Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Another benefit of FDs

I'll start off by saying I'm in maintenance, so I have incorporated Free Days (FD) instead of UD into my rotation. On FD, I do not count or consider calories.

Another benefit I've discovered is that I can eat all the healthier fats (and proteins) I need. When I was doing JUDDD the regular way of UD/DD, I had to stay within a calorie limit on UD, so I was still using a lot of my DD or low-calorie items on UD to help me stay in my limits. This meant more convenience foods and what some would call "frankenfoods".

I have no judgment on that, just to say that I wanted to get back to what I used to consider more real whole foods and "quality" fats.

I'll admit, using these "diet" items also helped me to enjoy a lot of other "bad" carby & sweet foods on UD and still stay within my calorie limit. So I felt like if I was going to really enjoy my UDs to their fullest, I needed to axe most of the evoo, butter, and cream that I love and do substitutes so I could enjoy the other things I'd been deprived of, like mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, bread, etc. If you get my drift.

For example, if I used the low cal salad dressing on UD (the dressing that didn't have what I consider "good fats" like evoo and ingredients like herbs and balsamic vinegar, but instead used more chemicals or soybean oils) I could keep my calories down and save room for sweets or potatoes or whatever.

But now that calories are of no concern on FD, I can have extra virgin olive oil - lots of it, or bacon grease, coconut oil, butter, etc. and all the fatty animal foods I enjoyed on LC but had to reign in a bit on JUDDD (if I was going to stay in my calorie limits and indulge in carby stuff too) If you see what I mean...

So I feel that having FD allows me the best of ALL worlds. I understand that many who do JUDDD already use a lot of homemade, real whole foods even without FD, but I was not doing that so much. But now I feel that there is no calorie limit, so I can go back to doing that, and getting the WHOLE PACKAGE of benefits (and that means still having my carby stuff of course!!!!) Yayyy JUDDD!!

MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 11-29-2011 at 01:23 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
wow that sounds like an awesome way of going about it....i'm still having trouble with my up day calorie limit...i'm ravenous right now....just ate a big meal and am already at 1881 for my calories...i probably didnt use them so wisely as i used peanutbutter on my bagel thin and prolly shoulda used 'i can't believe it's not butter', like you said chemical stuffs but just till i lose the weight with lower cal substitutions.... but i tried....i will use ur suggestions to get to goal and then look forward to my FD every now and then....i'm still not too sure how my body is handling this goodness of eating yet....i'm down 3 and i'm guessing it's water since i peed all day yesterday....anywho, thanks for your suggestions of success!!!

......sorry for the longness..........

Feb 1: 190 ---> 193.8
March 1: 185 -> 188.0
April 1: 180 --> 184.8
May 1: 175 --> 178.2
June 1: 170
.......-5/month until my birthday in
DECEMBER: 140
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I'll start off by saying I'm in maintenance, so I have incorporated Free Days (FD) instead of UD into my rotation. On FD, I do not count or consider calories.

Another benefit I've discovered is that I can eat all the healthier fats (and proteins) I need. When I was doing JUDDD the regular way of UD/DD, I had to stay within a calorie limit on UD, so I was still using a lot of my DD or low-calorie items on UD to help me stay in my limits. This meant more convenience foods and what some would call "frankenfoods".

I have no judgment on that, just to say that I wanted to get back to what I used to consider more real whole foods and "quality" fats.

I'll admit, using these "diet" items also helped me to enjoy a lot of other "bad" carby & sweet foods on UD and still stay within my calorie limit. So I felt like if I was going to really enjoy my UDs to their fullest, I needed to axe most of the evoo, butter, and cream that I love and do substitutes so I could enjoy the other things I'd been deprived of, like mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, bread, etc. If you get my drift.

For example, if I used the low cal salad dressing on UD (the dressing that didn't have what I consider "good fats" like evoo and ingredients like herbs and balsamic vinegar, but instead used more chemicals or soybean oils) I could keep my calories down and save room for sweets or potatoes or whatever.

But now that calories are of no concern on FD, I can have extra virgin olive oil - lots of it, or bacon grease, coconut oil, butter, etc. and all the fatty animal foods I enjoyed on LC but had to reign in a bit on JUDDD (if I was going to stay in my calorie limits and indulge in carby stuff too) If you see what I mean...

So I feel that having FD allows me the best of ALL worlds. I understand that many who do JUDDD already use a lot of homemade, real whole foods even without FD, but I was not doing that so much. But now I feel that there is no calorie limit, so I can go back to doing that, and getting the WHOLE PACKAGE of benefits (and that means still having my carby stuff of course!!!!) Yayyy JUDDD!!

That is exactly what my plan of action is when I get a little below my goal!

Good fats, and eliminating frankenfoods.

I don't want to undo all the good I've done eating healthily for so long.

Doesn't mean I won't have my treats, though.

Shouldn't be too long now! Yay, JUDDD!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Sophie, I've also been thinking about the lack of healthy fats and other healthy but high calorie foods so far while I'm JUDDDing for exactly the same reasons as you. I try my best to use whole foods and homemade meals but due to the calorie limit, it's difficult sometimes, especially trying to fit in healthy fats. It's so encouraging and helpful to see how well you've been doing on maintenance. I have a ways to go, but I really hope to do the same as you're doing now someday when I hit my goal and start maintaining, allowing the FDs and adding back healthy fats!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
This is why I find the idea of doing an Up Day/Atkins Fat Fast Day rotation interesting.
I may be trying it soon if my blood sugar continues to be erratic, and to see if it controls hunger better on DDs.

A big paradigm shift has happened for me in the last year or so since "discovering" low-carb and many LC & paleo blogs...
that fat is good for us, lower cholesterol doesn't prevent heart disease, etc, etc.

I'm nowhere near maintenance, but I haven't been counting calories very closely on my UDs because most of my food is homemade (and I'm not a cook who measures or follows recipes!!!), and I do feel that since I'm eating so low-cal/low-fat on my DDs, I want to include healthy fats on UDs (I haven't been losing much the last 3 weeks, so I can't say this strategy is working!!!). I'm sick of "normal" dieting, where you have to restrict calories & fat every day, and JUDDD is great because I bet you don't have to eat these fats every day to get the health benefits.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote