Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Christmas Eve - What Food Do You Have?

This year there will be just 3 of us, all adults! I just do not know what to make and would appreciate any suggestions.
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
DD for me - so not that much!!! Sorry not much help.

Most Christmas Eve's we don't do anything special. In Europe, I think they eat fish??
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Our family usually has a food buffet similar to Thanksgiving, except they do ham instead of turkey. Certain other years, they've bought Subway sandwiches or pizza. Still other times, they've bought those big frozen lasagnas and had salad and garlic bread.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
We usually don't have a dinner but there's dips (7 layer, spinach, etc) and snack/appetizer type foods.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
We do chili rellenos and taco salad and rice and beans and chips and salsa. good old fashioned southern california mexican fiesta.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
We usually don't have a dinner but there's dips (7 layer, spinach, etc) and snack/appetizer type foods.
That's what we do.
Deviled eggs, various cheese and meats, olives, pickles, veggies, dips - things like that.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
We don't have any set traditions for meals, but I always make Jesus a homemade (from scratch icing and all) chocolate birthday cake!
We also make reindeer food. You mix glitter and uncooked oats and spread it out in the yard Christmas Eve night. The glitter attracts the reindeer and then the oats keep them busy with a snack while Santa is busy inside!! DD's are 12 (today!) and 16 and we still do it just for the fun of tradition!!
jandjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Italian here so this is the BIG meal for the Christmas Holiday for us. There are usually up to 28 people gathered around my table! I make shrimp/scallops scampi over pasta, a turkey with all the sides and various appies and desserts. Thank JUDDD it's an UD!!

Christmas dinner is very low key and it's usually prime rib and sides for about 6 people. BIG difference from the night before!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
My neighbors are Italian and have the Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve
It's just a "snacking" thing...make a little batch of calamari, eat, hang out for a while; make a batch of smelts, eat, hang out for a while...
make some scallops, eat, etc...We started talking/drooling about it the day after Thanksgiving, haha!

They also make a walnut, garlic, and oil pasta dish that is simple and yummy.

In many Latin American countries, they have a party on Christmas Eve and the food is laid out but you can't eat it until midnight!

Our (Mexican-American) tradition is tamales but I don't do it every year; it's kind of a pain by myself. When I'm with my family and we get 3 or 4 people making tamales, it's fun. We start making dozens/hundreds of them a week or so before Christmas and then eat them for days (even for breakfast!!!) and exchange them with neighbors.

Chiles rellenos sound really good!!! I've been wondering what to make for Christmas; that might be the answer!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
We always have the whole family (my side and DH's side of the family) over for Christmas Eve. Everyone always brings something (cannoli, crab dip, chicken wing dip, bread boat, taco salad dip, homemade rum balls, and such...). We also do a meat...one year we deep fried a turkey, another year we did an assortment of venison, one year bacon-wrapped pork loin, meatballs, this year it will be traditional polish sausage made with marjoram. Usually there's some seafood...chilled shrimp, steamed clams, bacon-wrapped scallops. I do a variety of dips, sweets, cheeses and other munchies. BUT, I always make a traditional southern red velvet cake. Soooo worth the trouble!

*Big drool...

Can't wait for it! It's gonna be an UD!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
My neighbors are Italian and have the Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve
It's just a "snacking" thing...make a little batch of calamari, eat, hang out for a while; make a batch of smelts, eat, hang out for a while...
make some scallops
, eat, etc...We started talking/drooling about it the day after Thanksgiving, haha!

They also make a walnut, garlic, and oil pasta dish that is simple and yummy
I'm not sure where you Italian neighbors are from but Christmas Eve in an Italian household is NOT a snacking thing. It's a full sit down dinner where I come from. Both my Grandparents were "straight off the boat" so I tend to think the way they did it is what is done in Italy. My Grandmother did the seven fishes, I just do 2 fishes now because no one eats the eels, salted cod fish, calamari, stuffed squid or mussels anymore.

That pasta dish, BTW should have eels in it also, besides the walnuts, garlic and olive oil.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 11-29-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I'm not sure where you Italian neighbors are from but Christmas Eve in an Italian household is NOT a snacking thing. It's a full sit down dinner where I come from. Both my Grandparents were "straight off the boat" so I tend to think the way they did it is what is done in Italy. My Grandmother did the seven fishes, I just do 2 fishes now because no one eats the eels, salted cod fish, calamari, stuffed squid or mussels anymore.

That pasta dish, BTW should have eels in it also, besides the walnuts, garlic and olive oil.
Well, it's a very big family with very little money, so that's how they have to do it...dole it out slowly!!!
Or else a couple of the boys would make off with $30 of seafood on their plates before the rest of us got any.
Sometimes they can only afford two or three fishes...I am going to try to help them out a little this year.

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-29-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Old 11-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Our family usually has a food buffet similar to Thanksgiving, except they do ham instead of turkey. Certain other years, they've bought Subway sandwiches or pizza. Still other times, they've bought those big frozen lasagnas and had salad and garlic bread.
Are we related?!?!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
My family is getting together on Christmas eve and then Christmas day is individual family time. Im loving the idea of the subway sandwiches. I may have to suggest that for this year.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Traditionally we have our main celebration Christmas Eve. It used to be Oyster Stew till my Dad decided he was allergic after 30 years. =\

Now we have a buffet style of various foods. Spam salad, meatballs/weiners, ham, rolls, dips/chips, yum yum salad...the list goes on.

Definitely won't be a DD.
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
Are we related?!?!
That cracked me up, LCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 View Post
My family is getting together on Christmas eve and then Christmas day is individual family time. Im loving the idea of the subway sandwiches. I may have to suggest that for this year.
Subway has a party sub - it can be made several feet long at least. I think you have to give them 24 hours notice, but ask your local shop. They box it up for you and then you set it up along your table. They give you packets of mayo and dressing and stuff, and the toppings like lettuce and tomato come in bags too, and you can pre-assemble or everyone can slice off how much they want and fix it like they want.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjsmom View Post
We don't have any set traditions for meals, but I always make Jesus a homemade (from scratch icing and all) chocolate birthday cake!
We also make reindeer food. You mix glitter and uncooked oats and spread it out in the yard Christmas Eve night. The glitter attracts the reindeer and then the oats keep them busy with a snack while Santa is busy inside!! DD's are 12 (today!) and 16 and we still do it just for the fun of tradition!!

Love these ideas! I told my 3yr old last night about the Reigndeer food and he got sooo excited!
laceymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chona
Start Date: November 8, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
This year there will be just 3 of us, all adults! I just do not know what to make and would appreciate any suggestions.
My first Christmas eve on this WOE, too. I have one guest coming...so three of us as well. I am thinking of that cabbage roll soup, without the rice. And homemade bread (for DH and guest) and salad with fat free WaldenFarms dressing. That and some apps (for them) and a simple dessert should round it out. Nothing fancy...just sustenance.
Chona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chona
Start Date: November 8, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
My first Christmas eve on this WOE, too. I have one guest coming...so three of us as well. I am thinking of that cabbage roll soup, without the rice. And homemade bread (for DH and guest) and salad with fat free WaldenFarms dressing. That and some apps (for them) and a simple dessert should round it out. Nothing fancy...just sustenance.
Chona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
My mom used to make Cornish game hens with wild rice stuffing every year for Christmas Eve. They were so good! She made a glaze with orange marmalade and soy sauce! Then, one year, I went to St Louis with my boy friend and his mom and sister to visit some of his family and mom and dad went out to eat. We've been going out to eat on Christmas Eve ever since. Everyone (mom, dad, IL's, kids, DH) goes!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
We also make reindeer food. You mix glitter and uncooked oats and spread it out in the yard Christmas Eve night. The glitter attracts the reindeer and then the oats keep them busy with a snack while Santa is busy inside!!!
That's so sweet! It reminds me of the Epiphany tradition of leaving out food for the Three Kings' camels.

In some countries, Santa doesn't bring the toys, the Three Kings do--
and the children put out little boxes of hay or cut grass for the camels.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by handbells View Post
Then, one year, I went to St Louis with my boy friend and his mom and sister to visit some of his family and mom and dad went out to eat. We've been going out to eat on Christmas Eve ever since. Everyone (mom, dad, IL's, kids, DH) goes!
We usually go out to eat Chinese on Christmas Eve, right after 5:00 p.m. church.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Quote:
We do reindeer food too!

Happy Birthday to your DD!!!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
*raises hand for Big Italian Family*
We'd have a ham and 3 or 4 pasta dishes Christmas Eve (gotta sleep through Midnight Mass ya know) and spend all day making ravioli and sauces for Christmas Day Dinner.
Growing up that was.
Now I keep it much simpler lol.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
Usually seafood...crabcakes are always yummy !
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote