Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Piccina
Stats: 130/111/100 (5'2")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: November 13/2011, restarted Feburary 25/2012
Having Trouble with UD Calories

So, I just started JUDD last Monday. According to the JUDD website, my up day calories should be just under 1700 and my down day calories should be just over 300. However, I'm also breastfeeding a 15 month old, which means I do need a few more calories, so I'm aimed my up days at 1500-2000. Last week all my up days were 1900-2100, and all my down days were 300 max. I lost a lot of weight. Yesterday was an up day and I stuck to 1500... today I'm hungrier than I have EVER been on a down day, I can barely function. I gave in and am eating my 260 calorie lean cuisine right now, and I don't know if that will last me til the end of the day. I don't want to raise my DD calories because I think keeping them low is why I had so much success my first week... so what should I do? Should I keep my UDs at 2000 even though the calculator says less than that? WWYD?
Piccina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Just my opinion, but I'd go 600-700 on DD's since you're breastfeeding. I couldn't imagine trying to stick to that low of calories while your body needs fuel for you and the baby.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Oh, I should mention she eats 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, so I think still nursing for her is more of a comfort/habit/connection thing than actually needing the calories. She still nurses A LOT, but she also eats a lot of 'real' food. She's a piggy - she almost always eats more than my 4 year old haha.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Because you are "feeding" 2 I would maybe do my calories at 600 and 1900/2000 and see how that goes. You need to eat a good calorie gap between the 2 days for JUDDD to work it's magic but you also need to eat to feed that wonderful angel.

Your weight loss may slow down a bit, but you will feel better, I'm sure.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
I agree, at least 600 calories on DDs. It's not just calories that go into milk, it's nutrients, and I can't imagine you're getting that many on 300 calories, or in Lean Cuisine! I have a few friends who have lost a lot of hair and even a tooth or two when breastfeeding, so please make sure you are getting lots of vitamins and calcium and really nutrient-dense food even on DDs--vibrantly-colored veggies like kale and winter squash and beets, eggs and protein, homemade bone broth and soup if you have time--I know you might not have much time!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-22-2011 at 06:40 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccina View Post
So, I just started JUDD last Monday. According to the JUDD website, my up day calories should be just under 1700 and my down day calories should be just over 300. However, I'm also breastfeeding a 15 month old, which means I do need a few more calories, so I'm aimed my up days at 1500-2000. Last week all my up days were 1900-2100, and all my down days were 300 max. I lost a lot of weight. Yesterday was an up day and I stuck to 1500... today I'm hungrier than I have EVER been on a down day, I can barely function. I gave in and am eating my 260 calorie lean cuisine right now, and I don't know if that will last me til the end of the day. I don't want to raise my DD calories because I think keeping them low is why I had so much success my first week... so what should I do? Should I keep my UDs at 2000 even though the calculator says less than that? WWYD?
For myself, my choices here would depend on where I was in the nursing of my child. If you are close to being done with breastfeeding, and it's almost time for a sippy cup anyway, I'd just get going with JUDDD at a little higher calorie level.. that is 1900/2000 UDs and 600/700 DDs, and see if that gave me a balance between some weight loss and still producing enough milk for my baby.

I'd sure not cut UD calories down as low as 1500 for two reasons at this time. You sound like you're not ready to lose your milk supply, and I'd be afraid that 1500 calories might diminish your milk supply, and also, since you're still nursing, I think that calorie number isn't enough to fuel you well into your next DD. If UDs aren't very good, it just makes our next DD harder to do sometimes.

If you don't see weight loss at these numbers but milk supply is still good, ease back a bit.. say down 100 UD cals and 50 DD cals, and see how that does for you.

We do have a couple of other JUDDD women who are nursing mothers. I hope they will see this and give you some of their thoughts. I believe they are both successful here.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I don't see her weaning immediately - she drinks water, and occassionally juice from a sippy cup, but I can easily see her going for at least another half a year on the breast. Her sister nursed until 2, and their nursing patterns are similar at the same ages. I totally screwed up today. I just couldn't ignore the hunger and I finally caved and just decided to make this an UD, and I'll do a proper down day tomorrow at 600 calories. I'm hoping I can still see a steady loss with higher numbers, but I guess there's no rush and I'll have to do a bit of tinkering to see what numbers are liveable for me, but also allow me to lose. Thanks ladies!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
I don't see her weaning immediately - she drinks water, and occassionally juice from a sippy cup, but I can easily see her going for at least another half a year on the breast. Her sister nursed until 2, and their nursing patterns are similar at the same ages. I totally screwed up today. I just couldn't ignore the hunger and I finally caved and just decided to make this an UD, and I'll do a proper down day tomorrow at 600 calories. I'm hoping I can still see a steady loss with higher numbers, but I guess there's no rush and I'll have to do a bit of tinkering to see what numbers are liveable for me, but also allow me to lose. Thanks ladies!
Yeah, I think you'll just have to tinker around with your numbers a bit to find out what UD/DD numbers give you the balance you need right now... some weight loss, no loss of milk quantity for your baby, and ample calories to keep you feeling reasonably content on your DDs, and a big enough spread between your UD and DD numbers to stimulate your metabolism at the same time JUDDD is giving you some weight loss. Best wishes!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
YES!!! THIS^^^^ is the idea and flexibility of our wonderful JUDDD! You CAN do this, and still loss weight, lots of us have (me) and it definitely needs to be a "livable" WOE or it just won't last long. Take care of you and baby, up those numbers like you plan so you aren't hungry and let JUDDD work it's magic on you. You got all the time in the world!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote