Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Looking for DD creamy soup?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/747083-looking-dd-creamy-soup.html)

jandjsmom 11-27-2011 05:11 PM

Looking for DD creamy soup??
 
Now that it is finally about to get cold down here in the South, I would love to have a creamy soup recipe for my down days!
I have never really like broth based soups, but love cream based ones:heart:!!
Any ideas for a low low low cal soup?:dunno:

dasiey 11-27-2011 05:19 PM

progresso makes a creamy mushroom...

dasiey 11-27-2011 05:23 PM

I went and looked at calories 120 for a cup or 240 for the whole can.

piratejenny 11-27-2011 05:44 PM

That is going to be very difficult!
I think I would rather just eat real, full-fat creamy soups on Up Days! :)

Nutritional yeast (available online or at health food stores) has a somewhat cheesy/buttery flavor.
It isn't super low-calorie, but has a lot of vitamins and protein that I think make it worth the calories!
I used to use it a lot when making vegan "cream of broccoli" (or asparagus or whatever) soups.
I would also blend up a few potatoes as the "creamy" base.
For lower calories, you could use pureed cauliflower instead.
I also usually added cashew butter for creaminess (almond butter works, too).
Again, it's not very low-calorie but if your other ingredients are, 1 tablespoon (100 calories) will give the soup a lot of flavor/richness--more, I think, than 100 calories of milk or cream.
Mimiccreme is pretty good for soups, but I find using a spoonful of nut butter is more economical than buying almond or nut milks
--with the exception of canned coconut milk, which is delicious in soups!!!

Here's a really simple creamy soup, probably DD friendly if you use "lite" coconut milk:
--sweet potatoes (cook until soft, then puree with a little of the water you boiled them in)
--coconut milk
--Thai Red Curry (to taste) (I get the Thai Kitchen brand)
Nothing else needed! Not even onions!
Although, fresh chopped cilantro makes a nice garnish. and you can add sauteed onions, and/or a little grated fresh ginger, if desired. :)
But it's really good with just those 3 ingredients!

julietcc 11-27-2011 05:59 PM

Do you like clam chowder? I don't have any creamy soup recipes but I do like Progresso Light Clam Chowder that is 100 calories per cup or 200 for the whole can.

mttemple4 11-27-2011 06:56 PM

I had the V-8 potato soup today and with a smidgen of added salt and pepper it was delicious! 100 calories per serving, 200 for the whole carton. I added 35 calories worth of bacon bits to one serving. Fantastic!

Beeb 11-27-2011 07:09 PM

I have a cream of tomato I make with Goya tomato sauce and Calorie Countdown Fat Free Milk that comes to about 95 calories for a giant serving.

It's one can Goya or any tomato sauce that is 15 calories or less 1/4 cup or any sauce that is 60 calories for a cup and 1 cup CC FF milk or even almond or coconut milk that is 35 calories per cup. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper and a tiny bit of sweetener and you got Cream of Tomato Soup!! :clap:

jandjsmom 11-28-2011 06:10 AM

Thanks for all the ideas!! So rainy and cold, creamy soup is comfort food for me!!

Dottie 11-28-2011 06:22 AM

I made one yesterday with a broth packet (herb ox sodium free), green salsa and a laughing cow cheese wedge and it was good! Not overly creamy. I imagine if I had used half a cup of almond milk along with the water (17 calories more - so about 70 calories for the cup) it would have been creamier:)

shirlc 11-28-2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15207601)
I made one yesterday with a broth packet (herb ox sodium free), green salsa and a laughing cow cheese wedge and it was good! Not overly creamy. I imagine if I had used half a cup of almond milk along with the water (17 calories more - so about 70 calories for the cup) it would have been creamier:)

Dottie, I tried your soup yesterday, but didn't have green salsa so I used red. It didn't get very creamy, but it sure was good! I'm thinking the green salsa must work better...going to get some today. Also, this is really a calorie bargain!

Joannew 11-28-2011 06:37 AM

Lipton's cream of chicken cup of soup = 60 calories and is delicious!:)

Dottie 11-28-2011 06:50 AM

Shirl try heating the salsa and cheese first so it melts better, stir then add the water and packet of broth :)

shirlc 11-28-2011 07:29 AM

Thanks, Dottie!

mattsmama 11-28-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15207052)
I have a cream of tomato I make with Goya tomato sauce and Calorie Countdown Fat Free Milk that comes to about 95 calories for a giant serving.

It's one can Goya or any tomato sauce that is 15 calories or less 1/4 cup or any sauce that is 60 calories for a cup and 1 cup CC FF milk or even almond or coconut milk that is 35 calories per cup. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper and a tiny bit of sweetener and you got Cream of Tomato Soup!! :clap:


Oh, YUMMMM!!! I know what I am having tomorrow!!:yummy:

I have loved cream of tomato since I was a little girl...(translation...quite a while ;) )

Thanks for sharing, Beeb!!:hugs:

dasiey 11-29-2011 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasiey (Post 15206856)
progresso makes a creamy mushroom...

I had this yesterday on my dd. and it was yummie. I just thought it would have been a bit better if I had put a cup of california blend in it.

I am gonna try this next time I buy this soup. Oh and maybe a wedge of laughing cow cheese.....

shirlc 11-29-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasiey (Post 15210342)
I had this yesterday on my dd. and it was yummie. I just thought it would have been a bit better if I had put a cup of california blend in it.

I am gonna try this next time I buy this soup. Oh and maybe a wedge of laughing cow cheese.....

This sounds like a good idea...and I've got some of that soup in my cupboard!

itsmeshelly01 11-29-2011 05:56 PM

Im gonna experiment tomorrow night and make creamy tomato using a can of v8, half a cup almond milk, teaspoon psyllium and a can of geisha shrimp, plus some spices. We will see how that turns out. I think it sounds good. It will be about 180 calories.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:53 PM.