Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Walden Foods: flavored wood pulp?

I'm not being facetious, and if you WF I'm certainly not trying to give you any grief!!!

But I was checking the ingredients, wondering if I could make my own version of anything (because I like making things from scratch! especially if it's cheaper and not too much extra work) and what kind of fiber or whatever they use in their products--cuz fiber is the about the only bulky "food" in the world, that I can think of, that has no calories--and noticed that cellulose and cellulose gel are ingredients in all the products I looked at.

Well, cellulose is made from "virgin wood pulp" and/or cotton!
15 Food Companies That Serve You 'Wood' - TheStreet

I think it might be possible/interesting to come up with homemade versions using things like glucomannan, xanthan gum, chia gel, and/or polydextrose (I cannot find out what this is made from, ha ha! might be worse than cellulose) and DaVinci syrups or other flavorings/sweeteners.
For example, I recently made a pretty good "jam" with grated chayote, Torani blackberry syrup, and some Poly-D, and cooked it down til it thickened. Low-cal and much better flavor/texture than commercial SF jams!!!

Also, anything that is less than 5 calories per serving can be labeled as "zero calories". So, if you made a serving size small enough, even butter could be "zero calories"!
I did notice their servings are usually 2 tablespoons, which is good!
So, does anyone estimate a serving to be 4 or 5 calories, just to be on the safe side?
That still wouldn't make a big difference, probably, unless you have 20 WF servings a day!

Again, I'm not bashing WF or questioning anyone who enjoys it!
It's just been on my mind for a few weeks...
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I'm not being facetious, and if you WF I'm certainly not trying to give you any grief!!!

But I was checking the ingredients, wondering if I could make my own version of anything (because I like making things from scratch! especially if it's cheaper and not too much extra work) and what kind of fiber or whatever they use in their products--cuz fiber is the about the only bulky "food" in the world, that I can think of, that has no calories--and noticed that cellulose and cellulose gel are ingredients in all the products I looked at.

Well, cellulose is made from "virgin wood pulp" and/or cotton!
15 Food Companies That Serve You 'Wood' - TheStreet

I think it might be possible/interesting to come up with homemade versions using things like glucomannan, xanthan gum, chia gel, and/or polydextrose (I cannot find out what this is made from, ha ha! might be worse than cellulose) and DaVinci syrups or other flavorings/sweeteners.
For example, I recently made a pretty good "jam" with grated chayote, Torani blackberry syrup, and some Poly-D, and cooked it down til it thickened. Low-cal and much better flavor/texture than commercial SF jams!!!

Also, anything that is less than 5 calories per serving can be labeled as "zero calories". So, if you made a serving size small enough, even butter could be "zero calories"!
I did notice their servings are usually 2 tablespoons, which is good!
So, does anyone estimate a serving to be 4 or 5 calories, just to be on the safe side?
That still wouldn't make a big difference, probably, unless you have 20 WF servings a day!

Again, I'm not bashing WF or questioning anyone who enjoys it!
It's just been on my mind for a few weeks...
and so "food (or not food) for thought!

Thanks PJ and I often wonder about the WF stuff, too but I still use some of it. Like the bacon ranch dressing, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, and a few other products but I use these so seldom I just don't worry. I also don't count any calories. Zero is a good thing, so I just make it zero. I'm not using a full serving of this stuff anyway, at any giving time, so I'm OK with the zero.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I assume cellulose counts as non-soluble fiber?

I never have figured out how I feel about the number of prepared foods that use supplement with wood fiber. Part of me is sure humankind has been nibbling on trees since time immemorial. Part of me goes, "Yuck". I guess I worry more about hidden sugars, HFCS, and gluten.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artsyfartsy
Stats: 120/112.5/110-lost 30lbs. prior
WOE: Low Carb Fusion
WF is so over processed scary stuff. I think people convince themselves that it's good tasting or acceptable enough. NOT!

Too many fake foods out there!
artsyfartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I have never bought any WF products. I seen it in stories. I just wonder how can it be zero calories and be good for you. Just my thinking.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I think added cellulose has been in lots of our products for decades.. no? I normally prefer my cellulose in it's own little wrapper, like the normal cellulose in my fruits and veggies, in my broccoli or my carrots, but I also don't care if they take some from outside sources.

Truthfully, I'd love it if I could buy bags of the stuff, like sacks of flour, so I could add slight amounts of it to bulk up certain foods at 0 calories.. like grinding the husks of the psyllium seeds, which are also undigestible by our gut.

Maybe I could make a sawdust muffin!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
When it's blatantly in a diet product to keep the calories low, I suppose most people know what they're paying for...or at least, willing to not know!

But when it's used in hundreds of products as a way for the manufacturers to stretch real ingredients and save money--it's not the only way to improve texture, but probably the cheapest--it seems a bit of a rip-off to me. We're paying for food and getting a percentage of non-food!

And, I've never shopped for it before, but I just looked it up (on Amazon) and cellulose is available as a fiber supplement. Or, you could just save those biodegradable packing peanuts!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Yeah, apparently it's been in practice for many decades. I remember another spate of *We are being fed wood* making the rounds years ago too. I think this is just the most current round of it hitting the media.

Avoiding commercially manufactured food choices should cut most of the added cellulose ingredients for folks, if they are alarmed. They may feel more comfortable just ingesting their cellulose in the form of their own fruit and vegetable choices.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote