Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mom22boys
Stats: 147/124.6/118 5'2"
WOE: Juddd & Low Carb
Start Date: Started Juddd 2/1/12
Help!

I am doing great on my DD but really struggling with the freedom of UD. I am aiming for 1700 but am ending up more like 2700!!! Regularly!!!

I am really enjoying not being VLC any more but think I may need to start cutting them again.

I have been doing this for 4 1/2 weeks now, added carbs back, went down, up, down, up.....and am now back at the weight I started at. I guess that is a good thing because I have had a great time eating junk!!!

I am not going to stress out about this until after Thanksgiving, but I need to find the motivation to stick to my limits starting Monday. Camping in the desert this weekend through a very stressful time and I am just going to have fun!

I think the peanuts are my problem. 1 serving turns into 3. Low carb made me love peanuts and now I can't let go
mom22boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
OK.. as you say, let's relax and enjoy this Holiday period for a few days, have a great time with your family, and starting this Monday, make it a time to reassess what you are doing, what you should be doing, and how to transition between the two so that you can find more success in JUDDDing from here on out.

It's such a simple plan, and so very successful when it's put into actual practice, but there are things that can throw a monkey wrench into the works, and overeating on UDs by TOO much is going to continue to be a problem for you if you are truly seeking weight loss at this time.

But I'll bet it's just a very few little things that can be tweaked to bring your calories down where they need to be on UDs, and then you will find yourself slimming down easily.

Have a great Thanksgiving, and I'm excited for Monday to come and for you to turn new eyes toward doing JUDDD in a way that will bring you great success and a whole lot of easy weight loss. Woo Hoo!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22boys View Post
I am doing great on my DD but really struggling with the freedom of UD. I am aiming for 1700 but am ending up more like 2700!!! Regularly!!!

I am really enjoying not being VLC any more but think I may need to start cutting them again.

I have been doing this for 4 1/2 weeks now, added carbs back, went down, up, down, up.....and am now back at the weight I started at. I guess that is a good thing because I have had a great time eating junk!!!

I am not going to stress out about this until after Thanksgiving, but I need to find the motivation to stick to my limits starting Monday. Camping in the desert this weekend through a very stressful time and I am just going to have fun!

I think the peanuts are my problem. 1 serving turns into 3. Low carb made me love peanuts and now I can't let go
I am in the same boat.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Nuts are the kiss of death for me, on any diet. I just can't control my portions with them.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
This is week two and I am testing various sources of carbs. This far they follow what I already knew about my triggers: pasta = hungry an hour later, and wake up hungry on DD, potato = feel full, no residual hunger. Next test is rice.

I plan to avoid trigger foods for a month or so, then test them again. According to the book, I expect the hunger response to vanish over time.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Well I am having this problem to. My dds are good. 500c 0r less. Today i am going to try to stay below 400c. And see if that helps. I'm just not sure on how to handle my uds, but I will keep trying.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #7

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22boys View Post

I could have written this verbatim! It seems I had better control when eating low carb but I chose this plan to have the freedom of eating anything, within cal limit but it's turned into a high carb/sugar feast. I'm with you on starting fresh, for me Sunday as an UD, hoping to stay within limits too.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #8
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I found that planning UD's really helps there. Use an online food tracker, there are a lot I prefer dailyplate, and plan a full UD and see what it leaves you, then you can fiddle with it from there
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I found that planning UD's really helps there. Use an online food tracker, there are a lot I prefer dailyplate, and plan a full UD and see what it leaves you, then you can fiddle with it from there
I've also had to do that. I wasted quite a few weeks on JUDDD, overeating UDs enough to cancel any benefit of my DDs.

I have 1600 calories UDs. So I basically plan 500-600 for lunch and dinner, and leave the rest available for a substantial snack, or larger meal if that's in the works. But I have to fight the overeating urge MUCH harder on my UDs than on my DDs (usually that is).
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

I also have to keep it lowcarb. Higher carbs (breads, pasta, sugar) do trigger my hunger beast.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #11

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
One of the things that we usually hope JUDDD will help us with is this *over-eating* response when we are faced with food and the relative freedom to eat anything we choose. And JUDDD can give us that help... but, of course, one of the requirements from us is that we have to be doing JUDDD. And if we're going too far above our calorie ceilings occasionally.. not often, but occasionally, that's not a *big deal*, and we'll be just fine, but if we exceed our calorie ceilings often enough, it's a lot harder for us to reasonably expect the benefits.

DDs are often easier because we plan them out ahead of time, often knowing exactly what we're going to eat and how much of it we're going to measure out to make up those calories. It's almost cut and dried.. how precise and methodical we can be about it. And once we've become adapted to the low calorie limits of those days, it's all so very easy. A pleasure even.

UDs can become almost that easy as well and certainly become and remain the delight they should be for us with just a little attention to even loose planning. Whatever your UD calorie ceiling should be, start with that number and break it down into calories per meal. So breakfast will be 400 calories, lunch will be 500 calories, afternoon snack will take another 200 calories, supper will be 600 calories, and an evening snack will be 300 calories... for a total of 2000 UD calories. But, of course, adapted to your own UD calorie number, and altered to fit the rhythm of your normal eating cycle. (For me, I could easily take that 400 calories for breakfast and add them to the 300 calories for evening snacking and give myself a whopping 700 calories of evening snacking, and still have the same calories to the day.. and be much happier! LOLOL)

Now, ideally you would still plan and weigh and measure and track your calories on the UDs. That will, of course, give you the best results with a diet plan of this type. After all, JUDDD is sort of based on those calories! So if you aren't going to do that part of following the plan, you may be a bit disappointed in the results. Truly, you can see the weight melt off of you while you are eating very, very well on your UDs, if you actually do this.

But let's say that you are just not going to be as careful at the calorie control on your UDs as you know you should be. Can you at least try to adhere to the *blocks of calories* concept for the most part? Even if you are lax about your calorie counting down to the nth degree, if you can *sort of* stay calorie-focused on the calorie-size of each of your meals on UDs, it should keep you within your number fairly reasonably, most of the time. And this may be good enough to give you the desired weight loss when it's combined with your good DDs.

Because here's the thing... one of the things that JUDDD can do for you -eventually - is to sort of normalize your appetite. But that takes a little while, and you have to be doing JUDDD first for that to kick in. But it's worth it for the rest of your life to get in the habit of NOT overeating, rather than allowing yourself to remain in the habit OF overeating.

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-23-2011 at 07:31 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Piccina
Stats: 130/111/100 (5'2")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: November 13/2011, restarted Feburary 25/2012
I can't eat nuts either. 300 calories for 1/3 of a cup? Sheesh. What about peanut butter? 1 tbsp is100 calories, add that to a peice of toast and even if you have 2 peices of toast, and 2 tbsp of peanut butter that's less than 350 calories. And that's without any fancy low carb/low calorie bread. But I don't know if bread with will coming off of VLC, as low carb has never been for me.
Planning out what I'm going to eat the day before has been helpful for me. I'll put in full meals and it almost never adds up to as much as I think it will, so that gives me room to add in a treat or something I've been craving while still getting in enough food so I don't feel deprived.

Last edited by Piccina; 11-23-2011 at 07:31 AM..
Piccina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Erikasmommy
Stats: 179/168/145
WOE: Juddd- just starting
Start Date: Started Juddd 10/20/11
I struggle with this as well. For me, I think the key has been realizing that if I want to lose weight I HAVE to keep it under control. I also started not allowing a free for all every up day- I allow myself something I have been really wanting 1 up day a week and the rest of my foods are basically just a spin on dd foods.. a higher calorie soup, some mayo on my sandwich, an extra cup of swiss miss diet hot chocolate (or 3 LOL). I do have mcdonalds breakfast once a week because I have missed it SO much and I also keep in mind it won't ALWAYS be this way, but it's what I have to do to lose. The choice is up to me. I know I can have lots more, but my weight will just stay the same. Hope that helps
Erikasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I am jealous! Most of my UDs have turned into MD or DD. I eat a light breakfast because I cannot handle more than that. Then, life starts happening and suddenly it is 6 or 7 in the evening, I am tired from taking care of elderly parents all day and I am cruising on DD appetite suppression. Eat? Eat 1300 or 1400 calories? Yuck.

In consequence, I neither gaining nor losing.

I'm thinking of taking up heavy drinking, just to get the calories in.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 11-23-2011 at 10:02 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
One of the things that we usually hope JUDDD will help us with is this *over-eating* response when we are faced with food and the relative freedom to eat anything we choose. And JUDDD can give us that help... but, of course, one of the requirements from us is that we have to be doing JUDDD. And if we're going too far above our calorie ceilings occasionally.. not often, but occasionally, that's not a *big deal*, and we'll be just fine, but if we exceed our calorie ceilings often enough, it's a lot harder for us to reasonably expect the benefits.

DDs are often easier because we plan them out ahead of time, often knowing exactly what we're going to eat and how much of it we're going to measure out to make up those calories. It's almost cut and dried.. how precise and methodical we can be about it. And once we've become adapted to the low calorie limits of those days, it's all so very easy. A pleasure even.

UDs can become almost that easy as well and certainly become and remain the delight they should be for us with just a little attention to even loose planning. Whatever your UD calorie ceiling should be, start with that number and break it down into calories per meal. So breakfast will be 400 calories, lunch will be 500 calories, afternoon snack will take another 200 calories, supper will be 600 calories, and an evening snack will be 300 calories... for a total of 2000 UD calories. But, of course, adapted to your own UD calorie number, and altered to fit the rhythm of your normal eating cycle. (For me, I could easily take that 400 calories for breakfast and add them to the 300 calories for evening snacking and give myself a whopping 700 calories of evening snacking, and still have the same calories to the day.. and be much happier! LOLOL)

Now, ideally you would still plan and weigh and measure and track your calories on the UDs. That will, of course, give you the best results with a diet plan of this type. After all, JUDDD is sort of based on those calories! So if you aren't going to do that part of following the plan, you may be a bit disappointed in the results. Truly, you can see the weight melt off of you while you are eating very, very well on your UDs, if you actually do this.

But let's say that you are just not going to be as careful at the calorie control on your UDs as you know you should be. Can you at least try to adhere to the *blocks of calories* concept for the most part? Even if you are lax about your calorie counting down to the nth degree, if you can *sort of* stay calorie-focused on the calorie-size of each of your meals on UDs, it should keep you within your number fairly reasonably, most of the time. And this may be good enough to give you the desired weight loss when it's combined with your good DDs.

Because here's the thing... one of the things that JUDDD can do for you -eventually - is to sort of normalize your appetite. But that takes a little while, and you have to be doing JUDDD first for that to kick in. But it's worth it for the rest of your life to get in the habit of NOT overeating, rather than allowing yourself to remain in the habit OF overeating.
Wow, Pat. That's such great advice. I'm trying to find my UD groove, too, and the concept of blocking the calories will be very helpful.
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I am jealous! Most of my UDs have turned into MD or DD. I eat a light breakfast because I cannot handle more than that. Then, life starts happening and suddenly it is 6 or 7 in the evening, I am tired from taking care of elderly parents all day and I am cruising on DD appetite suppression. Eat? Eat 1300 or 1400 calories? Yuck.
Wondering if you could pack a few snacks or prepare them in advance? If you could eat a little snack every couple hours, it might increase your appetite?

People like to add fat to increase calories, but I have found that suppresses my appetite more than anything. But a fruit or veggie (or even a few carbs) gets my appetite worked up.

Good luck - I know you don't want your metabolism to stall out...
Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mom22boys
Stats: 147/124.6/118 5'2"
WOE: Juddd & Low Carb
Start Date: Started Juddd 2/1/12
Thanks so much for the great ideas!! I do know this will work for me. Even though I have been on a roller coaster I am down 1 pound from my starting day and feel smaller. It must be the water weight I gained back after adding carbs+ some fat lost.
mom22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/161.8/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
Quote:
This is week two and I am testing various sources of carbs. This far they follow what I already knew about my triggers: pasta = hungry an hour later, and wake up hungry on DD, potato = feel full, no residual hunger. Next test is rice.

I plan to avoid trigger foods for a month or so, then test them again. According to the book, I expect the hunger response to vanish over time.
I'm the same with potatoes, they actually do help me feel full and I don't wake up starving. I do eat a little rice, I keep the portiion small, so far no problem with it, But pasta, forget it.
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
I could have written this verbatim! It seems I had better control when eating low carb but I chose this plan to have the freedom of eating anything, within cal limit but it's turned into a high carb/sugar feast. I'm with you on starting fresh, for me Sunday as an UD, hoping to stay within limits too.
Same here. It's been 8 weeks since starting JUDDD and I lost 4 in the first week!! Then I stalled for 3 weeks, lost again for a week, and now stalled again for a week
I can tell that it's still much better than if I wasn't JUDDDing, because I'm only going back and forth one lb or two. And I'm ABSOLUTELY sure it's because I'm not staying on track every day-- sometimes I go over on DDs and sometimes on UDs. I'm so angry with myself.
Thank you Pat, for your understanding words of wisdom. I NEEEEDDDDD to get my weight to a manageable place, and I KNOW this is the way to go, especially because of the added health benefits. We'll all get there!
THANKS ALL and HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #20

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:

I'm thinking of taking up heavy drinking, just to get the calories in.
Nancy, I love you.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #21
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I, too plan my meals around blocks of calories for UDs and especially for DDs. I will give myself for DDs 125 calories for breakfast, 150 for lunch and 100 for snacks. That leaves me with around 325 or a little more calories for dinner.

Sometimes I don't eat the amount that I am aiming for and if I don't get to that 125 number for breakfast, let's say, I will actually move those calories to another meal or my snack category. If I eat too much in any given meal than I just adjust the calories from another meal or snack and eat a smaller lunch or dinner or less snacks for the day.

I do the same for UDs with more calories, of course, for each meal and it sure keeps me honest and on track this way. Planning meals, even eating out, is easier because I know I can have X number of calories for that meal. Takes the "guess work" out of whether I'm eating enough or too much!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 11-23-2011 at 08:31 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
I do the same as Linda, try to break it up. I also find that as long as i evenly split carbs/protein and fat that i am good on a UD. if i do carbs without any fat it seems to spike the cravings. i also let myself have treats but remind myself that just one treat is enough.

as a matter of a fact i have had a double decker cupcake in the fridge since last friday because there were other treats i wanted more. i was thinking i would have it tomorrow, but i think i may just give it to my kids and use my calories on other yummy thanksgiving things.

it will get easier, it is all a mindset and still watching your calories just you have a bigger allowance on UD's.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
this block technique sounds great....i'm still again day 1 DD and like a sponge soaking this ALLLLL in....thanks for the great tips....i too am a NUT when it comes to nuts....peanut butter in particular is my weakness but the idea of toast and pb sandwich not being more than 350 cal is almost bringing a tear of joy to my eye....that could be a great lunch!!! vlc for sooooo long i forgot about pb sandwichs...JOY!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Put me in the boat with the other UD pre-planners.

I do the best on my UDs when I type things into my tracker BEFORE I eat them. Then I can look at what "x" food does to my calories and decide if I want it or not...or if I want to just reduce how much of it I eat. I did this for thanksgiving the other day, and my calories were great (until I ate more later in anticipation of an all-night shopping spree). But, by putting in all my anticipated t-day goodies into my tracker, I adjusted the amounts of a couple of things so I didn't blow out my calories.

Today was another UD for me, and I did a thanksgiving-style dinner here...by tracking ahead of time, I landed at 1799 calories. I aim for 1800-1850. But, that's just what works for me. Good luck!!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote