Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin
Up Day Calories

Hi, I am new here and just starting to look at JUDDD. I have a question, what are the calories on your up days? Are they the total calories or are they reduced in some way. My down days are 616 and the total is 3082 at 20%. (as you can see by these numbers I have a ton to lose) I have just ordered the book but was wondering. Thanks
Wishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Hiya Wishin! It appears to me your DD calories are 616 and your UD calories are 3082. I personally feel that the UD calories are a bit generous. If you could get by on less, I would certainly do so. Perhaps 2700??

Last edited by kel7298; 11-18-2011 at 10:29 AM..
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin
Wow, I was wondering if that was truly the up day calories. I agree with that being to high, I was just wondering. Thanks.
Wishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
I would go here and take an average of these 3 sites and start there.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...lculators.html
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
So.... .Exactly what SHOULD the Up Day caloric limit be based upon? I know we don't need to eat up to that limit if we don't have the hunger , but really what should it be?

Should the upper limit be the maintenance calories considering activity levels?
Should it be BMR?
Should it be 100% of maintenance calories or 90% or 80%?
if you don't have to eat to the maximum calories for an Up Day, then why intentionally limit your UP Day calories to an artificial ceiling that you'd have to "break" if you needed more calories on a random upday than on others? and then go and feel guilty about it, cause we know how we are.

Yesterday, I had my up day and for some reason, when I got up to 1200, I felt I had to stop. then I went back and checked and remembered my caloric limit was actually 1600 by JUDD calcs and 1700 by my regular calorie calcs. So why was i feeling guilty about being hungry and wanting more?? It was MY Up Day! So because I was still hungry, I was able to eat another serving of food without feeling guilty because I really had permission to eat to my body weights caloric max.

Try taking an average of multiple calorie calculators and then use that number and don't bother trying to make it lower, You have permission to eat to your caloric max on your updays, It's part of the plan.

If you can keep to 20% of that limit on down days ( good luck to all) , then you'd be doing it just right.
I'd say try it as is, and then, Like Beeb has done, you can tweak it as you see the results. And don't expect that what happens the first few days is indicative of the whole plan. give it at least 2 weeks, cause you might ( very likely will) fluctuate up and down from up day to down day and that might not have anything to do directly with the number of calories but just the weight and quality of the food you choose. If you eat more liquids and carbs on your up day you will likely show more gains, than if you eat calorically dense meats and fats. and don't feel bad if you have gains after a down day, it's not always about what happened yesterday, but it may be an affect from the day before.

I ate 1800 calories yesterday, of thick heavy soupy curry with meat and veggies and yet I came Down, after that up day.

Just find a calorie limit that seems honest to you and go with that. You won't have to second guess yourself that way.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
So.... .Exactly what SHOULD the Up Day caloric limit be based upon? I know we don't need to eat up to that limit if we don't have the hunger , but really what should it be?

Should the upper limit be the maintenance calories considering activity levels?
Should it be BMR?
Should it be 100% of maintenance calories or 90% or 80%?
if you don't have to eat to the maximum calories for an Up Day, then why intentionally limit your UP Day calories to an artificial ceiling that you'd have to "break" if you needed more calories on a random upday than on others? and then go and feel guilty about it, cause we know how we are.

Yesterday, I had my up day and for some reason, when I got up to 1200, I felt I had to stop. then I went back and checked and remembered my caloric limit was actually 1600 by JUDD calcs and 1700 by my regular calorie calcs. So why was i feeling guilty about being hungry and wanting more?? It was MY Up Day! So because I was still hungry, I was able to eat another serving of food without feeling guilty because I really had permission to eat to my body weights caloric max.

Try taking an average of multiple calorie calculators and then use that number and don't bother trying to make it lower, You have permission to eat to your caloric max on your updays, It's part of the plan.

If you can keep to 20% of that limit on down days ( good luck to all) , then you'd be doing it just right.
I'd say try it as is, and then, Like Beeb has done, you can tweak it as you see the results. And don't expect that what happens the first few days is indicative of the whole plan. give it at least 2 weeks, cause you might ( very likely will) fluctuate up and down from up day to down day and that might not have anything to do directly with the number of calories but just the weight and quality of the food you choose. If you eat more liquids and carbs on your up day you will likely show more gains, than if you eat calorically dense meats and fats. and don't feel bad if you have gains after a down day, it's not always about what happened yesterday, but it may be an affect from the day before.

I ate 1800 calories yesterday, of thick heavy soupy curry with meat and veggies and yet I came Down, after that up day.

Just find a calorie limit that seems honest to you and go with that. You won't have to second guess yourself that way.
And wiser words will not be found!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
WOE: JUDDD
Hi there and

For myself I used my goal weight on the calorie calculator. But, I am much closer to goal than you are. If I had more weight still to lose I would probably break it down into mini goals and use my mini goal as the weight input and then adjust it down as I went along getting closer to each goal. For example if I wanted to lose say 100lbs, I might break it down into 25lb increments and set each goal that way so that I would input my weight as 25lbs lighter than it is into the calculator and go from there. As I approached each new goal I would input my new goal weight and adjust my calories down some more. Remember that the UD calories are basically what you would have to eat each day to maintain your current weight. The DD calories help bring your calories down further so that you are not eating enough to maintain that weight if you average the calories out. As you get slimmer you need less calories to maintain your weight and therefore even less calories to lose weight.

I wish you lots of luck and am sure you will be happy when you see the results you get with JUDDD. Remember that calories can always be adjusted if the numbers you are using don't seem to be working. If you seem to be having problems losing with the calories you decide on, get on the board and let everyone know so we can help.
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote