Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I have to say, I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/745890-i-have-say-im-looking-forward-thanksgiving.html)

Dottie 11-17-2011 09:23 AM

I have to say, I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving

for the first time in years!
I will probably stay low(ish) carb for most of it, but knowing I COULD have pie, or a dinner roll, or whatever and not have a serious guilt complex after is just such a good feeling :)
But ham, turkey, broccoli and cauliflower with butter and I'll probably be full anyway. I'm making some of the sweets (not pie or cake) so I can even make things like a sugar free pumpkin bake or something along those lines:)
I feel FREE to enjoy the holiday foods!

Sandelio 11-17-2011 09:25 AM

I "WAS" enjoying the thoughts and had my DD/UD's plotted - but now of course there's invitation after invitation that are trying to screw things up!!! MIGHT have to allow a MD on Friday - and I really didn't wanna do that!

:mad:

Dottie 11-17-2011 09:27 AM

Sandy maybe you can stay just above DD calories and not go all the way to a MD level?

Sandelio 11-17-2011 09:29 AM

:lol: ....or I could just have only alcohol calories!

Just Kidding! :hyst:

sophiethecat 11-17-2011 09:34 AM

lol, you guys :)

I am so looking forward to Tgiving!! It rocks to not have to ONLY eat LC foods, but to at least know we have the option of anything on the table, right Dot? :)

I have a Tgiving meal with family this Sat. and one on Tgiving with the other side of the family. I plan to make both FD since I'm on maintenance.

Here are my favorite Tgiving foods:

turkey of course, each bite dipped in the mashed potatoes & gravy!
stuffing, mp & gravy
mac & cheese
broccoli cheese casserole (hope my aunt makes it this year!)
green beans

:)

Dottie 11-17-2011 09:37 AM

Well I can bet the turkey will be just an obligatory bite (since my sil is cooking it, will be turkey jerky lol). But my bother makes the best ham - he glazes it with butter, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and crushed red pepper flakes (just a touch for some spice). Now I can gain 10lbs of water from the ham alone lol -but "cover me, I'm diving in!" :D

sophiethecat 11-17-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15183730)
Well I can bet the turkey will be just an obligatory bite (since my sil is cooking it, will be turkey jerky lol). But my bother makes the best ham - he glazes it with butter, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and crushed red pepper flakes (just a touch for some spice). Now I can gain 10lbs of water from the ham alone lol -but "cover me, I'm diving in!" :D

:hyst:

Dottie 11-17-2011 09:41 AM

Hand me a snorkel :hyst:

Beeb 11-17-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15183742)
Hand me a snorkel :hyst:

And don't forget the face mask!!! :hyst::lol::jumpjoy::laugh:

OH :yummy::yummy::yummy: on that ham!! Get the recipe, I want to do this soon!!

Dottie 11-17-2011 09:54 AM

Oh yeah mask, those chili flakes would probably burn my eyes lol.
I'll ask him the recipe:)

Kissa 11-17-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandelio (Post 15183696)
:lol: ....or I could just have only alcohol calories!

Just Kidding! :hyst:

You are my kind of girl, lol.

dasiey 11-17-2011 10:16 AM

I loved this thread made me laugh.

Beeb 11-17-2011 10:17 AM

Was thinking about this yesterday. People were asking what to bring, and it' really my answer to ask for desserts. All the other years I would have to bake something for ME to eat, but this year I can have a little dessert that I want.

I'm making Pumpkin Custard Pie and I just can't wait to have a piece this year! All the other years it was bake this wonderful pie and sigh :(, now it's bake and EAT!!! :jumpjoy:

handbells 11-17-2011 10:52 AM

I am so Thankful I have an UD on Thanksgiving! It's my second favorite holiday (4th. Of July is 1st) and I plan to enjoy myself! I *will* have turkey (with a little skin!), ham, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, a roll, dessert, and anything else I want!

That pie sounds delicious, Linda!

Sandelio, I'd use some alcohol calories too!

Sandelio 11-17-2011 12:23 PM

:hyst: "Bake and EAT" - sounds like a perfect thread name for the cookie recipe thread I was thinking of starting!

;)

sazzie 11-17-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15183730)

I'm still laughing at ^^^^^

Joedi 11-17-2011 04:31 PM

Am suffering pangs of jealously here! I want a thanksgiving dinner too!

Wish we had it in the UK.

I HAVE got a tin of pumpkin in my cupboard tho! Not sure what to make with it! It was SO hard to find, I finally had to buy it online, and it wasn't cheap, so I don't want to open it for something less than a spectacular recipe... Lol!

Any suggestion? Then I can at least have a mini t/giving for myself over here!

Hugs
Jo
X

Dottie 11-17-2011 04:35 PM

Canned pumpkin freezes very nicely:) Just put 1-2T in each compartment of an ice cube tray, freeze then put those is a freezer safe bag to store :)

Speck333 11-17-2011 04:36 PM

I never deprived myself of enjoying the holiday feast days, Atkins or not. Thursdays are an up day for me anyway, so I'm glad about that. What makes me nervous are the Friday leftovers! :eek: Good thing we always to to MIL's house, so I'll be sure to only take home turkey, which I don't care for anyway. lol

handbells 11-17-2011 04:37 PM

Gooey Pumpkin Butter Cake!

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

Speck333 11-17-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedi (Post 15184986)
Am suffering pangs of jealously here! I want a thanksgiving dinner too!

Wish we had it in the UK.

I HAVE got a tin of pumpkin in my cupboard tho! Not sure what to make with it! It was SO hard to find, I finally had to buy it online, and it wasn't cheap, so I don't want to open it for something less than a spectacular recipe... Lol!

Any suggestion? Then I can at least have a mini t/giving for myself over here!

Hugs
Jo
X

I suggest you make a pumpkin cheesecake.Pumpkin Cheesecake
OR the pumpkin roll
LIBBY'SŪ Pumpkin Roll

sophiethecat 11-17-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck333 (Post 15185004)
I suggest you make a pumpkin cheesecake.Pumpkin Cheesecake
OR the pumpkin roll
LIBBY'SŪ Pumpkin Roll

MMM, my vote is for the pumpkin roll!! :love: I can't get the Libby recipe to pull up but I love my Mom's - it's the best I've ever had. Pumpkin rolls are much easier to make than they look!

2muchme 11-17-2011 05:05 PM

Oh, absolutely, Jo. Just eat to being stuffed. Wait a few hours, then do it again. A parade, then football game on TV. A few drinks or so. All your family, whether or not you are talking to them at the time. Oh, and of course, must wear looser than normal pants to allow for expansion. :D

sophiethecat 11-17-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2muchme (Post 15185068)
Oh, absolutely, Jo. Just eat to being stuffed. Wait a few hours, then do it again. A parade, then football game on TV. A few drinks or so. All your family, whether or not you are talking to them at the time. Oh, and of course, must wear looser than normal pants to allow for expansion. :D

Turkey coma after the big meal :D Yeah right, it's probably not the turkey but all the carby sides we enjoy, lol.

Looking through the stack of christmas sale ads together and planning.

Board games like Upwords and Scrabble.

Too much coffee and dessert after the meal.

Going back for another round of the leftovers a few hours later.

:)

2muchme 11-17-2011 05:15 PM

Yeah, the stores this time of year.....makes me thirsty for eggnog!!!! :laugh:

kel7298 11-17-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2muchme (Post 15185092)
Yeah, the stores this time of year.....makes me thirsty for eggnog!!!! :laugh:

Spiked of course!

I also vote for the pumpkin roll. So yummy and not that difficult just as Sophie says.

2muchme 11-17-2011 05:39 PM

Of course spiked...what would be the point otherwise?!! :hyst:

Anyone know the history of eggnog? It's one of those things I've been curious about. Certainly, they were intoxicated in the first place. I mean, raw egg, alcohol...and oh yes, just throw some nutmeg on that?!!! Really? :rofl:

sophiethecat 11-17-2011 05:45 PM

OK, I went and got the recipe and typed it out for ya'll. I don't know where she got the recipe, and it may be the Libby one, but I couldn't get the website to work. I'll just call it...

My Mom's Pumpkin Roll

PART ONE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a jellyroll pan (large baking sheet with low sides).

Cut a piece of wax paper to fit and put it in the greased pan, pressing it up the sides. Grease the wax paper.

Mix in order -

1. 3 eggs
2. 1 cup sugar
3. 2/3 cup pumpkin
4. 1/2 teas. baking soda + 1 teas. baking powder
5. 1/2 teas. cinnamon
6. 3/4 cup flour

Beat hard with a mixer. Whip it. Whip it good. :cool: Do this for about a minute.

Spread into the pan evenly to all the sides. Sprinkle on chopped walnuts. Bake for 15 minutes.

While it's baking...

PART TWO

Get out 2 to 3 clean dish towels to cover the surface area of the baking pan. Lay them together (side by side) flat on a surface. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.

As soon as the pumpkin roll is out of the oven, turn it out onto the dish towels.

Roll everything up, starting with the smaller end. Leave the wax paper on. Make the roll tighter at the start and a little looser as you roll.

Let cool completely.

PART THREE

Prepare the filling:

2 Tablespoons butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 teas. vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar, packed

Unroll the cooled cake. Remove the towels and wax paper. Spread the filling over the roll. Reroll the roll. :D (Note: Don't roll it back up with the towels or wax paper!)

Wrap it in wax paper, then plastic wrap and keep in the fridge.

sophiethecat 11-17-2011 05:50 PM

BTW, that pumpkin roll is EXPECTED to make its appearance at Thanksgiving AND Christmas... or else! :laugh:

It's so easy and fun to make that me and my boys made it last year on one of their Christmas vacation days from school.

2muchme 11-17-2011 05:51 PM

Wow, Sophie, that sounds like something even I could do. I've only ever bought these before - I was convinced it was too difficult.

And it sounds incredible....thank you!!! :yummy: