Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
I have a question..

that is probably a stupid one...
Since this is the best WOE (or diet, if you want to call it that), and the success rate is so high when followed correctly, there are no forbidden foods, there are tons of health benefits aside from losing weight--why haven't I heard about this years ago? Why haven't most of the people I know ever heard of it? why is it not publicized more? Where's all the TV docs w/shows and stuff singing its praises??
Just wondering...
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
When I was in middle school. i had this friend She was on a diet one day she fasted the whole day. The next day she ate what she wanted. People told her it wouldn't work and that it was bad for her.

Not as I think back that girl was on to something.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/118/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I like this WOE and wonder why, why, why too!

leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Best I can figure, it's because there are no forbidden foods or touted "miracle" foods that must be included (unless you count the resveratrol, but that's iffy too), so they can't make much money off it. What I mean is, they haven't come up with a JUDDD line of frozen dinners or shakes. For whatever reason, Dr. J didn't go that route, though I don't see why he couldn't have if he wanted to. He could have come up with low-cal meals, shakes, bars, etc. like Weight Watchers or Atkins. He could have hired celebrities to promote his diet and products on infomercials, websites, ads. But instead he pretty much laid the whole plan out for us for free on his website. Cool!

Maybe the powers that be that give us our nutrition recommendations don't know enough about it (see it as another fad diet among hundreds) or else they are "afraid" of it since they might worry people will just eat ANYTHING they want on JUDDD instead of going by the nutrition guidelines?

Just some ideas I have. I'm sure more people will post here with better ideas.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
I've only read parts of the book but it seems like a lot of the studies were done on mice! That's a little worrisome but I love eating this way so much that I'm not quitting. Have there been a lot of studies with people? I haven't really done much research yet. Maybe that is the problem of why people haven't heard much about it. Even when you google JUDDD, there really isn't much out there. I'm thinking "calories cycling" diets are pretty similar.
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muchme
Stats: 154/139/130 - 6 # lost on JUDDD
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
Agree w sophie! It's like I always say, "just follow the money." Only the money makers are getting publicity. There's no money to be made here. To me that adds to the sincere simplicity of this WOE. It's what attracted me to JUDDD. The science is what made me stay.
2muchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Best I can figure, it's because there are no forbidden foods or touted "miracle" foods that must be included (unless you count the resveratrol, but that's iffy too), so they can't make much money off it. What I mean is, they haven't come up with a JUDDD line of frozen dinners or shakes. For whatever reason, Dr. J didn't go that route, though I don't see why he couldn't have if he wanted to. He could have come up with low-cal meals, shakes, bars, etc. like Weight Watchers or Atkins. He could have hired celebrities to promote his diet and products on infomercials, websites, ads. But instead he pretty much laid the whole plan out for us for free on his website. Cool!

Maybe the powers that be that give us our nutrition recommendations don't know enough about it (see it as another fad diet among hundreds) or else they are "afraid" of it since they might worry people will just eat ANYTHING they want on JUDDD instead of going by the nutrition guidelines?

Just some ideas I have. I'm sure more people will post here with better ideas.
You guys are prob right about the money thing--forgot about that. I'm sure Dr. J. could have gone that route.
Julie--There are people who live a "calorie restriction" lifestyle for the same health benefits described w/JUDDD. I saw a special on TV and these people ate only about 500-700 cals EVERY DAY! They would go for a walk instead of eating dinner. I do know there is some sort of scientific evidence (other than mice studies) that calorie restriction ensures longevity, but I just don't remember most of it, and I don't remember if the other health benefits were included, besides longevity.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
You guys are prob right about the money thing--forgot about that. I'm sure Dr. J. could have gone that route.
Julie--There are people who live a "calorie restriction" lifestyle for the same health benefits described w/JUDDD. I saw a special on TV and these people ate only about 500-700 cals EVERY DAY! They would go for a walk instead of eating dinner. I do know there is some sort of scientific evidence (other than mice studies) that calorie restriction ensures longevity, but I just don't remember most of it, and I don't remember if the other health benefits were included, besides longevity.
Wow those people must have very slow metabolisms! I would never want to live like that. I love eating too much.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muchme
Stats: 154/139/130 - 6 # lost on JUDDD
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
I tried 500 calories daily. Metabolism was in the basement!
2muchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
that is probably a stupid one...
Since this is the best WOE (or diet, if you want to call it that), and the success rate is so high when followed correctly, there are no forbidden foods, there are tons of health benefits aside from losing weight--why haven't I heard about this years ago? Why haven't most of the people I know ever heard of it? why is it not publicized more? Where's all the TV docs w/shows and stuff singing its praises??
Just wondering...
I guess you could call this both an Old and a New way to eat. Certainly fasting is probably as old as humankind. In all cultures it seems we hear of people fasting for religious reasons, for healing, for clarity of mind. Fasting has also been used for cleansing of both mind and body, in preparation, for example, of an Initiate being accepted into a fraternal order.

Fasting has been recognized for its role in fostering healing in some instances, allowing a body to focus all it's energy and resources into fighting a battle against illness without having to divert energy to digestion. This is one of the things we give our own bodies when we do JUDDD, the rest period of our fasting Down Day to focus on fighting inflammation within our own bodies, just as one example.

Dieting for weight loss using some calorie cycling is probably pretty old too, even if not as a formalized plan. Folks have been *banking* calories even since I was young, certainly, and I'm sure long before that too, eating sparingly for a few meals in order to save up calories to eat lavishly on some fancy occasion. So at least some slight cycling of calories of often done when people try to diet for weight loss and still maintain some slight social life at the same time. LOL

As far as any formalized plans.. those with actual rules, etc.. that I'm not too sure of. I know there were calorie cycling plans in use for at least a decade. I'd never heard of JUDDD until shortly before I started to do it (I'm early in my second year now), and I don't think it's been in *formal existance* for too many years.

Now as far as many of the *fasting* studies, these have been going on for many, many years. I've been reading some of these studies for several years too, and have always thought they were fascinating. But the focus of the work has been far more in determining the strong benefit to length-of-life! And these studies have encompassed far more species than just mice. From flatworms and fruitflys to rats and on to include primates, these calorie restriction studies have shown over and over again the benefit to overall health, to the strong slowing of the signs and effects of aging, and to the lengthening of lifespans by amazing percentages!

Well, I think it's like Atkins, which was in formal practice for over 30 years before I'd ever heard of it. There have been various articles written about calorie cycling & alternate fasting/feasting diet plans.. these appearing in magazines. I think Reader's Digest had an article a few years ago. Various other articles. But it's like anything else.. you never notice it until you're ready.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all that info, Pat. I couldn't remember a lot of the stuff I've read previously about calorie restriction. You are just a WEALTH of information!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
I think Sophie has got it with 'follow the money'. If Dr Johnson had chosen to market specific meal products, he would have spent a fortune in R&D, packaging, advertising, etc. With the strong possibility of failure (so many do fail).

Beyond that, and ignoring packaged meals, look at what would be marketed: planning meals, learning to recognize real hunger, having so much freedom of choice that success lies in taking personal responsibility for what goes in your mouth.

That's a hard sell. I think JUDDD will probably remain an underground movement, a woe that people come to when they are ready to deal with this level of freedom. I am really glad I started with low carb - it taught me a lot about myself. I am also glad I read the posts about JUDDD and made the move to JUDDD.

Keep the forum chatty!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Telling someone to only eat 500 cals or less in a day is probably considered 'taboo.'
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:21 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/118/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I like this WOE mainly because it is real food that we can eat every day, just not so much on DD!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
My theory? Most look at this kind of WOE and think it's too hard; restrict one day, eat the next, measure, weight and count calories, and figure eating the same calories everyday will do the same thing so why bother.

I only found JUDDD out of desperation because LC wasn't working for me anymore and I often ask myself what I WOULD be doing if I didn't fine and give this WOE a try:

Calorie restriction EVERYDAY because that seems more "normal" and has a lot of info on how to do this ^^^ kind of eating plan.

Have any of you heard of JUDDD before this? Not me and if I hadn't been doing LC and been on this LC site I probably would NEVER have found it. Just google diet plans, you won't find JUDDD easily!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 11-19-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Actually, I heard about this from my boss, who is already JUDDDing. So when I goggled JUDDD, I got Dr. J's website, and this forum was one of the results. I have NEVER been so happy to hear about a WOE in my life.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been on this site since 2003 and only read about it here on occasion in the last few months. I'm happy I decided to look at it closer and take the plunge!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Whole Foods. No Sugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by julietcc View Post
I've been on this site since 2003 and only read about it here on occasion in the last few months. I'm happy I decided to look at it closer and take the plunge!
Same here.

I attempted to follow the plan earlier this year-but almost got stoned to death via the net for not following it right, so I quit!

Glad I decided to return to this WOE, cause it is freaking fantastic!!!!
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Actually, I heard about JUDDD and calorie restriction in general a looooong time ago. I just assumed I could not do it. I think I had to come here via low carb (with a motivating lc stall) because lc introduced me to the idea I could control what I eat. JUDDD is definitely find-tuning and upgrading that knowledge!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote