Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
What to do with leftover DD calories?

Still a newbie here...
Right now, I am around 500/1800 for my DD/UD calories, but most (well, all) of the time, I do not hit either number. The highest DD I have had so far (started JUDDD 11/13) is 406 cals. I don't need anymore than that, and often, I eat much less and I am perfectly satisfied.

Anyway, my question is-Should I use any "leftover" calories from my DD on my UD? Or just start new with 1800 the next day?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Nope, if you don't need them just let them go. The book suggests fasting on DD's is best, but it's not doable for many people, that's why there's a DD calorie assignment. Or that's my understanding of it
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Dottie. I was wondering how I would cram more food in...lol. Heck, I can't get all my UD calories in as it is now!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
That's how I understand it, as well. JUDDDers should try to stay as low under 500 as possible on DDs, because the "original" plan would be to actually fast completely on those days. But, Dr. J. said that would be too difficult for most people. (I'd say that's probably correct!)
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
On a side note, it's been mentioned to me that you do want to eat as many UD calories as allowed.
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by handbells View Post
On a side note, it's been mentioned to me that you do want to eat as many UD calories as allowed.
Yes!! You don't have to eat all your DD calories, but it is advisable to eat up to or at least close to your UD calories for the plan to work it's best and so you won't be hungry on your DDs.

It's the science of JUDDD and one that works well when worked as suggested!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. If my daily rate is 1250 calories, then I should be spreading 2500 calories over two days....Is that correct? Because I am not getting very close to that. I can always try to up my UD calories a bit.
Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmama View Post
Thanks everyone. If my daily rate is 1250 calories, then I should be spreading 2500 calories over two days....Is that correct? Because I am not getting very close to that. I can always try to up my UD calories a bit.
Thanks for all the help!
OK, I'm confused. How did you get your daily rate calories? Did you use the JUDDD calorie calculator on the JUDDD site and maybe a few more to get an average? Or is this the calories you think you should be having daily? This will help us to understand what your calories for you UDs and DDs should be.

Look here for the calculator info: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...lculators.html
Old 11-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
It is a little different .. how we come to the calorie numbers for our Up Days.

That UD calorie number is what it takes to maintain us, maintain our body weight with no gain or loss for that day. It is a day we are not on a diet. Our calories that day are for our pleasure, to provide our nutrients and fuel, and to signal our brain that we are eating well.. so well, in fact, that our metabolism can be boosted.

But our UD calories are only the number that is required for our absolute maintenance for a single day.

Did you find that correct calorie number for yourself by using the JUDDD calorie calculator? And another calculator or two as well?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I used the average for the two websites other than the JUDDD website (I know theirs can be "off"). One said 1138 and the other said 1360. It seemed 1250 was right in the middle. I am 5'8" and 41. I really appreciate all the help here...I've lost 7 lbs in 10 days, so I guess I am doing something right, yay...lol. I can literally feel the fat melting off, no joke. I get thinner every day. I LOVE JUDDD!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Pat!!! I get it now. That is a good explanation. I will stick with -500/1800. It sure is like magic!

Last edited by mattsmama; 11-22-2011 at 06:43 PM..
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmama View Post
Thanks Pat!!! I get it now. That is a good explanation. I will stick with -500/1800. It sure is like magic!
This ^^^ sounds like magic numbers to me, also!! And Pat always knows how to explain much better than the rest of us!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

You ladies are the BEST!!! Thank you
Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #14

Hmmm... I still don't quite understand how you got your numbers. These are your stat numbers I plugged into the JUDDD site and the Freedieting site:

female, age 41... 5'8" tall and 149 pounds (from your avatar stats) little exercise

JUDDD gave you an UD calorie number of 1717 calories. The Freedieting site comes up with 1669 calories for you on maintenance.

So, you would probably expect to be having about 1700 calories on your Up Days. And you said you are using 1800 calories for your UDs, so real close.

It sounds like you are having great success, and we sure do want that to continue for you! It's hard to think of many things more exciting right now than some real good weight loss!

So we have to keep reminding ourselves that we are trying to accomplish two things at the same time while we JUDDD. First, that weight loss is always right before our eyes! So holding our DDs to real low cals accomplishes that for us pretty well. If you can hold to that 500 number or even lower, fabulous! (It took me awhile to work down to it. LOL)

But then the other thing we'd hope to make happen for us is to increase the burn rate of our metabolism.. make it operate at a faster pace, rev it up, so that it will keep us from ever getting fat again in our futures. Most of us have got our metabolic rate so darned low that we can't ever eat all that much before we start gaining weight again. We want JUDDD to repair that little problem for us at the same time we're also losing weight. Hence, we usually try to eat most of our UD calories if we can. It's how we signal our body that we are in a time of plenty, and our brain can stimulate our metabolism to run lavishly.

If we hold UD calories down low too, in addition to low DD calories, we end up with a really, really slowwwww metabolism. Just the opposite of what we want.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
The calories I set for myself are 1800 and 600. I usually don't make it to 600 on DD. But on up days I sometimes go over the 1800. My theory is that if the days average out 1200 then I'm doing OK. It might be even be better that sometimes I have days at 500 and 1900, for example, because the calorie spread is even greater between the 2.

What do you all think?

Since I started October 26, my average calories have been 1180 so it's working out pretty well and I have reached my goal weight. I guess I'm one of those people that "borrow" leftover DD calories for other up days
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietcc View Post
The calories I set for myself are 1800 and 600. I usually don't make it to 600 on DD. But on up days I sometimes go over the 1800. My theory is that if the days average out 1200 then I'm doing OK. It might be even be better that sometimes I have days at 500 and 1900, for example, because the calorie spread is even greater between the 2.

What do you all think?

Since I started October 26, my average calories have been 1180 so it's working out pretty well and I have reached my goal weight. I guess I'm one of those people that "borrow" leftover DD calories for other up days
Yeah, in maintenance I have to agree that we are freer to JUDDD in a more *relaxed* manner. And I agree with you about keeping the spread between the UD and DD calorie numbers a bit bigger more often than not, rather than bringing those DD calories up so far.

Number one, it just allows us to enjoy higher UDs if we keep lower DDs, and I really do take full advantage of those allowances most every UD. It does seem to keep the metabolism perking right along.

In maintenance, you might even up those calories a bit more, and a bit more, to test just where exactly that upper limit really is. Sometimes we have got ourselves to a point where we can increase both our UD and DD numbers a bit and still maintain quite reliably.

Or not. And then you just back off again.

But for weight loss still? I'd keep my DD cals as low as I could, and if I didn't use them all on my DD, I'd flush them! I'd never carry them forward. DD calories are a *use 'em or lose 'em* sort of thing, and any I could finish my evening without eating just helped hurry up the weight loss.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

But for weight loss still? I'd keep my DD cals as low as I could, and if I didn't use them all on my DD, I'd flush them! I'd never carry them forward. DD calories are a *use 'em or lose 'em* sort of thing, and any I could finish my evening without eating just helped hurry up the weight loss.
Thanks, Pat. I agree with you here. People looking for weight loss probably shouldn't be borrowing from their unspent DD calories. I like your *use 'em or lose 'em* mentality . They will certainly see greater results by following this!

For me in maintenance, I'll have the fun of testing my numbers and going up higher in calories on my up days. I'm leaving my DD number alone. The science experiment will happen AFTER Thanksgiving because that will be the one day I won't be counting calories!
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #18

Have a great Thanksgiving, Julie!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #19

Sitting here waiting for those evil Smore Chocolate Chip cookies to finish baking (OH YES, I made them but quarters the Smore ingredients to make a smaller cookie! ) I've been reading this thread and I too think of my unused calories on either day as a forfeit type of thing, I either use them or lose them. It just seems to have worked well for me this way, keeping it simple to remember, day by day, just how many calories I should be eating without adding to the next day from what is left over.

BUT, if anyone wants to give me their unused calories for Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve dinner, I'll take them off your hands!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
BUT, if anyone wants to give me their unused calories for Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve dinner, I'll take them off your hands!!

Nahhhh...I'm gonna gobble those up myself!!
But thanks for the generous offer!!