Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
So upset I could scream!

Had a perfect down day yesterday, dreamed up waking up at 143, or 144, only to see 146.4! That's right! A pound and a half GAIN after a DOWN DAY?!? How in the heck is that even possible???!!! It freaking DEFIES THE LAWS OF PHYSICS! I am so pissed off I can hardly contain myself.
Last week I had no loss on Saturday, but it was hormone related. Today? NO EXCUSE! No reason! I just don't get it. 1135 calories is my daily average. WTH?!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
I know that can be very frustrating. Do you keep track of all cals on DDs AND UDs? I didn't lose anything for three weeks, and then Beeb and Pat told me to keep track of every cal on my UDs because I was probably eating more calories than I thought I was (true )
Once I did that, I started losing.
I'm sure some other fellow JUDDDers will have some other suggestions. Don't be discouraged! You'll find your "groove."
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hey Speck Sometimes it does seem like there's no rhyme nor reason to it.

I used to not track my gains and fluctuations, only record losses, just because it bothered me too much to see the # go up at all. But I've been able to start taking the gains in stride, knowing they are temporary if I stick to the plan. And this week I did start recording everything for better knowledge of how the scale moves for me on JUDDD.

Anyway, I know what you are experiencing, because I have gained after DD too. In fact, I usually drop weight after UD and maintain or gain after DD, but not always.

I dropped 3# after an UD this week and then gained those 3# back after a DD.

I know you are disappointed, I'm so sorry.

Have you noticed consistent downward trend in weight despite the bounces up?
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
All things are possible within the human body, and don't we know it.

Sorry you feel so frustrated but look at the bigger picture. You have broken your stall, you are eating all kinds of good food and only have to restrict you calories every other day.

You know this works you are 5 'real' pounds down, today was just a blip. We do blips, we are humans.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
WOE: JUDDD
What are your UP and DOWN day numbers Speck?
Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
Try not to stress, could be your body freaking out by the calorie restriction. I have had that happen twice in the last four weeks. After a DD i was up 2 lbs. Then the next UD I was so upset that I went over my UD calories by a couple hundred and those 2 lbs plus 1 came off. Just focus on fueling your body with healthy clean food today and make sure you are not hungry and stay satisfied all day and hope that your body gets the picture that you are NOT starving to death and will let it go.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
I also go up sometimes after a DD! it is so annoying, especially when you feel all slim and lighter!

My theory is I eat a lot more fiber on a DD..gluc, oat fiber, veggies etc... I think the fiber tends to stay in my system for a day or so..which is why I lose on an UD morning...when it all leaves!

Also, on a DD...you arnt eating very much...sometimes not enough to give your body the "urge" to empty the next day...so you are weighing the previous days food too!

After a good UD's eating, you are able to "go" properly...taking the DD and UD food with you!

Just my theory! Keep a daily graph of your weightloss....and you will soon see lots of unexplained ups and down...but with an overall downwards trend...I have done this, and it is very reassuring!

big hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I have a similar experience as Joedi...
I don't go to the bathroom much after a DD.
Psyllium fiber, especially, seems to make me "gain" alarmingly, albeit temporarily.
ETA: Lately on DDs I have been mostly eating veggie soup, scrambled egg whites, ham or turkey cold cuts, a little low-fat dairy,
but not experimenting with psyllium & glucomannan so much, and my weight seems more predictable.

And (I'm just speculating here), perhaps our bodies do hold on to weight during that day of calorie restriction,
(I'm sure we burn a little fat on DDs, and I've heard that the cells temporarily fill up with water)
then think, "Oh, everything's okay!" when we re-feed on an UD, and let it go!

I know frequent weighing isn't ideal for everyone, but I weigh at night right before I go to bed so that I don't get a disappointing shock in the morning.
If my weight's the same as or up a couple pounds from the previous night, I'm prepared; but sometimes I get a pleasant surprise!

Sorry you are feeling frustrated and I hope you feel less annoyed soon!
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-19-2011 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: ETA
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I have no logical reason to believe this but I do think our bodies grab onto whatever water they can just before a loss. Kind of like hording water in our cells. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see you drop that gain + a pound or 2 tomorrow!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Administrator

Sorry should have read the other responses first. AT least we all agree!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I have a similar experience as Joedi...
I don't go to the bathroom much after a DD.
Psyllium fiber, especially, seems to make me "gain" alarmingly, albeit temporarily.
ETA: Lately on DDs I have been mostly eating veggie soup, scrambled egg whites, ham or turkey cold cuts, a little low-fat dairy,
but not experimenting with psyllium & glucomannan so much, and my weight seems more predictable.

And (I'm just speculating here), perhaps our bodies do hold on to weight during that day of calorie restriction,
(I'm sure we burn a little fat on DDs, and I've heard that the cells temporarily fill up with water)
then think, "Oh, everything's okay!" when we re-feed on an UD, and let it go!

I know frequent weighing isn't ideal for everyone, but I weigh at night right before I go to bed so that I don't get a disappointing shock in the morning.
If my weight's the same as or up a couple pounds from the previous night, I'm prepared; but sometimes I get a pleasant surprise!

Sorry you are feeling frustrated and I hope you feel less annoyed soon!
I think this is a great idea, PJenny!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinjob
Stats: 157/156/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: November 7, 2011 (Did Atkins first in 2001)
This happens to me too. I gain after DDs but lose after UDs! Don't worry. It'll come off!
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I have read on several posts that today's weight does not always/really reflect yesterday's meals. Thank you for the graphic example of what that means. The newbie team is now prepared and promises not to cry when our time comes. You have not suffered in vain!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 11-19-2011 at 11:49 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I agree with everyone and here is my experience and hope it helps:

I have had gains of up to 2 pounds after a DD BUT the UD before was very salty, lots of grain fiber, and a few drinks! SO, I didn't see the gain after the UD but 2 days later, which is following a DD.

THEN after the next UD and then the following DD I have seen a crazy loss of those 2 pounds PLUS another 1/1.5. This just happened this week and I was like when I got on the scale.

Don't , just keep doing the great job you are and let things "settle". It could be anything, including the 3 S brothers (see thread with same title).

Hang in Speck and wait and see what happens after your next DD! I think you may be surprised!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks all.
This was the first time in the month I have been doing this that I have seen a gain after a down day. I have been predictably losing, and have lost 5 pounds the last month. I eat pretty much the same thing on down days. I track and count and stay pretty darn close to my 1700 up and 600 down calories. I didn't eat anything excessively salty this week. I did have some frozen yogurt on Thursday. I've never seen a gain show up 2 days later. Whatever the reason, and only God knows what it is, I'm retaining water like crazy.
Thanks again for the kindness, support and suggestions.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I ALWAYS have a gain after a DD, so I stopped weighing myself on those mornings. It's too upsetting.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
I think there is something to the theory that your body holds on to water or fat on a DD and then during an up day, it sees it's ok to release. I had a great down day yesterday (453 cals) and was a little disappointed this morning when the scale said 114.8. I proceeded to have my coffee and half and half, a piece of apple pie, and yogurt (650 calories worth of food). I've been peeing all morning and now, 5 hours later, the scale says 114! Hang in there. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with the weight fluctuations.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
My scale is not my friend either! I do not step on it often as it depresses me! Just try not to step on the #$%$#&% thing!!! Also did you visit the "smallest room in the house" today? That could be the reason too!

Just stick with this WOE as I know it will work for you too!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FremenChick
Stats: 152/152/?
WOE: JUDDD + low-carb paleo
I have been at this for only a week and I have done nothing but gain. But I could swear my abs are more visible and I just feel slimmer in lots of places, so I'm not too bothered.
FremenChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremenChick View Post
I have been at this for only a week and I have done nothing but gain. But I could swear my abs are more visible and I just feel slimmer in lots of places, so I'm not too bothered.
Water retention? Adding high carb or sodium foods back too fast?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #22

Just checking in with Speck and wondering how things are going for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
My scale is not my friend either! I do not step on it often as it depresses me! Just try not to step on the #$%$#&% thing!!! Also did you visit the "smallest room in the house" today? That could be the reason too!

Just stick with this WOE as I know it will work for you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremenChick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Water retention? Adding high carb or sodium foods back too fast?
FremenChick, I would like to agree with Dottie here and I'm really glad you are noticing your body changes! Sometimes the scale doesn't tell us the whole story of what is happening with our weight loss/body changes!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Yeah it's no bigee. It is probably just more glycogen+water storage from more carbs. I actually fluctuate a good deal but it is rare to see the scale climb steadily rather than flap. The scale says I gained about 4 lbs. If it were actual fat stored that would mean having eaten the equivalent of *at least* 4lbs of raw fat in a week. So yeah, naw, that's not what happened.

I am settling in now. The novelty of basically, "eat a ton of food in one day" is wearing off. I'll back off on the carbs this week. I expect to see my weight drop a little by Sunday.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #24
Administrator

lol I understand that Once you get beyond the "OMG I have to eat everything today!" aspect, it evens out to "shoot, I can have that the day after tomorrow"
Old 11-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Just checking in with Speck and wondering how things are going for you?
That's sweet of you to check on me
I'm OK. Still up after my up and medium day weekend. Today is a down day and I hope to at least be back to where I was by this Saturday.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
That's sweet of you to check on me
I'm OK. Still up after my up and medium day weekend. Today is a down day and I hope to at least be back to where I was by this Saturday.
I KNOW you will get back down and I'm looking forward to seeing your post about it VERY soon!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I had a BAD UD, not-so-good MD, and okay DD and was up 1 lb (from the weight before those three days). Then after the next day (a UD), I was up 2 lbs., then the next day, a DD, I was down 2 lbs. So, I just maintained, but with the calorie overage of two days in a row, it still came back off. No rhyme or reason, really. I'm just trying to stick w/it and I believe all the very supportive people in here who keep telling me to stick w/it!!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Ha ha just as I suspected. I am now down 2 lbs since Monday and that is weighing the day after an Up Day. I peed a lot, yesterday
Old 11-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myhnabird
Stats: 229/222/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-start - Nov25/13
Threadjack @ piratejenny -

288.8-266 is a 22.8 lb loss, not 12.8. Holy cow, girl! You rawk!!!!

Mary
myhnabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhnabird View Post
Threadjack @ piratejenny -

288.8-266 is a 22.8 lb loss, not 12.8. Holy cow, girl! You rawk!!!!

Mary

Gah!!! I wish!!! That was a typo!!!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote