Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
FD's In Maintainance...Whats Your Experience or Opinion?

Sophiethecat suggested this thread..thanks Sophie!

Both Sophie and I have started trying a DD/FD rotation, to see how it will hold us in maintainance.

Basicially, it is what DR Johnson describes in his book...eating what we want, to satisfaction, on an UD...and holding to our normal DD.

I have been doing a DD/UD/DDD/FD rotation for 3 weeks, and maintaining/losing very slowly. This week I have started just DD/FD.

When I started, it was rather like when we first start juddd...on an UD..we are almost looking for carbs to eat..just because they are now allowed!
When I started Juddd...I stuck to mostly healthy lower carb foods on an UD..afraid I would "run out" of cals...so when I had my first few FD's I went a bit mad, eating all the high cal/carb foods I had missed.

Now I realise that every other day really IS a no count, no diet day, I have calmed down a bit...and eat a mixture of everything!

Like Sophie said in a previous post, this DD/FD rotation is only an idea for maintainance...not recommended when you are trying to lose...though if you ARE losing like this...you are very lucky!

Does anyone else have an experience, opinion on FD's, or plan to eat this way in maintainance?

hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Just started no counting calories on my UDs but I'm finding I'm not eating enough and am still losing or not gaining the expected weight I should gain after an UD.

I think my issue is I'm hesitant with my eating because I'm not sure how much I'm eating and don't want to overdo it! BUT, I am still going to give it a go this way to see what happens. I'm not overdoing carbs either because I don't stick to LC, per say anymore, so I don't have the "OMG I can eat this higher carb thing now" way of thinking like I did in the beginning.

FDs are an experiment for me and if I find I continue to lose I'm going back to counting again.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: avecrain
Stats: 240/197/160 (5'10, age 22)
WOE: juddd; DD 500 / UD 2400
Start Date: september 5, 2011
I think there's nothing wrong with not counting calories on Up Days during weight loss, if it works for you. It's what is recommended in the book, and if you have a healthy relationship with and awareness of your own hunger and appetite, as well as general knowledge of nutrition, I think there is actually no reason to count calories on Up Days, while losing or while maintaining. I think that it is ideal for maintaining, especially if calorie counting causes anxiety or fixation. Monitoring the scale every week can help reverse any weight gain, but it doesn't have to send you back into calorie counting, it can just bring awareness to your Up Day eating.

I also think it's fine to count calories on Up Days, as many people on this board (and I) do. It does offer the reassurance that you're getting the math right, and will stay on or close to whatever course you intend to be on. I am still working on detaching my hunger and appetite from all the other things I feel about food, and calorie counting on Up Days holds me accountable for my food choices and gives more hints as to the relationship between what I eat and my subsequent weights.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I consider it a truly Free Day. I don't count calories and I eat anything and everything I want.

My first FD, I counted the calories up at the end of the day just out of curiosity to see what it was. Now I just eat without worry about calories on FD. It is truly freeing. In fact, I was going to start a post about the true freedom of FD and how that since I'm past the initial WOW I CAN EAT ANYTHING AS MUCH AS I WANT phase (kinda like coming off LC to JUDDD and eating any carbs), I find I'm starting to be ready for more QUALITY foods than I was having before.

It's like I've truly come around to the woe where I was happiest with food and also thin (which was before Fall 2010 where I started the big weight gain).... Summer of 2010, when I was cooking a lot of quality, from-scratch foods, and Mediterranean-inspired stuff. Only NOW I think ALL the pieces of the puzzle are there for my best health = The "fasting" benefits of JUDDD + embracing more "real" foods again as opposed to lots of processed foods I ate in the beginning on JUDDD + the quality of Low Carb fats and proteins.... I just feel like it's all coming together for me

Not that I don't still indulge in all the naughtiness of carbs on FD, just that I feel like I'm settling in now to more healthy eating too.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
I am so tempted to go for this whole FD/DD rotation since I'm in maintenance . . . just counting on DD.

So Joedi, you really don't add any food into ************ every other day? That would be a big adjustment to me since I like to average my numbers and stuff. I love math I don't want to be so obsessed about counting everything everyday either, though!

I'm thinking I'll start tomorrow since today was a down day. Yikes!
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietcc View Post
I am so tempted to go for this whole FD/DD rotation since I'm in maintenance . . . just counting on DD.

So Joedi, you really don't add any food into ************ every other day? That would be a big adjustment to me since I like to average my numbers and stuff. I love math I don't want to be so obsessed about counting everything everyday either, though!

I'm thinking I'll start tomorrow since today was a down day. Yikes!
Go for it, Julie It does feel weird at first not to be figuring up calories on ******, but now it just feels like one less thing I have to do/worry about, kinda like I'm not on a diet at all, lol.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK I'm convinced. I'm jumping in! I will probably roughly estimate calories in my head for awhile but my life will be less complicated without worrying about every little thing I eat. I'm excited!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
OK I'm convinced. I'm jumping in! I will probably roughly estimate calories in my head for awhile but my life will be less complicated without worrying about every little thing I eat. I'm excited!
I'm excited for you! This must be the truly darkest of the dark sides we've entered into.... mwahaha Wait til it dawns on you again and again, a little deeper each time, that you can truly eat ANYTHING you want, AS MUCH as you want. I still can't quite believe it, and I've been doing it for a couple weeks now!

Amazingly, I still pretty much just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full since I can eat more and more later if I want. Example - I didn't overindulge in anything out of the ordinary today than from a usual UD (I mean, I didn't dive headfirst into a cookie jar or anything) EXCEPT I probably had 5 servings of my semi-homemade crab, corn & potato chowder! Made with real cream, butter... it had to be at least a couple hundred calories per cup. But it didn't matter... FREE DAY!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That chowder sounds good! And some things like that are hard to count calories for anyway!

My boss is so cute. She knows about my switch from low carb to JUDDD and she came by today with pecan pie. She asked if this was a down day or an up day. I told her it was a down. She put my name on the container and said we'll eat pie tomorrow! We then snagged crackers and salami out of a gift basket for the office and we are going to have a little feast tomorrow
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
That chowder sounds good! And some things like that are hard to count calories for anyway!

My boss is so cute. She knows about my switch from low carb to JUDDD and she came by today with pecan pie. She asked if this was a down day or an up day. I told her it was a down. She put my name on the container and said we'll eat pie tomorrow! We then snagged crackers and salami out of a gift basket for the office and we are going to have a little feast tomorrow
Mmm! Enjoy your little feast day tomorrow! That's another word I use for the "F" in FD, btw - it can mean FREE Day, FULL Day, FEAST Day!

PS - your boss does sound cute - and great

Last edited by sophiethecat; 11-29-2011 at 10:09 PM..
Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yes, I just thought about it when I read this, and realize I do a sort of mental estimate too - not to see if I'm going over, but just to make sure I'm getting ENOUGH... and then I tend to forget about it once I see I'm going to make it OK...
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loves2sing
Stats: 180.5/148.4/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart JUDDD 11/24/11 at 152.8
Quote:

What a GREAT boss! You are very fortunate, Juliet... My boss never does anything this nice, she doesn't even send birthday cards or remember things about people's families.

Have fun tomorrow!
loves2sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loves2sing
Stats: 180.5/148.4/145
Start Date: Restart JUDDD 11/24/11 at 152.8
I'm getting close to maintenance, too.

I think my goal will be to eat as much very healthy food as I want on my UDs, without counting.

For me, this means having sugar and grains only on rare occasions, eating good protein and healthy fats, plus lots of vegetables.

I think this kind of eating, alternating with "clean" DDs, will promote my health as well as weight maintenance.

I appreciate this thread... Thanks for starting it, Joedi.
loves2sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2sing View Post
I'm getting close to maintenance, too.

I think my goal will be to eat as much very healthy food as I want on my UDs, without counting.

For me, this means having sugar and grains only on rare occasions, eating good protein and healthy fats, plus lots of vegetables.

I think this kind of eating, alternating with "clean" DDs, will promote my health as well as weight maintenance.

I appreciate this thread... Thanks for starting it, Joedi.
That's great that you are going to eat so healthy! My goal will be to eat healthy "most of the time". I do better on some days more than others. I have to say that yesterday I ate the most delicious pear I ever had. I think it was also my first pear in more than 2 years I'd also like to continue eating more salads than burgers and just make good choices more often.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Well I've been having FDs regularly now for a few weeks, so I thought I'd comment again.

Since including FDs I bounce around the scale much less than before with regular calorie-counting UDs. I tend to move between 144 and 146 now, right where I want to be.

It's truly freeing not having a calorie ceiling - like not dieting at all. Especially since I do the MUDDD version. The only counting I do is to mentally estimate at first to try to make sure I'm getting close to my UD calories, and then when I see I'm going to do that, I forget about counting calories for the rest of the time. I just don't want to get LESS than my UD calories, but going over is of course, fine, so I don't worry about counting.

Something else that's started happening a couple weeks ago is that since it's sinking in that I can have ANYTHING, and AS MUCH AS I WANT, I'm not going for the refined carbs, sweets, etc. as much now. With the MUDDD version, I can have them EVERY DAY if I want since a part of my FD/DD eating falls each day rather than every other day. And similarly to how all the carby "off-limit" things (usually) start to lose their hold over you after you've been JUDDDg a while because you know you can have it the day after tomorrow... Well, I know I can have anything as much as I want (and pretty much daily with the MUDDD schedule) so believe me, a lot of that "naughty" food is losing its hold over me in a big way.

It's sort of human nature I think to want what is forbidden, and so with nothing forbidden from me in any amount on any day, it's becoming commonplace, for lack of better word. I'm actually gravitating toward the more healthy stuff again - wanting to add back the good fats I used on LC like coconut oil, evoo, butter, etc, now that I don't have to take calories into consideration on my FD.

I still use a lot of diet or sugar-free products, not because I'm worried about calories really, but because I want to limit the insulin issues. I never ever drink regular soda, for example, because of the hfcs.

While doing regular weight-loss mode JUDDD, I was using a lot of products that I didn't feel were the healthiest - processed stuff that had a lot of extra ingredients since they were low/no fat, or more packaged, processed stuff that may have had hfcs, transfats, etc. I really really want to get away from that as much as I can, and go back more to how I was eating before. I think it made a difference to my body.

Seems like there was something else I wanted to say about the FDs in maintenance, but maybe it will come to me later.

How are the other FD maintainers doing?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by avecrain View Post
I think there's nothing wrong with not counting calories on Up Days during weight loss, if it works for you. It's what is recommended in the book, and if you have a healthy relationship with and awareness of your own hunger and appetite, as well as general knowledge of nutrition, I think there is actually no reason to count calories on Up Days, while losing or while maintaining.
Cool, I'm going to come out of the closet, then...

I'm not in maintenance, and I don't count on UDs!

At my current weight, I have a pretty high UD calorie limit, 2400/day if not exercising, 2800 for light exercise; a few months ago I was entering all my food at the end of the day because I was more focused on macronutrient ratios and blood sugar control than calorie restriction, and I was hitting 2400-2800 naturally; 3000 very occasionally if I had been particularly hungry or gone out to eat.

I was (not purposely!) maintaining pretty well before I started JUDDD, so I figured if I continued to eat that way but alternated with DDs, I should lose! I mean, I'm cutting about 2000 calories every other day! If that doesn't cause weight loss, forget it!!!

And since I have to restrict so severely on DDs, I rebel at the thought of counting on my UDs as well. I cook almost everything from scratch (without measuring!) and eat at my neighbor's once or twice a week; sometimes it's nearly impossible (and never any fun) to calculate the calories.

I do think, as I lose weight, I may have to count for a while; I've heard that the appetite doesn't always diminish at the same rate as one's caloric needs.

And if I hit a stall or start re-gaining, I will try Joedi's brilliant DD/UD/DD/FD plan as my first tweak, and can always try counting on all UDs if I have to.

On LC and even once I started taking Metformin for diabetes, I've been lucky to lose 3-5lbs in a month. I've lost 16lbs since starting JUDDD/MUDDD 2 months ago, and when I consider that I only "diet" every other day, it's sort of like losing 16lbs in a month! Plus, I've had a LOT of high carb treats that I hadn't eaten in over a year on LC! So, for now anyway--and especially through the holidays!!!--I'm perfectly happy not counting on UDs.

ETA:
One rule I do have for UDs, though, is NO SNACKING. I eat hearty, fatty, low- to moderate-carb meals and wait 5-7 hours before eating again.
Any "snacky" foods, like potato chips, nuts or cookies, I eat with or immediately after a meal. Otherwise, it's too easy to eat 3 or 4 or more servings!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-14-2011 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: correct sentence structure, ETA
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Really interesting thread. PJenny, I think you are brilliant, you have taken JUDDD and truly made it work for you.

I am doing FD/DD too now that I am maintaining. Hoping my Xmas goes smoothly. MDs on Xmas Eve and Boxing Day.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
This is very interesting. I have to say, I would love to not have to worry about what, how much, how many carbs I was eating on UD since I am maintaining.
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I can't see myself getting to the point of not counting calories. At least in the back of my mind. I can see though that it would be very freeing. Especially in being able to eat things that it would be hard to figure calories for. I eat very plain, mostly to be able to count calories easily. It would be so nice to eat a bowl of that yummy sounding soup and not have to worry about what is in it. I'm not in maintenance yet but maybe I can get a little more free when I start.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #21
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Have now been doing FDs for the past 3 weeks. Yesterday was a FD and I was up today by 3.5 pounds, something that has never happened yet. This just tells me that I can't eat as "freely" as I think I can on those FDs and I need to mentally keep track of my UD cals.

I like the freedom of not counting my UDs now, but I also now know I need to be observant, too.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I started doing Free Days around November 30 and was able to hold my weight around 113-114. Since November 13 my weight has been around 115 (after a huge holiday party) and I haven't seen that 113 number since. So I've counted a few of my up/free days here and there for good measure.

The problem is that since November 12 I've had 4 major eating events! I've been eating a lot of junk and sweets on my free days, too. I think free days will still work for me once I get through Christmas. That's when I plan to eat more healthy than not. It will also be so much easier to stick to the regular DD/UD rotation since I've had some up days in a row, some mid days, etc. My last 4 DDs have been under 500 calories so I have confidence I can get back to that 113!