. I have very few cravings. Maybe that's it for me. ED SUCK! I hate not being able to control it at times and not eat like a 'normal' person!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry, honey!!!
LC sounds nice & simple & effective for you, though.
Not having cravings is so valuable and wonderful.
Good luck!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Reading these posts, which are great advice btw, but it kinda makes me Want to go back to lc. With lc I eat eggs, meats, veggies sometimes. I know what I can eat and its simple. I have very few cravings. Maybe that's it for me. ED SUCK! I hate not being able to control it at times and not eat like a 'normal' person!
First a BIG for you! I would say that the bottom line here is if LC works for you, then do it. You seem to be OK on LC and that is all that matters.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
Oh how I know what you are going through!! Been there and done that for YEARS!!!
It is a terrible way to live and so sorry to hear you struggle with this!!

I struggled with Bulimia starting in high school and really finally believe conquered it several years ago. I had to get to the point that I had had enough. It is something you need to resolve internally, not externally through food or it will continue for years.

I have struggled with such low self esteem all of my life and really thought my weight was my worth. IT IS NOT!!! We are told this from everywhere we turn. Truth is, according to your stats, most women would LOVE to be where you are. This just proves even more that you need to get a handle on this. Food is not the culprit or the solution.

Praying for you. You are worth so much more then this agony you are putting yourself through!!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
I'm so sorry you are going through this It does sound like going back to low carb may be your solution, whether or not you do it with JUDDD.
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
I'm a little confused. Why do you want to try JUDDD if lc'ing is working for you? Is it because lc'ing is getting boring?
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbells View Post
I'm a little confused. Why do you want to try JUDDD if lc'ing is working for you? Is it because lc'ing is getting boring?
For some, standard low carb stops resulting in any weight loss for them. So sometimes they can continue eating low carb food choices, but add in the JUDDD alternating days of calorie monitoring, and weight loss will resume. You don't have to eat higher carb in order to do JUDDD, although some choose to do so.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
For some, standard low carb stops resulting in any weight loss for them. So sometimes they can continue eating low carb food choices, but add in the JUDDD alternating days of calorie monitoring, and weight loss will resume. You don't have to eat higher carb in order to do JUDDD, although some choose to do so.

This.

I'll keep u posted but I'm def going back to lc just in lower calories. You guys are truly awesome on this page I hate to leave it I made beef last night and it just felt like home eating it
Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #22
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
This.

I'll keep u posted but I'm def going back to lc just in lower calories. You guys are truly awesome on this page I hate to leave it;) I made beef last night and it just felt like home eating it
You don't have to leave, just hang around and chat with us. JUDDDer or not, we enjoy your company!! I hope you find what works for you, but like others have said I think you need to find a solution to your ED before any plan is going to work as well as it should.

Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
What Beeb said!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #24

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
I did jump right in with the carbs. Ok I'm putting a stop to that right now.
Quote:
This.

I'll keep u posted but I'm def going back to lc just in lower calories. You guys are truly awesome on this page I hate to leave it I made beef last night and it just felt like home eating it
You've got a lot of great responses and I just want to reiterate.

JUDDD does sound like a free for all, but even people who eat "normally" have an eating plan, or a diet they follow. Some people normally eat less fat, some normally eat more fiber, some normally eat more fat, less carb, more protein, whatever.

JUDDD is not saying you should eat things you KNOW are troublesome for you. As much as I wish it, JUDDD will not make it any easier on my tummy to eat as much Sugar Free Chocolates as I want. the Law of Maltitol still stand when it all comes down to it.

There is NO reason you couldn't continue to choose a low carb Way of Eating on your Up days. In fact you could get away with more carbs on an up day even if it low carb because you will be allowed more calories hence whatever ratio of carbs to fat to protein would be the same but more.

JUDDD is a lot more about control than it appears at first glance because with all the freedom comes the responsibility to really LOOK at what you are doing. It's not as easy as DON'T EAT ANY (FILL IN THE BLANK)

So if you find that certain things trigger binging, they will do that regardless. So you can choose to avoid them or you can try to have a little on Up Days and Work on the craving to binge IF you still keep your down days.

It's kinda an experiment. I think. You can try to reduce the lure of binging by realizing you can have it, maybe the impetus will reduce over time. Because you have the down day between to stay away from the binge trigger. What do they call that...? desensitizing?

You don't have to eat it all now, because You CAN have more later, the day after tomorrow. No one is going to take it way and you have permission to eat as much as you want. You have permission to OVER EAT IT if you want, but you have to accept the consequences, but only for one day because the next day is Down, and you Must limit everything, including the thing you want to over eat.

I think if you can do the down days, then it will be just a matter of time before you will have more control on Up days as well.

Don't give up. Give More, You can do it!!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #25

Quote:
This is not true even for "regular" folks, there is some modicum of restraint you have to choose, either in the volume of food or the type. For example, still try to make as many of those treats and goodies as LOW CARB as you can get away with. LC food is not bad food and there are so many good recipes out there for the holidays.

You do NOT have to be bored with your food. Get thee to Linda Sues or JackMixedTapes posts for so many yummy easy Treats, you won't know what to do with yourself, AND they will be low carb AND you will be able to eat more of them on your up day as well.

the thing about UD Days is that they are everyother day indulgences with the correction built right in as the Down Day.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #26

Lacey, for the record, when I started JUDDD, I decided that my Down Day calories will be whatever I want to eat, and My UP menu would be as close to EFGT.

EFGT is a Low Carb Plan that specifies ratios of fat be ~65%, Protein be ~20% and Carbs be ~15%. with my calorie limit at 1800, my carbs can be as high as 60 - 75g,and still have 60% fat. that ratio puts me into the low carb catagory by most accounts.

How do I manage sweets. Well at thangsiving I didn't, I just ate, but at home, I ate the sweet and added fat to it ( apple pie with butter melted over it) . What happened was that I felt satisfied from the sweet taste and sugar and sensation of the sweet but I had so much fat also, from butter added and previous meals , that I also felt satisfied from eating just a portion of the sweet. The fact that my ratio kept me in the low carb range helped me have the treat and be satisfied .

Then I had a down day the next day.... and went down on the scale again.

Now I'm surely not in ketosis or anything and in fact my goal is maintaining, but over the past month or so of JUDDD I've actually come down a net pound while trying to maintain. If you are actively trying to lose with low carb Up days, then I know you will lose and Still have the ED control that Low Carb gives you.

Last edited by metqa; 12-02-2011 at 11:21 AM..