Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
When are you done???

So I switched to JUDDD because I couldn't see myself never eating carbs again and I wanted to maintain my weight loss. But I was ALSO secretly hoping that I would continue to lose weight.

I did lose 2 lbs. That doesn't sound like much but I was losing .5/mo on low carb. Yes that is POINT 5 per month.

I am able to do the 500 calories days...but I'm going WAYYYYY over board on the UDs. I'm not calculating or keeping track. But there is a whole lotta snacking going on.

My hubby keeps telling me to just relax, I look fine, I should be happy, etc. But honestly I am feeling "fat" lately. I can't get it bc I weight less than I did in my 20s!! What the heck does a woman almost hitting the 40s expect/want??

Am I done? How do I know? Should I just be happy I get to gorge myself like a pig every other day and maintain? Or should I start sticking to plan!? Or should I try upping my DD calories to see if it helps w/the hunger on UD?

Please share w/me

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
as a fellow women about to hit her 40's and who is about the same height, i think where you are at is just fine. that is my goal 140-150. i dont want to get to thin, it just looks weird to me when i see super skinny women our age. all i want to do is hand them a brownie.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
The couple of times I got thin I had a a little trouble realizing I had lost enough to.
Have you tried the paper bag experiement, that is poking 2 holes in a paper bag
to see out of and placing it on your head. I heard this can give you a chance to see
your body as it is not distorted by what you expect to see.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
As a fellow 40 year old woman, I struggle with the same issue. My DH and DD's tell me I look great and don't need to lose anymore, but I am doing this for me to feel good about me. My original goal was 120 and I am 5'4", but as I'm gettin closer I realize that is way to low for me at this point in my life.
I am not a teenager anymore, I don't need to look like one. I am proud to be a woman now with curves!! We need to embrace that and not fall into the hollywood airbrush trap!! (Preaching to myself!!!)
That being said, I just want to be in the 120's so I figure 127 is very doable with a few pounds to cushion me so I don't creep back up. Kinda like 130 will be a brick wall that I won't let myself hit.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
You are done when YOU feel you are done, in my opinion. At 145 everyone told me I looked wonderful and I guess I did, BUT in my mind I wanted to be 135 so that is what I aimed for.

I didn't let it stress me out if I hadn't gotten to 135 because 145 WAS my original goal and I had made it. I just kept doing my UDs and DDs as I was suppose to and the weight kept coming off. Now I'm "stable" at 135, where I love being.

I will give you a piece of advice, if I may: Please try very hard to stick to your calorie ceilings and count those calories for both days, UDs, especially. This is where many of us get into trouble. When we come from a restrictive diet of any kind; daily calorie restriction, LC, WW, etc. and come to the JUDDD WOE we tend to over eat, especially in the beginning, because now we CAN have what we want and it's like the kid in the candy shop effect.

I am in maintenance and can have some FDs or MDs but I don't ( except holidays/birthday/special times) because I'm just too afraid of that runaway calorie train. Oh, I KNOW it will happen with me so I still count calories/measure food/track food, and the few times I didn't and went back to tally up what I had eaten I was that I had eaten way more than I thought, calorie wise. Even pouring my half and half freely turned into almost 1/4 cup instead of the 2 TBS I "thought" I was pouring. I was using WAY more calories than I thought!

I really don't like saying this BUT, in my opinion, we STILL need to track/measure/weigh/count, especially on UDs and especially until we really get this WOE under our belts. I know , but it's so much better than a not losing or being stuck at a weight we really wish we could get below. If you want to continue losing because YOU want to then stick to plan, be aware of how much you are eating, then the "magic" will continue for you.

HTH

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 11-24-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
There are some good points for you to consider here, for sure! The *rule of thumb* is for us to weigh 100 pounds at 5 feet and then add another 5 pounds for each additional inch we are over that. And then moderate that final goal number up or down a bit, depending on our own general build and bone mass and age and preferred look. Overall, this seems to have been thought a pretty accurate but generalized method to estimate a goal.
I had never heard of using a brown paper bag with eye holes in it to look at yourself, to get a good assessment of how you *really* look, and it gave me a little laugh when I read that.. thanks E.W., but I have a sack and will absolutely do this today when we get home from our bit dinner. In thinking about it, I believe it will truly work! Not seeing your own face helps us be able to judge the body reflected in the mirror more accurately.

I do agree that you need to get a handle on your UD eating if you are exceeding those calories by too much and too often. But not from the standpoint that they are really hurting anything for you right now, as you said you lost some on JUDDD when you'd not on the LC you formerly did. Here's my concern: Our calorie needs almost always diminish as we age, and one of the times we seem to notice that happening to us is in our 40s, as we enter our middle years. And here's the next thing that hits us between the eyes: Menopause often slows our metabolism terribly. Perhaps on JUDDD that won't happen to women.. I started JUDDD well after those years.

But if your metabolism also tends to slow as it does for other women, those extra calories will send you back into overweight. And then, what will you do? You are already on JUDDD, cutting your cals very, very low on your DDs. What would your next step be? To lower on UDs as well? So, wouldn't it be wonderful to just lower those Up Days at this time, back down to where they can be now.. and help ward off weight gain in your future from even happening to begin with. So that only a small tweak occasionally in your future years can keep you a slender woman for life.

So, now all you need to address is how to moderate your UD calorie numbers. We were talking about dividing your UDs into meals and snacks (if you eat them) of certain calorie numbers, as it's easier to do damage control if you go over on one meal you haven't - hopefully - gone over on every single meal and snack.

And there may well be some benefit in you upping your DD calories from the 500 you stick to at this time, but if you can't bring down your UD cals at the same time, you are putting yourself in a dangerous place.. perhaps of weight gain. If you're already overeating on your UDs, if you allow yourself an even higher calorie number on your DDs too, how do you plan to hold accurately to that number, while not adhering to any UD calorie ceiling?

Lots to think about here. Hopefully all of us have given you some ideas and good food for thought. For many, the UDs are the hardest because they give themselves permission to not plan very well, not measure foods, not track calories much, and so.. not doing the JUDDD plan very closely. That makes it harder for JUDDD to work as well for you as it could and would. Good luck as you wrestle with your options here. I know you will get this all straightened out and on track in a way that will make it all work for you better.

I think one of the troubles is that this happens to us most often when we are new and take our freedom to eat too over-the-top for awhile. Have to remember to keep telling ourselves that we don't have to eat it all in one day. We get to have it every UD for the rest of our lives. It's OK to leave some for another day.

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-24-2011 at 07:18 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
Well you are quite tall and I bet you look great at that weight. It's wonderful that your hubby is supportive and loves you just the way you are. It's all up to you if you like yourself the way you are or want to go a little lower. Maybe try tracking your calories for a week or 2, staying under your UD calories, and see what happens. If I didn't count, I'd probably eat 3000 calories every up day!

At around 112 pounds and 44 years old. I would be considered underweight. I would love to weigh more if I could add some muscle. I really need to get back into lifting weights and getting regular exercise. Unfortunately, my body composition is lousy. I have a really tiny frame and still have quite flabby thighs. I'm that skinny fat person that looks great in clothes and not so great naked. This will be my December goal - to start walking more, lifting my hand weights, and breaking out my Biggest Loser DVDs.

I remember being happy at 130 and 120, too but I just kept going because it wasn't that hard so why not? Also, my last boyfriend that I broke up with in September, had so many fat biases. He would never go out with a fat woman, etc. I never even told him that my highest weight used to be 194. We had dated for 15 months and I think all his biases did something to my mind.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by julietcc View Post
Well you are quite tall and I bet you look great at that weight. It's wonderful that your hubby is supportive and loves you just the way you are. It's all up to you if you like yourself the way you are or want to go a little lower. Maybe try tracking your calories for a week or 2, staying under your UD calories, and see what happens. If I didn't count, I'd probably eat 3000 calories every up day!

At around 112 pounds and 44 years old. I would be considered underweight. I would love to weigh more if I could add some muscle. I really need to get back into lifting weights and getting regular exercise. Unfortunately, my body composition is lousy. I have a really tiny frame and still have quite flabby thighs. I'm that skinny fat person that looks great in clothes and not so great naked. This will be my December goal - to start walking more, lifting my hand weights, and breaking out my Biggest Loser DVDs.

I remember being happy at 130 and 120, too but I just kept going because it wasn't that hard so why not? Also, my last boyfriend that I broke up with in September, had so many fat biases. He would never go out with a fat woman, etc. I never even told him that my highest weight used to be 194. We had dated for 15 months and I think all his biases did something to my mind.
Unhappily, this is pretty common. For every guy we see who likes the heavier women, we find a dozen who absolutely are turned off by the weight. I saw some study online once that talked about the absolute ideal woman men zeroed in on, and she was curvy, but sleek and slim curvy.. not plump curvy, and I always remember that when I read gals saying they *like their curves*.

But, to be perfectly truthful, we women are much the same and overall simply don't find the fat men as attractive to us as the leaner more muscular types. Far more women will be attracted to the Johnny Depp and George Clooney types than the John Candy types.

But I feel bad that your last boyfriend was outspoken enough about it that it hurt your mind. Although... You have got yourself to an absolutely exquisite and darling size and your appearance is just lovely! I'll bet you have a ball going clothes shopping and look great in about everything you try on!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Thanks everyone for your advice and input. I truly do have some thinking to do.

I may not be counting UD calories, but I'm sure it's around 2300-2400. I'm aiming for 1900-2000.

I am a very solid woman. I am "built" so to speak. I can deadlift 280 lbs and bench over 80 (in other words, I am freakishly strong for a woman, heehee). When playing ice hockey and another player bumps into me, they bounce off and fall to the ice while I am still standing

I think I'll start planning and measuring UDs until I get the hang of that calorie count. Once I've got that down, I'll start upping the DDs alittle. I go to bed hungry on DDs and wake up ravenous so it's kind of a bad start to the day (I start eating lots right away).

Thanks again for the feedback, the JUDDD community on this site is truley amazing.

Julie, good for you on kicking that guy to curb. He doesn't sound like much of a catch. My hubby really would have been happy even if I stayed at 172. His love for me has absolutely nothing to do w/my body...he fell in love w/my mind I sincerely hope that you can find that!!!
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote